• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taco Bell testing french fry options in select SoCal locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerotol

Banned
Nothing will compare to the glory of Mexi Nuggets. Taco Bell hasn't been the same since.

t5Ir0pA.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Except we have actual carne asada fries here

Del Taco already beat these folks to the punch, at least in Cali.

Every -bertos in the entire Southern California area beat both of them to it by decades

YHBl0sv.jpg

Taco bells in Puerto Rico have had fries for the longest time.

They are crispy and actually good. It almost makes up for having 50% of the menu and no fire sauce.

Trying to catch up to del-taco, a pity, haha.

I went to taco Bell in Japan. They had fries, which surprised me. I thought maybe the food would taste better. It doesn't. Tasted like American taco Bell. With fries.

Alright, I stopped by the Taco Bell in the OP and tried regular Seasoned Fries for a baseline of how they tasted, and also the Supreme option to see how they tasted in a more complex dish.

First off, the Seasoned Fries:
They reminded me of Carl's Jr/Hardee's fries in size and texture with a little more crunch to them. The fries themselves were pretty average, but it was the seasoning that put them over the top. The seasoning was pretty good, it tasted like a non-spicy Cajun seasoning. These are mid-tier fries with a good seasoning on top. (For reference I consider Del Taco fries to be the highest-tier fast food fries, and these Taco Bell fries don't come close to touching them).

Now on to the Supreme Fries:
The toppings were pretty bland, they work much better on nachos and make for a sub-par serving of chili fries (if that's what they're even going for, because they sure aren't carne asada fries). The thing that saves this from just being depressing, and makes it more of an "alright, if I'm ready at Taco Bell and in the mood for it" item is, again, the seasoning. The toppings are bland enough that you taste the seasoning through all of them. Also the prongs on the sporks they had felt slightly too short for the thickness of the fries, making it feel kind of awkward to eat.

So really, for both items, it's the seasoning that's good, not the food.

MGrant

First off, the Seasoned Fries:
They reminded me of Carl's Jr/Hardee's fries in size and texture with a little more crunch to them. The fries themselves were pretty average, but it was the seasoning that put them over the top. The seasoning was pretty good, it tasted like a non-spicy Cajun seasoning. These are mid-tier fries with a good seasoning on top. (For reference I consider Del Taco fries to be the highest-tier fast food fries, and these Taco Bell fries don't come close to touching them).

You have shown that you are to be trusted in these matters. Del Taco fries are outstanding.

Siphorus

Ran into this a week ago since I live in the area, these are pretty good, I'm surprised they're only testing them! They were available in Japan when I visited last year.

daffy

Banned
They aren't good. Not sure why you would order just these though. I guess some soft tacos and some fries isn't bad.

We've had them in town for like a month now.

They're basically fries, with a bit of Doritos Locos Nacho Dust on them, and they come with the nacho cheese sauce.

With that being said, they aren't bad.

We just got the naked chicken chips too and they go well with them, funny enough.

Bread

Banned
Why put them in a place that already has an abundance of restaurants serving the same thing? I'm sure Ohio would appreciate carne asada fries from Taco Bell more than we would in SoCal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom