• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch: Buy Sonic Mania for EUR9.97 / USD11.70 on the Russian eShop

What I did was hit proceed to purchase then it'll log me in and say an error. Re-open the link in the OP and it'll show the Russian price.

I still can't buy it but that's how I was able to see the price.
That worked for me. Which one do I click?

FRcrMtF.png

FinalAres

I had to clear my cache to get it to work.

Guy above, have you already set up your card? I don't know for sure, but you might want to do that in English first, and then switch to Russia.

Worth it in the end :)

Elrond

Neo Member
What should we do if we're in the US? I saw someone recommended a service like Revolut, but when I signed up, it said the US is unsupported.

KaneU

OMG, it worked!

Thanks so much for this, I wanted to buy it but had to wait for a sale.

Is this a price error, why is it so low on the russian store?

brerwolfe

I mean, I've read through the thread but no one says where they're from. That's why I'm asking for confirmation. Maybe we're doing something wrong in the process somehow.

StrmSrg

Neo Member
I mean, I've read through the thread but no one says where they're from. That's why I'm asking for confirmation. Maybe we're doing something wrong in the process somehow.
I'm from the US and tried to buy it through a Russian account with my non-saved US visa and US MasterCard debit cards on both the switch and Nintendo website. No luck. Then I made my US account Russian and tried to buy it with my pre-saved US Visa debit card on both storefronts. Nope.

Paid in full myself,bought it for my son.
Was quite easy, thanks a lot!! For Dutch GAF:

- Change Netherlands for Russia on the website: https://accounts.nintendo.com
- Turn on your Switch
- Go to the E-shop
- Fill in your existing password ( same as you've had before )
- Buy Sonic Mania ( lay-out is exactly the same as the other E-shops )
- Don't forget to tick the boxes
- Download the game ( 184 MB )
- Go to https://accounts.nintendo.com again
- Change your country to the Netherlands

They only thing that happened to me is that I had to link my NNID to my account again. Piece of cake ( if you did not link them before you'll be good )

Why?

My country for instance doesn't even have eShop

As someone who lives in a country where games are charged between 20-40usd more than the US price, no thank you. They still get their money and I dont get shafted.
That's the exception, not the rule

Everyone has their own moral compass, and this to me is shafting both Nintendo and Sega for doing a good thing for gamers

Not judging anyone who does this btw, just doesn't feel right to me in this particular case

Elrond

Neo Member
USA—I tested a Square Cash Card. Nope.
Tried to sign up for Revolut. Nope.
Tried to sign up for Monzo. Nope.
Tried to sign up for WeSwap. Nope.

Surely there is a service like these in the US that might work?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I would if I could, but I already have $10 or so on my US account. It's cheaper for me to buy another $10 eShop code from Amazon and get it from my own eShop (well, technically it isn't my own because I don't live there, but my country doesn't have its own store).

Elrond

Neo Member

Everyone has their own moral compass, and this to me is shafting both Nintendo and Sega for doing a good thing for gamers

Not judging anyone who does this btw, just doesn't feel right to me in this particular case
Look at it this way. Perhaps you weren't planning to buy the game until it was on sale for $10. Either way, they get the sale. It just means someone in Russia bought it and someone in the US did not.

javac

Thanks OP just got it for £9, had a mega drive back in the day but since haven't really played the sonic games but that price is good enough for me to take a punt.

£9.33 bargain. Took 2 mins, nice and easy. Changed account language on my phone, loaded the store on my Switch, stumbled around the language barrier, download, then "Switched" back to English on my account, sorted.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Will this make Nintendo ban my account?

Yes. Most definitely.

... no, not at all. You can buy any game on any region and play it on your Switch. It's completely region free. You don't even need to use the same account you made your purchase with to play the game.

Well, maybe people gonna buy it now, who weren't willing to pay the full price and are eager to try the game. I don't think this will hurt the sales.The Sonic fans bought the game already I guess. I've paid twice now, once the full price, second time the Russian price for my kid.

Anyway, the Russian pay less, so that's weird. Personally I love Sonic Mania and sure I wanna support the devs, but it don't feels like taking advantage of anyone to me. But...I understand what you're trying to say.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

How about I just not buy the game at all?

WhatNXt

Nintendo and SEGA both know the machine is region free and they've set the price in RUB at 699, so I dunno - unless they rectify that, they have to expect a few internet savvy folk might take advantage.

For me, this puts it in impulse buy territory, whereas it wasn't quite there before.

Elrond

Neo Member
I gave up on trying to figure out a solution for the US. Buying the game twice, so I was hoping for a discount.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Glad to see you spending the time you saved in threads about games you have no interest in

I was thinking about buying it using thread title trick but your little lesson on ethics deterred me. Shouldnt you be happy?

Dont worry at the $27+tax its priced in my region I definitely have no interest in it.

TLZ

Banned
I was thinking about buying it using thread title trick but your little lesson on ethics deterred me. Shouldnt you be happy?

Dont worry at the $27+tax its priced in my region I definitely have no interest in it.
Just ignore these people.

With respect, do you think we would be doing it if we thought that was going to happen?

Yes, a lot of people decided to just take the risk or don't give a eff at all.

Either way, that was a genuine question, and with all due respect, you could just answer it

No, there's little to no risk of Nintendo banning you, BUT there is always a possibility, both Microsoft and Sony have their own policies and some of them involve suspensions, however, as far as we know, there have been no reports of people getting banned, so people keeps doing it

Top Bottom