• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch amazon.fr preorder up for 350 EUR ($306 USD) in France

Occam

What's with all the incorrect dollar exchange rates in the Switch topics?

350 EUR = 372 USD

There isn't one general US sales tax. In some states it's 0.

milanbaros

Member?
I this thread and every other price outrage thread people forget:

- the dollar has strengthened significantly.
- Most EU countries charge an additional 20% tax on consumer products.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As it's stated, the headline is just plain wrong. At least add a "before taxes" to that, otherwise it's just misleading.

Nugg

Yeah, reading this thread, it seems that they don't forget, they just don't like it.

DieH@rd

Banned
As it's stated, the headline is just plain wrong. At least add a "before taxes" to that, otherwise it's just misleading.

This. Also for us Europeans "before tax" is meaningless [while some US states don't have it, or have very low 3-8% tax].

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I pre-ordered one. Still not convinced it's worthy of 330 euro. Most likely I will cancel close to launch and buy one when Splatoon hits, unless some major surprise pops up. Who knows, maybe it bombs at launch and we get some crazy deals, like in the first summer of Wii U.

It doesn't matter when the other consoles are significantly cheaper.

Grizzo

whoa wait a minute that's way too much

Plus you have to get a game with it (which I guess are gonna be priced at 60 euros), so 410 euros in total

chugen

still buying it.. but i only see 1-2 switch and zelda for the launch date, is there something else coming??

zonq

Just pre-ordered in the hopes that Amazon.de price matches something that has it for 299 :) While still not convinced, I've got 6 more weeks to cancel the order if needed, soooo

sam777

Irrelevant. EU never lists consumer prices without VAT and it was never an issue on GAF. Seems like you guys are trying to soften the damage by selectively applying VAT-less prices.
Yep exactly this no consoles have done this before evee.

Why does the title say "306 USD in France"? It is way more than that.

VAD

So, Boulanger.com will put up the console for preorder tomorrow at 309.99€ .
C2ClVl0XgAA0nfX

Koren

It's not a rule...

Gamecube launched at 199€ VAT included a couple months after it launched at $199 in USA. The change back then was 0.85€ for $1, so a dollar FAR higher than now. At this time, 199€ was ~165 VAT excluded which converted to $150.

So GC in Europe was 25% cheaper than in the US.

Yeah it's 299€, now.
That's nice, and I think they're right avoiding 3xx price for psychologic reasons.

Add in 20€ back at FNAC, I feel a bit better myself at 279€.

m4st4

My current pre-order price (shipping and console) is 323 euros. Will they actually charge the lowest price - 299 euros + shipping cost, once it ships to Croatia?

Tntnico

And 349€ with Zelda at Amazon.
Best deal is still at Fnac with the console at 299€ with 30€ of cashback on the fidelity cars.

Has there been any coupons floating for amazon.fr? Tried to google but my lack of French kind of makes it hard. Might try again later, if the question below gets answered...

And if I use a coupon now after I've already pre-ordered, will they honor my place in the queue or does it reset like with tampering with the address etc.?

Koren

Best deal is still at Fnac with the console at 299€ with 30€ of cashback on the fidelity cars.
It's 30? My order says 20... You still need the card if you haven't it, though.

The main "problem" there is with FNAC is they're unreliable with their preorders. I've been burned a couple times with Amiibos... Switch shouldn't be an issue, but if there's shortage, I wouldn't rule out the idea of people not getting one day 1.

Slaythe

The french press murdered the console for its price point (and the price of the accessories).

That plus a playstation brand as strong as ever probably forced Nintendo to reconsider the outrageous price.

Putosaure

It's 30? My order says 20... You still need the card if you haven't it, though.

The main "problem" there is with FNAC is they're unreliable with their preorders. I've been burned a couple times with Amiibos... Switch shouldn't be an issue, but if there's shortage, I wouldn't rule out the idea of people not getting one day 1.

You had to use the code SWITCH30

Koren

The french press murdered the console for its price point (and the price of the accessories).
They did?

Can't say I'm surprised (press is totally unreliable anyway) but I've missed it.

That plus a playstation brand as strong as ever probably forced Nintendo to reconsider the outrageous price.
Possibly, but was even the 329€ price official? I wonder whether Nintendo delayed talking about the MSRP, and shops tried to guess. Seeing how prices were different from shops to shops in EU, I would have though they were just bad with PR on this point.

oti

Banned
Anyone know if Amazon FR ships stuff soon enough for launch, even if they are abroad (in this case Germany)?

I picked a Packstation as address. That way the more competent delivery service will handle it. The price difference right now compared to German stores is pretty neat. But waiting five or so days will be hard. :-:

Anyone know if Amazon FR ships stuff soon enough for launch, even if they are abroad (in this case Germany)?

I picked a Packstation as address. That way the more competent delivery service will handle it. The price difference right now compared to German stores is pretty neat. But waiting five or so days will be hard. :-:
Depends from which depot they ship from.
If it's a french depot, then I guess it won't arrive on launch day.
But sometimes they will ship from the nearest depot to you location.

Top Bottom