• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 Confirmed for GOG Release! Out Now! (Via RPS)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I shouldn't have to lower my standards in order to enjoy the product, and I refuse to do so.
Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time but I still loved Bioshock despite being watered down. It was definitely not Invisible War all over again (IW had much more significant problems).

pa22word

It was definitely not Invisible War all over again (IW had much more significant problems).

Yeah, it really was. Both in gameplay and in level design (lol floaty golden arrow and item shimmer). In fact I give IW more credit as they didn't shamelessly rehash the
plot
down to a T.

inm8num2

Only played the demo from PC Gamer's monthly disc back in 1999. Loved what I saw.

Hopefully I can get this. Awesome release for GOG!

Cramoss

More like if you went into BioShock expecting a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 -- which is how Levine hyped it -- you were incredibly let down by the shallow and derivative experience that took the preexisting formula and walked straight backwards, and then furiously let down once you realized how shameless they were with the plot. Topped off with an ending that might as well be the equivalent of the writer waving the bird to anyone who dared to complete the poorly paced crap and you're left with a game that doesn't even sniff the greatness of System Shock 2...let alone match up to it in any way, shape, or form.

I say without hesitation that BioShock is the single most disappointing game I played this entire generation, bar none.
It's Invisible War all over again, except no-one in the press apparently played System Shock 2 so no one gave a fuck that the game was a watered down trash sequel and threw 10s at the game like it was the next coming of christ.

Also I find your point entirety mute considering no-one goes into System Shock 2 wanting DOOM. The game is an RPG, not a shooter. BioShock watered down all the RPG elemets of System Shock 2 into oblivion and barely updated the base shooting mechanics beyond adding regional damage (which I wouldn't even really say was an "update" as the original game's leveling system for guns was much more rewarding) and fluffing up the animations, anyways.

yeah yeah the game was dumbed down gameplay wise but I still enjoyed it a lot. try to enjoy it for what it is already and not for what it could've been.

szaromir

Banned
Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time but I still loved Bioshock despite being watered down. It was definitely not Invisible War all over again (IW had much more significant problems).
I enjoyed it to, but it's much worse than System Shock 2 (or Bioshock 2 for that matter).
Yeah, it really was. Both in gameplay and in level design (lol floaty golden arrow and item shimmer).
You should have disabled the arrow.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The weapon degradation removal patch really was official? Never knew.

Doesn't it make most of the weapon items in the game redundant or is there another use in carrying more?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
yeah yeah the game was dumbed down gameplay wise but I still enjoyed it a lot. try to enjoy it for what it is already and not for what it could've been.

You know, that's the thing. Having never experienced SS2, I had nothing to compare BioShock to and I absolutely loved that game. So I'm genuinely excited to play SS2 for the first time.

pa22word

Such ridiculous hyperbole. Its a video game. Settle down.

How about you try forming an actual counter-response other than "lol video games"?

You could turn those off you know.

Only the former, and it doesn't change the fact that the game was designed to be played with it on in mind. Granted, it's not as unplayable as skyrim without quest markers, but you'll still be wandering aimlessly as the in game descriptors for where to go leave much to be desired as they take into account that you are playing with the floaty arrow on. Item shimmer is locked on for main game stuffs, because you know, we are too stupid to understand the big ass switch in the center of the room needs to be activated without it glowing a bright gold.

The weapon degradation removal patch really was official? Never knew.

Doesn't it make most of the weapon items in the game redundant or is there another use in carrying more?

It's not official. They simply slowed it down from 1.0 and added a way for people to turn it off via ini editing. I suggest you play with it on. The game showers you with enough maintenance tools for it never to be a problem if you level maintenance a bit, anyways. Also DON'T LEVEL REPAIR. It's pretty much entirely useless save for *minor gameplay spoilers*
getting the shotgun a bit early.

vocab

I played two hours of videogame and it's terrible. I know what I'm talking about!

I'm talking about my personal experience. I gave it an honest shot, and I really can't play it. The intro hooked me, and I wanted to play more, but then when I starting going through all these places, and going on fetch quests I became bored almost instantly.

szaromir

Banned
Only the former, and it doesn't change the fact that the game was designed to be played with it on in mind. Granted, it's not as unplayable as skyrim without quest markers, but you'll still be wandering aimlessly as the in game descriptors for where to go leave much to be desired as they take into account that you are playing with the floaty arrow on.

I'm sorry to tell you but it was just you. I immediately turned the arrow off and had no problems navigating the levels.

Alexios

Also DON'T LEVEL REPAIR.
Is there a patch that removes the things you shouldn't do but aren't warned about then? I don't really wanna read about the whole game before playing just to avoid such situations that don't come from bad choices but from bad balance with useless skills etc, with the threat of min maxing my character and making it too easy for me by reading too much...

pa22word

I'm sorry to tell you but it was just you. I immediately turned the arrow off and had no problems navigating the levels.

Good for you; that doesn't mean they didn't design for it on in mind. Which you know, is why it's on by default.

Why in the hell would I attempt to counter your inane ramblings? It would be akin to debating a two year old throwing a tantrum.

The only one who seems to be throwing a tantrum here is you, considering instead of formulating a real counter argument you're content with just shitting out ad hominem attack after ad hominem attack.

Is there a patch that removes the things you shouldn't do but aren't warned about then? I don't really wanna read about the whole game before playing to avoid such situations that don't come from bad choices but from bad balance with useless skills etc, with the threat of min maxing my character and making it too easy for me by reading too much...

There is no bad build, really. It's just that with the patch that drastically improved weapon durability repair became meaningless against maintenance as the chance that your gun would actually break went down to essentially zero. On 1.0 repair is worth taking in the early points as your guns will be breaking a lot as the maint tools you get + maint lvl + weapon degradation status of weapons you pick up will be > the number of main tools you can feasibly find. Now repair is pretty worthless, tbqh.

Any chance we can get an injector of some sort in there to render 3D and hook the camera to an alternate input?

Mainly because I'd love to play this game with the Oculus Rift. :O

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is there a patch that removes the things you shouldn't do but aren't warned about then? I don't really wanna read about the whole game before playing just to avoid such situations that don't come from bad choices but from bad balance with useless skills etc, with the threat of min maxing my character and making it too easy for me by reading too much...

You can absolutely get in situations where you have to restart completely. You'll know by Deck 4 or 5 whether you dun goofed with your stat building and ammo management or not.

But it's fun because the game is fun :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It would be really nice to get some Maldo level texture and modeling work done for this game. Maldo is one of the few people you can trust to make amazing textures that fit a games original art design.

That's an absurd wish even by pipe dream standards. And even if it was just textures it would look ridiculous with the existing polycount. The game is old as fuck and plays like it's age so what's wrong with just playing it with vanilla assets?

All this hate for Bioshock from SS2 diehards is borderline delusional. Bioshock is a spiritual successor, not a direct sequel. It should always have been judged on its own merits. It's time that the Looking Glass fans got the hell over it.

DocSeuss

Never played these. I've heard people say Dead Space (the first one) is similar, is that accurate?

Dead Space, beat-for-beat, mimics System Shock 2 fairly well. Start off in an engineering bit, head to medical, later head to hydroponics, etc.

Even the twist is similar, albeit better done in System Shock 2.

All this hate for Bioshock from SS2 diehards is borderline delusional. Bioshock is a spiritual successor, not a direct sequel. It should always have been judged on its own merits. It's time that the Looking Glass fans got the hell over it.

A spiritual successor should be as ambitious, if not better than, its predecessor. It should not be a lesser game in nearly every way.

You can absolutely get in situations where you have to restart completely. You'll know by Deck 4 or 5 whether you dun goofed with your stat building and ammo management or not.

What?

What are you talking about? I've never encountered this.

Zeliard

As I recall, System Shock 2 was a fairly significant part of Bioshock's marketing. Ken Levine continually brought the game up in interviews in the lead-up to Bioshock's release. If he didn't want to set unrealistic expectations, maybe he should have tried a different strategy. :p

Regardless, Bioshock has its own problems outside of comparisons to SS2. I thought Bioshock 2 improved on the gameplay substantially.

A spiritual successor should be as ambitious, if not better than, its predecessor. It should not be a lesser game in nearly every way.

Opinions be opinions, man. People are too busy trying to compare it to an ancient game from the '90's, instead of comparing it to the games of its time, which is fundamentally shits all over on every level. To suggest that Bioshock is a shit game because it wasn't developed to be balls retreating into the body level hard is just naive at best and willfully ignorant of the nature of the modern industry at worst. If you don't leave plenty of room for mass market appeal, you'll suffer in sales and publishers will be more prone to knee jerk reactions when their share price drops a couple of cents. That's just a sad fact. I believe Irrational did their best to balance both.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dead Space, beat-for-beat, mimics System Shock 2 fairly well. Start off in an engineering bit, head to medical, later head to hydroponics, etc.

Even the twist is similar, albeit better done in System Shock 2.

To me, Dead Space always felt more like System Shock than Bioshock ever did.

Sub_Level

What?

What are you talking about? I've never encountered this.

I had a Hard playthrough where I had to go back to the beginning because I had no ammo. I was on Recreation deck. I guess theoretically if you got into a fubar situation with no ammo or medkits and lots of tough enemies like Birth Mothers and Security Mechs you could just keep spawning at the reconstruction chamber from nanites and wrench enemies to death...you would surely beat the game. But that's not how I like to play.

If you're careful, though, it shouldn't be an issue. SS2 is not a "hard" game in the sense that it takes a lot of skill or intelligence. But the game does take discretion.

szaromir

Banned
Good for you; that doesn't mean they didn't design for it on in mind. Which you know, is why it's on by default.
It's on by default because most people are sheep like following very precisely defined objectives. Hence the popularity of shooters like Half-Life, Call of Duty or Uncharted that remove exploration altogether. But level design in Bioshock was fine and easily navigable without the arrow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, it really was. Both in gameplay and in level design (lol floaty golden arrow and item shimmer). In fact I give IW more credit as they didn't shamelessly rehash the
plot
down to a T.
No, I disagree.

Invisible War wasn't simply bad as a result of being dumbed down. No, it goes deeper than that. The engine they created for IW (custom UE2) was shit. Unlike the original, it could only handle very small maps which resulted in load screens around nearly every corner. This limitation had a direct impact on every single area in the game. Each of those loading screens were also obscenely long which resulted in a lot of waiting around.

Bioshock at least present large maps and good atmosphere along with decent gameplay mechanics. The game was simplified from SS2 by a great margin but what was there was still very good. Invisible War was NOT good. At all.

Great VS Good... there are more important things to get heated about.

That's the problem though; there is grounds to say that this is a debate about great vs. great, if you factor in the changing nature of the industry, the audience it caters to and the adaption you have to go through to keep up.

Cronee

Oh, hell yes! I can't wait to barricade myself in the elevator, play some Overworld Zero, and research some annelid organs!

[rant]
Also, to all the haters, Systems and Bios alike, just stop. Both are completely different games, with completely different game-play styles. Comparing System Shock 2 to Bioshock, and vice-verse, is like comparing Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 or Apples to Androids. System Shock is a RPG first, a FPS second, and it shows. Bioshock is just an FPS with RPG-like "selectable and swappable" abilities or perks. In System Shock, you can tailor your character how you see fit. However, that also means choosing between different abilities that would allow you to use or do certain things in the game. Not to mention, there is no going back. Once you've made your choice you are stuck with your build until you make a new character. Need more power to kill that big guy over there? Well, I guess you should have thought about that when you were trying to decide between that
sixth point in heavy weapons, which would have allowed you to use that MASSIVE fusion cannon, or that fourth point in energy weapons so you can run around like a Jedi with your energy saber.
Bioshock? Nah, totally different. Need more power to splatter a big daddy? No problem, go visit the gene bank and swap out a tonic. Oh, you want to be more stealthy? No problem, go visit the gene bank and swap out a tonic, although, that probably means you'll have to lose your ability to splatter big daddies. Oh, but don't worry you little cry baby, just come back later and swap your tonics again! System Shock is meant to be hard and unforgiving. Bioshock caters to the whiny little baby in all of us, much like most games do now-a-days.
[/rant]

So, anyway, both are great games in their own regards and you can't compare them to each other. Just tl;dr and continue.

lotrfan

Neo Member

It should be noted that players have been able to finish the game on hard or impossible by just using the wrench (with the proper build of course). I tried and failed but I was able to fight my way though most enemies with just the wrench. It obviously takes some skill and a lot of practice but the point is that even if someone screws up the build the wrench can get them out of almost anything.

One tip is to increase your strength as this will increase melee damage but also increase amount of items that you can carry.

Alexios

That's an absurd wish even by pipe dream standards. And even if it was just textures it would look ridiculous with the existing polycount. The game is old as fuck and plays like it's age so what's wrong with just playing it with vanilla assets?
I don't think the HQ textures linked look any worse than the defaults, I don't see how even better textures than those would be.

That's the problem though; there is grounds to say that this is a debate about great vs. great, if you factor in the changing nature of the industry, the audience it caters to and the adaption you have to go through to keep up.

Well in that regard i'd argue the industry is changing for the worse. Case in point: SS2 is the best game ever made and it's over a decade old.

Sub_Level

It should be noted that players have been able to finish the game on hard or impossible by just using the wrench (with the proper build of course). I tried and failed but I was able to fight my way though most enemies with just the wrench. It obviously takes some skill and a lot of practice but the point is that even if someone screws up the build the wrench can get them out of almost anything.

One tip is to increase your strength as this will increase melee damage but also increase amount of items that you can carry.

I always do that up to two points from the max. I found that gave me more than enough inventory space.

Also for the Rickenbacker I would always spend a crapload of nanites on medkits.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, I disagree.

Invisible War wasn't simply bad as a result of being dumbed down. No, it goes deeper than that. The engine they created for IW (custom UE2) was shit. Unlike the original, it could only handle very small maps which resulted in load screens around nearly every corner. This limitation had a direct impact on every single area in the game. Each of those loading screens were also obscenely long which resulted in a lot of waiting around.

Bioshock at least present large maps and good atmosphere along with decent gameplay mechanics. The game was simplified from SS2 by a great margin but what was there was still very good. Invisible War was NOT good. At all.

I'm pretty sure the maps were small because of the limitations of the Xbox.

Alexios

I'm pretty sure the maps were small because of the limitations of the Xbox.
Well, their inability to get a better engine and/or otherwise compromise in different graphical areas in order to have larger levels on the Xbox, yeah... They did a bad job, I wouldn't excuse them because of one of the platforms.

Well in that regard i'd argue the industry is changing for the worse. Case in point: SS2 is the best game ever made and it's over a decade old.

That's an entirely seperate argument and I would agree with you but I don't see how Bioshock needs to cop a belting or be treated as a worse game in the context of its time just because Irrational has been forced to change with the times.

Xtincthed

Neo Member
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that i've never played System Shock.. as a collector I'm very happy to say that I do have both games in their original big box release
But since my "retro" gaming pc died a couple of months back I still haven't gotten around to trying them

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well, their inability to get a better engine and/or otherwise compromise in different graphical areas in order to have larger levels on the Xbox, yeah... They did a bad job, I wouldn't excuse them because of one of the platforms.

I'm not excusing them, I was pointing out that the engine wasn't necessarily the limitation. The UT200- games had some massive maps that ran just fine on PC.

Alexios

There were Xbox games with bigger levels too, even open world stuff. The other Unreal Engine games probably had bigger levels too, possibly even those that edited the engine as heavily as DXIW, like Splinter Cell, but I don't remember for sure.

Top Bottom