• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish Comedian organizing ‘man-free’ music fest until they learn ‘how to behave’

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I like how y'all upset women want a sexual harassment free festival.
It's so weird to see guys here get mad at not being able to attend a music festival rather than be upset that women are being sexually harassed and assaulted.

Missing this festival isn't going to hurt me as a male. I support women only music festivals. Heck even in Japan there are women only train cars due to the amount of sexual assault women go through.

First of all woman's shelters aren't the same thing as a gender segregated concert, and actually have a very good reasons for existing. Not only that, most actually offer services to men or redirect them to men's shelters too. These types of threads always end in the same thing, people can't make points and go off on emotional tangents that attack another poster and put words in their mouths. How am I holding my feelings higher than the woman being raped? Because I think there are better ways to make woman feel safe without banning people from attending a music festival based of their gender? Something needs to be done. And I'm not making any sort of dumb comparisons to serious forms of discrimination, so I'm not sure what you're on about there.

But the idea of gender segregation isn't a new one.
So going of your comparison of shelters, you would be ok with this festival if someone held a man only festival?

Well since you are here propagating against women using segregation as a tool to feel safe you are putting your feelings of exclusion higher then their goal of not being afraid.

You can rant all you want regarding emotional tangants and attacks but the fact is that we as men have no say in what tool women choose to defend their bodies so they can feel safe.

This festival has no impact on the current world exept for men having their feelings hurt.
Men are in no way a targeted group like women are.

nel e nel

People are not businesses.

Businesses, by and large, should need to make a strong case for why they would be gender segregated and why it is not economically feasible to employ other methods.

https://www.bra.se/bra-in-english/home/crime-and-statistics/rape-and-sex-offences.html

Gender and age
Significantly more women than men have been exposed to sex crimes; 3.0 per cent of women and 0.4 per cent of men state that they were exposed to sex crimes during 2015. For men, the percentage of victims has remained at approximately the same level throughout the period. For women, sex offences were at a relatively stable level during the period 2005 – 2012 but the result for the past three years shows a higher level.

ThisGuy

Sure, let's also turn back refugee men who entered the country, due to Cologne and similar spikes in crime.

Oh wait, that would go against my rose tinted glasses that i have of the world. I do hope you know how looney some of you guys sound in regards to nearly any society on earth. For good reason as well.

Private event =/= a countries stance on refugees.

If someone wants to hold a private party and not invite cologne wearing criminals from another country (their view of refugees per your description ), they have that right.

You sound like a simpleton lmao. Don't quit your day job.

Beefy

Like Cologne? I have seen enough of disingenuous bullshit from some of you to know that this is hardly about women but about white men. Tell us how you really feel and stop hiding behind victims.

What is this weird shit? 😂

Like Cologne? I have seen enough of disingenuous bullshit from some of you to know that this is hardly about women but about white men. Tell us how you really feel and stop hiding behind victims.

Dude, you made a false equivalency. Drop it.
Men and refugee men are in no way comparable.

Geist-

Good for them, but it sucks that the actions of 00.07% of the concert attendees have ruined it for everyone else. Are the crowds too big? Can they not hire enough security? Maybe they should think about selling less tickets if they can't ensure the attendees safety.

27 incidents of sexual assault out of 40,000 people is in the "these people are just evil fuckers" margin and aren't going to be shamed or taught to be better people. The only solution is to make it far more likely they're going to be caught so that these assholes never want to take the chance.

Shiggy

ITT: Discrimination based on gender is ok as long as it's against men.

I wonder how many would be fine with this if they wanted to make an event free of men with a migration background, given the sexual assaults at Putte i Parken or We Are Sthlm. It would be a private event, so they should be free in whom to invite, right? Just because it's a private event, it doesn't mean you cannot disagree with discrimination.

This is just another case of some users on here just seeing black and white. Either way, it won't stop the deeper underlying issue of sexual assaults.

Yes women are creating a women's festival in response to rape and assault at another, and we're supporting it, because we want to oppress white men.

Pepboy

Then please enlighten us to how this ban would lead or cause similar problem to those historical ones you are talking about.

Sure. Once you have segregated businesses on the basis of rape, it becomes more acceptable to view men as a whole as predators. This can lead to researched issues like men getting longer jail times for the same crimes. Not that dissimilar to whats still going on today (African Americans being treated as guilty unless proven innocent). We don't have great data on false convictions (we find out too rarely that we were wrong) but jail times and conviction rates might be one way to measure how society perceives people of varying identities.

Easily disregarding the rights of all individuals may also cause society to view men as more disposable. Which we see frequently in the media but also in the gender homicide gap (men are 4x more likely to be killed than women, by both men and women). Or as can be seen by on the job work accidents. Or by the failures of the education system for young men, with men being 20% less likely to pursue a college degree.

Heck we don't even need to spin "what if" stories about this. You only need to look at the 2016 election. While some women did vote for Trump, he had a much stronger base among men. It may be that these men felt disenfranchised by the liberal establishment because of issues like the ones outlined above. As we saw, this created a huge rift in American society. I don't think blanket bans based on gender is a laudable solution to that scar.

Just to be clear, I would be fine if past sexual predators, or even any convicted felon, were excluded from concerts. Those individuals have reduced rights as a result of their actions, not because of their birth.

In principle I don't have a big issue with this and it seems like a good way to send a message.

But if it was my city and a band I wanted to see... I'd be pissed.

Nepenthe

It's so weird to see guys here get mad at not being able to attend a music festival rather than be upset that women are being sexually harassed and assaulted.

Is this particularly weird? Men on average only seem to care about spaces that are actually welcoming to and safe for women when it's them being told they aren't invited to the party because they keep shitting in the punch bowl, at which point they invoke either historical examples of government-sanctioned oppression like MLK or claim the party needs to save the world before it can even open. Sexual assault is ultimately secondary to their feeling of a negative peace.

Missing this festival isn't going to hurt me as a male. I support women only music festivals. Heck even in Japan there are women only train cars due to the amount of sexual assault women go through.

It's possible to be appalled by the assaults and still think this is throwing the baby out with the bath water. A blanket ban on men attending because of the actions of a few is unnecessary and would not be tolerated if it was applied to other categorisations of large groups of people. We were rightly against painting refugees with a broad brush after the incident in Cologne, and this isn't really any different. Most guys are not going to festivals to assault people. Thousands of blokes went to Glastonbury the other week and most behaved themselves and caused no problems.

I'm not a fan of this approach regardless of who is being excluded if it's a response to the actions of a minority of idiots.

What is this weird shit? 😂

Nope he's got it, I don't care about women being assaulted or feeling comfortable, I just hate white men that much. Yup, that's what's happening here.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;242991906 said:
The intimation that non-men can't commit sexual assault is an interesting one.

Well old study and American but this cites 99% of sex offenders as being male. If anyone could find more up to date figured that'd be great!

But they're not saying non-men can't commit sexual assault, not at all. But statistically, it's undeniable a woman (and probably a man too) is more safe among a crowd of women than a crowd of men.

Pepboy

We're being trolled. There can't be anyone like this can there?

I have only been to small concerts, like under 200 people, or a handful of crowds. I dislike large crowds, especially with the rampant drug use.

Once went to Colbert and Stewarts march for reason (forget the name) to show support. Had a terrible time for a good cause. I can only imagine how much worse it must be if there are also grabby / rapey people around.

Alienfan

But the idea of gender segregation isn't a new one.
So going of your comparison of shelters, you would be ok with this festival if someone held a man only festival?

Well since you are here propagating against women using segregation as a tool to feel safe you are putting your feelings of exclusion higher then their goal of not being afraid.

You can rant all you want regarding emotional tangants and attacks but the fact is that we as men have no say in what tool women choose to defend their bodies so they can feel safe.

This festival has no impact on the current world exept for men having their feelings hurt.
Men are in no way a targeted group like women are.

That's not what I'm saying about the shelters at all, I'm saying they serve a real beneficial purpose and aren't comparable. No holding a man only festival would be absolutely disgusting and would serve no other purpose than to say "hey if you can do it so can we!". On the other hand the woman's only festival has really good intentions, I just don't see the need for such a drastic form of segregation when there are other ways to achieve the same goals without stopping the 99.9% of men from that other festival who aren't rapists from attending.

Geist-

Well old study and American but this cites 99% of sex offenders as being male. If anyone could find more up to date figured that'd be great!

But they're not saying non-men can't commit sexual assault, not at all. But statistically, it's undeniable a woman (and probably a man too) is more safe among a crowd of women than a crowd of men.

Not trying to defend him or anything, but there is evidence that men who are raped by women are often either too ashamed to report the incident, or disregarded by police because they don't believe a man could be overpowered by a woman. Woman-on-woman rape is similarly under-reported.

Here's a good article on it.

Nabbis

Yes women are creating a women's festival in response to rape and assault at another, and we're supporting it, because we want to oppress white men.

Hey, i have no real problem with women having their own festival, it's a minor issue. But then again, im also not adamantly flying all over the forum with the justice brigade only to conveniently ignore certain other topics with overreaching issues that might make me uncomfortable if i went the same rabbit hole with them.

Sure. Once you have segregated businesses on the basis of rape, it becomes more acceptable to view men as a whole as predators. This can lead to researched issues like men getting longer jail times for the same crimes. Not that dissimilar to whats still going on today (African Americans being treated as guilty unless proven innocent). We don't have great data on false convictions (we find out too rarely that we were wrong) but jail times and conviction rates might be one way to measure how society perceives people of varying identities.

Easily disregarding the rights of all individuals may also cause society to view men as more disposable. Which we see frequently in the media but also in the gender homicide gap (men are 4x more likely to be killed than women, by both men and women). Or as can be seen by on the job work accidents. Or by the failures of the education system for young men, with men being 20% less likely to pursue a college degree.

Heck we don't even need to spin "what if" stories about this. You only need to look at the 2016 election. While some women did vote for Trump, he had a much stronger base among men. It may be that these men felt disenfranchised by the liberal establishment because of issues like the ones outlined above. As we saw, this created a huge rift in American society. I don't think blanket bans based on gender is a laudable solution to that scar.

Just to be clear, I would be fine if past sexual predators, or even any convicted felon, were excluded from concerts. Those individuals have reduced rights as a result of their actions, not because of their birth.

40 years we've had at least one Women's music festival in this world and none of the shit you are talking about has happened.

This music festival is not going to cause a spike in false rape convictions or the disposal of men.

Men kill men more than women and men killed more women than women kill men.

Also men (well white men) have always voted Republican, and have done so for basically 50 years so no this didn't cause Trump.

Heck we don't even need to spin "what if" stories about this. You only need to look at the 2016 election. While some women did vote for Drumpf, he had a much stronger base among men. It may be that these men felt disenfranchised by the liberal establishment because of issues like the ones outlined above. As we saw, this created a huge rift in American society. I don't think blanket bans based on gender is a laudable solution to that scar.

So regarding that this will lead us to view men the same way African American males are profiled.
Just assumptions and conjecture.
Nothing based in science shows that this would be a problem.

Regarding the death gap I would contribute that men having more narrow gender roles that encompass machismo and stuff the main reasons. And machismo is prung from patriarchy.

Wait are you citing Drumph as to why men shouldn't be discriminated against? The guy who has the most white identity politics? Why is openly sexist and racist? Would that fact that so many men voted for a bigot not warn you "perhaps men aren't all that"?

Jasup

Yes, you have a right to organize events based on gender.

Ok, we've established that we're on the same page here. They have a right to do this.

But the overt justification for creating this particular event is gender discrimination.

Sure, I can go with that. However the case we're talking about here doesn't take any rights away from men, because they are not given the right to attend in the first place. It's also providing a festival where non-men can attend without fear of being sexually harrased by men.

You see discrimination can be used for or against a certain group.

If it was the same festival and men were taken the right to attend away from them, the case would be slightly different. Instead of giving something for one group, it would be taking something away from another group.

I have only been to small concerts, like under 200 people, or a handful of crowds. I dislike large crowds, especially with the rampant drug use.

Once went to Colbert and Stewarts march for reason (forget the name) to show support. Had a terrible time for a good cause. I can only imagine how much worse it must be if there are also grabby / rapey people around.

But still, even if it's not your kinda thing, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine why others like concerts is it?

Not trying to defend him or anything, but there is evidence that a man who is raped by a woman is either too ashamed to report the incident, or disregarded by police because they don't believe a man could be overpowered by a woman. Woman-on-woman rape is similarly under-reported.

Here's a good article on it.

Not surprised to see data like this. Men do have their own stigmas making it difficult for them to report. Still, if I quote a bit of the article:

Atlantic said:
After pooling and analyzing the data gathered in the years 2010 through 2013, the authors found female perpetrators acting without male co-perpetrators were reported in 28 percent of rape or sexual assault incidents involving male victims and 4.1 percent of incidents with female victims. Female perpetrator were reported in 34.7 percent of incidents with male victims and 4.2 percent of incidents with female victims.

So males still do commit, or take part in, the majority of the sexual assaults against both men and women, though I wasn't expecting female perpetrators to exceed 25%. Though this topic is in no way trying to diminish that men can experience sexual violence too.

That's not what I'm saying about the shelters at all, I'm saying they serve a real beneficial purpose and aren't comparable. No holding a man only festival would be absolutely disgusting and would serve no other purpose than to say "hey if you can do it so can we!". On the other hand the woman's only festival has really good intentions, I just don't see the need for such a drastic form of segregation when there are other ways to achieve the same goals without stopping the 99.9% of men from that other festival who aren't rapists from attending.

The idea of using gender segregation IS comparable and does serve a purpose, even at this potential festival.
You handwaving it doesn't make it not so.

Well I'm not surprised that you a dude wouldn't see the need for women to feel safe since you got yours.

I just don't see this as a problem. Cause it there isn't one.

DR2K

Banned
Man some people REALLY hate the idea of being discriminated against. Something something fragility.

Pepboy

Yes, rapers are more likely to be men and victims are more likely to be women.

But that is still a broad group of individuals are being targeted for the actions of a small subset.

If I said "Blacks are more likely to commit crimes per capita, so we need to exclude them from a concert so whites feel safer", that is clearly a violation of their rights or even of basic decency. But it is not that different an argument than the one being presented here.

Put another way, it is not on men as a whole to "learn how to behave". Most have and will their entire lives. The actions of a few rapists should not condemn the entire group.

The onus is on businesses to find feasible ways to keep people safe without segregation or discrimination. If they cannot, then they should not exist.

I wonder how many would be fine with this if they wanted to make an event free of men with a migration background, given the sexual assaults at Putte i Parken or We Are Sthlm. It would be a private event, so they should be free in whom to invite, right? Just because it's a private event, it doesn't mean you cannot disagree with discrimination.

This is just another case of some users on here just seeing black and white. Either way, it won't stop the deeper underlying issue of sexual assaults.

Just stop. The world is literally against women, all day every day and i havent seen you walking into threads saying, we really need to help women.

You are here to act butt hurt because someone said men kinda fucking suck and we dont want to deal with it for 3 days while we listen to music. Rapes and sexual assaults are reported at less then 30%. The real number of assaults at the festival is in the 60s and 70s. Of all the men who were reported on maybe 2 or 3 of them will get any punishment.

We stop rape culture by talking about it and giving real consequences. a Festival for women is really consequence to society at large being blase about womens right to sexual freedom.

Care more about others then your own privileged.

Yes, rapers are more likely to be men and victims are more likely to be women.

But that is still a broad group of individuals are being targeted for the actions of a small subset.

If I said "Blacks are more likely to commit crimes per capita, so we need to exclude them from a concert so whites feel safer", that is clearly a violation of their rights or even of basic decency. But it is not that different an argument than the one being presented here.

Put another way, it is not on men as a whole to "learn how to behave". Most have and will their entire lives. The actions of a few rapists should not condemn the entire group.

The onus is on businesses to find feasible ways to keep people safe without segregation or discrimination. If they cannot, then they should not exist.

The difference between African American crime rates as a whole and men at this specific festival continually sexually assualting women to the point it has been canceled are so vastly different that it's literally a laughable comparison.

Pepboy

40 years we've had at least one Women's music festival in this world and none of the shit you are talking about has happened.

This music festival is not going to cause a spike in false rape convictions or the disposal of men.

Men kill men more than women and men killed more women than women kill men.

Also men (well white men) have always voted Republican, and have done so for basically 50 years so no this didn't cause Trump.

Shit has already started happening, including disenfranchised young men voting for Trump, who clearly had no experience and is creating a huge social divide. See my last post for more examples.

Segregating men as if they are all rapists or potential rapists will indeed cause men to further be viewed as disposable. When I spoke about false convictions I did not mean false rape convictions which are miniscule I'm sure. But false convictions more broadly. In any case, jail times are more objective since its hard to prove a false conviction.

Sorry but women are more than 4 times more likely to select a man as a target for homicide than another woman. Just check the FBI stats. Again, indicating that men are disposable.

Oersted

If it is any consolidation for you, you are part of the issue

Pepboy

The difference between African American crime rates as a whole and men at this specific festival continually sexually assualting women to the point it has been canceled are so vastly different that it's literally a laughable comparison.

Rather than laughing, please try to put your thoughts into words, and I promise to read them. Though I have to head to bed soon so it may be in the morning.

Nozem

On one hand I'm all for women having a women-only festival. I can imagine that would be a blast. Have fun, ladies.

On the other hand I would be pretty fucking offended if I got treated as a (potential) rapist.

idk

Shiggy

Just stop. The world is literally against women, all day every day and i havent seen you walking into threads saying, we really need to help women.

You are here to act butt hurt because someone said men kinda fucking suck and we dont want to deal with it for 3 days while we listen to music. Rapes and sexual assaults are reported at less then 30%. The real number of assaults at the festival is in the 60s and 70s. Of all the men who were reported on maybe 2 or 3 of them will get any punishment.

We stop rape culture by talking about it and giving real consequences. a Festival for women is really consequence to society at large being blase about womens right to sexual freedom.

Care more about others then your own privileged.

If it is any consolidation for you, you are part of the issue

Great arguments against my post, both of you.

Shit has already started happening, including disenfranchised young men voting for Trump, who clearly had no experience and is creating a huge social divide. See my last post for more examples.

Segregating men as if they are all rapists or potential rapists will indeed cause men to further be viewed as disposable. When I spoke about false convictions I did not mean false rape convictions which are miniscule I'm sure. But false convictions more broadly. In any case, jail times are more objective since its hard to prove a false conviction.

Sorry but women are more than 4 times more likely to select a man as a target for homicide than another woman. Just check the FBI stats. Again, indicating that men are disposable.

And men killed women at a number basically 4 times higher than women kill men.

I never said anything about women killing women.

Men are more likely to be killed by men than women (9.5 times more likely) and women are 10 times more likely to be killed by men than women.

Then end result is the biggest threat to men is men and the biggest threat to women is men.

On one hand I'm all for women having a women-only festival. I can imagine that would be a blast. Have fun, ladies.

On the other hand I would be pretty fucking offended if I got treated as a (potential) rapist.

idk

Yeah, totally comparable.
Harassment/Rape are just like being offended.

Order

Hey, i have no real problem with women having their own festival, it's a minor issue. But then again, im also not adamantly flying all over the forum with the justice brigade only to conveniently ignore certain other topics with overreaching issues that might make me uncomfortable if i went the same rabbit hole with them.
lol is this the new SJW?

Nepenthe

The "but if you replace men with black people" example isn't equivalent because it not only ignores the factors of high black crime, which is generally a high concentration of crime in a few areas riddled with severe economic disenfranchisement, as well as biased overpolicing, but it ignores the subsequent reality that black people are more likely to be victims of crime perpetrated by their own ethnicity than anyone else is- and this rule holds for all ethnic groups- meaning concerts would actually only exist in middle-class/rich areas of high racial integration if you wanted to make them safer on the basis of racial statistics regarding crime, at which point the cultural staple we call a "concert" might as well not even exist.

Men regardless of race or economic status commit the majority of sexual assaults against women because of a mix of a lack of recognition of women's bodily autonomy and ignorance of what consent even means. It's genuinely an ethical issue with how men view women as a whole, meaning the solution to ban men from private functions and institutions that cater explicitly to women does actually decrease the chances of sexual assault, and thus it has utility in areas where bans of black people from white functions do not.

It's not like this is some sort of encouragement of "men should die"-feminism. It's a social commentary to make people react and talk so that we can get to the bottom of why men are almost single-handedly the reason sexual assaults happen at festivals.

A big photographic museum in Sweden had a similar thing one day when men's tickets were increased to huge numbers as a commentary on the wage differences between men and women.

Also, context matters. It's not like excluding men is punching down, whereas excluding black people and gay people would've been.

Rather than laughing, please try to put your thoughts into words, and I promise to read them. Though I have to head to bed soon so it may be in the morning.

1) Crime rates are a reflection of policing and we all know policing is not fair towards African Americans

2) Even if we accepted AA committ more crimes making them more dangerous (which I don't) barring them from the festival has to have a basis of them actually doing something wrong at the venue. The festival didn't say black people are committing crimes at the festival so they need to go. The comparison falls apart. Otherwise your in AA commit more crimes so white people dont want them breathing levels of justification. In comparison men are being ban from "this" festival because of their actions that got the other festival cancelled. The ban is a response to an actual problem they are actually fostering. It's not make believe bullshit.

3) African Americans faces a huge number of socio economic issues that are known to lead to things like viilent crime or drug offenses. Those things need to be combat along with systems meant to oppress them. Men aren't oppressed and there are no socio economic reasons why they need to sexually assault women at a festival. They just have to stop being assholes. They need to face actual consequences for their actions, actions which are not spurred by poverty, or desparation or systems meant to oppress then but rather selfish entitlement.

Your examples are vastly vastly different.

Tunin

Isolated good idea, safe zone for women to enjoy the shows, but completely ineffective regarding women abuse.

The root cause for abuses is completely left alone and the measure creates little to none impact to prevent it in future mixed events. It's like a bubble, but the reality outside of it is completely unforgiving.

Sometimes I wonder if these ideas are coming from organizers who don't want to deal with complex problems and are going for the easiest solution possible, because this won't solve shit.

Isolated good idea, safe zone for women to enjoy the shows, but completely ineffective regarding women abuse.

The root cause for abuses is completely left alone and the measure creates little to none impact to prevent it in future mixed events. It's like a bubble, but the reality outside of it is completely unforgiving.

Sometimes I wonder if these ideas are coming from organizers who don't want to deal with complex problems and are going for the easiest solution possible, because this won't solve shit.

Well... Yeah they are? Who says it's up to this comedian to solve the entire issue? That's up to policy makers, governments, things on a larger scale. Making an event women can appreciate doesn't mean we're not trying to make any other kind of progress...

Top Bottom