• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two FY 2015: GTA V 52 million, Evolve 2.5 M, NBA 7M, WWE 3M, lost $243 million

Wow at those numbers.

I would have a copy myself if my pc wasn't old and outdated.

It's on my to purchase list as soon as I build a new pc.

Compsiox

Banned
Seriously. Even after taking retailer margins, development cost etc. away from that number it should have been easily over $1 billion in income from GTA V alone. What did they do? Write off development costs for all their titles in the next 5 years?

That could actually be a good way to impress investors long term. Give the "bad" now when they have good news about sales and then blow them away later on because you already covered dev costs.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Take Two since 2007 has launched a new IP every year. 10 titles have sold over 5 million units and 40 titles have sold over 1 million units.

faridmon

There must be wrong with our industry when you have a 52 million seller,a 7 million seller and new IP that sells 2.5 Millions and yet lose 243 Million Dollars...

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ok I'm done.

For those who want updates from the conference call then just search my name in this thread and read through my posts. Plenty of interesting information.

What I don't understand...
You have an IP this big. Unimaginably big. Beyond what anyone could ever could have hoped as even the most optimistic sales projection... But you don't continue to make content. They haven't annualized GTA--Which I respect, but, frankly, from a business perspective, why the hell not? Nor is there substantive DLC.

Is there any reason they're couldn't or shouldn't be almost continuous single and multiplayer DLC? Things like short story campaigns for side characters or the mid-sized expansion packs of old would sell in the millions. Hell, they could add DLC hats for $20 each and people would blindly buy them. Christ, people by the millions willingly re-paid $60 to play the same game on newer hardware in not even a "GOTY" form. Just the re-buys outsold some of the biggest annualized games. They could require a hardware add-on for consoles that forces people to pay per hour by feeding in cash and people would pay and pay. They could charge like a subscription MMO and people would pay and pay and pay.

When Take-Two still loses money despite an almost literal cash printing machine that is GTAV, I wonder how on a corporate level why the HELL they're not milking the IP for more? That's one of the first steps in cheesing your franchises for more money when numbers go south. It's almost worrying that they don't since it means total idiots must be in charge. Their competition probably sits around trying to figure out how anyone could squander something this badly.

GTA V = 52 million
Wii U (ALL RETAIL SOFTWARE WORLDWIDE LTD) = 56.68 million

Getting close!

Wow

giphy.gif

cchum

Take Two lost $243 million despite a massive increase in revenue due to GTA V sales?

Why do I suspect that there is some accounting magic going on here to protect them from paying a rather large tax bill?

Or in my cynicism am I genuinely missing something which explains this?

"Internal royalties" cost was $272 million, which was ten times the same period last year. Some kind of cost for DLC development or engine development?

"Net effect from deferral in net revenues and related cost of goods sold - the Company defers revenue and related costs from the sale of certain titles that have undelivered elements upon the sale of the game and recognizes that revenue upon the delivery of the undelivered elements. The Company also defers revenue and related costs for certain sales generated from certain titles for which we have or expect to provide certain additional add-on content. These amounts are deferred over the estimated remaining life of the game to which they pertain. As there is no impact to the Company’s operating cash flow, management excludes the impact of deferred net revenue and related costs from its Non-GAAP financial measures when evaluating the Company's operating performance, when planning, forecasting and analyzing future periods, and when assessing the performance of its management team. In addition, we believe that these Non-GAAP financial measures provide a more timely indication of trends in our business, provide comparability with the way our business is measured by analysts, and provide consistency with industry data sources." - http://ir.take2games.com/External.F...OJE9JciNeuMbxFaaizBv64RNsPRkmOMseqQyolNEYMg==

jkanownik

"Internal royalties" cost was $272 million, which was ten times the same period last year. Some kind of cost for DLC development or engine development?

The 10x increase was just for the quarter. Full year was $307M vs $539M. Housers gotta get paid.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Great for Rockstar. I double dipped in buying it for my 360 and ps4. Loved gta online but was frustrated by the long load times

Good lord GTA V, those are crazy numbers. I bought the PS3 version but didn't like it much. I bought the ps4 version and for some reason I've been playing it a lot.

cchum

The 10x increase was just for the quarter. Full year was $307M vs $539M. Housers gotta get paid.

Sounds like they lumped it all into one quarter for GTA 5. What is that about 80-90 percent of the yearly cost in a quarter? They might have spread that out over the quarters last year, and that is why there is a loss.

DNAbro

He means Puzzle and Dragons (a popular Japanese game) can sell that many units across mobile and handheld console in 26 days.

I've played the game. It sounded like he was comparing the money made on PD in 26 days to the total sales of GTAV.

According to some websites, Take2 was pretty flippant about GTAV Single Player Story DLC Content:

*edit after linking to banned website?*

Oh, I guess that website is a banned one...? I had never heard of it before. Anyway, on Flipboard I read an article that on the investor call today, when asked specifically about GTAV single player story DLC, Take2 said that they had not made any promises for single player DLC. When asked by someone on the call that they thought the publisher had mentioned something about it before, the Take2 person answered "we remember differently."

Doesn't sound good. Maybe they'll blow something up at E3, but you can't imagine why they wouldn't hint at it on the call... Or pull a "We'll have more information about that in the future" in some non-committal way.

something is extremely wrong with the industry when you can sell 10's of millions of units (i know they didn't sell all 52 million units within this period but they had to have sold a pretty good amount) and you still have a loss.

how the fuck?

jkanownik

Sounds like they lumped it all into one quarter for GTA 5. What is that about 80-90 percent of the yearly cost in a quarter? They might have spread that out over the quarters last year, and that is why there is a loss.

The $243M loss referenced in the thread title is for the full year.

Looks like they paid out $800M+ in royalties to Rockstar/Housers in FY14 and FY15. Their full year internal royalties for FY13 were only $25M.

According to some websites, Take2 was pretty flippant about GTAV Single Player Story DLC Content:

*edit after linking to banned website?*

Oh, I guess that website is a banned one...? I had never heard of it before. Anyway, on Flipboard I read an article that on the investor call today, when asked specifically about GTAV single player story DLC, Take2 said that they had not made any promises for single player DLC. When asked by someone on the call that they thought the publisher had mentioned something about it before, the Take2 person answered "we remember differently."

Doesn't sound good. Maybe they'll blow something up at E3, but you can't imagine why they wouldn't hint at it on the call... Or pull a "We'll have more information about that in the future" in some non-committal way.

They did say that though. The didn't ge the return they wanted for GTAIVs dlc. GTAV as a FTP title also needs constant support.

As as sad as it may sound I believe it. GTA Online will receive constant support though I'm sure

Top Bottom