• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

Choices as in how to play the game. The absolutely trivial story based choices in bioshock are irrelevant and the rest is basically also a glorified call of duty by your measure, which incidentally also has more "choices".

The mechanics matter in a game.
Nine out of ten times when we talk about "choices" in games, we talk about how they influence the narrative, which SS2 doesn't have. Your complaint is more directed to the gameplay, which I already talked about how the RPG elements in SS2 are better than BioShock's rather streamlined elements. Categorising "choices" as part of the gameplay rather than story would be redundant.

Sorry, I figured my post would be misinterpreted as I wasn't very clear. When I was talking about choices and character development, I'm talking about the choices of skills and the development of your own character. In SS2 it's possible to screw yourself over, in the early game at least, by poorly spending your cyber modules. I don't recall that really being a possibility with Bioshock. Also, the way you spend your points can have a large bearing on how you play the game.
Thanks for the clear up. Like my post above directed to Toddhunter, your complaint seems to be more gameplay-oriented rather than character development (which I usually associate with lore and how the characters -both off screen and not- are portrayed).

But I agree. I'd be a fool to say SS2 has less customization options. But other than role-playing elements, it's very close.

Regginator

That's a pretty huge difference, considering SS2 is an RPG.

I don't recall saying there's not a big difference between gameplay. But there's more to games than just that, and you'll have a hard time convincing me that the story telling, narrative, level design etc. aren't similar.

Yeah, it looks great and pretty damn true to the original. I hope there is going to be background music in the final game, though, although I'm not holding my breath, to be honest.

Really hope they don't fuck up the music. The original easily has one of my favourite soundtracks.
Same here. I love the blend between industrial and elevator music and the horrifying noises in the original game. Greg LoPiccolo's design really is astounding!

I REALLY want to watch that video, but I'd rather wait until it's out and play it all myself. Then back it for that sweet artbook and steelbook.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Wellllppppp....

TQtAMxF.gif

Bring on the Kickstarter.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Looking good, but man that polygon player. You could tell he was using a controller.

Hope there is a running button, seems like you move pretty slowly without it. :p

You can, in the gameplay video the player was running (a little bit).

Onemic

Hopefully they dont go heavy on the horror. Is it true the original System Shock wasnt a horror game and it was only SS2 that was?

Lyrian

You can, in the gameplay video the player was running (a little bit).

Also, in the demo, the player picks up a stamina patch. This would be a good sign that running (sprinting) is in the game, as that was one of the primary uses of stamina in SS1.

Deadstar

I love remasters. In general, games tend to age worse than other mediums because of the graphics. Imagine a new half life 1 and 2 reboot with today's graphics. It would still be an incredible game.

Mivey

Also anyone know anything about them remaking SS 2? And are these guys also doing SS 3?
Yeah, they are also the ones doing a Ultima Underworld spiritual sequel. They hired Warren Spector and are giving him a new studio, to work on a new System Shock game, presumably.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah, they are also the ones doing a Ultima Underworld spiritual sequel. They hired Warren Spector and are giving him a new studio, to work on a new System Shock game, presumably.

I kickstarted the Underworld game, but i didnt know nightdive and otherside were connected.

low-G

On their Reddit AMA they said their min KS goal is $900,000.

Also, remastered original soundtrack for everyone is a stretch goal

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy crap, that demo. This looks like an amazing reboot.

Ain't no way this won't reach its goal - whatever it is - at light speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom