• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two FY 2015: GTA V 52 million, Evolve 2.5 M, NBA 7M, WWE 3M, lost $243 million

Crzy1

Well, one of the few games I've doubled dipped on recently, but 52 million is quite surprising. Good on them, though, maybe strong performance on the new consoles and PC will convince them to port RDR as well.

It's already the highest selling physical game of all time that isn't exclusively bundled. Don't think it'll top general sales of Wii Sports or Tetris though. Maybe Minecraft.

It will not top Minecraft. Minecraft has legs like few games have ever had. I wouldn't be surprised if Minecraft reaches 80 million.

mcfrank

Incorrect. Hollywood accounting only works because a movie becomes its own "company" which pays the studio to distribute the movie. So the studio gets to keep all of the profits, then pass all of the costs onto the "company" that is the movie. That way, anyone who has a financial stake in the movie making money will not see any of those gains. This is to show that the movie took a loss, not the actual studio releasing it which wants very badly to show a profit.

The video game industry is not set up like this. Take-Two just really is terrible.

That's not really applicable here. Hollywood accounting allows individual productions to run at a loss, while the studio overall is profitable. If the Rockstar branch had a negative P&L while Take-Two overall had income, then that link would apply.

The video game industry is not set up like this. Take-Two just really is terrible.

To everyone saying that the management is terrible, have you considered that investing for growth is expensive? Take-Two doesn't have the mature profile of an Activision; it's still trying to establish reliable franchises outside of GTA, and for an industry of high-cost, low volume products, it takes long-term infrastructure costs to get there. I'm not saying it's necessarily the case here, but I've seen other successful companies run at a loss for that reason.

ZhugeEX

Banned
GTA Online still growing, however forecast in conservative in that they expect revenue from GTA online to be flat YOY.

Amazing number... but yes i am surprised that 2K are still making a loss.

I think Mafia should be announced at E3, they did move production I think from Poland to USA and restarted it at one point apparently... but it should be right pretty much down the line by now.

Majmun

So many succesful games. Huge financial loss.. Something isn't right.

Maybe they're creating a console?

Zynx

Despite all the sales, corporate profits aren't that good, especially if you don't buy into their fiddly "non-GAAP" figures

ZhugeEX

Banned
Man, the audio quality of the conference call was terrible today. Only understood like 70% of what they said.

Tell me about it!

Wtf was up with all the background noise. I swear I heard like police sirens and stuff.

Now gimme that transcript haha

Losses with those numbers? What are they doing?

Probably got a lot of big budget games in production: 2/3 at Rockstar(?), Mafia 3, new Bioshock, new Borderlands, Battleborn, NBA, WWE plus anything else going on means they're in a position of spending a lot of money and waiting for them to come to fruition and be ready for release

ZhugeEX

Banned
More than 21 million units of Grand Theft Auto 5 have been sold through to end users at retail across PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One in the USA, UK and Japan.

ZhugeEX

Banned
NBA 2K16 and WWE 2K16 confirmed. (no surprises there)

Civilisation Online coming to Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.

Evolve 2.5m sold, 20% were via DD.

37% of total revenue was via digital download (full games/DLC)

Horohoro

The only explanation I see for the loss is GTA VI development? Or a higher quality RDR possibly? How else could they could have a loss with those numbers...? Then again they did do a lot of advertisement for Evolve and I think they expected more sales...

that's at least 17M+ customers that triple dipped!

but seriously, it aint that surprising when you make the game of the generation. hopefully, we see RDR-Remaster or the sequel sometime soon.

EGM1966

Can't be bothered to read the results in detail but I sure hope there's a good reason they made a loss given those GTA sales alone.

As for Evolve the online community strongly implies the majority of sales were low price point and the majority of owners ditched the game pretty quickly. 2.5 million units for an online only game should result in a far healthier community than there is IMHO.

ZhugeEX

Banned
NBA 2K Online has more than 25 million registered users in China and is the number 1 online sports game.

WWE Supercard sold 7m and is most successful mobile offering (financially).

FY2015 saw 10 mobile/tablet titles, all were successful.

KHlover

Banned
Sees 52 million for GTA V

Wow

Sees lost $243 million

HOW

Seriously. Even after taking retailer margins, development cost etc. away from that number it should have been easily over $1 billion in income from GTA V alone. What did they do? Write off development costs for all their titles in the next 5 years?

How does a company sell that much product and still lose money? Can anybody help explain this to me?

People have probably said this before (I just scanned the thread), but they probably have costs on games in development that outstrip revenue. New WWE. new NBA, new entry into one of their IPs, Rockstar is doing GTA DLC and, who knows, might be planning the next Red Dead or Bully, etc.

GTA V = 52 million
Wii U (ALL RETAIL SOFTWARE WORLDWIDE LTD) = 56.68 million

Getting close!

That is so absurd that I almost can't believe it.

Duxxy3

260 million should be enough to develop ALL of those games in FULL, not accounting for marketing.

RDR2 has likely been in development for 5 years. Bioshock would require rebuilding of the team. Then normal development on the others.

Take two makes it big and then bets it even bigger. It's their way.

Top Bottom