• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survey: Developers on whether they will buy PS3 or Wii

andthebeatgoeson

Anybody remember that game that would boot up in the Sega Master System if you didn't put a card in? What was it?

It seems off topic but every dev lists Wii Sports as a positive, even tho the graphics leave a lot to be desired and the controls, from a hardcore perspective, are lacking (you can't control the characters? WTF). Pack in games can mold your impressions. It's not the greatest game but if you can get the family laughing and enjoying themselves, it could really set it apart. I can just see some of my cousins and aunts wanting to try it out.

MaddenNFL64 said:
This arrogance perceived by devs just comes with the territory of being the #1 selling console in the world.

There is certainly some truth in that, however there is no question Sony is less developer friendly than say Microsoft. Nintendo can be pretty draconian also.

These guys weren't even innovative with the controllers available to them in the first place, Sony had eyetoy and Nintendo had different peripherals and noone took advantage, most didn't even use the dual shock to its full capabilities. Now they're all over something that will have games of the same standard we've seen this generation with motion control.

I agree with the Katamari Damacy, be innovative within the game don't think a new control scheme will solve your stale ideas.

Vangellis

skinnyrattler said:
Anybody remember that game that would boot up in the Sega Master System if you didn't put a card in? What was it?

Was the snail maze, got hard after a few levels too lol

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I will buy both consoles. I pre-ordered them. I think both consoles have something new to offer gamers and I'd like to experience for myself how one differs from the other.

Daniel Enfiel, Sony Computer Entertainment America

oh how the mighty have fallen.

White Man

skinnyrattler said:
You missed this fanboy rant. Complete with name and no-name developer.

Jesus, I can taste the hate and it's is free and delicious.

I wouldn't really call GarageGames a no name developer. Folks working on 360 XNA games are more than likely familiar with them.

birdchili

travisbickle said:
be innovative within the game don't think a new control scheme will solve your stale ideas.

sure. but a new control scheme can spur creativity.

i think it's also simpler to create new gameplay with a radically new controller than it is to leverage things like physics and ai for interesting new experiences.

Busty

Banned
Let's just say we take on board this totally unbiased, morally upstanding article and run with it.

Say Sony do take a dive this gen and fall from grace. Who do we want to take their place atop console's Mount Olympus?

Nintendo...? Though I bought a Gamecube, after having to pay nearly $100 for Perfect Dark for the N64, when it eventually came out means I would dread them ever reclaiming top spot worldwide....

...as for Microsoft? Well, the fact the streets will be running rivers of boiling human blood will probably hamper my efforts to pick up Mass Effect 3 or Halo 5, but still better than Nintendo.

In short, perhaps it's better the devil you know. Since we had all these development rumblings when the PS2 was launched I doubt it'll make that much difference in the long run.

Save us Samsung, save us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Busty said:
...as for Microsoft? Well, the fact the streets will be running rivers of boiling human blood will probably hamper my efforts to pick up Mass Effect 3 or Halo 5, but still better than Nintendo.

:lol

Vangellis

Really doesnt matter who is at the top. Who is ever at the top eventually lets arrogance and greed consume them. Actually they are all greedy, but the arrogance cetainly comes from being the market leader.

vitaflo

Anecdotal evidence, but the devs I've talked to aren't really all that excited about either system, and would much rather just play GoW. There does seem to be some general resentment towards Sony though, and most are just curious about the Wii controls more than any actual game on that system.

Busty

Banned
Stopsign said:
What happens if Nintendo wins Japan, Sony wins Europe, and Microsoft wins America?

No one wins. Everyone finds themselves in a weakened position resulting from the stalemate.

Then, from a shadowy mountain top in deepest Korea emerges a gaming device so powerful and awesome it will indeed... be one box to rule them all.....

... it is...

.....some kind of gaming PC/set top box hybrid...... thing...

That is all.

MaddenNFL64 said:
No one wants the top dog to stay at the top very long. Nintendo was hated by devs for a long time, and if Nintendo was ever at the top again, they'd get alot of shit too. This arrogance perceived by devs just comes with the territory of being the #1 selling console in the world. Hell, the arrogance is probably real to some extent, as you don't have to cater to devs all that much since, you know, they like to make money, and Playstation brand = money. They will just some to you.

While I like Nintendo way more than others, you can't take away from the fact that they were some serious buttholes by the end of the SNES. I put the blame more on the console maker than the developer.

P90

BlueTsunami said:
I'm buying the Nintendo Wii, by standing in a queue. I already own an Xbox 360, so I've taken care of my HD content. I support HD DVD over Blu Ray. I think Nintendo's future looks very promising and I view the PS3 as the next Sony flop, like Beta, MiniDisc, UMD and PSP.

Chad Yurchak, Goodkey Show Service

willshake.gif

fixed ;)

DJ Sl4m

This article reeks of complete developer BS to me, there's no way these guys don't have enough money to be able to afford all 3 consoles easily.

Seems like they are venting &/or showing their fanboyism more than anything.

I view the
PS3 as the next Sony flop, like Beta, MiniDisc, UMD and PSP, Compact Disc and DVD.

Hey, let's go all the way.

And before somebody gets smart-alecky about DVD and CD-- yes, they were joint efforts. Just like BluRay.

(Also, MiniDisc was far from a flop outside of the US. It lasted 10+ years until MP3 pleyers finally killed them.)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The predicted 33% for each system by Nintendo is getting clear and clear as everyday passes.

Isn't like 96% of the surveilled interested in/Buying a Wii? WOW!

Second system FTMFW! :D

Linkup

DJ Sl4m said:
This article reeks of complete developer BS to me, there's no way these guys don't have enough money to be able to afford all 3 consoles easily.

Seems like they are venting &/or showing their fanboyism more than anything.

Some people have principles you know and they make decision based on them. Game devs aren't all rich.

Rocked

I like how Sony fanboys in this thread are calling the people who praised Wii fanboys. The article is fine. They're just giving their honest opinions and it doesn't make them biased just cause they couldn't give a shit about PS3.

I'm not sure I understand why everyone keeps nailing Sony as being arrogant towards devs. Of the 3 platforms out there, they've probably grown the most in terms of tools and libraries (though, relatively, they may still be behind). They've brought in all these industry standard toolsets - cg, colada, physics libraries, etc - and they even went so far as to create a multiplatform game engine. Coming off the PS2, which was pretty much a blank slate with a manual in Japanese, that's gotta be, at the least, a decent show of earnest effort, right? I can understand that devs could feel the tools simply aren't where they should be and being frustrated by that, but to say it's because of arrogance instead of just plain meeting a deadline difficulties strikes me as strange. That said, what is it I'm missing? Does Sony go around saying, "figure it out yourself?" Do they not answer requests? Overcharge for help? What? Can someone clue me in?

Top Bottom