• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland-GAF |OT| If the Swedes can do something, so can we!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

I love that your inferiority/little brother complex even extends to mentioning us in the thread title! *smug*

Kenka

I like Young Boys even though they can never keep a clean sheet.

Damn, I was thinking of you and bjaelke when I planted this flag in the banner.
Glad you like Young Boys! I am sorry they threw Midtjylland out, mate.

edit: loooool, 8bit ! Bite means dick in french so there was a second layer of wordplay when I read your post!

antipod

I'm eternally grateful for the swiss contribution to art!

220px-HR_Giger_2012.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
We cool, Switzerland. While a bit sluggish in adapting, you know, voting rights for women and all-round a bit backward-ish (can't be helped I guess with all the mountains and shit) you are pretty swell. I like your Canton system. I enjoyed working in Berner-Oberland as a teenager. Suprisingly good weed is easy to be had. Rösti with bratwurst is pretty good stuff. Rosenlaui is like Middle-Earth - the stuff dreams are made of. You even manage to make those German gurgling sounds sounds a little less like somebody's strangling a cat.

Arksy

I approve. Switzerland is like the model country for everyone who believes in a liberal democratic society. Citizens initiative, recall elections, states rights. You guys take what you have for granted. When the US founding fathers designed the constitution I'm pretty sure they were imagining a country like Switzerland is now. High rates of gun ownership but low gun crime, high levels of education and some of the wealthiest citizens per capita in the world.

Kenka

I'm eternally grateful for the swiss contribution to art!

220px-HR_Giger_2012.jpg
I actually sent his book to a Swedish (lol) colleague of mine in Järfälla:

http://books.google.ch/books/about/H_R_Giger_s_Necronomicon.html?id=5cw5yEXM7VMC&redir_esc=y

If any Bayern fan is reading this. You're fucking welcome.
I am a Bayern fan and, yes, I am thankful for The Shaq. He is being grand there.

Meetup thread incoming. I'll let you choose the dates at your convenience and we'll select the evening with the more members attending. Majority wins like in all Swiss processes.

antipod

Ha, you got tired of SWE-GAF for a moment and hang out in SWI-GAF ?

Nah, I just came to see what you were up to and while at it mention H.R. Giger as I saw he hadn't been mentioned before. Don't think everyone non-swiss knows he is swiss.

patapuf

What's up with all the swiss germanz, where are the romands!? (the frenchies)
Representing Luzern and Lausanne, currently in Geneva myself!

Didn't know there were so many neutrals around!

hehe i'm both, mother from chur and father from fribourg

I approve. Switzerland is like the model country for everyone who believes in a liberal democratic society. Citizens initiative, recall elections, states rights. You guys take what you have for granted. When the US founding fathers designed the constitution I'm pretty sure they were imagining a country like Switzerland is now. High rates of gun ownership but low gun crime, high levels of education and some of the wealthiest citizens per capita in the world.

we are (sometimes a bit too) proud of our democratic system. However i'm pretty sure our original consitution copied a good part from the US one :p

Which Pharma company was that for? :p

Basel is a good place to have as a home, as you can get quite far into France & Germany in a short time as well as the rest of Switzerland.

We were visiting my wife's cousin while enroute to Oktoberfest. I didn't realize that Basel was a pharma-centric city. I just really loved the area, although I think uprooting my family to move there is not going to work out.

8bit

Knows the Score
We were visiting my wife's cousin while enroute to Oktoberfest. I didn't realize that Basel was a pharma-centric city. I just really loved the area, although I think uprooting my family to move there is not going to work out.

My apologies, I just assumed it was Pharma related as there is a constant influx of US folk to here on work placement and IIRC Chicago has quite a few Pharma companies too.

Arksy

we are (sometimes a bit too) proud of our democratic system. However i'm pretty sure our original consitution copied a good part from the US one :p

Oh yeah. Theirs was first but yours is working as intended. :p

You guys have A LOT to be proud about. Being able to initiate a referendum on any issue you wish is a pretty damn powerful tool for making sure that the state doesn't overstep their powers and put in legislation that nobody wants.

Even our system isn't perfect, see the minaret controversy.

No system is, but it's easily one of the best.

Kenka

Would Swiss-GAF be nice enough to propose some dates for the meetup?

To me, any weekend is basically ok between Sep, 29th to Oct, 27th. If you have a proposal, please submit it in this thread.

Kenka

I just throw an example of how I feel the banner for the meetup thread !

objVq.jpg

(date is just fill-up, it's not indicative)

Yes, I am in a picture retouching mood.

I don't know how much time should be given before the decision falls. Let's say, we collect votes up to Friday midnight. I hope in between we will have had a date at which 10+ people can attend.

I am all ears, thanks in advance to all participants !

linewelles.jpg

“In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Checking in for Swiss
immigrant
GAF.

Checking in for Swiss EMMIGRANT GAF. Ha! What now!

Seriously, I've only met 1 other swiss resident (and not tourist/language/exchange student) here in Vancouver :(

pfft damn immigrants. looks like i'm the only real swiss here.

Define "real", but everyone up my family tree including my grand-grand-grandparents is swiss, not sure you can get much "more swiss" than that.

Define "real", but everyone up my family tree including my grand-grand-grandparents is swiss, not sure you can get much "more swiss" than that.

i was obviously joking. i don't care who you are or what pass you have as long as you call switzerland your home you are swiss to me.

YEEEEE SWISS GAF!!!

Ticino represent.

i'm a bit jealous. i need to learn italian and move there, f'n locarno is beatiful.

Kenka

The banking issues are pretty important to them, they must be able to have a word about it.

Since we are increasingly dependent on the outcomes of events abroad (US fiscal attacks, EU wanting money from us as well as other privileges), it is normal for them to aslo be part of the democratic system.

Smiley90

The banking issues are pretty important to them, they must be able to have a word about it.

Since we are increasingly dependent on the outcomes of events abroad (US fiscal attacks, EU wanting money from us as well as other privileges), it is normal for them to aslo be part of the democratic system.

It's not just that, I lived in Switzerland for the first 19 years of my life and only recently moved, I have quite strong ties to home (I was a member of my local GLP, after all). Also, all my family lives there, I moved away by myself. And maybe I want to return at some point, so I kind of still want to participate in what's happening back home. I can vote for all federal elections, just not cantonal ones (since I technically don't live in any canton anymore and can't vote for delegates/elected representatives).

I just get snail mail every few month with voting stuff that I have to send back to Switzerland by snail mail, but it's a) annoying and b) fairly expensive.

The next Volksabstimmungen on schedule are "Sicheres Wohnen im Alter", "Schutz vor Passivrauchen" and the "Bundesbeschluss über die Jugendmusikförderung". As I said, nothing really that important for people living abroad.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not saying these votings shouldn't interest you, they're just not worth losing sleep over. Imo of course ;)

Smiley90

The next Volksabstimmungen on schedule are "Sicheres Wohnen im Alter", "Schutz vor Passivrauchen" and the "Bundesbeschluss über die Jugendmusikförderung". As I said, nothing really that important for people living abroad.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not saying these votings shouldn't interest you, they're just not worth losing sleep over. Imo of course ;)

I'm just saying, I might want to come back at some point, so... stuff like passive smoking DOES kind of impact me, IF i were to come back. or, save living for old people? If I want to retire, that might impact me too.

aeroslash

I've just come to say i love switzerland! I've been there 3 or 4 times, and i just simply love the Alps. I've skyed in saas-fee, felt in love with Zermatt and one day i plan on climb the matterhorn. Great great country

Kenka

Hello/
Hallo/
Salut/
Buongiorno/
Allegra CH-GAF,

For our first official meeting, I'd recommend some locations where our scattered around, pluricultural, group would meet. For transports and convenience reasons, three locations stood out at first sight, Bern, Lucerne and Zurich.
  • Berne is closer to the Romands
  • Lucerne is adequate for Ticino-GAF
  • Zurich contains, I guess, the biggest community of gaffers around

Berne is notorious for its delicacy food and ultra-clean restaurants. Some of them are expensive but I think we would all settle for a moderately inexpensive place. All in all, my choice would be the Restaurant Harmonie in the Old Town:

prev23.jpg

Fondue for two people is 40.- on average. A bit pricy but there are cheaper options. "Regular" meals are around 25.-. Prepare around 50 CHF for all the whistles and bells.
Also, I have nothing against the like of Pizza Hut/Mc Donald's, so just let the community know what is your inclination, it's your event !

Lucerne is a tourist trap (a very good one) and it is kinda tricky to find something accomodating for all budgets. My choice is a pizzeria adjoined to a hotel in the city centre for which you can find very positive reviews. I've never been there though. Suggestions are welcome. That should cost the average gaffer around 40 CHF.

ristorante-pizzeria-zum.jpg

Zurich is the trickiest. There are just so many options. Why not try something I assume most of GAF is not too familiar with, a lebanese restaurant which offers menus for up to 8 people ? You can get discount prices on their website for susbtantial price pwnage. Average price: between 40 and 50 CHF

image_01_b.jpg

I hope you appreciate the idea. Feel free to post any remark/question/suggestion.
The choice of the date is yours too. Nothing is on the way if you wanna party later on, also.

You should all come to Ticino next weekend, since it's grape harvest time, we have the sagra dell'uva going on.

What else could we be doing over here beside drinking wine? xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom