• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Lite and Prime Day

tsumake

Question: I’m planning to get a Switch Lite. Should I get one now or wait for Prime Day? Could there be a shortage if I wait?

LQX

There seems to be no shortage of Switch consoles these days so you might as well wait to see if they by chance have a sale on it, though I doubt it. Also, if you have a Discover or Chase card they are running promos where you can save a few dollars if you use your points cards.

Banned
I always have to ask this when I see someone wanting to buy one...
WHY? why not a normal one? with the drifting issue of the sticks and them not being replaceable on the Lite... I would be so paranoid whenever I would use it.

But I mean, you should be good. the Switch is not as hard to get as the other consoles

Last edited:

Codes 208

WHY? why not a normal one? with the drifting issue of the sticks and them not being replaceable on the Lite... I would be so paranoid whenever I would use it.

But I mean, you should be good. the Switch is not as hard to get as the other consoles
Some people just want to play it as a handheld and don’t want to spend the extra $100

TLZ

Banned
No shortage. But imo get the normal one because of the well known drifting issues. At least when your warranty is up you can get a new set of joycons instead of replacing the whole console if you got the Lite.

Also an extra on the off occasion you felt like playing on TV.

Codes 208

well they gonna spend some extra when the left stick starts developing a mind of its own lol
People don’t usually care about “what could happen” and care about what’s in the now.

otherwise I wouldn’t have people saying no to having extended warranties 98% of the time at work

like, I have a regular switch and so do my friends and my sister and mom. But two of my other sisters, my sister-in-law and several cousins have a switch lite. The damn thing sells about as well as a regular because it’s marketed at a larger casual audience

Last edited:

Kuranghi

People don’t usually care about “what could happen” and care about what’s in the now.

otherwise I wouldn’t have people saying no to having extended warranties 98% of the time at work

like, I have a regular switch and so do my friends and my sister and mom. But two of my other sisters, my sister-in-law and several cousins have a switch lite. The damn thing sells about as well as a regular because it’s marketed at a larger casual audience

What products aren't you selling extended warranties on? Generally everything in a general store or is it a specific product?

Last edited:

Codes 208

What products aren't you selling extended warranties on? Generally everything in a general store or is it a specific product?
Mostly expensive electronics like consoles and tv’s. Most people only seem to want to spend on the lowest necessity.

which is the same reason why the series s and switch lite have a market
The thing is, aren’t they prepping a Switch Pro? I figure I could get a Lite to build up a library and then get a Pro later on.
Supposedly. But again, when given the chance you’ll see the average consumer will decide to save money on a $200-300 console than a enthusiast model running $400-500

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Trade in an Xbox One at GameStop for $150 towards a Switch Lite. That's the best deal so far.

Quasicat

I have had a standard Switch since launch; last year, I bought a Lite for my kid and immediately went to the store and bought one for me. I’m completely digital on it and it works perfectly as a handheld for work with my standard Switch used exclusively at home. I love the way it feels to play on it and would say that you should go for it!

tsumake

I have had a standard Switch since launch; last year, I bought a Lite for my kid and immediately went to the store and bought one for me. I’m completely digital on it and it works perfectly as a handheld for work with my standard Switch used exclusively at home. I love the way it feels to play on it and would say that you should go for it!

Have you had any issues with drift?

Quasicat

None. I only play two games exclusively on the Lite, as I play Fortnite and Skyrim normally on the Xbox at home. Those two alone account for 125 hours of playtime. I also have over 500 hours on Animal Crossing, but would say about 200 hours or so are on the Lite. It was an issue for my launch Switch, but the three Switch Lites in the house (mine and two kids) have not had any drift issues.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
No Switch shortages, especially not switch lite shortages

Those only happend early 2019 and during early covid. I mean they sell 20m consoles a year now, of course there are no shortages anymore.

So wait and see

kiphalfton

well they gonna spend some extra when the left stick starts developing a mind of its own lol

That's what you call foresight. Most people are severely lacking in that area.

That or they have the JG Wentworth mindset like OP where they "need it now". I mean seriously, why would you not just wait until Prime Day which is only a couple days off, especially if you waited this long.

Last edited:

tsumake

That's what you call foresight. Most people are severely lacking in that area.

That or they have the JG Wentworth mindset like OP where they "need it now". I mean seriously, why would you not just wait until Prime Day which is only a couple days off, especially if you waited this long.

I was asking if I should wait to see if the Lite will be on sale on Prime Day considering there shortages in the past. No need to be snippy.

Chukhopops

I have both and the Switch Lite handles and feels much better to play than the big Switch, and to me Switch games look awful on a modern TV.

Kuranghi

Mostly expensive electronics like consoles and tv’s. Most people only seem to want to spend on the lowest necessity.

All I used to do was ask them if they had problems in the past and whether it was a hassle or not to get it sorted, they are 9 times out of 10 going to say it was a big hassle, then you tell them your store will take care of all that hassle and get it replaced much quicker than the manufacturer.

I believe you can do better, I've known many salesman who've had like 80-90% attach rates for 10+ years, you can sell anything to anyone even if they need it. Pray upon their fears and weaknesses my friend, I want to hear about an uptick is attach rate next time we speak!

Every salesman in the world must watch this scene to understand how to be a proper salesman:

I'm so bored out of work haha, if I could I wouldnt literally come to your store and help you sell insurance to everyone (except nice old ladies ofc) on everything.

i want to pick one up. i really hope we get an updated one with better battery but might just grab a lite. i need to make sure i have a Switch for SMTV, Pokemon, and BOTW2.

i don't want to play games on my TV anymore. that's why. i don't care about the drifting. in all my years of gaming never have i had a drifting controller and yes that includes a hybrid Switch. had one between 2017 + 2020 and put a shit load of hours into games = no drifting. i'm not saying it's not real but it's never happened to me and if it ever does then Nintendo will fix it.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member

I got a yellow Switch Lite at launch and used it for maybe a month or two. I then went back to the regular Switch. "Switching" was too important for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom