• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: The setting of Lucis in FF Versus XIII is a violation of age rating criteria

miku

5V6fwTt.jpg

On FF Versus XIII
By the way, in Versus 13 Lucis was set as a country of Reaper worship. This setting is a violation of the age rating criteria for games in some countries, so we cannot push these theme. To replace these theme, we have a backbone setting of “black as a special colour.” And I hope you will wait for more information to come on this.

On FFXV Theme
For FF15, we consider it very important to have a clear theme that you can explain in a few plain words. So my and all my fellow FFXV developers’ answer to the question “What kind of a game is FF15?” would be “a game to regain a kingdom once lost.”

No Nomura, No Stella, no blood...

FFXV Forum

Tabata only makes it worst when he talks about what they've cut out from Versus XIII.

I've already accepted that that FFXV is a different game at this point. It's just a new game with the smallest amount of Versus in it so that people don't completely go nuts. Still excited for it but jeez.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess they don't want the game to be rated M but rather T.

Dremark

Banned
I thought people were putting on tin foil hats when they were acting like Nomura moving off the project was something different than what Square was claiming. As time has gone on it honestly feel like everyone else was right and this guy was brought on to just get the game finished and Nomura was just removed because he wasn't finishing it.

Beth Cyra

Every damn time Tabata opens his mouth about Xv and every time we hear what has changed it makes me less interested in XV.

I know some view Tabata as great but I thought Type 0 was awful and these changes and things like reconsidering things and ripping them out has just annoyed me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You've already cut everything else, why not more?

Jesus. FF15 is probably one of my least anticipated games of next year. A definite wait for me.

Stella, the dark tone, blood, focused tested to hell, took out the action RPG direct combat, and now "oh i don't want to be offensive".

My goodness.

Every damn time Tabata opens his mouth about Xv and every time we hear what has changed it makes me less interested in XV.

I know some view Tabata as great but I thought Type 0 was awful and these changes and things like reconsidering things and ripping them out has just annoyed me.

So long as I don't have to play FFXV twice to understand what's going on then it'll top Type-0 for me easily.

SoulUnison

Banned
I wish they'd stop telling us all the great things we'll never see and all the less-interesting sounding things that are replacing them.

duckroll

Wait, if they abandoned the theme of "Reaper worship", does that mean the story material about the expiring light of departed souls and the Amano painting are all gone too?

Chilikar

Such a shame that this lost its supposedly "mature" roots Nomura talked about often. This games shift to a mainlin title and change in director has really changed the end product dramatically. Everytime he talks about this game, there's change from the original which makes me lose interest.

Beth Cyra

Wait, if they abandoned the theme of "Reaper worship", does that mean the story material about the expiring light of departed souls and the Amano painting are all gone too?

Wasn't the Amano panting in the location that feature Noctis and Stella? If so it would make sense of it was cut. Nothing we know about Stella has seemed to carry over that we've seen into Luna outside of some vague connection to Noctis.

UberTag

What country boosts a rating for having people that worship a reaper?
There's some fine print in the ESRB somewhere. Let's see if I can find it...

Alcohol Reference - Reference to and/or images of alcoholic beverages
Animated Blood - Discolored and/or unrealistic depictions of blood
Blood - Depictions of blood
Blood and Gore - Depictions of blood or the mutilation of body parts
Cartoon Violence - Violent actions involving cartoon-like situations and characters. May include violence where a character is unharmed after the action has been inflicted
Comic Mischief - Depictions or dialogue involving slapstick or suggestive humor
Crude Humor - Depictions or dialogue involving vulgar antics, including "bathroom" humor
Drug Reference - Reference to and/or images of illegal drugs
Fantasy Violence - Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life
Idol Worship - Depictions or dialogue involving a nation that worships a false prophet (i.e. Reapers, Hitler, Justin Bieber, etc.)
Intense Violence - Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons and depictions of human injury and death
Language - Mild to moderate use of profanity
Lyrics - Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol or drug use in music
Mature Humor - Depictions or dialogue involving "adult" humor, including sexual references
Nudity - Graphic or prolonged depictions of nudity
Partial Nudity - Brief and/or mild depictions of nudity
Real Gambling - Player can gamble, including betting or wagering real cash or currency
Sexual Content - Non-explicit depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including partial nudity
Sexual Themes - References to sex or sexuality
Sexual Violence - Depictions of rape or other violent sexual acts
Simulated Gambling - Player can gamble without betting or wagering real cash or currency
Strong Language - Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity
Strong Lyrics - Explicit and/or frequent references to profanity, sex, violence, alcohol or drug use in music
Strong Sexual Content - Explicit and/or frequent depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity
Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials
Tobacco Reference - Reference to and/or images of tobacco products
Use of Alcohol - The consumption of alcoholic beverages
Use of Drugs - The consumption or use of illegal drugs
Use of Tobacco - The consumption of tobacco products
Violence - Scenes involving aggressive conflict. May contain bloodless dismemberment
Violent References - References to violent acts
Oh yeah, I see it now.

Inuhanyou

Well yeah, that tied directly into the Legend that Nomura and Nojima had devised. So i'm assuming in the end that won't even be there.

Dark_castle

Okay...?

What significance does that have? Or rather how is it something to share with the fans that can possibly increase excitement towards the game?

PROTIP: Talk about the quest or gameplay design philosophy in FFXV. Talk about how NPC would have detailed A.I and follows unique routine. Talk about a random game mechanics of the game and how it would makes the game fun to play. Tell us there is no fetch quest, and share some insights to the types of minigames and side quests there are in the game.

Beth Cyra

Okay...?

What significance does that have? Or rather how is it something to share with the fans that can possibly increase excitement towards the game?

This is a good question.

Square is very much aware that Nomura has a large far base given they pimp his name even when he's not really involved.

You'd think some one would clamp Tabata trap with all this stuff about how Things where gamed from when Nomura worked on it. The group of people who would be excited by this reveal are very minor.

not sure about that, maybe he refers to these creatures..

sdffepod5.jpg

tzjgjzcqdj.jpg

don`t know how much they are involved in "lights of departed souls".

You know what would be a good strategy for promoting FFXV? If they stopped talking about interesting things they cut from Versus XIII

You'd think, right. Tabata is a complete idiot. Every time he opens his mouth he makes it worse without pointing out anything good about the game.

Seriously, every time Tabata talks it's "So Nomura had this really cool interesting thing in FF Versus XIII, so we cut it and replaced it with this noticeably less interesting thing so look forward to that"

Inuhanyou

I suppose Tabata expects us to be excited by continuing to tell us how STRONG of a character Luna is and how much BETTER his character is than Stella without actually telling us anything about her as well.

Man, this is such a drag.

Just give me something about 15 itself that is actually interesting. A new location, a new enemy, battle mechanics and strategies, anything.

My hype could not be any further through the floor right now.

It hasn't helped that the last few showings of the game have been medicore as hell

I don't particularly care about the loss, because I Tabata should probably stop speaking about the game in this fashion. He's drawing comparisons to a game we'll never get, which is also a game people had been hyping up and writing fanfics about for over half a decade. You don't want people to contrast your project with a vague sense of what could have been, because you can't compete with that. He should have thrown the old project under the bus from the start by saying it didn't work and wasn't compelling, and that they had to re-start nearly from scratch.

Mortemis

Banned
Tabata should really shut up about Versus. Like what are Square's PR thinking, every time this dude opens his mouth about it tons get disappointed.

Might as well stay quiet and hope people forget.

We haven't heard about that since E3 2013, and with the changes I honestly don't see it making it into the game.

playXray

Could someone explain this to me? I don't know what they mean by worshipping reapers, and that quote about black as a colour doesn't even seem to be sentence. I keep re-reading it all but have no idea what they're talking about!

Ray Down

Banned
I suppose Tabata expects us to be excited by continuing to tell us how STRONG of a character Luna is and how much BETTER his character is than Stella without actually telling us anything about her as well.

Man, this is such a drag.

Just give me something about 15 itself that is actually interesting. A new location, a new enemy, battle mechanics and strategies, anything.

My hype could not be any further through the floor right now

She will be better by having being in a game that exists.

zoukka

What this can't be real? There can't be an age-raring section for false idol worship this sounds too idiotic to be real?!

Top Bottom