• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabletop Simulator -play chess/cards/w/e with glorious HD1080p table flipping physics

A VIDEO TRAILER THING, NOW WITH 100% MORE STIM SEM STRAM blech

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is this thing?

All the visceral petty in-fighting and rage-induced metallic pawn-chucking action of real tabletop board games comes to life in the world's most sophisticated physics-driven sandbox multiplayer table flipping simulator.

B6PlUjO.png
lDxcrnD.png

Oh boy, I love chucking things, especially with physics! (and lots of em, all the physics, nom nom nom) What kinds of games can I endlessly frustrate my friends with?

Play chess, cards, backgammon, chinese checkers, GO, D&D, or any one of a number of other built in game modes (with more on the way), or make up your own games using the pieces provided, or import your own damn cards/game pieces/boards/decorative towels via the custom content loader (you lazy unimaginative jerk). Also mods for cool people, and Steam Workshop support for even COOLER people.

Does it have super ultra hi-res 213987.5 surround in-game voice chat? How about support for that Oculus Rift business the kids are yammering for these days? What about saving and loading games, admin tools like auto-saving and seamless reverting/antigriefing, 360 degree panoramic backgrounds, adjustable gravity, custom object and paper figurine importation, object and model tagging great for D&D and vicarious date nights? (ow my brain)

You bet your sweet ass it does, every single one.

When and where, I ask, OH WHEN AND OH WHERE can I go to purchase this lovely piece of DRM-free PC/Android/iOS gaming scrumptiousness?

It's out now on Berserk Games website, ya dingus, and it's just $15 for a multiplayer beta key to get in on the party extravagabonanza (plus there's a bunch of other extras to tack onto your purchase there), or if you're the scummy impatient cheapskate type you can go out RIGHT damn NOW and try the free singleplayer beta

Man wouldn't this be just super on Steam Greenlight? Don't you love Steam? Steam loves you. And it loves TTS.

I don't have any whacky sitcom-y friends with which to tear of the virtual cyberboardgame spaceyness. *sob*

Tabletop GAF has you covered, my good chumerino.

8On2mh8.gif

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Reminds me of Desperate Gods. Many games were ruined because of the physics simulations.

In all seriousness it is really neat. It's not restrictive and bland like playing a preset board game on a computer, you really get a sense like you're playing with another person in multiplayer, with all the quirks and plusses that come with that. The whole thing clicks pretty nicely when you get a game going (though with the relatively small beta atm, those moments are a bit few and far between). Plus the game autosaves after every move so you can seamlessly revert back and forth if something ever goes awry or gets griefed.

This. I want to try this.

Every once in a while in the beta there is a guy doing an improv D&D session using sorry pawns and a GO board grid. They fought the queen of blades at one point.

If someone makes Cards Against Humanity for this, I'll buy 4 copies.

The full game next month will have a custom card importer, so I fully expect that to be one of the first things added in by the community, if not one of the ones officially added in via that Kickstarter stretch goal.

Every once in a while in the beta there is a guy doing an improv D&D session using sorry pawns and a GO board grid. They fought the queen of blades at one point.
I got lazy when setting up a battle in ditzie (URL based mat layout ideal for playing D&D on a forum) so some of the NPCs in the battle got designated as an Atari video game sprite labeled "NPC". Of course I got even lazier and didn't anticipate my players needing a map for another battle so they were fighting a whole band of indistinguishable (except for the one stretched 2x as large) Atari sprites.

alazz

This and D&D sounds just great. I'm going to have to convince my friends to get this sometime soon.

Are there more than tile sets than just the stone dungeon pictured?

Is there going to be a DRM-free version of this, or is it planned as Steam only?

It's being independently released on berserk games' website, drm free. In fact the single player portion is actually going to be free permanently, you just need to cough up the $10 for a multiplayer pass. It's a nice way to not only try it out as a PoC, but it's also a good way to see if your machine can handle the at times demanding physics underneath it all.

This is absolutely amazing. edit: lol i noticed one of the things he flips is an occupied coffin

Arle Nadja

Neo Member
Would it be possible to make your own tokens and miniatures for this? Because in that case, tabletop RPGs are happening. Big time.

Would it be possible to make your own tokens and miniatures for this? Because in that case, tabletop RPGs are happening. Big time.

There are plans to have a fully functional custom model importer for the release tentative for next month. D&D specifically was also a dedicated stretch goal in their Kickstarter campaign so I'd expect there to be a ton of activity on that front.

Even cooler though is the idea that, as many on their forums have mentioned, this would be an excellent testbed for rapid prototyping new board games of virtually any kind. Couple that with Steam Workshop for the Steam release and you could see this game launch something like the next Monopoly or Settlers of Catan.

Update/Minor thread bump:

Beta 0.7 has been released as of a few days ago. Biggest new features are a bigger custom board for use on the rectangle table, the Piecepack game mode (basically a public domain mix of pieces which have been used to create/recreate hundreds of custom tabletop games), and the first of many animated PnP RPG figurines. Also a slew of bugfixes including the gravity slider. Among other stuff being talked about on the forums is also the future addition of 4-handed chess boards.

Someone's made a neat little monopoly clone that you can play right now

And for funsies

v0.8 released recently brings with it a host of new changes including the awaited custom card deck importer, Mahjongg (multiplayer version), + a ton of new RPG figurines along with the new option to toggle specific animations states (1 for calm/alert, 2 for attack, 3 for death).

4wfXiE5l.jpg

The RPG options are coming along nicely, need a bigger board though (or have the option to rescale the current figurines)

Platy

Price not showing up on the steam page .... guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to know the price of this game on my region =P

Top Bottom