• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 Confirmed for GOG Release! Out Now! (Via RPS)

vocab

Challenge accepted. I have not played System Shock 2 (always wanted to) but Bioshock is one of my all time favorites. I just hope it aged well.

Depends on your definition of aged. I just tried the SS2 2.4 Demo, and SS2 in 1080P looks great. It doesn't have the reflection surfaces of Deus Ex, but it looks sharp.

codecow

I am happy to get this running on Win 7 without horsing around. I have an original boxed copy in my office but it's a pain to get everything working last I remember (and that was on XP).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I am happy to get this running on Win 7 without horsing around. I have an original boxed copy in my office but it's a pain to get everything working last I remember (and that was on XP).

A fan fix came out late last year that gets it running flawless on win 7. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrows release is just using this fix.

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's the running tally so far for mods again:

System Shock 2.4 - High-res/widescreen support, tons of bugs fixes and other improvements, see link
SS2 SHTUP (Shock Texture Update Project) - What it sounds like, faithful to original textures, lots of comparisons included in link (just scroll down), see for yourself.
SS2 Schatten SHMUP (Shock Music Update) - Faithful recreation of music using higher quality version of soundtrack (in cases where original music arrangements were not present in soundtrack, original is left untouched).
SS2 Modmanager - Good if you want to start trying other mods (like Rebirth and so on).

Windows 8 is included in the list of supported systems ("Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8").

Thank you kind sir!

I'm hyped, never played this game, but Thief gold probably still is my favorite game of all time, so it's right up my alley.

I just copied my SS2 disc (without installing) directly to a folder in my C drive.
I then ran SSTool_v4.8, then extracted shtup_beta7 into the DataPermMods folder, then installed the ss2_v24 patch.. and BOOM

props to Minsc for consolidating the relevant SS2 patches and mods.

*EDIT: are those screen captures visible to everyone? not sure if Flickr image embed's work on neogaf the way i think they do.
*EDIT 2: make sure you force modern gfx tech like Anistropic filtering, Antialiasing, & Vsync in your GPU control panel.

lotrfan

Neo Member
out of curiosity: is there anybody who actually enjoyed bioshock AND systemshock?

Yes I enjoyed them. By this I mean all three: SS1, SS2 and Bioshock. I prefer SS2 but was really impressed by SS1 when I played it many moons ago (after SS2). Bioshock I like a lot too but IMO pales in comparison to SS2. SS2 was the first game I ever replayed just to experience it again (as opposed to for playing a new character) and did so many times over the years. Very few games since have made me want to replay them to repeat the experience (KOTOR 1,2, the Mass Effect series and few others). Bioshock while good didn’t make me want to replay it. SS1 I would like to replay but the controls just put me off.

I wonder if it'll have the full manual that came with the game. I have it (real paper manual!) and it has some interesting stuff, like backstory and notes from the designers.

feeble peanut

Neo Member
iZAEA3f.jpg

The cyborg midwife reminds you NOT to play with the fan made enemy models.

Man. I wish I could go back and play this game again for the first time. Such a tremendous effort. Truly elevated the medium.

And the sound design! I don't know if any game since has done a more effective job with audio.

Sinatar

iZAEA3f.jpg

The cyborg midwife reminds you NOT to play with the fan made enemy models.

Yea the fan mod completely changes the games artstyle in regards to the enemies for the worse. I'd rather play vanilla.

EDIT: although note that the texture mod Minsc linked to isn't the one that wrecks the models, it's just environmental textures and looks quite good.

SS1 I would like to replay but the controls just put me off.

just play it in dosbox and remap the keys however you want. across keyboard/mouse/joysticks/gamepads whatever you prefer.

love those controls. feel so great. using leaning is definitely useful. I think it's worth learning to use those controls to play ss1, terra nova and the ultima underworld games. think so. only some of the absolutely best games ever made. :)

Eusis

It's a reason to go with GOG version too, you can get a Key chart and just prop it to the side and follow that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Man. I wish I could go back and play this game again for the first time. Such a tremendous effort. Truly elevated the medium.

And the sound design! I don't know if any game since has done a more effective job with audio.

there were some that came close but none eclipsed it.

subversus

Thank you kind sir!

I'm hyped, never played this game, but Thief gold probably still is my favorite game of all time, so it's right up my alley.

dude, I liked Thief Gold much, much better than System Shock 2. But they both are great. Thief is just like... a timeless masterpiece for me.

Timeless

Can't believe the OP didn't mention the most important part: $10.

Knowing the licensing clustermess I figured it would be $15, $20 or even more.

RyanDG

EDIT: although note that the texture mod Minsc linked to isn't the one that wrecks the models, it's just environmental textures and looks quite good.

Anybody have a good shot of the texture mod with enemies in it without the enemy model texture update? I'm just kind of curious if the texture mod gels well with keeping the original enemy models. All of the comparisons in the texture mods thread did not show any of the enemies in the new environments.

With SS2 coming out, there are only two more games that I like to play every once in a while that have a shit ton of problems with Windows 7... Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate and Warhammer 40k Final Liberation. Once I can figure out how to get those two to work perfectly, I can retire my old Windows set up for good lol.

I'm now crossing my fingers for Homeworld and Homeworld 2 to be release on GOG. System Shock 2 happened. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 can't be THAT much harder, right?

Sinatar

Anybody have a good shot of the texture mod without the enemy model texture update? I'm just kind of curious if the texture mod gels well with keeping the original enemy models. All of the comparisons in the texture mods thread did not show any of the enemies in the new environments.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22.0

That's the link Minsc posted for the mod, it's got tons of screenshots.

Oh my god no. It's not possible to use those words in a sentence like that.

Sorry the truth hurts Sub_Level, but SS2 has one of the most poorly conceived soundtracks ever. The quality of the music is fine, it just doesn't fit the tone of the game at all. It'd be like playing God of War with a KPop soundtrack instead of the epic orchestral stuff, it just doesn't work.

Shutting the music off increases the tension tenfold as the games incredible sound design really comes to the forefront.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I take it I can enjoy 2 without having played 1, right? That's the impression I'm getting from this thread. In any event, I will definitely be picking this up today.

Thanks to Minsc for the mod suggsetions. :)

subversus

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22.0

Sorry the truth hurts Sub_Level, but SS2 has one of the most poorly conceived soundtracks ever. The quality of the music is fine, it just doesn't fit the tone of the game at all. It'd be like playing God of War with a KPop soundtrack instead of the epic orchestral stuff, it just doesn't work.

Shutting the music off increases the tension tenfold as the games incredible sound design really comes to the forefront.

not only it increases the tension it actually makes the game playable because you have to rely on sound cues a lot.

Sinatar

I take it I can enjoy 2 without having played 1, right? That's the impression I'm getting from this thread. In any event, I will definitely be picking this up today.

Thanks to Minsc for the mod suggsetions. :)

Yea the stories don't tie together very heavily, though there are certainly some big moments that won't have the same impact if you haven't played the original.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
not only it increases the tension it actually makes the game playable because you have to rely on sound cues a lot.

Well, I beat it on Hard just fine with the music on so I don't know if I would use the term "playable", but I can where both of you are coming from.

lotrfan

Neo Member
just play it in dosbox and remap the keys however you want. across keyboard/mouse/joysticks/gamepads whatever you prefer.

love those controls. feel so great. using leaning is definitely useful. I think it's worth learning to use those controls to play ss1, terra nova and the ultima underworld games. think so. only some of the absolutely best games ever made. :)

Well lucky for you there is this mod which adds higher resolution, proper mouselook and custom keymapping.

Thanks to both. Will give it a try. It is a game that was way ahead of its time and needs to be revisited.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yea the stories don't tie together very heavily, though there are certainly some big moments that won't have the same impact if you haven't played the original.

Alright. I'll be sure to grab the first one if they ever make that available.

Endesu

The only proper way to play System Shock 2 is with the soundtrack off. God the music in that game is so out of place. Nothing says horror like a pumping techno beat.

While I personally love the soundtrack, I can see where you're coming from... but it would be incorrect to say that all of the music is out of place. The creepier tracks actually fit quite well, namely Med Sci 2, Ops 1, and Recreation (personal favorite!).

Considering double dipping. Already own the boxed original, might nab this just to support it. Really ecstatic that a legit rerelease is seeing the light of day. Now, if GOG could do the same for SS1, I'd be really happy...

Top Bottom