• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland-GAF |OT| If the Swedes can do something, so can we!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarosh

Btw: Swiss German has an Akkusativ, it just looks like the Nominativ. #shootingback

Prove it :p
I'm actually just waiting for you to quote Wikipedia.

But gladly/sadly there are no agreed upon orthography rules for Swiss German. So I'm free to disagree. And personal pronouns definitely do not make a grammatical case, as far as I'm concerned.

*quotes Wik-*

"Er hett de Salat gässe" and "De Salat isch grusig gsi" don't have the same function. There are some cases in German where it's similar, like "Die Tür" (or "Die Türe", whatever), where Nominativ and Akkusativ look the same. Just my opinion.

come to the meetup so we can fight over it

jarosh

*quotes Wik-*

"Er hett de Salat gässe" and "De Salat isch grusig gsi" don't have the same function. There are some cases in German where it's similar, like "Die Tür" (or "Die Türe", whatever), where Nominativ and Akkusativ look the same. Just my opinion.

come to the meetup so we can fight over it

Well, if we're going by function then you might as well call any Genetiv that can be replaced with a Dativ a Dativ, since marking for case would be irrelevant. Or take English, where grammatical cases don't really matter anymore for language study, but taking function into account (versus words marked for case) you could certainly make a case (pun lol) for every single grammatical case as it is used in the German language today, even ones that were never actually in use. Technically, you could apply all the grammatical cases from the many Germanic or even Indo-European languages interchangably, regardless of whether this has any visible or audible morphological implications or not. It just becomes a matter of classification, since you can find examples of practically any case in any (Germanic) language.

Kenka

In Swiss German there simply is no other way. You would always say "Dä Hund vom Gärtner". Again, we don't have a Genitiv.

However, "Die Kirche von Lenzburg" is of course correct either way. That's the Genitiv. You can't accidentally build a Dativ since Lenzburg is a place and doesn't require an article in the first place, just a preposition (Dativ "vom" is a construct of "von" [<- preposition] and "dem" [<- article]!).

compare:

"Die Kirche von Lenzburg"
"Die Kirche des Mannes" <- Here you can see the Genitiv clearly, I used a masculine noun on purpose, but you could still make the mistake of using the Dativ:
"Die Kirche vom Mann" <- bad

note: Colloquially using the Dativ instead of the Genitiv is usually not a problem if you're speaking German. Hell, a lot of Germans do it. But it's often a sign of, uh, less educated people and is heard more often in rural regions.
As simple as that? I've been lied to since I am 9! [vadornooooooo.png]
I didn't know about the social interpretation made by using one or the other form. Oh well, nice explanation jarosh.

Well, if we're going by function then you might as well call any Genetiv that can be replaced with a Dativ a Dativ, since marking for case would be irrelevant. Or take English, where grammatical cases don't really matter anymore for language study, but taking function into account (versus words marked for case) you could certainly make a case (pun lol) for every single grammatical case as it is used in the German language today, even ones that were never actually in use. Technically, you could apply all the grammatical cases from the many Germanic or even Indo-European languages interchangably, regardless of whether this has any visible or audible morphological implications or not. It just becomes a matter of classification, since you can find examples of practically any case in any (Germanic) language.

Now we're talking morphological cases vs. abstract cases/thematic roles :)

I'm not really replacing anything though, I just don't think that the morphological distinction is that important when talking cases. In your example (replacing the Genitiv with a Dativ) you'd still need a contraction to make a full sentence whereas the Akkusativ (if you acknowledge its existance in Swiss German) just looks the same as the Nominativ. It's used in the same way as it's used in regular German after all, the Genitiv on the other hand isn't.

But I agree, it depends on how you want to classify it, I'm just taking a more liberal approach I guess.

Btw: did you study something language related or are you just generally interested in language?

Kenka

This discussion reminds of my friend in Vevey who is able to carefully explain for two hours in front of a bemused crowed how and why Latvian is so close to sanskrit. He then jumps to explaining how Vilnius' population was made for one third of Jews at one point of its history. Then, he tells with a very straight face how bisexual guys who only sleep with guys "for fun" are generally confronted with a denial of any burgeoning feeling for a fellow man if they start falling in love. All in one tirade while casually sipping his mango leaf tea.

Kenka

We have the GAF meeting in two weeks. I'll update the meetup thread now.

edit: next weekend, there is a VG-related event in Zurich? I wouldn't mind showing up! Send me please a link.

I love this county, I was in Schweiz for 3 weeks in summer at my brothers house in Richterswil, and i'm planning to go there again just after new year! If it's still a blast i might move there permanent! And yeah I'm from sweden=)

Foshy

Prices are correct and the programme is quite big! But I didn't mention of the Wii U, sadly. I might contact Waldmeier to see if they think of presenting anything.
I've read somewhere that the Wii U won't be playable, unfortunately :/

Kenka

I love this county, I was in Schweiz for 3 weeks in summer at my brothers house in Richterswil, and i'm planning to go there again just after new year! If it's still a blast i might move there permanent! And yeah I'm from sweden=)
Is there some kind of strange magnetism linking both countries after all? Might explain why nobody gets that we're each a country in its own. Richterswil ---> &#10085;&#10085;&#10085;

8bit

Knows the Score
Do Waldmeier have compromising photos of Miyamoto or something? I'm surprised they've still got the license in Switzerland.

no Wii U is depressing. I'd have gone for sure but I'm only interested in Hitman and Sonic Racing. Weak showing tbh, they couldn't even get Assassin's Creed III or FarCry 3? c'mon.

Kenka

Diprosalic, if you know anything please tell me. Otherwise....
I'll go to Egerkingen to ask them myself :p

Diprosalic, if you know anything please tell me. Otherwise....
I'll go to Egerkingen to ask them myself :p

there won't be any wii-u on the nintendo stand and it won't be because of lack of trying. i can assure you that. if ubisoft or other 3rd parties get one, i don't know, but i doubt it.

Nintendo is moving their headquarters to Zürich so they don't have time to attend Suisse Toy.

That must be it.

*writes application*

I've worked at so many shitty places, hell, I'm working at a shitty place right now (hospital), I doubt Nintendo could be any shittier.

Kenka

You'd be dearly needed actually, whatever your qualifications, you can only do good:

08Ha5.png

&#55357;&#56397;

Not really interested in doing an internship (can't waste more time outside of university).

Which is tragic because I'm sick as hell and sitting in the shittiest lecture ever, Literaturtheorie der Gegenwart.

Kenka

OK, I called Waldmeier to clarify the Wii U stuff this weekend in the Suisse Toy.
The answer: UbiSoft planned on showing off some stuff on a real Wii U but their unit is broken. Can U believe that.

To compensate, they are building a cinema-like emplacement to show a trailer of launch titles in HD. Didn't bother to ask if the video was in 1080p or 720p or if the trailer was new. Hopefully, Ubi will get their shit together and let us have real hands-on with ZombiU and Rayman among others. Oh, Waldmeier's excuse as to why they haven't provided any unit themselves? The demand is too big in Europe and actual hands on will not happen until three weeks before launch. Yes, one bloody month before we get a taste of the Wii U in Switzerland. That's pathetic.

Foshy and I will be on place. Personally, I'll be there on Sunday morning. Anybody interested can join. I'll post hands-on videos if situation is optimal.

OK, I called Waldmeier to clarify the Wii U stuff this weekend in the Suisse Toy.
The answer: UbiSoft planned on showing off some stuff on a real Wii U but their unit is broken. Can U believe that.

To compensate, they are building a cinema-like emplacement to show a trailer of launch titles in HD. Didn't bother to ask if the video was in 1080p or 720p or if the trailer was new. Hopefully, Ubi will get their shit together and let us have real hands-on with ZombiU and Rayman among others. Oh, Waldmeier's excuse as to why they haven't provided any unit themselves? The demand is too big in Europe and actual hands on will not happen until three weeks before launch. Yes, one bloody month before we get a taste of the Wii U in Switzerland. That's pathetic.

Foshy and I will be on place. Personally, I'll be there on Sunday morning. Anybody interested can join. I'll post hands-on videos if situation is optimal.

I'm already working on a "Nintendo sending out faulty Wii U's to developers" thread.

I probably can't make it this weekend, I'd love to though. Hmm.. might ask a friend to go by car. I'll PM you if I can work out something.

Nintendo finally joined the next gen master race with faulty launch hardware, congratulations!1

Kenka

Nintendo finally joined the next gen master race with faulty launch hardware and overpriced DLC, congratulations!1

Fixed.

I stumbled upon an interesting three-way conversation held in Berne between a journalist, a member of the German Freedom Party and Oskar Freysinger which was aired last year. The starting point of the convo (parallels between the SVP actions in Switzerland and the GFP ideology in Germany) rapidly expands into the views of both political men about the way they see the environment of both their countries (the context of being part or not being part of Europe, immigration, constitutions, evolutions of ideas, pragmatism and such). It is the first time I see political dudes expressing their thoughts so freely, and have the feeling at the same time that they actually are actually conveying their honest views on sensitive topics (how about leaving Europe, GFP?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKt0RU4o5E

Why don't you believe me? :p. You can trust me on that stuff.

Kenka

But you didn't spill all the beans! :p
Also, I kinda know von Allmen and Gerber, they were very friendly in the past. Are you in touch with the technical team at Nintendo/Ubi?

But you didn't spill all the beans! :p
Also, I kinda know von Allmen and Gerber, they were very friendly in the past. Are you in touch with the technical team at Nintendo/Ubi?

Gerber is long gone :).

Technical team? I can write you a pm as soon as the wii u arrives at the suisse toy or not if you wan't though.

Kenka

Gerber is long gone :).

Technical team? I can write you a pm as soon as the wii u arrives at the suisse toy or not if you wan't though.
Yes please.

picture.php

Would add value to the (already scheduled) visit. Thanks a ton! I hope the Wii U and I will meet face to face on Oct, 6th.

Ok, abybody itt English teacher at Gymnasium level? Italian/French/Spanish teacher would be fine as well.

As the guys who showed up at the meet-up already know, I'm studying to be an English teacher in the future so I'll need the Lehrdiplom eventually. The biggest issue here is that I have to spend at least 10 months in an English-speaking country. I talked to Kenka a bit and I'll go to our foreign studies instructor at Uni Zürich but I'd love to hear about people's experiences and what my options are.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ok, abybody itt English teacher at Gymnasium level? Italian/French/Spanish teacher would be fine as well.

As the guys who showed up at the meet-up already know, I'm studying to be an English teacher in the future so I'll need the Lehrdiplom eventually. The biggest issue here is that I have to spend at least 10 months in an English-speaking country. I talked to Kenka a bit and I'll go to our foreign studies instructor at Uni Zürich but I'd love to hear about people's experiences and what my options are.

You know where you have to go dude, why is this even a question.

Victarion

You're Persian? There was a controversy because our president went to yours with a scarf on her head, lol.

And you probably recognize the man on my avatar.

Yup, can't remember when that happened. lol

And yeah I recognized him, made me sad :( How do you know him though?

Kenka

May sound complex but I love Hedjazi. To me, he is the Stallone of football.

The man walks around at 50 with a '94 World Cup Germany shirt on the back? That's badass. And he used to be an excellent shot stopper in his hey days. Too bad his performances flew under the radar due to lack of coverage of the Asian football in the 70's and 80's.

Regarding our ties with Iran, the situation is actually excellent (!) We do also represent the interests of the US in the region and while on their side, it has been a massive mess since the 50's, we always kept good a relation with our good o' Iranian bro'hs. After all, we both are materialistic, sophisticated, Lutherian/Shia rebels in complete disagreement with our surroundings. The pictures in the banner were taken in 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSokAHjJ2A

I also heard that Swiss people are fairly appreciated in Iran, and that there is a high-level of trust when it comes to business between the two lands. I also happen to have heard that some Swiss parliament members actively helped Marc Rich in clandestinely bringing oil out of Iran during the embargo. This is all speculation but it wouldn't suprise me one bit. After all, Marc Rich established his multi-billion company in Zug and never got arrested.

edit: and "glorious", wut. OK, he has the balls to criticize the powerful openly but does he shower :)

Victarion

I know that feel bro, almost everyone love Hejazi in Iran, he was the best goal keeper Iran has seen to date. But never knew someone from Swiss might like him too. lol

Oh and that 'glorious' was meant as sarcasm, I don't like anything about Iran's government.

Majmun

A friend of mine wants to live in Switserland. He's currently there for orientation. But he has trouble finding work there. He can speak German, but can't write it well yet. He stilll needs to work on his grammar. His English and Dutch are perfect, though.

Is it hard to find work there if you haven't mastered the german language yet? Do you guys have any tips I can help him with? He studied accountancy and worked in the administration field. But he's willing to do anything until he has mastered the German language.

Thanks.

8bit

Knows the Score
A friend of mine wants to live in Switserland. He's currently there for orientation. But he has trouble finding work there. He can speak German, but can't write it well yet. He stilll needs to work on his grammar. His English and Dutch are perfect, though.

Is it hard to find work there if you haven't mastered the german language yet? Do you guys have any tips I can help him with? He studied accountancy and worked in the administration field. But he's willing to do anything until he has mastered the German language.

Thanks.

Depends where he is. There is likely work in Basel, Zürich, Geneva or Bern though.

http://www.indeed.ch/Stellen?q=accountant&l=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom