• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survey: Developers on whether they will buy PS3 or Wii

h0l211

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061117/qotw_01.shtml

It's at least 80% getting a Wii, and plenty of negative PS3 comment. Lots of anonymous responses, obviously, but some devs on the record:

Already got my Wii, through the company we got it on the launch date. And I'm not planning on buying a PS3. I worked on two Wii titles (and helped a lot of other projects), PS3 is too expensive and I love the Wiimote!
Joel Tremblay, Ubisoft

Definitely a Wii (already pwii-ordered). The price point of the PS3 and the lack of enticing launch titles makes me as interested in a PS3 as I am interested in getting a root canal.
Ryan Conlon, Gearbox Software

Wii - I'm actually going to wait until it is available in stores before purchasing.
Jarett Metcalfe, Backbone Entertainment - Vancouver

etc!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
h0l211 said:
Already got my Wii, through the company we got it on the launch date. And I'm not planning on buying a PS3. I worked on two Wii titles (and helped a lot of other projects), PS3 is too expensive and I love the Wiimote!
Joel Tremblay, Ubisoft
[rant]
YOU'D THINK IF YOU LOVED IT SO MUCH YOU WOULD HAVE PUT 480P IN YOUR FREAKING WII LAUNCH TITLE!!!!!!!!!!
[/rant]

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm buying the Nintendo Wii, by standing in a queue. I already own an Xbox 360, so I've taken care of my HD content. I support HD DVD over Blu Ray. I think Nintendo's future looks very promising and I view the PS3 as the next Sony flop, like Beta, MiniDisc and UMD.

Chad Yurchak, Goodkey Show Service

willshake.gif

castle007

Banned
h0l211 said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061117/qotw_01.shtml

It's at least 80% getting a Wii, and plenty of negative PS3 comment. Lots of anonymous responses, obviously, but some devs on the record:

Joel Tremblay, Ubisoft

Definitely a Wii (already pwii-ordered). The price point of the PS3 and the lack of enticing launch titles makes me as interested in a PS3 as I am interested in getting a root canal.Ryan Conlon, Gearbox Software

Wii - I'm actually going to wait until it is available in stores before purchasing.

etc!

:lol

BlueTsunami said:
I'm buying the Nintendo Wii, by standing in a queue. I already own an Xbox 360, so I've taken care of my HD content. I support HD DVD over Blu Ray. I think Nintendo's future looks very promising and I view the PS3 as the next Sony flop, like Beta, MiniDisc and UMD.

Chad Yurchak, Goodkey Show Service

willshake.gif
:lol :lol :lol

Somehow, I can't be surprised that a Ubisoft rep would be showing support for the Wii.

(This is so going to be fanboy ammo on GameFAQS.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
borghe said:
[rant]
YOU'D THINK IF YOU LOVED IT SO MUCH YOU WOULD HAVE PUT 480P IN YOUR FREAKING WII LAUNCH TITLE!!!!!!!!!!
[/rant]
Well, Rayman is only 30 fps to begin with, so unless your TV has a poor scaler, it should look no different. In general, I find there to be virtually no difference between 480i and 480p on a good set. Now, if the game is 60 fps, things are a tad different...but not to the degree that you'd expect (they still look VERY cloes).

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Developers buy wii but develop for ps3.

I think each of them are expecting the next guy to be making games for it.

"Already got my Wii, through the company we got it on the launch date. And I'm not planning on buying a PS3. I worked on two Wii titles (and helped a lot of other projects), PS3 is too expensive and I love the Wiimote!
Joel Tremblay, Ubisoft"

Oh this is truly a stunning turn of events.

SolidSnakex said:
"Already got my Wii, through the company we got it on the launch date. And I'm not planning on buying a PS3. I worked on two Wii titles (and helped a lot of other projects), PS3 is too expensive and I love the Wiimote!
Joel Tremblay, Ubisoft"

Oh this is truly a stunning turn of events.

Hey, I did that first!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hmm... so developers prefer Wii, most publications and retailers prefer Wii... and the majority of people buying launch PS3's are overeager scalpers!

Sony am lose?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dark10x said:
so unless your TV has a poor scaler, it should look no different.
my scaler isn't awesome to begin with (2002 Mits), and 480i coming in over component automatically shifts the entire screen left by about 5% (known flaw with the component inputs on that model). Yes I am saying my TV pretty much sucks with 480i inputs in every way, but considering the only non-hd stuff I have hooked up to my TV are the PS2 and GCN (and soon Wii)... it usually isn't a problem.

Defuser

If Ps3 is a success i can't wait for the day when i see Ubisoft asskissing Sony and begging them to let thier game be on Ps3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
borghe said:
my scaler isn't awesome to begin with (2002 Mits), and 480i coming in over component automatically shifts the entire screen left by about 5% (known flaw with the component inputs on that model). Yes I am saying my TV pretty much sucks with 480i inputs in every way, but considering the only non-hd stuff I have hooked up to my TV are the PS2 and GCN (and soon Wii)... it usually isn't a problem.
Ouch, then I feel ya. I used to have an old Panasonic CRT set. 480p looked nice enough, but 480i was a complete mess. The colors were washed out, there was a large pink line cutting through the screen (only visible when looking at darker colors), and the edges went to hell. It was terrible.

Hopefully most launch titles will at least offer 480p.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Developers buy wii but develop for ps3.

I think each of them are expecting the next guy to be making games for it.

That's mostly the decision from higher-ups within the game development company, but that doesn't change the opinion on the guys that are actually designing and programming the game.

djkimothy

Holy shit those comments are harsh and border on the fanboyish.

There seems to be a lot of bitterness amongst these developers towards Sony. Most being anonymous.

developers cant afford ps3s, lolz

I was thinking the same thing. :lol :lol :lol

ruff_lindy_194x270.jpg

"This is a joke!"

I think it's really strange (and unprofessional (and unwise)) from Ubi to express their discontent with the PS3 so blatantly.
They should keep in mind that the PS3 could still come on top this generation, even with this clusterf*ck launch. And then there will have to be a lot of ass kissing.

I think devs hate the PS3 because it will ruin their lives. How many man months will an average PS3 game require?

LOL...Quote from EA dude

I am buying a Wii because Sony is too arrogant, from their dev tools to the price point.

Ed O'Tey, Electronic Arts

looks like ED's gonna hear from HR really soon....you don't muddy the waters between Sony and EA

OOOOOOTAYYY!!!

buckwheat1.jpg

Zweisy1

Just a Wii for me! Pre ordered it. My decision was based on Nintendo's consistent awesomeness as opposed to Sony's ass-ness.

Some of those comments are REALLY fanboyish...

There are pro Wii anti-Sony comments from people from respectable developers like Gearbox and Ubi though.

Mojovonio

Banned
i like how most of the PS3 negative comments are anonymous.

A) They're fake
B) They're making a PS3 game or will be.

I'd personally be on the "not worth $600 right now" camp. When it goes down to a reasonable $499 CAD, i may pick one up. I'll probably get the Wii first.

Mojovonio said:

A) They're fake

I'd personally be on the "not worth $600 right now" camp. When it goes down to a reasonable $499 CAD, i may pick one up. I'll probably get the Wii first.

I think it's anonymous because people don't want to get fired for their opinions...especially if they're working for a 3rd party publisher with close ties to Sony.

Defuser

monchi-kun said:
I think it's anonymous because people don't want to get fired for their opinions...especially if they're working for a 3rd party publisher with close ties to Sony.
8 pages with majority are annoymous? pfftt yeah right

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Some surprising comments in there.

I am buying a Wii because Sony is too arrogant, from their dev tools to the price point.

Ed O'Tey, Electronic Arts

Wii - pre-ordered. I applaud the attempt to expand and explore game interaction with the Wii. I will not be purchasing a ps3.

Jim Perkins, EA Canada

ouch.

I have absolutely no intention of purchasing a PS3. It redundancy and expense make it difficult for me to imagine ever owning one. I learned some time ago that more gadgets isn't necessarily better. The Wii, on the other hand, offers me something I can appreciate - new gameplay, fun gameplay, and a great way to interact with friends. I will purchase one at launch, and likely be happy with it as the only console I purchase this generation.

Alex Swanson, GarageGames, Inc

Will be interesting to see what kind of new software gets announce for Wii in the next 6 months. Are we going to see the consequences of a shift to Wii development?

D.Lo

dark10x said:
Ouch, then I feel ya. I used to have an old Panasonic CRT set. 480p looked nice enough, but 480i was a complete mess. The colors were washed out, there was a large pink line cutting through the screen (only visible when looking at darker colors), and the edges went to hell. It was terrible.

Hopefully most launch titles will at least offer 480p.
i love when people assume that their ultra-specific problem means that a certain display type is bad for everyone.

I don't get what the problem with interlaced is. The only game I've ever noticed was dramatically improved by pro scan was F-zero GX. All these sub 30fps 360 and PS3 games will look near identical in i or p form.

Mojovonio

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Are we going to see the consequences of a shift to Wii development?

I really hope so. The Wii has the chance to be something really good, but it needs the 3rd party support.

Well just to give ancetdoal evidence through my own experience most front line developers (People who actually make the game, not execs) are far more interested in the Wii than the PS3 so that little survey is nothing shocking to me.

The PS3 just represents more of the same and it's expensive while the Wii is a more interesting excercise for developers because it's a challenge with a new control system. Plus Sony's arrogance and heavy hand when you deal with them on the dev side has earned them a lot of ill-will.

Like I said, while most front line workers prefer the Wii, the exces who control the pocketbooks and dictate what actually happens are far more into the PS3 because of past history and sony success. Even that is slowly changing but it's still pretty strong for the PS3 with that demographic.

Just a snapshot from what I've heard in talking to other people in my industry. Of course the situations vary from company to company based on their past history with respective console manufactuers or those who have a vested interest in one console winning or losing.

andthebeatgoeson

Mojovonio said:

A) They're fake

You missed this fanboy rant. Complete with name and no-name developer.
One of the ironic things about becoming a game developer has been the substantial shift in my game playing habits. Largely I think that this is due to time constraints, but also it has to do with a refinement of taste - the more I work on game titles and the more I research game design, the less I am able to tolerate tedious or time-wasting gameplay. I find games that advertise their long gameplay to actually be undercutting the likelihood that I'll buy them. I've played too many cookie-cutter games where boring encounters and combats with uncompelling gameplay models are shoved in your face for hour after hour, completely burying whatever interesting gameplay or story the game might have had in a torrent of boring repetition. This is supposed to be a selling point?

Even online gaming, much as a fan that I am, is often not worth the time investment necessary to truly enjoy it. I had my day as a hard core Counter-Strike player. I've played several MMOs. I invested the time necessary to really enjoy these games, building the online social networks and rivalries. It was very rewarding, I'll admit - but the time investment was immense. When I realized that I could get much the same sense of social gaming - and more - sitting on my couch with three friends playing Super Smash Brothers or Goldeneye, I started to drift away from the hard core.

Nintendo seems to get this problem. They make games that focus almost entirely on the enjoyment of playing them, and that do not attempt to become more than a game. I can play a thousand hours of Mario Kart because it comes in small, very fun doses - and I share those doses with my friends. From the Wii I expect even more such bite-sized morsels of pure gameplay deliciousness. From the PS3 I expect more 100 hour extravaganzas that would have made better feature films or anime miniseries. Quite frankly, I have a few dozen of those that I still haven't finished for the PS2 - and I don't need to shell out $600 to enjoy those titles, should I feel like plowing through a bit of gameplay tedium.

If I find that I absolutely must play an awesome online game...well, I have the PC already covering those bases. Do I need another portal into that space? Would I even have time to give it a second glance? Not likely. So, I have absolutely no intention of purchasing a PS3. It redundancy and expense make it difficult for me to imagine ever owning one. I learned some time ago that more gadgets isn't necessarily better. The Wii, on the other hand, offers me something I can appreciate - new gameplay, fun gameplay, and a great way to interact with friends. I will purchase one at launch, and likely be happy with it as the only console I purchase this generation.

Alex Swanson, GarageGames, Inc.

Jesus, I can taste the hate and it's is free and delicious.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Most companies tend to develop for the system that makes sense financially. There's going to have to be a lot of smoke clearing before anyone knows what happens here. I remember a lot of GameCube optimism for a while. I don't think this means very much.

Vangellis

Forget fanboyisms and that stupid crap for a sec, and look at it from this perspective. If I was a developer I would be majorly pissed off by promises of +2 million systems for launch by years end. Then in the 11th hour I say "Oops, yea that number was a little off its gonna be a little less than that... hmm like maybe 50% less... errr maybe more than that. Who knows suprises are fun, right?" Im sure game developers are real happy their game will sell "X" less copies at launch due to 50% less systems getting out there than promised. I guess thats the gamble you take when you make a game for a system launch.

birdchili

the non-anonymous ps3 dissers are pretty brave.

i don't find it hard to believe that there are more devs interested in Wii (for the controller possibilities, presumably), than there are in the ps3 (for the joys of working with an extremely elaborate/advanced parallel architecture). sony is also notorious for providing incomplete and arcane libraries to devs, which would be pretty frustrating at this point in the hardware cycle.

plus there's that unwritten rule that no one is allowed to provide sony with positive media coverage, and all nintendo coverage must be brilliantly glowing - it's all part of the new way.

Luckyman

Banned
Nintendo, on the other hand, is making a massive statement with releasing two of their "older crowd" franchises at launch, Zelda and Metroid.

Randy Wilson, Broken Attitude Studios

Broken indeed. :)

ziran

h0l211 said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20.../qotw_01.shtml

Joel Tremblay, Ubisoft

Definitely a Wii (already pwii-ordered). The price point of the PS3 and the lack of enticing launch titles makes me as interested in a PS3 as I am interested in getting a root canal.
Ryan Conlon, Gearbox Software

etc!

the comments are colourful but i don't think the sentiment is surprising. most developers acknowledge the skills of nintendo's internal teams, especially ead, and for them to have two flasgship games at launch, both bringing something new, is going to be enticing.

twilight princess speaks for itself, but wii sports is just as intruiging because the game does exactly what nintendo said it would do. it opens up videogames to people who thought they'd never enjoy them, and ead is probably the only developer who could've pulled this off so well.

i wouldn't think this suggests major support coming for the system, in itself, rather a respect for nintendo as a developer of amazing games.

MaddenNFL64

No one wants the top dog to stay at the top very long. Nintendo was hated by devs for a long time, and if Nintendo was ever at the top again, they'd get alot of shit too. This arrogance perceived by devs just comes with the territory of being the #1 selling console in the world. Hell, the arrogance is probably real to some extent, as you don't have to cater to devs all that much since, you know, they like to make money, and Playstation brand = money. They will just some to you.

Top Bottom