• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC (DJMAX successor) coming to North America Fall 2015 (PS Vita)

unkeysounded? Does that mean if I miss a note during gameplay, the music will still keep playing and not mute like it would it DJ Max Portable?

Hubb

unkeysounded? Does that mean if I miss a note during gameplay, the music will still keep playing and not mute like it would it DJ Max Portable?

I think it means when you press a key/note it doesn't make a sound, you don't have to miss. Some games have percussion sounds tied to the flying notes, others let you choose what sound goes off when you press a button.

I think it means when you press a key/note it doesn't make a sound, you don't have to miss. Some games have percussion sounds tied to the flying notes, others let you choose what sound goes off when you press a button.

Oh I see. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification!

Kumubou

Keysoundless music gaming is becoming a thing lately, unfortunately. Even pop'n music introduced unkeysounded licensed music a few years ago.
I think it's always been a thing -- having to have keysounded tracks means you have to have access to the source material for the music, which really limits your options. Even if the music is done in-house, you still need to get the per-track data into a format that the game can parse and get all of the samples split up for the game. That probably isn't too bad if they have a standardized workflow, which I imagine they would if they've been working in the genre for the last decade but who knows.

I think an interesting compromise would be how Sound Voltex handles it, where the main track isn't keysounded but the additional effects are. Woooooooosh.

I really hope the game isn't as grindy as most of the DJMax games are, though (wishful thinking, given its Korean heritage). The only games I could tolerate in that regard were Fever (as it was adjusted for the US release and had more content than P2 did) and Trilogy (because the amount of content Trilogy had was insane at the time).

Falk

that puzzling face
I think it's always been a thing -- having to have keysounded tracks means you have to have access to the source material for the music, which really limits your options. Even if the music is done in-house, you still need to get the per-track data into a format that the game can parse and get all of the samples split up for the game. That probably isn't too bad if they have a standardized workflow, which I imagine they would if they've been working in the genre for the last decade but who knows.

Speaking as someone who basically held a job for 2+ years doing nothing but chopping up stems into keysounds for a proprietary format (well, and game design. And content acquisition/contracts. And customer rep. And event management jakfslkdkfajsldkfjsdf) it's both a tedious and rewarding job. Had I had the time, I'd probably have started writing tools to help with the process since a lot of the stuff was rote button presses, along with the fact that audio processing/analysis tools have become pretty nuts in the past 5 years.

Also lest we forget, Rock Band managed to get the Beatles multitrack recording, something that's virtually unheard of in the music world, let alone for vidya games. Of course, that's a runaway success story and probably doesn't apply to what's essentially niche/indie devs from Japan/Korea.

dkoy

Saw the video earlier on reddit. Had to stop watching because it wasn't good for my heart. Damn now I wish Portable 2 came to EU on digital :(

cj_iwakura

One of my favorite rhythm games. It added 4b FX which was so fun. 8 button mode is too crazy, but 4 button with triggers is more manageable for me.
Five button will always be my favorite, since the center can be done with either right or square.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'd really rather have animated BGAs(or even stills) over watching random visualizations.
Nah, stills would look even cheaper than this. Looks like the budget for Superbeat is minuscule.

alcheim

I really wish they made it key sounded --and not the lazy kind of keysounding used in Project Diva and its ilk.

I know it's a tedious job chopping up sound samples, and then laying them onto the chart patterns... but if budget was the concern, there are lots of relatively affordable small studios in south east asia that could do that kind of work for a pittance.

Falk

that puzzling face
Or me. :p

(Well technically I'm in South East Asia right now)

Incidentally doing keysounds well is something of an art form. It's very easy to do them badly and have the result be a janky, disjointed mess. It's not something as easily outsourcable as, say, art assets or CGI.

The lack of an MV might just be for that button mode though (which I'm assuming is 8B, the highest). Portable 1 just had a visualiser for 8B tracks (due to memory issues I presume).

Omg, u can play with buttons.

God I am 100% IN NOW!!!

RiP my vita, just like DjMAX did for my psp....

Time I go ahead and secure a spare one, man I'm getting too excited!

Falk

that puzzling face
The lack of an MV might just be for that button mode though (which I'm assuming is 8B, the highest). Portable 1 just had a visualiser for 8B tracks (due to memory issues I presume).

One, Beatcraft didn't have BGA either

Two, that'd be something they'd be shouting from the rooftops. The MV jockeys DJMAX franchise had are top-tier.

kaiyo

I really hope this is Vita TV compatible so I can gift it to some friends. :D

Can I be your friend? =D

Playing DJ Max Portable 3 on the Vita gives me thumb cramps because the face buttons are to close to each other. Didn't get them on PSP. =/

I really wish they made it key sounded --and not the lazy kind of keysounding used in Project Diva and its ilk.

I know it's a tedious job chopping up sound samples, and then laying them onto the chart patterns... but if budget was the concern, there are lots of relatively affordable small studios in south east asia that could do that kind of work for a pittance.

That's what I love about DJ Max. Other games feel hollow/cheap with out key sounded.

RMI

Banned
Holy crap I was just a few days ago lamenting the fact that we weren't getting more DJMAX games. Day 1 purchase for me right here.

Andrefpvs

I'm going to need to play a demo before I can decide.

Every rhythm game I've ever purchased was based on a demo, there really is no other way to get a feel for the gameplay.

Could somebody post a list of all the Vita music games? Physical and digital only?

I have nearly all the PSP ones, might start on a Vita collection.

cj_iwakura

Could somebody post a list of all the Vita music games? Physical and digital only?

I have nearly all the PSP ones, might start on a Vita collection.

Uh... not many, really. Offhand... Taiko no Tatsujin V, DJ MAX Technika Tune, Magical Beat(if that counts), Lumines(stretching it), the Hatsune Miku games, and the forthcoming IA/VT if it ever comes out. There may be others I'm missing, but not as many as the PSP had. (Which really wasn't that many either, just stellar DJ MAX support.)

Deft Beck

Uh... not many, really. Offhand... Taiko no Tatsujin V, DJ MAX Technika Tune, Magical Beat(if that counts), Lumines(stretching it), the Hatsune Miku games, and the forthcoming IA/VT if it ever comes out. There may be others I'm missing, but not as many as the PSP had. (Which really wasn't that many either, just stellar DJ MAX support.)

IA/VT is coming out this week, actually.

There's also Hideboh: Tap Dance Hero and Bakumatsu Spirits: Ultra Soul (mostly a visual novel)

hamchan

I think there's a lot of rhythm games on Vita personally. Enough to last me hundreds of hours playing them at least.

Deft Beck

Kickbeat is also on Vita.

Kickbeat is not very good. The songlist lacks diversity and the "notes" become almost unreadable on higher difficulties. It looks and runs very smooth, though.

Thanks guys. MUSYNC is pretty good too, unavailable now though (PS Mobile title).

MUSYNC is now MUSYNC ~Unity~ on iOS. Same gameplay, but with a couple of twists. Most of the same songs are available, with DLC options like the first game.

MUSYNC is now MUSYNC ~Unity~ on iOS. Same gameplay, but with a couple of twists. Most of the same songs are available, with DLC options like the first game.

I think the developer said he was planning on making a native Vita version in the future, too (based on the iOS version, but with button controls included)

YESSSSSSSS!

I can't believe that on a day they announced Dragon Quest XI, this is actually my favorite news of the day.

So hyped!

Edit: Wait, this is not new? As in announced today? How did I miss this when the game was announced?!

Play-Asia just charged my card for Taiko and IA/VT so IA/VT does exist.

Top Bottom