• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch: Buy Sonic Mania for EUR9.97 / USD11.70 on the Russian eShop

Wow, we have all been waiting for Sega to make this game for years. Gaf being flooded with threads from truegamers preacing about how we finally have an alternative to those 3d sonic games the casuals like. Thanks Sega!

Now which developing country do we have to pretend to live in order to give them the absolute minimum amount of money possible for their effort.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Wow, we have all been waiting for Sega to make this game for years. Gaf being flooded with threads from truegamers preacing about how we finally have an alternative to those 3d sonic games the casuals like. Thanks Sega!

Now which developing country do we have to pretend to live in order to give them the absolute minimum amount of money possible for their effort.
It makes me sad.

CazTGG

First question: Will any of my current funds (Canadian) transfer over if I change the region to the region the eShop is attached to, or will I have to pay for the game via a credit card (I think it's around $15 CAD)?

Second question: Is this all part of an elaborate plan to rig the next Sonic and Mario at the Olympics?

First question: Will any of my current funds (Canadian) transfer over if I change the region to the region the eShop is attached to, or will I have to pay for the game via a credit card (I think it's around $15 CAD)?

Second question: Is this all part of an elaborate plan to rig the next Sonic and Mario at the Olympics?

Your current funds won't transfer over, afaik: you won't be able to transfer with funds.

however, I warn you that Canadian credit cards don't work with this. I had to ask my friend back in the UK to buy this for me. I sent him the money on paypal afterwards.

CazTGG

But I am alt left tho....

Then he'll ask very strongly for you to "reconsider".

Your current funds won't transfer over, afaik: you won't be able to transfer with funds.

however, I warn you that Canadian credit cards don't work with this. I had to ask my friend back in the UK to buy this for me. I sent him the money on paypal afterwards.

So i'll need to ask someone from Europe to purchase it (and pay them back) and send the code for Sonic Mania, is that right?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Welp, that made me buy the game. Thank you, OP.

I normally wouldn't have bought it since I'm not a Sonic fan and I'd rather have physical cartridges, but I am a fan of classic platformers and cheap prices, so I snagged it. Did Greenhill Zone. Pretty good so far. Looking forward to the rest!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Btw, if you're in France: you have to switch to nintendo.ru once you've changed your country settings, otherwise you still get the French eshop with the French prices.

That said, I had to switch to another browser I normally don't use for the process to work. Probably something to do with browser cache. If you use your usual browser, it might tell you that there's a difference between your profile and the shop you're trying to buy from, and it won't let you complete the transaction as a result.

I want to buy this, but none of my credit cards work (North America).

Anyone want to help a sister out for some PayPal swappage (plus some extra)?

pm me~

I'm unable to do it because of this:

This Nintendo Network ID cannot be linked because the country/region of residence setting doesn't match the one registered to your Nintendo Account.

Anyone else have this issue?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm unable to do it because of this:

This Nintendo Network ID cannot be linked because the country/region of residence setting doesn't match the one registered to your Nintendo Account.

Anyone else have this issue?

Where you from?
See my post above for some tips. Also, IIRC the NNID is NOT the Nintendo Account. The NNID was for 3DS/Wii U I think. The Switch has a Nintendo account. They're two different things. Confusing, I know. That might explain why you're having trouble.

Where you from?
See my post above for some tips. Also, IIRC the NNID is NOT the Nintendo Account. The NNID was for 3DS/Wii U I think. The Switch has a Nintendo account. They're two different things. Confusing, I know. That might explain why you're having trouble.

I'm from U.S.

I don't see an option anywhere to change my country of origin on my NNID. I don't even know how to access my NNID settings.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Er... Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I may well be), but your NNID is NOT your Switch Nintendo account. It's something else. Create/log on to your Nintendo account.

Worked perfect for me.

Thank you Putin for giving Sonic cheap to the masses.

putin_getty.jpg

Bydobob

Totally agree, however:

Welp, that made me buy the game. Thank you, OP.

I normally wouldn't have bought it since I'm not a Sonic fan and I'd rather have physical cartridges, but I am a fan of classic platformers and cheap prices, so I snagged it. Did Greenhill Zone. Pretty good so far. Looking forward to the rest!

Are they losing more than making in new players that otherwise wouldn't have bought the game?

Shiggy

Feel free to send them 1000€ to make up for the difference if you feel bad about it.

sirap

Works great with Malaysian credit cards. I have no problems doing this, cause Nintendo can't even be bothered too give us our own eShop.

ramparter

Banned
Cant change my region until I use my funds, and I want to use my funds to buy Sonic Mania.

:(
Thats why I never put extra funds, only the amount I want.
So far Ive bought Splatoon 2 from South African store, World of Goo from Mexican shop and now SMania from Russian shop, all in the same account.

I used a new NA account to buy Sonic Mania because I'm obsessive and need to buy games from the region they were developed in even if it means paying extra lol

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks OP ! That worked perfectly.

Like smmeone said : works better if you do it from a private tab another browser so cache and cookies don't interfere with the whole process.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
After making the changes, mine says 15.99 €

I don't get it

Copy the link to the eShop from OP and just replace co.uk with .ru. Also do that in a new private tab of your browser (it will surely ask you to re login).

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Oh momma. Thanks!

Is the private tab really needed though

Not necesseraly, but I find it just faster and cleaner to do it that way since you're sure to be free of any cache and page reloads and other shenanigans of the sort.

Draper

I'm half awake and can't figure out how to proceed on my phone with all this Russian. I kept pressing the confirmation button but I have no idea if I purchased the thing or not, ha

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I'm half awake and can't figure out how to proceed on my phone with all this Russian. I kept pressing the confirmation button but I have no idea if I purchased the thing or not, ha

You'll receive the usual purchase confirmation mails (but in russian tho) shortly after.

I was planning to wait for a sale anyway. €10 would be the price i'd buy it at. Now i dont have to wait for a sale.

deoee

I should try the USA

kubev

Yeah, I understand that some people legitimately have to support their hobbies/interests on a really low budget, but I hate to see stuff like this happening. Sure, a sale at a lower cost is generally better than no sale at all, but I feel as though far too many people who claim to love video games take serious issue with the prospect of supporting their development with money. Granted, I say this as someone who's used to really enjoying games that aren't particularly as relevant as I wish they were, and I'm used to having to support them out of fear that I won't see more of them unless they see as much support as possible.

That said, this is Sonic we're talking about, so I'm sure that things aren't that dire. Still, I feel like doing this potentially misrepresents a lot about how a game is enjoyed. Again, this is Sonic we're talking about, and it'll sell just fine in the U.S. without people exploiting stuff like this, but how messed up would it be if it potentially relegated future projects like this from Sega to other countries/regions aside from your own without any localization efforts that would improve the experience for you because Sega somehow got the impression that they weren't sufficiently popular in your own region to warrant a release there?

Yeah, I understand that some people legitimately have to support their hobbies/interests on a really low budget, but I hate to see stuff like this happening. Sure, a sale at a lower cost is generally better than no sale at all, but I feel as though far too many people who claim to love video games take serious issue with the prospect of supporting their development with money. Granted, I say this as someone who's used to really enjoying games that aren't particularly as relevant as I wish they were, and I'm used to having to support them out of fear that I won't see more of them unless they see as much support as possible.

That said, this is Sonic we're talking about, so I'm sure that things aren't that dire. Still, I feel like doing this potentially misrepresents a lot about how a game is enjoyed. Again, this is Sonic we're talking about, and it'll sell just fine in the U.S. without people exploiting stuff like this, but how messed up would it be if it potentially relegated future projects like this from Sega to other countries/regions aside from your own without any localization efforts that would improve the experience for you because Sega somehow got the impression that they weren't sufficiently popular in your own region to warrant a release there?

This goes for every game I presume? You always pay the highest price to support the devs?

I bought my version on the Dutch E-Shop and the version of my son, thanks to this thread, on the Russian shop. But if I knew this before, I'm not gonna lie, I would have bought my copy on the Russian shop too.

The price is lower on that shop. It's not like we are, or all the Russians are, commiting a crime. I don't think it'll hurt the sale. For most people, who are on the fence, the lower price will make it more of an impulse buy, so it could improve sales.

Not only that, the taxes on this are going to the Russian government. Good job there OP!

This goes for every game I presume? You always pay the highest price to support the devs?

I bought my version on the Dutch E-Shop and the version of my son, thanks to this thread, on the Russian shop. But if I knew this before, I'm not gonna lie, I would have bought my copy on the Russian shop too.

The price is lower on that shop. It's not like we are, or all the Russians are, commiting a crime. I don't think it'll hurt the sale. For most people, who are on the fence, the lower price will make it more of an impulse buy, so it could improve sales.

Plus it is worth nothing that these sales aren't from "shady" 3rd party key-resellers that acquired keys through dubious means, but from Nintendo Directly.

I won't lie, If I was the developer I'd be a little annoyed (Depending on the volumes of people buying from outside their region), but you can't exactly blame a customer for taking a cheaper option when it has been presented to them, especially if it's through official channels.

In an ideal world, we should support the devs as much as we can. But for someone who lives in a developing country (no eshop is even available for my country) who earns a little less than maybe someone who lives in the US, an $8 saving is a big difference. I wanted to buy this as a fan of the older Sonic games but would've waited for a sale as budget is tight. Now I impulse bought it when I found out about this and I regret nothing!!!

Top Bottom