• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Ports That Excel

I was watching the Alien Isolation video by Digital Foundry

I wanted to catch up on older games that I missed from previous generations. What titles would you recommend for the Switch that can be purchased digitally?

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I've been playing Saints Row IV on Switch recently, and it's a surprisingly solid version of the game. I remember when it came out on PS3/360, it ran like dog shit on those consoles. Often going into teens and low 20s. The Switch version isn't like the PC version by any means, but it seems to stay above 30, which is probably thanks to the dynamic resolution. I just remember every time I needed to sprint on PS3, it would just start to chug pretty bad, and I haven't really felt like I've noticed that on Switch, and even still, it's cool having this type of game on a handheld.

Fbh

Hollow Knight.
The graphic style and art direction translate perfectly fine to the less powerful switch, looks really nice in both handheld and docket mode and outside of a single boss fight which runs poorly in handheld mode I found the performance to be great.

mcjmetroid

The best one I've played from modern consoles is dragon quest xi.

Now it doesn't look as good as the PS4 version by any means but I believe they did the very best port possible considering the system and the additional content makes it more than good enough.

It's still a great looking game. Is it blurry? It can be but for the style of game and because of the colorful graphics I think it gets away with it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The best one I've played from modern consoles is dragon quest xi.

Now it doesn't look as good as the PS4 version by any means but I believe they did the very best port possible considering the system and the additional content makes it more than good enough.

It's still a great looking game. Is it blurry? It can be but for the style of game and because of the colorful graphics I think it gets away with it.
It doesn't run the best from what I've seen but it has more content. A big fuck you to early adopters even so yeah it counts!

MagnesG

Banned
Need to know your preferences though.

For the record Nintendo ports are mighty excellent.

It doesn't run the best from what I've seen but it has more content. A big fuck you to early adopters even so yeah it counts!
Switch owners are also getting screwed by getting the game late? What's the big problem when you already had the full game and cheaper if you buy it now?

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Dauntless.
It's a Monster Hunter type MMO that has multiplatform connectivity. I tried it on the Switch on a whim and was surprised at how good it both looked at played. I dare say it loads faster than both the PS4 and PC versions.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Diablo 3 is a great port, I just realized I was sick of death of the game after I bought it. Not the game's fault.

Switch owners are also getting screwed by getting the game late? What's the big problem when you already had the full game and cheaper if you buy it now?

It's not the full game anymore - that's the problem. I would pay $10 for the Switch content as DLC on the PC.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest. They actually look and run better on Switch than on Xbox One.

Dragon Quest XI might not look quite as good as the PS4 version, but it's still the definitive version with a ton more features and content.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
lol what

You do know the ps4 version was the launch version right and that we are talking about ports in this same thread?
DQ XI was the first game announced for Switch guess what. In 2015. Fuck knows how people feel about that.

It's not the full game anymore - that's the problem. I would pay $10 for the Switch content as DLC on the PC.
Original Persona 5 is still the full game, just like DQ XIS. I know it's still scummy for SE doing it but no, early adopters are no getting screwed much. You got what you pay for, at that time.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Dragon Quest XI is probably the best example with it being the best version overall.

For me it makes it playable as I can much more enjoy it in 2D mode.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
DQ XI was the first game announced for Switch guess what. In 2015.
What are you even on about? it came out for the ps4/pc first nobody is saying anything about what it was announced for first. The switch version has extra content. People think early adopters got screwed. In fact another poster joined in afterwards so what are you even talking about?
early adopters are no getting screwed much.
uGZqLvl.jpg

DQ11's Switch port was the best port of a vanilla jrpg and it was a rare example of a superior version belonging to the console due to extra content.

MagnesG

Banned
What are you even on about? it came out for the ps4/pc first nobody is saying anything about what it was announced for first. The switch version has extra content. People think early adopters got screwed. In fact another poster joined in afterwards so what are you even talking about?
Did I quote about it being ports or not? Go figure out what I'm actually replying to.

uGZqLvl.jpg
uGZqLvl.jpg

DQ11's Switch port was the best port of a vanilla jrpg and it was a rare example of a superior version belonging to the console due to extra content.
...that came out 2 years later when in fact it was announced first. A big fuck you to SE for that and even bigger fuck you if it is a straight port. Their strategy to spread the market pretty much failed when they managed to piss off both crowds.

Though my original point is you're not getting screwed much when you get to play it sooner rather than those who still can't get to play it, all early adopters who bought it can already finish the game first so I really don't understand what is there to rage about.

You're getting screwed because SE gonna SE with gatekeeping not because you bought the game early. You even got the early hype and all that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Did I quote about it being ports or not? Go figure out what I'm actually replying to.
You asked me a a question and you started talking about something else unrelated to the thread and what I posted.

You're getting screwed because SE gonna SE with gatekeeping not because you bought the game early. You even got the early hype and all that.

giphy.gif

Alright I'm done, I don't care anymore.

MagnesG

Banned
You asked me a a question and you started talking about something else unrelated to the thread and what I posted.

giphy.gif

Alright I'm done, I don't care anymore.
I quote and talks only about what you've wrote: "a big fuck you to early adopters", my response: no you don't, early adopters are definitely not screwed because they bought it early + all the hype. Not sure what is that hard to understand but whatever.

Sorry for derailing off the thread.

Thank you guys for the replies, I have an interest in pixel art, so those titles get to the top of the pile. I was looking for general recommendations since I had missed a majority of the PS3/X360 era and barely caught the end of the Xbox One and PS4 era. Since there have been so many ports of older games, I wanted to get NeoGAF's take on what made it to the cream of the crop.
giphy.gif

cireza

Much more enjoyment when someone gets fucked ! But look at who is playing blurry games... Not sure who is getting fucked in the end.

Zannegan

Thank you guys for the replies, I have an interest in pixel art, so those titles get to the top of the pile. I was looking for general recommendations since I had missed a majority of the PS3/X360 era and barely caught the end of the Xbox One and PS4 era. Since there have been so many ports of older games, I wanted to get NeoGAF's take on what made it to the cream of the crop.
Pixel Art you say? Shouldn't find many bad ports with sprite graphics.

Have you played Dead Cells? I don't think the animations are anything special, but I like the environments and the character designs, and I just think it's a pretty great game all 'round. Someone already mentioned Hollow Knight. There's Golf Story, which is great. And... that's it as far as pixel art games that I'll unreservedly recommend go.

A lot of people like Axiom Verge, but it didn't click with me for whatever reason. I should give it another shot. Anyway, if you missed it on PS4, maybe consider it on Switch. Same goes for Ori on XB1.

Last edited:
Red Faction: Guerrilla is pretty good port if you ask me. Bit of an old game but the tech they use to break buildings down is really nice still to this day.

Last edited:

stranno

Broforce performs way better than Playstation 4 (even in boost mode), especially in the hell level.

Red Faction Guerrilla works better than Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 in Performance Mode. Quality Mode is quite a mess, but not as bad as Playstation 4 Pro tbh.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Dead Cells
Golf Story
Axiom Verge
Saints Row IV
Assault Android Cactus+
Hollow Knight.
dragon quest xi.
Dauntless.
Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest.
Doom 2016
Red Faction: Guerrilla

I got bored.

giphy.gif
PS3/Xbox 360 ports? Ehhh...there's not a HUGE list of those on the Switch
Current gen titles? Totally

The Messenger
Chasm
Hyper Light Drifter
Shovel Knight series (Most people would recommend this series, it's very well polished and the devs really cared for the game)
Iconoclasts
Super Meat Boy
Dark Siders

I could go on and on...

In case you wanted a list as well as maybe some reviews or info on the game

Top Bottom