• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two FY 2015: GTA V 52 million, Evolve 2.5 M, NBA 7M, WWE 3M, lost $243 million

April I posted that I thought they were probably getting close to 50m but I thought it was probably more like 47.5m and didn't think they'd break 50m until either a holiday push post-summer or maybe a big story DLC push. That was sure off. 52m means it must have done pretty awesome on PC because it was 45m around the start of this year... reported mid-Jan but I think it was for the end of '14, so that means another 7m so far this year?

Includes digital, it seems? The 52m figure say sold-in to retailers but TT includes digital in revenue and also say that the vast majority of PC sales are digital so by 'sold in' it must include at least Steam, PS Store, etc by now?

Welfare

Rockstar will not be releasing story DLC for the game.
I. I just can't. One wonders who actually makes the final decision on this. What logical reason could there possibly? Anything? I cannot think of anything that's not dumb and/or ironic.

Let's pretend that, inexplicably, there's no money available for this. As we've learned from the PC version, there's entertainment available from something as stupid as a "rag doll" mod which I have to assume is just tweaking some physics variables and would take people familiar with the game about an afternoon to come up with. Sell it for $10 for consoles. Or how about that goofy "tsunami" mod that does nothing other than raise the sea level? $5. Perhaps delete Heists and charge $20 for people to get them back. Would anger millions but would make millions more dollars!
Semi serious.
These are but a few zero effort things that would accumulate additional wealth!

Edit: Full disclosure: Bought, played and sold the thing for PS3 after getting sick of it quickly, but would legitimately consider getting in on some new story content with new characters, etc.

impact

Banned
GTA V = 52 million
Wii U (ALL RETAIL SOFTWARE WORLDWIDE LTD) = 56.68 million

Getting close!

god damn this really just goes to show you how out of touch Nintendo is right now

with them missing this and Minecraft when those games are on almost all platforms you really have to question what is going on over there

Rising_Hei

It's a little sad that a single game gets so much success, and they barely release anything new as they did before, i'd be much happier if those 52m were distributed between 10-15 new games that didn't get released, and so would be everyone as gamers :/

It's also kind of sad that it looks like all Rockstar have been doing lately is improving graphically an already released game.

So it's only a matter of time until we get "Telltale Games Presents: Grand Theft Auto" huh

Hey, yet another thing that I didn't know that I wanted until someone posted it here.

People articulating a bunch of products that I wanted without actually knowing that I wanted them on a somewhat regular basis is why I ended up signing up to post here despite some reticence.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
GTA V = 52 million
Wii U (ALL RETAIL SOFTWARE WORLDWIDE LTD) = 56.68 million

Getting close!

holy-sht.gif

Tainted

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ine-Update-Free-Deathmatch-Race-Creators-this

''GTAV Story Mode Updates. For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas''.

sooo, they lied? -.-

Story Mode Updates

Technically the new vehicles and weapons would satisfy this :(

I'm not sure how adding vehicles & weapons (which were essentially just GTAO updates) satisfies the criteria for "continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas''

Tigress

I'm not sure how adding vehicles & weapons (which were essentially just GTAO updates) satisfies the criteria for "continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas''

Not only that, SP didn't even get the new weapons/vehicles for heists.

...and the heists were supposed to come out over a year ago. Promises don't mean shit. You'd think people would learn.

Tigress

What I don't understand...
You have an IP this big. Unimaginably big. Beyond what anyone could ever could have hoped as even the most optimistic sales projection... But you don't continue to make content. They haven't annualized GTA--Which I respect, but, frankly, from a business perspective, why the hell not? Nor is there substantive DLC.

Most your other points stands (from a business perspective) but what is in bold would kill the series.

It would get people tired of it for one (it feels like with AC once you played one you played them all at this point) and it would also kill a big reason why people get so hype for GTA/Rockstar games, the amount of detail they put into the game (there is no way they could have made a world as large and as detailed as GTA V in one year). People were willing to rebuy GTA because it's such an amazing world. I'm honestly sick of GTA V right now and I'm still amazed at the world when I go into it (I don't care about playing the game anymore but just to walk around the world is still pretty damn amazing).

People like all the little touches they put in and all the small stuff they manage not to leave out. They could not do that if they annualized it and while it would sell well at first, people would catch on and it would kill the long term prospects of the game. It would eventually have been considered to jump the shark.

jholmes

god damn this really just goes to show you how out of touch Nintendo is right now

Take-Two hits 52 million units and still loses a quarter of a billion on the year and the first thought to come to your mind is that Nintendo has a broken model.

Nintendo's so "out of touch" they actually made some money in FY2015. When oh when could they ever achieve what Take-Two has achieved?

Welfare

Story mode is the all encompassing name for the single player open world. Action and mayhem can be achieved by fucking around in the open world with all 3 characters, and unexpected adventures would be the random stranger missions you can get.

Adding new toys to add to the experience fits that criteria. You continue to play in Story mode with these characters because of the new toys added in with Online.

*Spins into the sunset

CEO saying they didn't promise story DLC could easily just be a CEO of a broader company being careful not to suggest something he may have forgotten was confirmed or not. The two official Rockstar suggestions about DLC were rather small official website newswire updates. Which isn't to say it's still coming but this sort of error (or simply erring on the side of caution) on a conference analyst call wouldn't be odd. Nor would a pure mistake.

ttech10

There needs to be a poll somewhere to say how many copies of GTA:V people bought. I have PS3 and PS4 so far, will eventually do PC as well. I imagine many others are at two copies bought and slightly fewer at three.

Welfare

There needs to be a poll somewhere to say how many copies of GTA:V people bought. I have PS3 and PS4 so far, will eventually do PC as well. I imagine many others are at two copies bought and slightly fewer at three.

Xbox 360 and One versions here.

Tainted

Story mode is the all encompassing name for the single player open world. Action and mayhem can be achieved by fucking around in the open world with all 3 characters, and unexpected adventures would be the random stranger missions you can get.

Adding new toys to add to the experience fits that criteria. You continue to play in Story mode with these characters because of the new toys added in with Online.

*Spins into the sunset

lol. 10pts for spin there...you're in the wrong business posting here on gaf :)

Tainted

I triple dipped, something I have never done before....and probably never will again.

Omg, 52 million. Has to be the fastest selling game of all time?

Retail wise yes, easily.

The only games that have sold better are Tetris, Minecraft, and Wii sports (bundled with Wii).

Keep in mind its not like it has dropped down to 20 dollars or anything, most of these purchases are 50-60 dollars.

cchum

The $243M loss referenced in the thread title is for the full year.

Looks like they paid out $800M+ in royalties to Rockstar/Housers in FY14 and FY15. Their full year internal royalties for FY13 were only $25M.

The PDF says $243 mil for the quarter and -$258 for the year on page 7.

orfax

Whoah, great numbers for GTA V.

It will not top Minecraft. Minecraft has legs like few games have ever had. I wouldn't be surprised if Minecraft reaches 80 million.
Minecraft must be over 70 million by now. Pocket Edition is 30m, PC is nearly 20m and 4Jstudios implied that the Xbox family is at 20m in a tweet earlier this month. That doesn't include the Playstation editions. May be getting close to 80 million right now!

Tainted

Whoah, great numbers for GTA V.

Minecraft must be over 70 million by now. Pocket Edition is 30m, PC is nearly 20m and 4Jstudios implied that the Xbox family is at 20m in a tweet earlier this month. That doesn't include the Playstation editions. May be getting close to 80 million right now!

Yup, GTAV won't surpass Minecraft...and certainly won't get anywhere near Tetris and Wii Sports (I dont know why a bundle game gets listed in the top selling games list for...but anyway)

Reason being the mobile market. GTAV may get a mobile revival some day down the track...but not for some time.

EatMyFace

Banned
I. I just can't. One wonders who actually makes the final decision on this. What logical reason could there possibly? Anything? I cannot think of anything that's not dumb and/or ironic.

Let's pretend that, inexplicably, there's no money available for this. As we've learned from the PC version, there's entertainment available from something as stupid as a "rag doll" mod which I have to assume is just tweaking some physics variables and would take people familiar with the game about an afternoon to come up with. Sell it for $10 for consoles. Or how about that goofy "tsunami" mod that does nothing other than raise the sea level? $5. Perhaps delete Heists and charge $20 for people to get them back. Would anger millions but would make millions more dollars!
Semi serious.
These are but a few zero effort things that would accumulate additional wealth!

Edit: Full disclosure: Bought, played and sold the thing for PS3 after getting sick of it quickly, but would legitimately consider getting in on some new story content with new characters, etc.
Why do story DLC when they can just do an entirely new game?
I'd rather them work on GTA 6 TBH.

jholmes

Yup, GTAV won't surpass Minecraft...and certainly won't get anywhere near Tetris and Wii Sports (I dont know why a bundle game gets listed in the top selling games list for...but anyway)

Wii Sports wasn't bundled with the system in Japan, and was unbundled elsewhere after a few years. Tetris was also bundled with the Game Boy.

Also, GTAV was bundled with the PS3 and PS4, maybe some Xbox systems too that I'm just not aware of. So uhh yeah, point's sort of moot here.

prag16

Banned
GTA V completely deserves all those sales.
I disagree. I was bored out of my mind and didn't last more than a few hours.

Sales juggernaut though no doubt. But what's been partially ignored amid this GTA circle jerk is that TakeTwo still somehow lost money this year? And a few people even took it upon themselves in here to laugh at Nintendo (non sequitur), a company which actually managed to turn a profit this year. Amazing.

Not sure how this is seen as a glowing reflection on the "AAA" industry.

EDIT case in point, the post below me. -_-

jacobeid

Banned
I have the PS3 and PS4 versions. I'll likely end up dropping for the PC version because I'm a sucker.

Wii U software comparison is absolutely insane to think about.

Tainted

Wii Sports wasn't bundled with the system in Japan, and was unbundled elsewhere after a few years. Tetris was also bundled with the Game Boy.

Also, GTAV was bundled with the PS3 and PS4, maybe some Xbox systems too that I'm just not aware of. So uhh yeah, point's sort of moot here.

Fair enough .. I wasn't aware of the Wii Sports bundling situation, I figured it was a standard game with every Wii worldwide.

I would really like to see a 'raw' best selling list without all the bundled figures....but I imagine that would be pretty hard to compile.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Wait a minute.

So GTA V has sold nearly as many copies as the total worldwide cumulative sales of all WiiU games since launch?

WAT?

Top Bottom