• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Nindies Showcase 28 Feb 2017. 9 AM PT.

Fredrik

Wow this almost makes up for the weak AAA content (except Zelda), I saw like 10 games I wanted!
Steam World Dig 2 was my favorite, I just loved the first game, made a thread about it long ago, if this game is even better it'll honestly be on my GOTY list.

Nezzhil

Chucklefish does what Nintendon't in making Unadvanced Wars

clapping.gif

I'm really happy about Overcooked. It's a game that deserved more recognition, I hope it sells well on the Switch.
I'll buy it for sure when I have one Switch, that multiplayer...

Thinking about My Nintendo and the Switch, I'm wondering if they're primarily offer discounts on indie games in year one. I'd be really darn happy to spend coins for a small discount on some of these titles and we won't have VC in the immediate future.

Indelible

Very impressed by this list of games, I usually play indie games on PC but I might have to get them on Switch for the portability

XaosWolf

Enter the Gungeon
Snake Pass
Duck Game
Stardew Valley
Toejam & Earl: BitG
Wonder Boy (Both of them!)
Cave Story
1001 Spikes
Shovel Knight
Yooka-Laylee
Towerfall: Ascension
Ultimate Chicken Horse
A NEW Blaster Master
Splasher
Overcooked (NEEDS EVEN MORE LEVELS OR AN EDITOR)
JACKBOX 3
Shakedown Hawaii
Mr Shifty
Dandara
Hollow Knight
Motherfuckin' THUMPER

...I am giddy with excitement because of PORTABILITY.
All I need is Spelunky and we're already up to speed with my absolute favourite indies. =D

Everyone tweet Mossmouth!

Spy

The decision to buy a lot of these indie titles would be such an easy choice for me if the Switch had an achievement system. Nintendo really messed up by not embracing industry standards.

jariw

I'll probably skip double-dipping MK8 Deluxe and get some more indies instead. Wonder if they are doing a second showcase in a few months? Seems like many of these games were March/April games, and there were lots of games that weren't shown at all (will triple dip Terraria).

UberTag

I don't know why, but being able to play indie games on the bed matters so much to me. If I have to choose between Switch and other platform for these games, I'd always choose Switch.
This is the reason I've always deferred to Vita for these titles in the past.
Switch is truly the Vita successor we've longed for.

Vitacat

Very impressed by this list of games, I usually play indie games on PC but I might have to get them on Switch for the portability

Same for me. I love my PC. But Switch means my games are both portable and console, which almost feels like I'm getting 2 versions for one price. Honestly, even if it means worse graphics sometimes, I can see myself choosing Switch versions of games over others for that versatility.

Clearos

good bye wallet.

I really appreciate the presentation. No drawn out explanations or anything. Right to the point and game after game.

Felensis

Banned
HOLY SHIT! One hell of a show this was!
This made me to want nearly all of the games shown! Switch purchase justified even more so. It already has more to offer as I can possibly play in my spare time as a husband, father and employee. Poor XB1S sits there on the sideboard collecting dust...

Can we admit how great of a presentation this was? This was a great presentation and one of the best from Nintendo. This is why I love Nintendo Directs. It flows so well and when you have great content it works.

Instro

Was kind of hoping for a few really good exclusives or Nintendo funded titles. Outside of Blaster Master nothing really grabbed me, or is/will be available elsewhere.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This was amazing. One of the biggest selling factors the switch has for me is it's potential to be an amazing portable indie system and this direct definitely delivered on that front.

brinstar

I don't know why, but being able to play indie games on the bed matters so much to me. If I have to choose between Switch and other platform for these games, I'd always choose Switch.

I feel the same way, expect for like, all games. I don't know why but I've always been obsessed with handheld ports of console games even going back to the original game boy. So the Switch is like my dream machine haha.

The decision to buy a lot of these indie titles would be such an easy choice for me if the Switch had an achievement system. Nintendo really messed up by not embracing industry standards.

Eh, I loved gaming before achievements, I loved gaming when I cared about achievements, and I still love games after I stopped caring about achievements.

Maybe they'll patch it in for you guys. Sony was able to add trophies mid generation with the PS3.

weekev

Banned
the quality of these games are amazing. Particular standouts for me are flipping death, yooka laylee (obviously), shakedown hawaii, wargroove and of course Stardew Valley which I still haven't played. Fair play Nintendo, no idea how i will find the time for all of this plus Zelda.

oti

Banned

I get the love for achievements but not playing games because they don't offer you a list of things to do for a meaningless scorecard is kind of too much, isn't it?

Eh, I loved gaming before achievements, I loved gaming when I cared about achievements, and I still love games after I stopped caring about achievements.

Maybe they'll patch it in for you guys. Sony was able to add trophies mid generation with the PS3.

When people click on the games on the Switch it shows "My Nintendo" achievements or awards or something like that. It almost implied each game might have something.

This was a far, far better indie showcase than I expected given past precedent; I thought we'd mostly get some dates and ports. In the past, the Nindies reels felt like a small slice of the pie, like the 3DS and Wii U were playing catch-up, but the Switch looks positioned to lead the conversation—particularly in genres that were at their peak in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

I'm not going to have time to even look at most of these until they come in a bundle, sadly, but that isn't to speak against their value; I know I'll have my eye on many of these games at full price as they launch.

Granted, a lot of the content that excites me most is non-exclusive. Wargroove looks to fill a desperate void where Advance Wars is supposed to be (really, that's the whole pitch). Yooka-Laylee I was interested in but hadn't looked at in a while, and what I noticed more than anything else was that David Wise has brought his best to the table. And Mr Shifty definitely caught my eye: it will be interesting to see how fast-paced top-down stealth action compares to a more patient and methodical game like Mark of the Ninja.

SteamWorld Dig 2 doesn't interest me as much as a Heist 2 would have (Dig is great, but Heist was a whole other level of design from Image & Form), but it does look like a noticeable step up from the original, and the trailer made me appreciate how this generation I won't have to choose between portable and HD, as we're getting both at once. The lack of a traditional D-pad worries me somewhat for games like this, though not as much as it did before I got to try the Switch myself.

It does look as though HD Rumble and Joy-Con co-op will be an attractive enticement going forward for the Switch to be the lead platform for many of these games, particularly as the indie market is one place where horsepower parity won't matter. That said, if you read the fine print, multiplayer will eventually require the paid online service here, too.

Nicko

Just have to get my 2 cents in here....

STEAMWORLD DIG 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBBLLLAAARRRRGGGGAAAAHHHHH!! I'm so ridiculously pumped right now...

There are some AWESOME indies coming to switch!!!

Mixed feelings about the presentation of this. Damon spieled a bit too much, and his puns were bad. But at times his voice over was helpful and I respect that he let some games speak for themselves at times.

Steamworld Dig was a highlight for me. It's a nice variety of games. Could end up filling the shoes of the Vita for indies. However I still have reservations about their digital rights management.

edit. Still no Rocket League either... big loss.

Kyzer

Banned
Any good deals on that Sandisk? Feeling the need to purchase... $72 on Amazon seems OK, but not great.

Nah not yet...got it for 72 too...

I was going to do Physical. Still am but with all these indie titles I am glad I have the 256 micro sd that came with my Note 7 purchase.

As a mostly physical gamer, I agree with this.

Same, this will be my first time even needing much space for digital

LordRaptor

Mr Shifty definitely caught my eye: it will be interesting to see how fast-paced top-down stealth action compares to a more patient and methodical game like Mark of the Ninja.

I don't think Mr Shifty is supposed to be a stealth game as much as its Hotline Miami mixed with that nightcrawler opening scene from xmen 2

I don't think Mr Shifty is supposed to be a stealth game as much as its Hotline Miami mixed with that nightcrawler opening scene from xmen 2

Yes, looking again it again via its own trailer, it's definitely more like Hotline Miami—fast and zippy, this time in melee range.

Mixed feelings about the presentation of this. Damon spieled a bit too much, and his puns were bad. But at times his voice over was helpful and I respect that he let some games speak for themselves at times.

I thought this was one of the most efficiently packed presentations out of him, though a lot of that was in how rapidly one segment cut to the next. There wasn't a lot of padding, and part of why the presentation surprised me with how much it had to offer was that I just didn't expect that much out of 17 minutes. And I think this is the first time I've seen the Nindies reel be so concise about its messaging when it comes to exclusivity (Switch exclusive, Switch/3DS exclusive, timed, first, console first, feature-exclusive)—greater exclusivity than I expected, and very little confusion to be had at the end of it.

I will dump a hundred bucks in my Nintendo account on Friday and that should start the ball rolling on eshop purchases.

I watched the videos again. I am excited about the games coming out. Switch really is shaping up to be the Vita successor on indies we just need JRPG's now.

antibolo

Banned

That's a very stupid reason for not buying a game.

Skeletos311

Perhaps we should backpedal a little on the overused "pixel art" style now.

Then when you get a something that doesn't look like a SNES game scaled up 10 times its original size, people say it looks like a Flash game or a phone game or even claim they're not sprites. Can't please everyone.

Spy

I get the love for achievements but not playing games because they don't offer you a list of things to do for a meaningless scorecard is kind of too much, isn't it?
I wouldn't call it meaningless for myself. They're a source of enjoyment because they help me get many more hours out of my games that I wouldn't have otherwise and I find it addicting collecting them.

I had assumed Miiverse was going to return on the Switch and had hoped their achievement system would involve unlocking an assortment of stamps for each game.

That's a very stupid reason for not buying a game.

I find it very stupid Nintendo didn't adopt industry standards.

Top Bottom