• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch cracking near power button?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It may have already been asked, but do you hold the Switch with one hand? Maybe it's putting too much stress on it if so. I stopped holding mine with one hand because the length of the device made it feel like there was extra pressure on the device when holding it that way.

Before I get attacked, I'm not saying that it should, just trying to understand what may be causing to so others can avoid.

This isn't to be ignored, stress fractures. I was guilty of the same thing initially and I had a crack too.

Quoting myself from page 1 of the thread:

OP by any chance left handed? This looks pretty much like a stress fracture by the pressure of holding the Switch by it's Left joy-con one handed (and thus bending the unit ever so slightly via the rail that connects the two pieces).

It may have already been asked, but do you hold the Switch with one hand? Maybe it's putting too much stress on it if so. I stopped holding mine with one hand because the length of the device made it feel like there was extra pressure on the device when holding it that way.

Before I get attacked, I'm not saying that it should, just trying to understand what may be causing to so others can avoid.

Nope. Always hold with both hands when the joycons are attached. I kinda had a feeling holding with one hand would create unnessessary pressure. Must just be bad luck. Can't say I've ever had issues like this with any console or handheld. I wonder if it has anything to do with leaving the joycons attached while docked at all times?

Nope. Always hold with both hands when the joycons are attached. I kinda had a feeling holding with one hand would create unnessessary pressure. Must just be bad luck. Can't say I've ever had issues like this with any console or handheld. I wonder if it has anything to do with leaving the joycons attached while docked at all times?

My Joycons are always attached when I dock too. Haven't had an issue but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Ah, glad I found this thread. This happened to my Switch yesterday. Found a black piece of plastic next to me while gaming, then later found out it came from my Switch.

Didn't know this was something many people have had.

img_0021c5qib.jpg

What are my options? I'm thinking of covering it with some black electrical tape.

Ah, glad I found this thread. This happened to my Switch yesterday. Found a black piece of plastic next to me while gaming, then later found out it came from my Switch.

What are my options? I'm thinking of covering it with some black electrical tape.
Nah man, send it to Nintendo

AEREC

I put a small piece of packing tape on mine, I also have a Mumba rugged case for it (gives it a better grip as well) so I never notice the crack anymore.

Im waiting until back plates are easily available so I can switch i tout myself instead of sending it to nintendo and risk saves being lost.

Nah man, send it to Nintendo

Has anyone here done this? I might ring them up, it's still under warranty, but I'm worried about my save files if they end up giving me another switch ( which I doubt)

I put a small piece of packing tape on mine, I also have a Mumba rugged case for it (gives it a better grip as well) so I never notice the crack anymore.

Im waiting until back plates are easily available so I can switch i tout myself instead of sending it to nintendo and risk saves being lost.

I might look into that case. Thanks.

Edit: Bought it! Had to get it from eBay as amazon wouldn't ship to my address. It's still coming from overseas.

Just checked my switch. Luckily no crack.
The only little issue I have, is a slightly loose left joycon, when in handheld mode.

I have this as well. There is maybe 1 or 2mm of movement possible. Doesn't cause me any problems, and hasn't got any worse since I first noticed it a couple of months back.

Enzom21

Has anyone here done this? I might ring them up, it's still under warranty, but I'm worried about my save files if they end up giving me another switch ( which I doubt)

I might look into that case. Thanks.

Edit: Bought it! Had to get it from eBay as amazon wouldn't ship to my address. It's still coming from overseas.
Normally, Nintendo transfers saves from your old Switch to the new one. That's happened in all the warranty cases I've heard about so far.

My Mumba rugged case arrived today but there are a couple of problems I found after attaching it. Firstly you cannot remove/slide out the joycons with it on, and secondly it's too thick to fit in the charging dock.

If you're mainly using it in portable mode there shouldn't be an issue, but I go back and forth between portable and docked mode, plus I recharge it in the dock, so it's no use to me. I just have some electrical tape to cover the broken part.

Top Bottom