• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I never played the original.

Speaking as someone that owns the original and the enhanced version on Steam: Don't. It's aged badly in terms of controls.

I'll definitely check out the demo, hopefully it'll spur me to buy it and go through SS1 completely since the original release's controls are (IMO) so poor that it is hard to continue playing it.

Speaking as someone that owns the original and the enhanced version on Steam: Don't. It's aged badly in terms of controls.

I'll definitely check out the demo, hopefully it'll spur me to buy it and go through SS1 completely since the original release's controls are (IMO) so poor that it is hard to continue playing it.

The original game with the mouselook mod (which comes with the Enhanced Edition) controls exactly like SS2. You shouldn't have a problem with the former if you're fine with the latter.

Regginator

Apparently it's not called System Shock: Remastered now, just System Shock (source 1, 2) since they've decided it's a reboot.

Good call, the visual differences are night and day and while Remaster is nowadays about only upressing it with maybe better textures, calling this a Remaster (with all the other remasters in mind) would be a disservice.

Gusy

Please do not fuck up the music
Please do not fu.........

Diancecht

Three days left.

SykI63j.gif

Maximo

Tried to play the original awhile ago but it hasn't aged well, shame since im such a huge fan of horror. Hopefully this remaster can recapture the same feeling everyone had years ago.

Tried to play the original awhile ago but it hasn't aged well, shame since im such a huge fan of horror. Hopefully this remaster can recapture the same feeling everyone had years ago.

I guess it might have been considered a horror game in the same way Doom was, but I'm pretty sure SS1 was going more for "cyberpunk."

AU Tiger

i loved SS2 and was really happy to see it get proper modern OS treatment on GOG. I never played the first game though as I was more into the arena shooters back when SS1/2 were big so I'm definitely in on this.

This will be the first thing I ever kickstart. The demo is a nice touch, very unexpected.

I bought the original System Shock on a whim (the screenshots on the box looked cool) in a Babbage's in 1994. It's one of my absolute favorite games today, along with its sequel.

Deadstar

Never played system shock but if the music is the same as what I'm hearing from the original I'll back. Music is a big part of games and to remove it or replace it would be lame.

s_mirage

I'd argue that the core game, the setting, and the atmosphere, have all aged just fine. It's the controls that are janky as hell, and were even back in the day, but those are easily fixed.

The only thing that could get me to not back this is if they fuck up the music. I want synthy, cyberpunky, goodness, not generic horror/ambient tracks. Hopefully they'll remix the original soundtrack.

Never played either SS, but I loved Bioshock. Are they similar at all?

SS2 is. It's got a heavier RPG focus in terms of character development, with the choices you make having a greater impact than in Bioshock, and it doesn't hold your hand as much as Bioshock, but they're quite similar. SS1 is a different beast. The levels are sprawling and it doesn't hold your hand at all. The controls are also extremely clunky and somewhat overcomplicated, which is something that will be certainly be addressed by this remake.

Never played either SS, but I loved Bioshock. Are they similar at all?

SS1 and BioShock really aren't similar at all. SS1 is basically a sci-fi dungeon crawler.

You might be more interested in SS2, which is where BioShock took a ton of inspiration from.

Maximo

Demo for everyone or just backers?

The kickstarter isn't out yet they are releasing it to get peoples attention FOR the Kickstarter. Very smart of them to have a working slice of gameplay to show off and get people interested, its way more then most Kickstarters provide.

Regginator

SS2 is. It's got a heavier RPG focus in terms of character development, with the choices you make having a greater impact than in Bioshock, and it doesn't hold your hand as much as Bioshock, but they're quite similar.

Maybe I played a different SS2 but the one I played didn't have any choices in it at all, besides the class selection at the start. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that BioShock has more choices (actually one, but SS2 has zero) with either harvesting or rescuing the Little Sisters that influences the ending.

And what do you mean exactly with character development? Obviously not Goggles or Jack, because at face value they're as thin as paper (with Jack actually having a lot of subtle lore about him), but both Von Braun and Rapture had a lot of logs you could find that gave plenty of depth to the characters in them. In that regard I'd say they're equal.

In terms of holding hands, I agree that the default pointer in BioShock is cancerous, but luckily you could disable it completely and still navigate around very well with the environmental feedbacks. So taking that into account I don't think they're very different in that regard. Still, because of the default pointer, SS2 wins here.

Besides mechanics (RPG/FPS hybrid, pure-ish FPS) and setting (space, steampunk), I'd say both are almost identical. It's hard to love the one and hate the other, they're too similar for that. Especially in terms of story telling and mission design it's hard to not see a lot of similarities.

Please do not fu.........

Yep, that honour belongs to System Shock 2.

Maybe I played a different SS2 but the one I played didn't have any choices in it at all, besides the class selection at the start. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that BioShock has more choices (actually one, but SS2 has zero) with either harvesting or rescuing the Little Sisters that influences the ending.

And what do you mean exactly with character development? Obviously not Goggles or Jack, because at face value they're as thin as paper (with Jack actually having a lot of subtle lore about him), but both Von Braun and Rapture had a lot of logs you could find that gave plenty of depth to the characters in them. In that regard I'd say they're equal.

In terms of holding hands, I agree that the default pointer in BioShock is cancerous, but luckily you could disable it completely and still navigate around very well with the environmental feedbacks. So taking that into account I don't think they're very different in that regard. Still, because of the default pointer, SS2 wins here.

Besides mechanics (RPG/FPS hybrid, pure-ish FPS) and setting (space, steampunk), I'd say both are almost identical. It's hard to love the one and hate the other, they're too similar for that. Especially in terms of story telling and mission design it's hard to not see a lot of similarities.

Choices as in how to play the game. The absolutely trivial story based choices in bioshock are irrelevant and the rest is basically also a glorified call of duty by your measure, which incidentally also has more "choices".

The mechanics matter in a game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why exactly? I don't have a PS4 so I don't particularly care, but it seems weird to make it for XBO and not PS4.

Do the rights of the System Shock IP belong to Microsoft or some subsidiary of it?

Night Dive owns System Shock. Either there's a timed exclusivity agreement in place (PC aside) or Otherside simply doesn't have the manpower to do both console versions simulteanously and chose the X1 for some reason (e.g. already having devkits).

Night Dive owns System Shock. Either there's a timed exclusivity agreement in place (PC aside) or Otherside simply doesn't have the manpower to do both console versions simulteanously and chose the X1 for some reason (e.g. already having devkits).

It seemed to be announced during microsofts flurry of "we need to do something about indies, round up a few" announcements. So I'd expect some sort of timed thing.

That said, if a PS4 port turns out to be something that would be worth worrying about, then they might as well call off the whole thing.

low-G

Someone on a different forum emailed them, questioning how the music would be, and they replied thusly:

N.D.S.: "We are working to make something very similar in spirit, but up to modern standards. You'll have to wait until we can release something to decide for yourself."

So seems hopeful that the music won't just be cinematic horror trope.

s_mirage

Sorry, I figured my post would be misinterpreted as I wasn't very clear. When I was talking about choices and character development, I'm talking about the choices of skills and the development of your own character. In SS2 it's possible to screw yourself over, in the early game at least, by poorly spending your cyber modules. I don't recall that really being a possibility with Bioshock. Also, the way you spend your points can have a large bearing on how you play the game.

jack....

Oh man, I totally forgot they were making this.

I've tried to play the original a bunch of times but its really hard to get into one you're used to modern first person stuff. I am stoked for this remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom