• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch amazon.fr preorder up for 350 EUR ($306 USD) in France

Guerrilla

fuck this is going to be an expensive march. Botw special Edition without the sword + pro controller + switch will probably be something like 520€ in germany for basically one game till mario about a year later for me. :/

Of course I'll pay that since I'm a sucker, but I'm very disappointed with you nintendo....

Aldric

Nintendo will never learn. This is just a slightly better Wii U in every sense and it'll probably sell accordingly.

l think it might be time for them to focus on phone games and forget about this whole hardware thing because they obviously don't know what they're doing.

Koren

0.95? Holy shit, I didn't know that euro money bombed that hard.
It has been around this for two years now... It's not new.

Since then the us dollar has strengthened against the Euro. Back when those consoles released, the US Dollar was worth .75 Euros. Today the US Dollar is worth .95 Euros.

It was stronger than that at the Wii Launch (1.1-1.15?), and IIRC, Wii was $249 / €249

European prices are VAT-inclusive and USD prices are tax-exclusive. 350 Euro pre-tax is 291 euros, which is 306 USD. Alternatively, the Switch is 360 USD in the US at comparable sales tax (which is 341 Euro in Euros)

To be fair, even with VAT included, European prices were always 1 dollars = 1€.
For every systems so far. 3DS was 250$/250€. Wii U was 299~350 dollars/299~350€. Same for Sony and Microsoft.

krae_man

To be fair, even with VAT included, European prices were always 1 dollars = 1€.
For every systems so far. 3DS was 250$/250€. Wii U was 299~350 dollars/299~350€. Same for Sony and Microsoft.

At different exchange rates.

Seriously. Stop whining about exchange rates that are fair. If 350 euros is more then you are willing to spend on a console fine, great! But that's not the same thing as getting screwed on the exchange rate because that is not happening no matter what nonsense logic you use.

Seriously. Stop whining about exchange rates that are fair. If 350 euros is more then you are willing to spend on a console fine, great! But that's not the same thing as getting screwed on the exchange rate because that is not happening no matter what nonsense logic you use.

PS4 Pro was 2 months ago.

Hawkens

It has been around this for two years now... It's not new.

It was stronger than that at the Wii Launch (1.1-1.15?), and IIRC, Wii was $249 / €249

Nope.

This is only a ten year chart, so it only goes back to Jan 2007 and not Dec 2006 when the Wii launched in Europe, but the conversion rate is exactly the same at the Wii and PS3 launch as it was at the WiiU and PS4 launch. ~1 US Dollar = .75 Euro

Slaythe

It's called psychological pricing.

Look it up.

350 euros for just the console is suicide.

Has it been mentioned yet that the title is incorrect?

The euro has a higher value than the dollar. 350 euros actually 372 dollars.

And during the PS4 regular launch the exchange rate was different and you guys overpaid by like $60-$80.

Getting a fair exchange rate is not good enough, you gotta get it $50-$100 cheaper?

PS4 launched at 399 dollars and 399€. We always had a dollar/euro parity, regardless of the value of the two currencies. In 99% of the case.

krae_man

It's called psychological pricing.

Look it up.

350 euros for just the console is suicide.

Got it, you didn't read what I posted. Did you not read the part where I said if the price is too much for you that's fine, but that's not the same thing as getting screwed exchange rate wise?

Has it been mentioned yet that the title is incorrect?

The euro has a higher value than the dollar. 350 euros actually 372 dollars.

Yes, and you're all still wrong about that.

krae_man

PS4 launched at 399 dollars and 399€. We always had a dollar/euro parity, regardless of the value of the two currencies. In 99% of the case.

Wouldn't you rather the exchange rate be on par at all times and not sometimes getting a good deal(like the Pro launch) and sometimes getting screwed(like the PS4 launch)?

Make sense with your complaining, that's all I ask!

Wouldn't you rather the exchange rate be on par at all times and not sometimes getting a good deal(like the Pro launch) and sometimes getting screwed(like the PS4 launch)?

Make sense with your complaining, that's all I ask!

My complaining makes sense: Historically, it always has been 1€ = 1 dollars, regardless of VAT or whatever.
We've always been screwed historically in Europe, but Nintendo takes it further away.

krae_man

My complaining makes sense: Historically, it always has been 1€ = 1 dollars, regardless of VAT or whatever.
We've always been screwed historically in Europe, but Nintendo takes it further away.

Okay you're a lost cause. You just argued that Nintendo selling the Switch for a near exact exchange rate in Europe is Europe getting screwed worse then normal.

Okay you're a lost cause. You just argued that Nintendo selling the Switch for a near exact exchange rate in Europe is Europe getting screwed worse then normal.

In what world 300 dollars is 350€ ? Yes, I just argued that. I argued that usually, prices were converted as 1 dollar = 1€, vat included. If it was as usual, Switch would be sold for 300€. It's sold for 350€. Who's a lost cause ? Damn the apologism...

Tiberius

Nintendo are insane !
Overpriced console,games and accessories, paid online service which is a step back to today's standard

They reakky want to fail !

Mato

I demand an official explanation from Nintendo as to why it is so overpriced, even compared to the US version. I will not be buying at 330, not even for Zelda. 299 was already too much considering what is in the box.

cripterion

Price is crazyyyy!

During last Sony holiday campaign we sold PS4 pro's and while people were bitching about the price, I know some got away with the console for 350€ and Tomb Raider.
Regular PS4 with 3 games for 300€...

They better discount this shit hard for next christmas or it will bomb hard.

DieH@rd

Banned
European prices are VAT-inclusive and USD prices are tax-exclusive. 350 Euro pre-tax is 291 euros, which is 306 USD. Alternatively, the Switch is 360 USD in the US at comparable sales tax (which is 341 Euro in Euros)

Nobody in Europe ever cares what is pre-tax price. And no product is advertised with pre-tax price.

LegoArmo

It's completely incorrect and comes across as petty. The price the customer will pay is not $306.

I understand the price the customer will pay in most US states is not $300 either, but there's a lot more variables in pricing a product or service in different regions than just a straight exhange rate + tax.

Anticol

Banned
Irrelevant. EU never lists consumer prices without VAT and it was never an issue on GAF. Seems like you guys are trying to soften the damage by selectively applying VAT-less prices.

They did the same in the Australian price thread, it is $470AUD which is $350 USD but it says $312USD in the title.

Fuck it. I wanted to play the Zelda game but not at any price. I'll vote with my wallet and play the waiting game. I can wait.

Update: it's 330€ now

Top Bottom