• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 Confirmed for GOG Release! Out Now! (Via RPS)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Would be neat to see, but only if you make it good, neither too bloated with media, nor too plain, neither filled to the brim with information, nor with too little of it, etc. And no spoilers of course! A HQ fan trailer would be nice too, unless gog make one.

StuBurns

Banned
out of curiosity: is there anybody who actually enjoyed bioshock AND systemshock?
I like them both. Well, System Shock 2, not so much 1.

It seems a lot of people felt mislead, but I didn't have that. I didn't follow BioShock too closely, I don't remember a lot of talk about it's relation to SS2. And even if I had, I think I'd have expected a number of compromises in order for it to work well on a gamepad. I still think BioShock is an excellent game, amongst the best of it's console peers.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Bioshock kind of ruins the "first time feel" of this game as it is very similar but very much not as good.

out of curiosity: is there anybody who actually enjoyed bioshock AND systemshock?

I like them both but SS2 is just, like, way better. It also upset me that Bioshock tread so closely to SS2's story elements.

Bioshock kind of ruins the "first time feel" of this game as it is very similar but very much not as good.

hm I'm very curious how it will effect my first playthrough of ss2 (yes I'm one of those people who will play it for the first time). I have to say I loved bioshock 1 despite some gameplay issues (speaking of a general "shallowness")

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Going in as System Shock's spirtual-successor... no. After some time, I did eventually find some appreciation for Bioshock, but it's mostly to do with the ambience and atmosphere. I still have issues with some of the mechanics.

MNC

I like them both but SS2 is just, like, way better. It also upset me that Bioshock tread so closely to SS2's story elements.

Played Bioshock first, then later discovered System Shock 2. I appreciate 2 more as well. BS1 is a good game still, but I was pretty surprised to see so many things the same.

DocSeuss

great idea! why don't you do it? :)

I've never done one before, nor would I know how to go about doing it. Would absolutely love to try, if it's a doable thing and someone wanted to give me pointers.

Come on, guys, it has to be System Shock 2 |OT| My Cup Runneth Over.

(One of the best moments in the game for me, bar none)

I've never done one before, nor would I know how to go about doing it. Would absolutely love to try, if it's a doable thing and someone wanted to give me pointers.

Come on, guys, it has to be System Shock 2 |OT| My Cup Runneth Over.

(One of the best moments in the game for me, bar none)

didn't you do the excellent & entertaining "alienated from the modern pc gamer" (or something like this) thread?

RedSwirl

Okay I gotta run this by you guys: Did anyone else ever see similarities between the themes of System Shock 2 and those of the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie?

Bear with me here. Both stories are essentially about the philosophical conflict between the organic and the inorganic. In the case of SS2 it's between The Many (representing the organic) and SHODAN (representing the inorganic). In CTB it's between steel and flesh.

Basically:
The Many = Thulsa Doom
SHODAN = Conan's Dad (or just his philosophy, by which Conan lived much of his life)

The overarching theme of CTB is the Riddle of Steel, which has something to do between the question of which is superior between flesh and steel. At the beginning of the movie, Conan's dad tells him his opinion that steel is better because it will never lie to you - "This (holds up a sword) you can trust." Thulsa Doom on the other hand, upon having captured Conan, tells him "What is a sword, if not the hand that wields it?"

In SS2 the two antagonists are SHODAN -- who as we know considers the mechanical and the digital superior to all else. "It is my will that gave you your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call a body." The Many can be considered similar to Doom's followers as well. "Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."

From what I can tell, the end of CTB is a bit more profound in this regard: Conan is halfway to actually believing Doom's words under hypnosis when he realizes his own truth -- that the mind is superior to both flesh and steel -- that if he allows himself to believe in Doom's power then he is no different from Doom's followers, then promptly decapitates Doom. The guy in SS2 just
says "nah" to an alliance with Shodan, and shoots her.
Maybe that means something and I should go back and check. I don't know.

Anyway, that's just what I saw. I'm probably just crazy.

Okay I gotta run this by you guys: Did anyone else ever see similarities between the themes of System Shock 2 and those of the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie?

Bear with me here. Both stories are essentially about the philosophical conflict between the organic and the inorganic. In the case of SS2 it's between The Many (representing the organic) and SHODAN (representing the inorganic). In CTB it's between steel and flesh.

Basically:
The Many = Thulsa Doom
SHODAN = Conan's Dad (or just his philosophy, by which Conan lived much of his life)

The overarching theme of CTB is the Riddle of Steel, which has something to do between the question of which is superior between flesh and steel. At the beginning of the movie, Conan's dad tells him his opinion that steel is better because it will never lie to you - "This (holds up a sword) you can trust." Thulsa Doom on the other hand, upon having captured Conan, tells him "What is a sword, if not the hand that wields it?"

In SS2 the two antagonists are SHODAN -- who as we know considers the mechanical and the digital superior to all else. "It is my will that gave you your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call a body." The Many can be considered similar to Doom's followers as well. "Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."

From what I can tell, the end of CTB is a bit more profound in this regard: Conan is halfway to actually believing Doom's words under hypnosis when he realizes his own truth -- that the mind is superior to both flesh and steel -- that if he allows himself to believe in Doom's power then he is no different from Doom's followers, then promptly decapitates Doom. The guy in SS2 just
says "nah" to an alliance with Shodan, and shoots her.
Maybe that means something and I should go back and check. I don't know.

Anyway, that's just what I saw. I'm probably just crazy.

You mad bastard.

You're not wrong though; it is certainly an interesting comparison!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
SS2 is imo one of the greatest games ever made. I played it long after it's release when the graphics were already outdated and still loved it from the first minute. Remember that I was totally hooked after the intro. It just managed to pull you right into the universe. One of the greatest intros ever. SHODAN is one of the best videogame characters ever created. Loved every bit of dialog from "her".

Shame this IP is still rotting in EAs chambers. Hope I live to see the day it returns.

CTLance

Roughly 2,376,671 seconds to go. (Counter on gog just displayed 11:11:11)

The wait is killing me. I just know GOG will melt and I will have to leave before being able to load the setup to a memstick.

Persona7

Banned
Roughly 2,376,671 seconds to go. (Counter on gog just displayed 11:11:11)

The wait is killing me. I just know GOG will melt and I will have to leave before being able to load the setup to a memstick.

I am going to buy it as quick as I can and then load it up on the downloader.

Hambone

I've never played this, but will purchase it tomorrow.

You know what's weird, I actually remember at the end of 1999 going to Fry's Electronics (in Burbank CA) with the intent of buying a new pc game. I remember seeing this on the shelf, and it piqued my interest, but I was really into RPGs, so I purchased Ultima 9. We all know how that turned out.

Macmanus

The only one who seems to be throwing a tantrum here is you, considering instead of formulating a real counter argument you're content with just shitting out ad hominem attack after ad hominem attack.

You should educate yourself on what ad hominem means. I'm not trying to discredit your argument by attacking you. I don't necessarily disagree with what you're proclaiming - I'm simply stating that you're hyperbolizing your "points" to the enth degree and coming off as a spoiled self indulgent brat who hasn't maturated enough to understand that their opinion is not actual fact.

Your understanding of what a tantrum is happens to be even more embarrassing than that of ad hominem.

samman6

Dear people who have not played this game do it now!!

Finally I can throw away my laptop from 2002, whose only purpose was to play this game.

Deadbeat

Banned
Dear people who have not played this game do it now!!

Finally I can throw away my laptop from 2002, whose only purpose was to play this game.
Ive been playing it just fine on windows 7 64 bit for a while. Theres been community fixes for a while.

samman6

Ive been playing it just fine on windows 7 64 bit for a while. Theres been community fixes for a while.

Well to be fair I did own a mac till 2010, still no hassling with settings ect on GOG makes it even easier, especially for people who havent enjoyed it. My only advice for new players stay far far away from spoilers.

How about...

System Shock 2 lOTl Shits on Bioshock from a great height

Nice but the OT title shouldn't have anything to do with Bioshock, just like Bioshock had nothing to do with SS2.

Something along the lines of:

System Shock 2 |OT| What the fuck was that?

New players will know it when they see it.

Top Bottom