• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two FY 2015: GTA V 52 million, Evolve 2.5 M, NBA 7M, WWE 3M, lost $243 million

Opiate

That's the most bizarre thing to me, Take Two have arguably the highest grossing game ever (minecraft is a lot cheaper, wii sports & tetris were pack-ins) and still manage to lose money?

I can't think of what sort of money sucking vortex they must have, there must be layers upon layers of management siphoning away cash at all levels.

World of Warcraft has grossed much higher.

Man. How can a game that sells 52 million copies have such a small impact on the cultural gaming sphere? Do I live in a bubble?
Why don't I know anybody who cares about GTA V? Why are there no memes? No mainstream awareness of plot or characters? No iconic locations? It's just a brand to me. I don't know anybody attached to it. Or passionate about it.

Apparently I literally live underground.
I'm willing to bet some hard cash that many of the GTA audiences are minors, in fact I think half of those 52 million copies were bought by people under 17. Of course I'm speculating and this could be entirely untrue but every time I go to GTA online I always get children on mics and that almost only happens on COD games, at least to me.

DNAbro

how the hell did they lost money?

I'm willing to bet some hard cash that many of the GTA audiences are minors, in fact I think half of those 52 million copies were bought by people under 17.

GTA Online makes me think that. Like every other time their is annoying squeaking child that has a mic.

Daemul

Take Two are STILL losing money?

10c0021dcb.gif

This mismanagement at this company is unreal, how have they not gone under yet?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Battleborn will be at E3 in a BIG way.
Also other titles at E3

Also asian market is a huge market for Take2 and they will expand.

Did not buy or play a copy of 4 or 5.

I'm old school. I have to like my single player protagonist for me to invest in their open world. GTA just doesn't have my kinda heroes.

52 million gamers say that my $$$ isn't missed.

Good job. Get out RDR 2 on the PC please.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Man. How can a game that sells 52 million copies have such a small impact on the cultural gaming sphere? Do I live in a bubble?
Why don't I know anybody who cares about GTA V? Why are there no memes? No mainstream awareness of plot or characters? No iconic locations? It's just a brand to me. I don't know anybody attached to it. Or passionate about it.

Apparently I literally live underground.

Most videogamers don't go online and talk about videogames.

I'm willing to bet some hard cash that many of the GTA audiences are minors, in fact I think half of those 52 million copies were bought by people under 17. Of course I'm speculating and this could be entirely untrue but every time I go to GTA online I always get children on mics and that almost only happens on COD games, at least to me.

I wonder. When I was a kid I knew a lot of other kids playing GTA3. Not so much as an adult.

Most videogamers don't go online and talk about videogames.

Not that I know 50 million people, but that's kind of my point. Not only is the conversation largely absent online with a rather inert fanbase that seems to not talk about the game, but none of the "casual gamers" I know talk about it either. I only know one pocket group of player who played GTA V, three guys who each bought the game twice. But you would never know, because they never talk about it. They have nothing to say about their experience. "Yeah, I played that." That's all. Over and done.

Whereas 15 million people played Red Dead Redemption and people still talk about it all the time. Even casual gamers I know.

Flarin

By conservative estimates, GTA V made them over $2 Billion. I can't even begin to imagine where all that money went. Someone in an earnings call needs to ask these questions.

Shadoken

CoD, Skylanders, Blizzard's entire line-up, and now Destiny.

I meant even without Blizzard. Destiny is new , but even the previous years , take two just seem to make nothing.

Even Fkin capcom had 500m revenue selling a couple of remaster that barely crossed 1m. Take two had literally 20-30 times that . Where's the money going ?

52 Million, awesome. Excellent game that deserves to sell well because it'll mean that Rockstar will be given free reign to develop the next GTA however they see fit.

Regarding WWE...

WWE 2K14 was released on PS3 and Xbox 360. WWE 2K15 was released on PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, and PC. I suspect that much of the bump (40% YoY) has to do with people saying "Well, I haven't bought a wrestling game in a while and now that I have a PS4/X1, may as well get the latest one..."

And then being sorely disappointed in how shitty the game is.

Reviews don't matter apparently.

I have a feeling it's just because it's the first nextgen release, that they'll fall sharply next year.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Take2 refusing to give out metrics and data on GTA Online (in regards to number of players/interactions).

Just confirmed that digital download accounted for 75% of PC sales. (GTA V)

So 25% was retail (8 disc right?).

According to steamspy we see ~2.3m digital which means ~3.0m+ sold. (ESTIMATE)

TomShoe

Banned
Is that legal?

It's legal in the same way college athletics departments would rather spend millions on useless shit and gross luxuries instead of lose the non-profit title and -gasp- have to give their student athletes compensation instead of a C-tier education.

Top Bottom