• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHYPERCUBE cancels Oculus support

CookedMiniatureGreatwhiteshark.gif

Tagyhag

I know politics are a big ticket issue atm and that the group he donated too has apparently done some really bad stuff.
That doesn't necessarily mean at the time he donated he knew they were doing terrible stuff - it's possible they hadn't been known for that stuff, but only him and that company know the truth behind all of this. Everything we've heard is essentially second hand information or one guy taking it a bit lightly.

Here is what I know - none of this has anything to do with my gaming experience. I cannot tell someone where to put their money, nor can I condone them for possibly enacting their right to free speech even if I completely disagree with what and how it's being said.

But none of this to me has anything to do with video games. This is his personal life and possibly his personal beliefs. I may hate them, but he has a right to have them and people can be upset. To me, this is irrelevant to video games, so I cannot seem to find the same anger others have.

If I get a rift; I'm getting it to play games. People here show little remorse for buying electronics made with parts that come from conflict mines, but now we're upset over some donations and possible few shit posts that may have come from a guy at the top of the rift mountain.

I feel like people are always looking for ways to be upset over politics and ignoring the much bigger issues. I do not own a rift and has debated about getting one or getting a vice if and when games reach full potential on them. I just feel like this is much todo about nothing. He can believe and support anything he wants imo unless it's illegal. That's his personal choice. It doesn't affect me or my ability to game.

Some of us could be killed if Luckey got his way. What's more important than that? People sitting down for the national anthem?

How could I ever give money to someone that at the very best is content with white supremacy?

By common sense, yes, but making what is essentially a anonymous donation to a political group is probably not grounds for firing, but i'm definitely not a lawyer. What has occurred just comes across to me as incredibly tricky to lawfully fire someone for considering Cali's law against firing for political affiliation. If Oculus has no way to fire him for that, coming out and condemning a person who still works for you would be a bad move.

California is an At Will Employment state from what I'm reading.

http://www.californialaborlawattorney.com/newsletters/rights-of-at-will-employees-in-california

They could fire anyone for way less.

California is an At Will Employment state from what I'm reading.

http://www.californialaborlawattorney.com/newsletters/rights-of-at-will-employees-in-california

They could fire anyone for way less.

there are still protections in place even in at will states, political affiliation might be one of them. However there is a difference between some desk jockey at a company revealing he voted for Trump and being fired for it, versus a very public persona (whose job it is to basically be the public face of the company) funding hate speech that might give Facebook more wiggle room in this regard. Might also depend if there are specific clauses in their agreement/contract with Palmer with regards to public image.

Bennicus

Well, big douchebags or bigots at clear sight are always a good start.

Would you happily support "Pharmabro" Martin Shkreli or Mylan's Heather Bresch?

No I personally wouldn't, and totally support people taking action against companies with questionable attitudes and business practices.

Edit: I suppose it's fair to condemn a company for knowingly employing racist or otherwise unethical individuals, especially someone so high profile.

Double edit with some context so my first edit makes sense: I had written about trying to separate the individuals awful behaviour from their employers business practices, but who you employ is also part of your business.

Business

Gun simulator, but it's important to note that it's not a violent game. No killing, etc. Anton has purposely kept the game more in the lines of target shooting and other more silly things. Sure H3VR undoubtedly has fans from the right (and alt-right), but it also has plenty of support from the center and left (including myself). It was certainly a risk doing what he did, but it wasn't going to alienate his entire user base.

On the topic, I'd also like to mention that Anton is probably my favorite VR dev at this point. He's friendly, interacts with the community, and has done damn near weekly updates with video devlogs since the Vive first hit the market. The game has come a long way since those first days, and continues to get better. H3VR isn't for everybody, but if you're interested in guns (and not killing), there's nothing better out there right now.

It's indeed a really cool game. Sometimes it makes you wish reloading was easier or that you had more ammo but the shooting feels really fantastic.

For the first time ever im on Phil's side. Wonder if any other companies like Harmonix will step out of the ring next.

I don't think Harmonix can afford to do so. Their one VR project, Rock Band VR, has been in development for nearly a year now, they have a deal with Oculus, and they're just getting by from the looks of things.

I'd be impressed if they did, but I'm not holding my breath.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades dev is canceling official Oculus and Touch support for now (Should still work with Touch in Steam VR of course but not "officially"). Really great video of the dev talking about it. Also incredibly fascinating given the context of the game (a hyper real gun simulator). The dev is not unaware of this little twist. He has been quoted in some of the stories, but his entire speech on it is really good.

This guy is awesome.

Zalusithix

It's indeed a really cool game. Sometimes it makes you wish reloading was easier or that you had more ammo but the shooting feels really fantastic.

Reloading is fairly easy when you get the hang of it. Handguns in particular are really easy now if you have the alignment and clipping options enabled. Not sure what you mean about ammo though. Larger magazines to reduce how often you have to reload? I mean, you can spawn lock magazines to your "vest" slots so that you're effectively carrying around unlimited ammunition.

I feel like people are always looking for ways to be upset over politics and ignoring the much bigger issues.

The bigger issues of what..... ?

Bigger than who is running our country? Bigger than supporting a racist who has said multiple times that he just wants to nuke countries?

Kid, what do you think politics MEANS?

It doesn't affect me or my ability to game.

It 100% does affect you.

It must be nice to prioritize entertainment over the real world.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
This is fucking bullshit! Why should I be penalized for something someone may or may not have done? And what about the thousands of other Rift owners who aren't going to be getting some games now. Fucking bullshit tbh.

This is fucking bullshit! Why should I be penalized for something someone may or may not have done? And what about the thousands of other Rift owners who aren't going to be getting some games now. Fucking bullshit tbh.
You can still play it. They can't stop the SteamVR version from working with Rift.
Also - you are not entitled to play everything.

dLMN8R

You are not entitled to have developers create games for your platform.

Developers are not obligated to support a platform that associates with a piece of shit who directly funds harassers like GamerGate who made the developers' lives miserable.

If we've learned anything over the last two days it's that apparently there is money to be made in shit posts like these.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
You can still play it. They can't stop the SteamVR version from working with Rift.
Also - you are not entitled to play everything.

You are not entitled to have developers create games for your platform.

Developers are not obligated to support a platform that associates with a piece of shit who directly funds harassers like GamerGate who made the developers' lives miserable.

If we've learned anything over the last two days it's that apparently there is money to be made in shit posts like these.

Yeah maybe I'm just a bit annoyed that politics is spewing over into something I love my bad.

dLMN8R

Yeah maybe I'm just a bit annoyed that politics is spewing over into something I love my bad.

You should consider yourself lucky that "annoyed" is the only negative thing you're experiencing right now.

Perhaps you should reach outside your bubble and consider what it would be like for your entire life to be destroyed. What if every personal detail about you and every single person you love was exposed to the world? Every email? Every text? Every financial transaction?

Lets say you owned your own business. What if every single detail about that business was revealed to the world? Every contract you ever signed, ever contract you ever had others sign? Every one of your customers, every dollar you've ever spent, ever invested, ever earned? Out there in the open?

What if thousands of people were incessantly sending you death threats? What if they were sending your parents death threats? Not vague and unspecific, but very specific. They talk about places you actually go, your home's actual address, and it never ever ends. Months go by, and it never ends. Day in, day out, assholes on the internet forever trying to make you uncomfortable. You can't trust anyone.

Now what if you just found out who helped fund such reprehensible actions? What if you knew a name of who personally was partially responsible for upending your entire life?

Would you want to make that man money? Would you want to contribute to that man's further success? Or would you want to sever all ties with that person?

robotrock

Banned
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades dev is canceling official Oculus and Touch support for now (Should still work with Touch in Steam VR of course but not "officially"). Really great video of the dev talking about it. Also incredibly fascinating given the context of the game (a hyper real gun simulator). The dev is not unaware of this little twist. He has been quoted in some of the stories, but his entire speech on it is really good.

I am a fan of this guy

Cindro

did you actually expect Occulus to get every single piece of VR software ever created when making your purchase?

Edit: I'm sorry for the original patronizing tone

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I better not catch any of you who are pissed at Oculus at a Chick fil a! ;)

Seriously though, let's say he doesn't resign/fired or whatever, what else could he do to relieve the situation?

Donate a substantial amount to a good cause?
Apologize and denounce the shitty group he was part of? I don't know.

Sometimes I think firing or resigning is the easy way out. Maybe some good can come out of this.

Akronis

YouTube comments disgusting as always... I don't even know what I expected.

Nzyme32

Seriously though, let's say he doesn't resign/fired or whatever, what else could he do to relieve the situation?

Sometimes I think firing or resigning is the easy way out. Maybe some good can come out of this.

Imo there is nothing he can do. He has an amazingly long list of outright lies and this is just so many notches worse. The gall and contempt towards others to lie in an apology for something of this nature is just.. I don't know; insulting, infuriating, hilarious.. Oculus themselves also lied through the hardware from fiasco amongst other things. Together with their approach and policies, they feel like one and the same.

As far as I am concerned there is no coming back from that. There is no trust or belief in them from me.

KageMaru

I'm canceling my support for SuperHyperCube.

Are you being serious?

The best thing would be for Pulmer to lose his job and all credibility in the industry (if he hasn't already).

While donating to a good cause would do some good, it would also be done for the wrong reason IMO. For any rich bigot to think they can throw some money at a good cause and all would be forgiven is not how I want this to play out.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Are you being serious?

The best thing would be for Pulmer to lose his job and all credibility in the industry (if he hasn't already).

While donating to a good cause would do some good, it would also be done for the wrong reason IMO. For any rich bigot to think they can throw some money at a good cause and all would be forgiven is not how I want this to play out.

If a rich bigot loses his job, he's still a rich bigot. If he donates lots of money to inner city schools, food for the poor, or even an anti-bullying campaign, that could actually help someone.

Just trying to be constructive.

Tagyhag

Yeah man....Agendas are bad for gaming!

Welcome to the real world. Must have been nice spend years in your bubble, but you can now come out and join the people that have been dealing with bs for years. :p

KageMaru

If a rich bigot loses his job, he's still a rich bigot. If he donates lots of money to inner city schools, food for the poor, or even an anti-bullying campaign, that could actually help someone.

Just trying to be constructive.

Well I guess the best scenario we can hope for is that he does donate to a good cause but pressure still builds on Facebook to cut all ties to him and can his ass.

I'm all for good causes, but him being basically shunned from the industry, and any influence he could have in it, would also be good in the end.

He's a Trump supporter so sadly yes.

Thanks and yeah that is sad.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I watched the devlog.

The Oculus aspect starts around 14:30. I highly recommend listening to Anton's thoughts.

Acerac

Banned
It makes me happy that Phil Fish has this opportunity to give a figurative middle finger to the GGers that gave him such a headache a couple years back.

Usobuko

Banned
I wasn't very interested in VR after trying it but if I do get a Vive or a PS4+VR , I am going to need a list of developers who advocate equality by dropping their support of Occulus Rift.

I am going to buy all their games.

Zalusithix

Given the amount of times he's lied or backtracked on things, you couldn't really take any apology (an actual one, not the current psuedo-apology) or denouncement seriously. That would be a start, perhaps, but he'd need to do a lot more to get people to believe him at this point. That's the bed he's made for himself though, so I don't feel bad for him. Actions eventually catch up with a person... His just caught up faster than average.

This is actually not a bad question, and I don't know that there are any good answers that don't essentially involve him changing his political activities or outlook. In a lot of ways, the damage has already been done. There's no taking back the millions of dollars he earned in the Facebook buyout, or the hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Oculus Rift Kickstarter. Asking Palmer Luckey to reverse course and pledge support for Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or Jimmy Carter or whatever is not going to happen, and as much as I would want him to, I would rather he not change his political stripes under duress, because he felt like an internet mob won't have it any other way.

Facebook could let Palmer Luckey go, or he could resign. Fine. But ultimately, that's a move that makes it okay in more people's heads to buy Oculus without having it represent anti-Muslim or anti-Hispanic demagoguery; it doesn't change the fact that it exists, and that Palmer Luckey will continue to fund it. It might limit Luckey's future earning potential; on the other hand, it might not, because this is Silicon Valley, and all manner of amoral power-mad billionaires run fiefdoms there and could maybe use someone like Luckey on their team. You're probably not going to know which one, because as soon as he leaves Oculus, all eyes fall off him. It's just the natural course of things; we cannot keep our eye on every ball, and eventually we will all lose track of what happened to Palmer Luckey unless the press keeps an eye on him. If he lays low long enough, even that will stop.

So what's left? Very little that does anything except make you, the potential or current Oculus owner, feel better about having essentially no control over this whole debacle. I can't just return my Oculus Rift. I can, of course, choose not to buy the Oculus Touch, and right now that's my plan. But I still own this device that doesn't do any harm to anyone just sitting here, but nevertheless now represents a political worldview I vehemently disagree with. I could set it on fire; that might make me feel better because this thing is no longer in my household. But it's not only wasteful, it's ultimately meaningless to anyone except me and anyone inclined to take it as a political statement (which it is). I could resell it, maybe make some of my money back. Maybe that too is the best course of action. But at most, that means one less person inclined to give Oculus money because they'll instead give it to you; it doesn't make Palmer Luckey any less able to use his wealth to fund hatred, not right now.

I think a lot of the flailing you see in these threads about people saying they'll no longer support Oculus (and I am absolutely one of those people) is the end result of people seeing an awful thing happen and realizing that their power to change that awful thing is extremely limited. So we resort to acts that, in the end, are symbolic at best. Maybe, if we're really smart about marshaling our forces, we can get a consumer boycott of Oculus happening. The dev boycott is already starting (and to be honest I think that will be much more effective than a consumer boycott). But ultimately, unless it absolutely sinks Oculus, it affects Luckey himself very little. He's already made his millions. He can retreat into obscurity and continue to support people like Trump in secret, and what can we do about it except advocate with our voices in response?

I think a lot of the flailing you see in these threads about people saying they'll no longer support Oculus (and I am absolutely one of those people) is the end result of people seeing an awful thing happen and realizing that their power to change that awful thing is extremely limited.

Best sentence in the thread.

I love libertarians. They don't want to impose The Civil Rights act on businesses because the market should get to decide if it doesn't want to support bigotry.
When the market shows it doesn't want support bigotry in both voice and actions "Blargh! people shouldn't be punished for their beliefs!"

Can't have it both ways

Free association, right?

eggandI

Banned
I know politics are a big ticket issue atm and that the group he donated too has apparently done some really bad stuff.
That doesn't necessarily mean at the time he donated he knew they were doing terrible stuff - it's possible they hadn't been known for that stuff, but only him and that company know the truth behind all of this. Everything we've heard is essentially second hand information or one guy taking it a bit lightly.

Here is what I know - none of this has anything to do with my gaming experience. I cannot tell someone where to put their money, nor can I condone them for possibly enacting their right to free speech even if I completely disagree with what and how it's being said.

But none of this to me has anything to do with video games. This is his personal life and possibly his personal beliefs. I may hate them, but he has a right to have them and people can be upset. To me, this is irrelevant to video games, so I cannot seem to find the same anger others have.

If I get a rift; I'm getting it to play games. People here show little remorse for buying electronics made with parts that come from conflict mines, but now we're upset over some donations and possible few shit posts that may have come from a guy at the top of the rift mountain.

I feel like people are always looking for ways to be upset over politics and ignoring the much bigger issues. I do not own a rift and has debated about getting one or getting a vice if and when games reach full potential on them. I just feel like this is much todo about nothing. He can believe and support anything he wants imo unless it's illegal. That's his personal choice. It doesn't affect me or my ability to game.

Yikes

I mean no one can force you to care about any of this of course, but the way I see it is if I can do something about not supporting garbage human beings then I'll do it.

Dryk

And now you know what it's like to be a minority in Trump's America

Kawika

There are so many larger issues in this world. We often see bigotry somewhere in a western nation and get really upset but when we hear a half world away a person wasn't called a dirty word but murdered for being who they are, what do we do?

Everyone hates Subway Jerrod for what he did but how many people go where children sex trafficking happens. The amount of anger and organization from our hobby is great but perhaps we should actually demand humane working conditions for those that assemble our gaming boxes and for those that mine the components that are in almost all of our electronic devices.

Palmer Luckey is probably a real piece of work but I can come up with many more reasons why I wouldn't want to support a Facebook platform than some seemingly racist activities. FB will ultimately determine his fate, but I wonder how many people upset about this subject belong to any political action organization or do any leg work to help their beliefs.

Top Bottom