• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO says Red Dead Redemption is a franchise, like he has been for years

DGOJG

Banned
I'd love a Red Dead Redemption sequel with a bit more focused missions and things to do rather than a barren wasteland but 'Agent' first Rockstar please.

I'd love a Red Dead Redemption sequel with a bit more focused missions and things to do rather than a barren wasteland but 'Agent' first Rockstar please.

It was the wild west? Small towns and small populations... and cougars! It could have used some more sidequests though.

DGOJG

Banned
Dude, just let it go. It'll be fine.

I can't..I just can't. I was promised a PS3 exclusive and damn it I want it.

01CdTmk.gif

Malmorian

Whelp, this made my day! My old man never had use for video games while I was growing up, but he came to visit a few years ago when RDR came out. So one morning I fire it up and in he comes to say something "blah blah video games blah blah waste of time" but stopped dead when he saw the sunrise in Mexico. Needless to say I ended up playing all day with my dad as co-pilot, and when he left he bought a console & RDR. For me, that makes it one of the GOAT. Bring on the sequel!

GetemMa

Fuck yes.

RDR was easily the best Rockstar game since San Andreas.

God damn I'm excited about a next gen RDR.

LZPBkjO.gif

bengraven

1880s.

Indian/half-Indianhero.

Keep the variety of western/midwestern USA locations (snowy mountain pines, scrubgrass,plains,swamps) but make them just a bit bigger to make the transitions between biomes less obvious.

Let me rob a train.

Tons of distractions.

Better loot.

Buy a house.

Prostitutes.

I loved RDR, but I'd rather have a Bully sequel. Many more opportunities there.

I want a Bully sequel too, but there are a ton more opportunities with the RDR universe.

bengraven

Because the American frontier (or Russia or Mexico or South America) was a long time period full of any kind of story you want to tell.

Bully is about a school and a kid. You're more limited.

Shouldn't this be RDR3?
256px-Red_Dead_Revolver_Coverart.jpg

Or we pretending this did not happen?

No, Redemption was it's own beast. It's not a true sequel. They improved on the game and will be likely using the Redemption tag from now on. Kind of like Soul Edge/Calibur. No one asks for Soul Edge IV. haha ;)

Jay Sosa

boo this man.

Kind of like Soul Edge/Calibur. No one asks for Soul Edge IV. haha ;)

I do. Soul Edge was so much better than Calibur.

They werent much of a problem until you had to kill 2 with a knife. Whoever thought up that idea, there is a special place reserved in hell for him.

Oh please it wasn't that hard. Whoever drew the first picture for the treasure hunt however....

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just like a bully sequel I would be there day 1 for RDR2. Loved the first one a lot the old west is just perfect for a sand box game.

I wonder if R* will include multiple character switching like GTAV. I guess the story could be similar to The Magnificent Seven.

This is one of my most looked forward to games of next gen. RDR looked amazing on 360 (and still does), so I can't even imagine what they are going to be able to pull off with new consoles. Really hope they go farther back in time though, as the West was already dying in RDR. Wonder who the new protagonist will be? Marston will be hard to beat, especially since I really loved the voice actor that voiced him.

Grief.exe

Was there ever any official reason for RDR not coming to PC?

Not an official reason, but several Devs that worked on the project have come out and said that the code was a mess.

It was duck taped together and rushed out the door for the console release, that going back for a PC version would take a complete rewrite.

They decided that the massive amount of time and resources spent on the process would not be worth it.

I thought RDR graphics are some of the best this generation

RDR2 will look amazing, hope we dont have to wait too long, hopefully it is what comes after GTA5 next year at some point

Gotta disagree with him on that one.

I sincerely hope the "goal" of the industry is NOT to create franchises. At least, I want to believe it isn't...

Franchises are not good for gamers, they are good for stock owners and to be able to predict and to make money off tired, worn down series. Not all games need to become annualised franchises, heck, some games are great as stand alone experienced. Let creative people create new IPs, please, don't beat a dead horse like they do with James Bond.

My point being, it's kinda sad that the gaming industry rewards yearly iterations and sequels over new IPs. It's partially responsible for the fact video games have trouble maturing and reaching the artistic integrity of other mediums.

For every Last Of US, there's a hundred "by the book" sequels of existing franchises being made. For any risk taken, there's 300 sequels "playing it safe" cause they want the "franchise" to appeal to more people. I know it's mostly inevitable due to the high costs of developing games, but it's pretty sad when Franchises are what these companies are selling.

MCN

Banned
Gotta disagree with him on that one.

I sincerely hope the "goal" of the industry is NOT to create franchises. At least, I want to believe it isn't...

Franchises are not good for gamers, they are good for stock owners and to be able to predict and to make money off tired, worn down series. Not all games need to become annualised franchises, heck, some games are great as stand alone experienced. Let creative people create new IPs, please, don't beat a dead horse like they do with James Bond.

My point being, it's kinda sad that the gaming industry rewards yearly iterations and sequels over new IPs. It's partially responsible for the fact video games have trouble maturing and reaching the artistic integrity of other mediums.

For every Last Of US, there's a hundred "by the book" sequels of existing franchises being made. For any risk taken, there's 300 sequels "playing it safe" cause they want the "franchise" to appeal to more people. I know it's mostly inevitable due to the high costs of developing games, but it's pretty sad when Franchises are what these companies are selling.

Not all franchises need to be annualised. GTA is one of the biggest franchises in gaming, and we've been waiting since 2010 for a new one. Rockstar take a very different approach to their franchises, which is to take their time making them, and making them huge. As in, you can play for years and still notice new things.

Not every franchise is Call of Duty.

Top Bottom