• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Nindies Showcase 28 Feb 2017. 9 AM PT.

KooopaKid

Banned
Is this E3? Excellent presentation and very good for the future of the console.
I didn't fall in love with any of the games so far but Mr. Shifty looked very cool.

LordRaptor

I find it very stupid Nintendo didn't adopt industry standards.

you mean Playstation and Xbox standards, because they're the only gaming platforms that have mandatory systemic achievements.

Nintendo / Steam / Origin / UPlay / Amazon / Android / IOS / anything else I can't remember offhand don't give a fuck about achievements like you seem to

Mutant

you mean Playstation and Xbox standards, because they're the only gaming platforms that have mandatory systemic achievements.

Nintendo / Steam / Origin / UPlay / Amazon / Android / IOS / anything else I can't remember offhand don't give a fuck about achievements like you seem to

Steam, Origin, and uPlay all have achievements.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So many games that will make the Switch the ultimate multiplayer machine!

So glad I got the 200GB microSD!

I did too. I already got 6 indie games on my "must buy after zelda/shovel knight/snipperclips" list. and then there is mk8/arms/splatoon all before autumn..

Vitacat

I'm going physical whenever possible. So, for now I'm not planning to get a mSD for Switch. Thinking a good number of indies will fit into the free ~26GB internal storage.

Spy

You're ignoring the fact that all of those services you listed have the ability for achievements, regardless if it's mandatory or not. The Switch doesn't even have a system in place.

It's not a huge deal to me because I'll just continue buying indie games on my PlayStation 4 or MacBook Pro but they could have made a new customer for these types of games on the Nintendo platform.

You're ignoring the fact that all of those services you listed have the ability for achievements, regardless if it's mandatory or not. The Switch doesn't even have a system in place.

It's not a huge deal to me because I'll just continue buying indie games on my PlayStation 4 or MacBook Pro but they could have made a new customer for these types of games.

We honestly don't know this for certain yet. They could very well do as they said and implement My Nintendo Missions as they've done in their Mobile games. Nobody can test any online features yet.

Interfectum

We honestly don't know this for certain yet. They could very well do as they said and implement My Nintendo Missions as they've done in their Mobile games. Nobody can test any online features yet.

I highly doubt Switch has achievements or even My Nintendo Missions yet. We would have seen something about it by now... from indies, from the OS, from the dev info, something.

It's not a deal breaker for me but it is kinda dumb to not have achievements at this point. Most third party games already have achievements and are having to remove them for the Switch port. Not really cool.

Zedark

I'm going physical whenever possible. So, for now I'm not planning to get a mSD for Switch. Thinking a good number of indies will fit into the free ~26GB internal storage.

I think so, too. I will get a few indies (at most 10) in the first year, so no reason to upgrade with a micro sd card just yet since I will go physical wherever possible. These cards drop in price quite quickly as well, like almost halving the price for the higher capacities (I was told), so perhaps in a year you can get a 256 gb card for 40-50 dollars, which would be a sweet deal imo.

Spy

While I don't believe MyNintendo Missions are on the Switch because we would have heard something by now, it's completely different than a proper achievement system where you can compare with friends and unlocks are able to be viewed internally, the OS.

Not through an external source such as a website.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
While I don't believe MyNintendo Missions are on the Switch because we would have heard something by now, it's completely different than a proper achievement system where you can compare with friends and unlocks are able to be viewed internally, the OS.

Not through an external source such as a website.
Instead of something that gives you discounts and other incentives?

Spy

Instead of something that gives you discounts and other incentives?
Easily. Who cares about a 30% discount on a $7.99 game? Especially when you're not able to choose the title that's discounted. I don't know what these other incentives are that you speak of but I would like nothing more than for Nintendo to get with the times and stop trying to be different when it comes to things that have become standard.

Zedark

Easily. Who cares about a 30% discount on a $7.99 game? Especially when you're not able to choose the title that's discounted. I don't know what these other incentives are that you speak of but I would like nothing more than for Nintendo to get with the times and stop trying to be different when it comes to things that have become standard.

I think getting discount on smaller games as a reward for fulfilling achievements is pretty neat actually. I still see what you are saying, though. A system of visible achievements would be nice, though it is hardly an issue for me personally.

Spy

Origin has achievements (origin points) on 3 games.
Like... that barely even counts as statistical noise, let alone 'a system'.
Origin is not a gaming system like the Nintendo Switch is, it's a service like Uplay. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are gaming systems that have mandatory achievements.

Steam isn't even a gaming system but you'd be hard pressed to find a game released in the past few years that doesn't have achievements.

Waji

Maybe you do, but I prefer Nintendo Missions because it gives a reason to get these useless achievements if there is.
To each his own. I absolutely don't see why they should do the exact same, that's almost the definition of "boring".
I'm sorry for you, just don't buy the Switch and that's it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Superb direct! Looking forward to getting a handful of those on the eShop this holiday season!

Crayolan

Origin is not a gaming system like the Nintendo Switch is, it's a service like Uplay. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are gaming systems that have mandatory achievements.

Steam isn't even a gaming system but you'd be hard pressed to find a game released in the past few years that doesn't have achievements.

Undertale

LordRaptor

Origin is as much a platform as Steam is, and no, I don't have to look particularly hard to find a game that doesn't have achievements on Steam.
I can just click the "recently released" tab.

You can pretend that a mandatory system for achievements is "industry standard" all you want to, but it literally is not, and I don't believe it ever should be.

If developers want to add achievements, they're welcome to. If they don't, they shouldn't have to. Thats what actual options are.
Given The Binding of Isaacs progression system is entirely achievement related, at least one title does in fact have achievements.

hatchx

Banned
Fantastic lineup.

Too many games to name landing right on my radar. Shit.

I didn't consider RIME an Indie game though, so it felt weird to see it on the list.

Also kind of expected the presentation to show some love for Snipperclips, but I guess that's kind of a 1st party game at this point.

The decision to buy a lot of these indie titles would be such an easy choice for me if the Switch had an achievement system. Nintendo really messed up by not embracing industry standards.

You get to play them anywhere though. Isn't that more important than achievements? The lack of d-pad is the real deal breaker for some games for me though.

Zedark

Fantastic lineup.

Too many games to name landing right on my radar. Shit.

I didn't consider RIME an Indie game though, so it felt weird to see it on the list.

Also kind of expected the presentation to show some love for Snipperclips, but I guess that's kind of a 1st party game at this point.

Well, it used to be a collab with Sony, so I see why you would think that. Tequila Works has bought the IP back from Sony, though, so now they are independently developing it.

Javier

Amazing presentation. Interested in Blaster Master Zero, Overcooked, Yooka-Laylee, Pocket Fighter, Wargroove, Runner 3, Flipping Death and Stardew Valley. Everything else looks great, too.

Speely

Banned
It's very promising to see that the console will have healthy indie support early on. Combining lots of good indie games with arguably the best first-party development in the world means that the dearth of Western AAA games we will presumably see won't have as adverse an effect as it otherwise would.

Plus there are lots of games on that list I want. ;) And Thumper with HD Rumble... hnnng.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Don't have time to read the thread or watch it. Was it good?

yeah man

switch_indiegraphic5psnk.png

GDGF

Soothsayer
I saw some great looking 2D shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups. Those were my arcade staples back in the glory days.

Two players out of the box. This system is going to be so good<3

ncslamm

Can we admit how great of a presentation this was? This was a great presentation and one of the best from Nintendo. This is why I love Nintendo Directs. It flows so well and when you have great content it works.

It was very well done.

Yooka-Laylee is "coming soon." Doesn't the game release in April for all other platforms? I wonder how long it will take to port.

Litri

Finished watching it now on youtube and I liked it. Nintendo is really taking indies seriously and as a big chunk of my Wii U library is indies I will need to go big. I'm leaning towards the Samsung MicroSDXC 256GB EVO Plus UHS-I. Fast and reasonably cheap for its size.

A lot of people are saying this kind of reignited the hype that was lost during the January presentation...

They showed a lot of big 3rd party devs in January... but the biggest advantage in this presentation? The Games!

Software sells. People don't... usually.

Edit: The title of this post was a mistake lol.

maxcriden

When people click on the games on the Switch it shows "My Nintendo" achievements or awards or something like that. It almost implied each game might have something.

Wait, really?! That'd be awesome. I thought that screen was just for entering points through registering a physical copy?

Wow, I'm glad I took the time to watch that. A bunch of those games looked really good, and I don't normally do digital only console games.

Skyzard

Banned
You get to play them anywhere though. Isn't that more important than achievements? The lack of d-pad is the real deal breaker for some games for me though.

Joycon d-pad really isn't that bad. Maybe for some super tight platformers, but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised. The analogues are pretty good too.

Annoyed there's no date for Overcooked, since I was debating buying it the other day on another platform. If it's gonna be just a month I'll wait, but if it's like Q4 2017 I'm not gonna bother.

I was really really hoping for the Rocket League rumour to be a thing. I've got my fingers crossed for an E3 announcement for that still. Quite a few good looking interesting games down, not bad!

Top Bottom