• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

soultron

Banned
I can't get over how gorgeous the HUD is. It displays so much functional information and is amazing from an organizational standpoint.

UI designers should relentlessly and unashamedly copy the design philosophy found within Syndicate's HUD. It's good shit.

Even if it doesn't do great on sales, which is a curse for my favorite games
(Rayman Origins, Darkness 1+2, Alan Wake, Mirror's Edge, BG&E, Psychoanuts, Neverhood)
, I'll be playing the shit out of SP and then co-op with you guys throughout the year.

This will be the 2nd (got Darkness 2) out of 3 shooters I'll buy this year if Spec Ops turns out to be great.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
I'm super stoked for this game, hopefully it holds my interest more than Amalur though. I'm a little worried that the emphasis that this is a 4 player co-op game will mean that the Single player is garbage. I'm putting my faith in you starbreeze riddick was one of my favorite games of last gen lets see if they can do it again.

Xbox GT: Mrninjaman

iavi

I can't get over how gorgeous the HUD is. It displays so much functional information and is amazing from an organizational standpoint.

UI designers should relentlessly and unashamedly copy the design philosophy found within Syndicate's HUD. It's good shit.

From the impressions thread, the HUD was the most common complaint about the game. Seems to be pretty polarizing. I love it, personally. They mentioned that they wanted players to know exactly what was happening, regardless of oral communication, and I think it nailed the intent perfectly. It actually makes for smooth games with randoms, which is rare.

I'm super stoked for this game, hopefully it holds my interest more than Amalur though. I'm a little worried that the emphasis that this is a 4 player co-op game will mean that the Single player is garbage. I'm putting my faith in you starbreeze riddick was one of my favorite games of last gen lets see if they can do it again.

Xbox GT: Mrninjaman
Actually, before the demo, all the emphasis was on the single-player. Most people thought the co-op would be tacked on because previous multiplayer offerings in Starbreeze games have been of the sort.

The SP will be 10-12 hours long, or at least longer than a typical modern FPS according to the senior level designer in OP.

Even if it doesn't do great on sales, which is a curse for my favorite games
(Rayman Origins, Darkness 1+2, Alan Wake, Mirror's Edge, BG&E, Psychoanuts, Neverhood)
, I'll be playing the shit out of SP and then co-op with you guys throughout the year.

This will be the 2nd (got Darkness 2) out of 3 shooters I'll buy this year if Spec Ops turns out to be great.

Hate to break it to you,
but it was announced a while back (saw this in the Alan Wake's American Nightmare thread a couple of months ago) that Alan Wake ended up selling over 1.2 million units. I thought The Darkness had hit over 1 million also.

Actually, before the demo, all the emphasis was on the single-player. Most people thought the co-op would be tacked on because previous multiplayer offerings in Starbreeze games have been of the sort.

The SP will be 10-12 hours long, or at least longer than a typical modern FPS according to the senior level designer in OP.

Really?! I was worried that it was only going to last ~5 hours. That's a relief.

Glad to see i'm not alone. I think the hud is fantastic once you understand it

Dead

well not really...yet

The OP quoting the Lead designer as saying he's sure players can beat it in under 6 hours doesnt fill me with hope that the campaign is 10-12 hours...

I'll leave this here. It's all the different apps (abilities) that should be available to choose from in co-op and their upgrades. The numbers are from the descriptions in the demo so it's possible that they are slightly different in the final game. EMP sounds very useful to me, especially if it can take down armor later on.

Backfire
Damages the targeted enemy and knocks him back.

Upgrades:
1. +25 % damage increase.
2. +25 % damage increase.
3. +50 % damage increase.
4. 1 additional enemy is hit by the backfire.

Damage Link
Gives a temporary damage buff to all team members weapons.

Upgrades:
1. Longer duration of the buff.
2. +5 % damage increase.
3. +10 % damage increase.
4. Fills up the DART-vision energy bar for the whole team.

Shielding
Gives all team members a temporary shield which blocks some damage.

Upgrades:
1. 10 % stronger shield.
2. 15 % stronger shield.
3. 25 % stronger shield.
4. When the shield depletes it triggers a short range EMP-pulse which hits nearby enemies.

Squad Heal
Heals the whole team when triggered. Unlocked by finishing the Western Europe mission.

Upgrades:
1. Heals 20 % more.
2. Heals 30 % more.
3. Removes and blocks all stun effects on team members during a short time.
4. Initiation time decreased by 50 %.

Focus Breach
All breaching will go faster for the next 5 seconds. Unlocked by finishing the China mission.

Upgrades:
1. Time increased to 10 seconds.
2. 10 % more effective
3. 15 % more effective.
4. All team members get 10 % faster breaching when active.

EMP
Fires off an EMP-pulse which de-cloaks Spectres, detonates backpacks and stuns enemies. The pulse can also temporarily shutdown turrets and disable grenades and rockets. Unlocked by finishing the Mozambique mission.

Upgrades:
1. 40 % damage increase, duration increased by 2 seconds.
2. 60 % damage increase, duration increased by 2 seconds.
3. 30 % range increase of the EMP-pulse.
4. Shuts down liquid and reactive armor.

Virus
The enemy that is hit by the virus takes damage over time, works through armor. Unlocked by finishing the Scandinavia mission.

Upgrades:
1. 10 % damage increase.
2. Enemies take damage quicker from the virus.
3. 15 % damage increase.
4. The virus can spread to two additional enemies.

C2C Pulse
Sets up a healing field around the player, which heals all nearby team members.Each pulse also shortens the reboot time for downed team members which are in range. Unlocked by finishing the Atlantic Accelerator mission.

Upgrades:
1. + 15 % healing per pulse.
2. Range of healing field increased by 30 %.
3. Frequency of healing pulses increased by 25 %.
4. Gives a direct heal to the entire team when triggered.

E-drain
Does direct damage to one enemy and you receive 50 % of the damage as health. Unlocked by finishing the Colorado mission.

Upgrades:
1. 35 % damage increase.
2. 15 % more energy absorbed as health.
3. 25 % more energy absorbed as health.
4. 10 % of the damage dealt is spread to each team member as health.

Reboot
Reboots yourself at 50 % health after you've been downed. Unlocked by finishing the New England mission.

Upgrades:
1. 20 % more health after rebooting yourself.
2. 30 % more health after rebooting yourself.
3. Start with all apps 50 % charged after the reboot.
4. Gives a shield for 5 seconds after the reboot.

Battery
Recharges all the apps for all team members by 50 %. Unlocked by finishing the Northern Territories mission.

Upgrades:
1. +10 % recharged.
2. +15 % recharged.
3. +20 % recharged.
4. DART-vision energy bar filled up for entire team.

Focus Target
Highlights an enemy outside of DART-vision that will be visible to all team members. All breaches on the highlighted enemy are 10 % faster. Unlocked by finishing the Argentina mission.

Upgrades:
1. Longer duration of the highlight.
2. 10 % more damage to the highlighted enemy.
3. 15 % more damage to the highlighted enemy.
4. Slows down the highlighted enemy by 30 %.

FrontierUk, you can put a link to this post in the OP if you want.

this game is coming out soon... and I feel like not many people know about it's release!

do the people that do know care? I have a feeling it won't sell well. Serious post, not trolling, because I really care about the dev! :(

Well at least it looks better than Deus Ex visually... still, this isnt syndicate to me. Looks like a decent fps, but not syndicate. What I mean by that is that an update of a classic game series might usually increase my hype, but with this it adds nothing. The connection is tenuous at best. Ill keep my eyes on the game as a standalone

I'll leave this here. It's all the different apps (abilities) that should be available to choose from in co-op and their upgrades. The numbers are from the descriptions in the demo so it's possible that they are slightly different in the final game. EMP sounds very useful to me, especially if it can take down armor later on.

Backfire
Damages the targeted enemy and knocks him back.

Upgrades:
1. +25 % damage increase.
2. +25 % damage increase.
3. +50 % damage increase.
4. 1 additional enemy is hit by the backfire.

Damage Link
Gives a temporary damage buff to all team members weapons.

Upgrades:
1. Longer duration of the buff.
2. +5 % damage increase.
3. +10 % damage increase.
4. Fills up the DART-vision energy bar for the whole team.

Shielding
Gives all team members a temporary shield which blocks some damage.

Upgrades:
1. 10 % stronger shield.
2. 15 % stronger shield.
3. 25 % stronger shield.
4. When the shield depletes it triggers a short range EMP-pulse which hits nearby enemies.

Squad Heal
Heals the whole team when triggered. Unlocked by finishing the Western Europe mission.

Upgrades:
1. Heals 20 % more.
2. Heals 30 % more.
3. Removes and blocks all stun effects on team members during a short time.
4. Initiation time decreased by 50 %.

Focus Breach
All breaching will go faster for the next 5 seconds. Unlocked by finishing the China mission.

Upgrades:
1. Time increased to 10 seconds.
2. 10 % more effective
3. 15 % more effective.
4. All team members get 10 % faster breaching when active.

EMP
Fires off an EMP-pulse which de-cloaks Spectres, detonates backpacks and stuns enemies. The pulse can also temporarily shutdown turrets and disable grenades and rockets. Unlocked by finishing the Mozambique mission.

Upgrades:
1. 40 % damage increase, duration increased by 2 seconds.
2. 60 % damage increase, duration increased by 2 seconds.
3. 30 % range increase of the EMP-pulse.
4. Shuts down liquid and reactive armor.

Virus
The enemy that is hit by the virus takes damage over time, works through armor. Unlocked by finishing the Scandinavia mission.

Upgrades:
1. 10 % damage increase.
2. Enemies take damage quicker from the virus.
3. 15 % damage increase.
4. The virus can spread to two additional enemies.

C2C Pulse
Sets up a healing field around the player, which heals all nearby team members.Each pulse also shortens the reboot time for downed team members which are in range. Unlocked by finishing the Atlantic Accelerator mission.

Upgrades:
1. + 15 % healing per pulse.
2. Range of healing field increased by 30 %.
3. Frequency of healing pulses increased by 25 %.
4. Gives a direct heal to the entire team when triggered.

E-drain
Does direct damage to one enemy and you receive 50 % of the damage as health. Unlocked by finishing the Colorado mission.

Upgrades:
1. 35 % damage increase.
2. 15 % more energy absorbed as health.
3. 25 % more energy absorbed as health.
4. 10 % of the damage dealt is spread to each team member as health.

Reboot
Reboots yourself at 50 % health after you've been downed. Unlocked by finishing the New England mission.

Upgrades:
1. 20 % more health after rebooting yourself.
2. 30 % more health after rebooting yourself.
3. Start with all apps 50 % charged after the reboot.
4. Gives a shield for 5 seconds after the reboot.

Battery
Recharges all the apps for all team members by 50 %. Unlocked by finishing the Northern Territories mission.

Upgrades:
1. +10 % recharged.
2. +15 % recharged.
3. +20 % recharged.
4. DART-vision energy bar filled up for entire team.

Focus Target
Highlights an enemy outside of DART-vision that will be visible to all team members. All breaches on the highlighted enemy are 10 % faster. Unlocked by finishing the Argentina mission.

Upgrades:
1. Longer duration of the highlight.
2. 10 % more damage to the highlighted enemy.
3. 15 % more damage to the highlighted enemy.
4. Slows down the highlighted enemy by 30 %.

FrontierUk, you can put a link to this post in the OP if you want.

SOOOOO EXCITED

Still waiting to see how the SP pans out but I LOVE THE COOP!!!! (^____^)

Jackson

For me the demo was pretty bad. Any hype I had for this game was killed with it.

The art had some slick cues though.

It must suck ass to be an austrailian gamer.
Yes, but the ridiculously outdated ratings system is only one of the problems. At least they're finally fixing the ratings system, but unfortunately the bureaucracy involved means that it'll be a while before the new system is in place. The issue of ridiculous local game prices still exists; it's basically HALF the price to buy a game from the UK and have it shipped to Australia via airmail than it is to buy it locally.

Thankfully, where governments have failed, syndicates have taken over: there are dedicated sites like ozgameshop.com, which is a UK company (365games) which has identified a lucrative untapped market and started selling directly to Aussies by quoting in Australian dollars and offering free shipping to Australia :)

Aussie PS3 owners can buy Syndicate from the UK taking advantage of the fact that PS3 games are region free. The only tricky thing will be buying DLC off foreign PSN Stores since the Aussie PSN Store obviously won't be selling the DLC for a game which was never officially on sale in Australia. I'm not sure if it's that simple for 360 owners but hopefully it is.

The OP quoting the Lead designer as saying he's sure players can beat it in under 6 hours doesnt fill me with hope that the campaign is 10-12 hours...
He never gave an exact figure for SP, just said it wasn't a typical 4-5 hour game. He worked on the co-op. He said co-op takes 10-15 hours, and to max it out 40-50 hours.

I haven't heard anything about review code or embargoes as of yet. Although I'm still very much small fry when it comes to the press world.

I think it's tough to say. By the nature of the story, the context of being a literal tool of megacorps (thanks to the DART chip) means a silent protag would work, but I have a funny feeling that it will be a tale of rebellion. I really feel that most of the narrative "voice" will be coming from Rosario Dawson's character, however.

Starbreeze said in a interview to Giantbomb that yes, it's a rebellion tale.

x-Lundz-x

a little worried no early reviews yet...I know that has happened a lot lately, but with preorders so low on this game, if the reviews were going to be ok I think they would have let a few out...I am afraid the sp is going to get blasted...

still....three of us are buying it off the coop demo alone...

I feel the same way, however the Demo turned it into a purchase as you stated. The gunplay feels really great and the game looks awesome. For only 40 bucks net from Amazon a (hopefully) 8+ hour SP campaign and the amazing Co-op works for me.

frontieruk

Man what were they thinking with dat hud.

Haven't played the demo yet... is it as intrusive as it looks?

Most distracting thing is the guns, they take up a lot of screen space imho, and the iron sights leave a lot to be desired, I find the HUD doesn't distract as much as provide info about the team without having to look away from what you were doing.

Drewfonse

Yeah I've edited to correct the quote.

The dev quote regarding SP game length in the OP made no sense before, and unfortunately makes even less sense now. He can complete MW3 in 6 hrs, but is worried that he'll get in trouble for saying that? Was that what you meant to write?

Kem0sabe

Go find me a nice bg image from the games design team with more and I'll update it ;)

lens-flare-fundo-abstrato-cor-multi_21275942.jpg

Every time i see a screenshot from the game it just translates as the above. :)

On a more serious note. I heard great things of the coop.

foxdvd

I feel the same way, however the Demo turned it into a purchase as you stated. The gunplay feels really great and the game looks awesome. For only 40 bucks net from Amazon a (hopefully) 8+ hour SP campaign and the amazing Co-op works for me.

I am sure the game will be great. If I can enjoy Daggerdale and Madballs, I am sure this one will be ok.

ced

This is a little irritating there are no reviews and very little press on it.

Are we expecting a SP game ala Deus Ex or is it just action with some abilities and will be a short SP game?

Edit:

Ok so I see a quote in the OP about game length.

I guess my question should be asked if this is a shooter/rpg like Deus Ex or just a shooter with some abilities thrown in.

pakkit

Banned
It's a shooter with abilities, however story is always an important part with Starbreeze games, so I expect their presentation and narrative flow to top that of DE:HR.

ced

It's a shooter with abilities, however story is always an important part with Starbreeze games, so I expect their presentation and narrative flow to top that of DE:HR.

Ok, so it doesn't really have open city hubs with quests, just more linear missions or levels?

frontieruk

Ok, so it doesn't really have open city hubs with quests, just more linear missions or levels?

I'd say it's linear, though for the co-op apparently they took the orginal top down maps and based the levels on those.

The lack of early reviews worries me a little, but I think it will be more than worth my money.

I'm not so bothered by lack of reviews, it's the general lack of any real info that's bugging me, it's like EA blew their advertising budget on ME3 forgetting Syndicate was due out.

this game is coming out soon... and I feel like not many people know about it's release!

do the people that do know care? I have a feeling it won't sell well. Serious post, not trolling, because I really care about the dev! :(

I mentioned this before but it could be because it feels like the game was just recently revealed and now all of a sudden it's out. The hype and anticipation leading up to these big releases wasn't there because it wasn't given enough time to muster.

frontieruk

Looks good, now if you could put the weapon occupying 80% of the image, that would be perfect :D

bannerlol1.png

that better?

as to the HUD it's no more crowded that a Fighter Jet sim with all it's missile locks etc so I think it's a reasonable assumption that's how data is going to be perceived in the future... mabbe

bannerlol1.png

that better?

Haha that's great. I'm looking forward to some more time with the minigun, love how it totally rips the enemies apart if you get up close to them in the demo.

Btw, I saw Jeff Gerstmann tweeting now that he had gotten Syndicate, so review copies finally seem to have gone out.

frontieruk

Haha that's great. I'm looking forward to some more time with the minigun, love how it totally rips the enemies apart if you get up close to them in the demo.

Btw, I saw Jeff Gerstmann tweeting now that he had gotten Syndicate, so review copies finally seem to have gone out.

Should hope so lol, I'm off to see if I can join Messofanego for so co-op on LIVE
*bugger missed him

Top Bottom