• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria launches on January 24

Just watched the 'new' intro cutscene. It is so hammy and awful. I hope I they change it back. I don't care about costumes, but spoilers indicate they later call back to the event. The new scene doesn't make sense in that context.

Could someone point me to some import impressions so I can find out why the game is supposed to be so good? The only Tales games I've really enjoyed are Destiny, Phantasia, Symphonia and Vesperia. I didn't like the Xillia games at all and I hated Zestiria but I want a good JRPG to play before P5

Rising_Hei

But Vesperia has a great character. Abyss has everyting, and best character development ever.

Fixed it for you!
Abyss is still the best Tales for me, it's great from start to finish and it doesn't crumble in the last third of the game after the previous 2 thirds have been a build up for that moment, like it happened with Vesperia.

Vesperia doesn't deserve that much credit, it's just a fancier looking game, with a slower and more basic battle system that had people notice it because it was a xbox 360 exclusive outside of japan.

Fixed it for you!
Abyss is still the best Tales for me, it's great from start to finish and it doesn't crumble in the last third of the game after the previous 2 thirds have been a build up for that moment, like it happened with Vesperia.

Vesperia doesn't deserve that much credit, it's just a fancier looking game, with a slower and more basic battle system that had people notice it because it was a xbox 360 exclusive outside of japan.

I like you ....

And i like your post

Oh and i agree 100%

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Could someone point me to some import impressions so I can find out why the game is supposed to be so good? The only Tales games I've really enjoyed are Destiny, Phantasia, Symphonia and Vesperia. I didn't like the Xillia games at all and I hated Zestiria but I want a good JRPG to play before P5

Improved combat from Xillia and Zestiria, great cast, 60fps, story is good, ect

Rpgmonkey

On the fence this time around. I used to love the tales series but Xillia, Zestiria and to a lesser degree graces f has soured me on the series greatly. It looks to me that while Berseria improves on a lot of things it's still cut from the same cloth as Xillia and Zestiria. Jap import threads generally tend to be a lot more positive as well so I don't trust any of you who has played it!

I mean ultimately one has to come to their own conclusions and you can't entirely trust random strangers to like what you like or know what you like. At best it suggests a good sign but nothing can be guaranteed.

I think it's better than Vesperia in some ways, worse in others, since that seems to be the standard for a lot of people. I think Vesperia's main advantage that's actually somewhat objective is that its smaller scale helped them achieve more consistent visuals throughout the game and cost-effectively create a world-spanning adventure. With stuff like Berseria they're in the position of having a desire to portray a more modern scale than older games did, a budget around the level of what say, Persona 5 probably got, but the nature and history of the series creates higher expectations for explorable/traversable space than people generally expect (or even want?) from a Persona game. As a result I think some areas in the game look really colorful and pleasant while there's a couple that have a clear "the player's only going here once or twice and we don't have the resources to put too much time into it" vibe, and it's not exactly a world-spanning adventure (but to be fair to them it's the closest they've gotten to it of any of the post-Xillia games)

It wouldn't be a panacea but taking better advantage of third party tech that's possibly more advanced and easier to use than what they have now may help them do things more efficiently if they choose to use that kind of stuff in the future.

Paltheos

But Yuri is infinitely better developed.

yeah lol
Luke develops more but the process of doing so - the actual game - isn't as entertaining or interesting as Yuri. Most of Luke's character arc is a very vanilla coming-of-age story, told with all the subtlety of the swing of a hammer and with a supporting cast hypocritically and oddly viciously flagellating him along the way.

Yuri's character goes to some pretty cool places, even if I'm not satisfied with the final result. He starts off much more mature than the typical Tales protag and so is allot easier to relate to and the lessons he learns are... some pretty dark stuff. Again, I'm not satisfied with the final result and this being a Tales game, the writing can only go so far, but the stuff that does work is some of Tales' best dramatic writing (for what it's worth >_>).
Allot of people point to the straight-up murders Yuri carries out as their favorite scenes, but my favorite bit for Yuri's character is his last scene with the Don.

Begaria

The Calamity and The Blade trailer
https://youtu.be/taHrD8qb75E

HOLY SHIT! This trailer. THIS FUCKING TRAILER. Man, Berseria looks really fucking good you guys. That music. The voice acting is actually fairly good! Very little gameplay in it, but it's a really, really good story trailer.

varkuriru

Woah, that trailer was very well put together.

Good choice in not using in game music. Or said another way: I will be very surprised if the game has music like that.

Paltheos

Woah, that trailer was very well put together.

Good choice in not using in game music. Or said another way: I will be very surprised if the game has music like that.

They can't all have Go Shiina. Sakuraba's a good guy, by the way, when he's not solo composing. I like his Zestiria stuff more than most of the stuff in other recent Tales titles, and the variety from just having a second composer isn't the only reason. I wonder if the guy gets burned out doing it all himself?

Zedark

Wow, that was a brilliant trailer. I like the voice directions (what little we heard in the trailer at least), and the story and characters seem really interesting. High hopes for this one, let's see if it reaches for the stars.
Brave Vesperia

Anoxida

Do you trust Japanese peole's reviews? Because almost all of them were positive too. Or maybe you just can't trust anyone

What japanese people? Amazon japan? Should anyone trust thise reviews? Theyre known to bury games for petty reasons sometimes arent they?

I'll end up buying this knowing my weakness for jrpgs but I'm gonna go in with low expectations.

Datschge

What about actual JP players though?
Taking amazon.co.jp ratings, Berseria sits at an average of 3.9, while Zestiria (affected by the infamous Alisha shitstorm) managed 1.6 (Vesperia PS3 4.1, Graces f 3.9, Xillia 1 3.3, Xillia 2 3.4, Symphonia Chronicles 3.4).

StereoVsn

You are in luck since Yakuza 0 is coming out in January and so is Gravity Rush 2. Both are going to be very good and both are pretty much ARPGs

Alternatively a small game called FFXV just came out and it has pretty good darn combat (and a great game overall with a lot more support coming). If none of that work and you have a Vita or PS3 you can play Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 1&2. Or perhaps you have a WiiU and then you can play Tokyo Mirage. Or maybe you have a 3DS and play SMT IV Apocalypse.

Taking amazon.co.jp ratings, Berseria sits at an average of 3.9, while Zestiria (affected by the infamous Alisha shitstorm) managed 1.6 (Vesperia PS3 4.1, Graces f 3.9, Xillia 1 3.3, Xillia 2 3.4, Symphonia Chronicles 3.4).

I dunno about this since Graces has awful, awful story and pretty terrible characters. Great combat system though.

I would never use the amazing hyperbole that is amazon.jp reviews for games serious.

I think I'll be grabbing this though depending on if I can snag a PC copy. The changed opening does not bother me so much since I consider myself a bit overly sensitive towards violence/death of children. Nor do the costume changes.

My Tales hiatus is over so I'm ready for another one.

aitakute

What japanese people? Amazon japan? Should anyone trust thise reviews? Theyre known to bury games for petty reasons sometimes arent they?

I'll end up buying this knowing my weakness for jrpgs but I'm gonna go in with low expectations.

You can only think of Amazon when I mentioned Japanese people? You can just search Berseria and you'll find many Japanese reviews about it. But I guess you wouldn't believe them any way

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Woah woah woah.

I am being strongly tempted to buy it now...

What about actual JP players though?

JP players i've heard call it a significant turn around from Tales of Zestiria at the very least.

graywolf323

I preordered it on PSN ^_^ this, Yakuza 0, and Gravity Rush 2 are all getting my support at launch so hopefully we continue to get more of those games localized (I'm also getting Kingdom Hearts 2.8 but it's not like that's at risk of not being continued :p)

Does this have any save benefits for having played Zestiria? Thinking about keeping my US CE pre-order but i played a UK/PAL copy of Zestiria. The UK/EU ce is a cheap cash in .

giphy.gif
My thoughts.. :)

I'm still wondering what's happening with the preorder bonus on Steam. Aside from a news post about it there's still no mention of it on the store page. I'm curious as to whether the video will be DLC for the game or a separate streaming video.

khaaan

Away from my PS4 and gaming PC until summer, so here I am playing through Dawn of the New World for the first time ;_;
It's not that bad.
. Still got Graces f (never played) and Abyss 3DS (~10 hours) so at least I have plenty to give me a Tales fix.

Was not planning on getting this since the last few tales games disappoint me .
Good amount Gaf says it's best tales game in a while so i will make the jump .
Lets see how it goes.

SkylineRKR

I played the Japan demo and I'd say it feels far better than Zestiria. 60fps really helps and the IQ is clearer, the combat feels more like a Star Ocean/Tales hybrid which I liked. It does seem to be the best since Vesperia from a gameplay standpoint. Whatever the fuck that means (/Respawn) to you.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Was not planning on getting this since the last few tales games disappoint me .
Good amount Gaf says it's best tales game in a while so i will make the jump .
Lets see how it goes.

It already out at my country 2016/8 and it's really good.
But if you compare to the same time release game like Yakuza 0, TOB isn't a better choice

Top Bottom