• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria launches on January 24

Hmm... It's weird. Going to the page without logging in, the price is normal. However, if I login I get a special promo for it.

Maybe it depends if you've bought the previous "Tales of" games? Or is it just a promo for Canadians? Which would be weird.

Ah, I see. You're right, it's showing the discount on my phone.

Maybe it's indeed exclusive to Zestiria and/or Symphonia owners.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, import-GAF, how is the game ?

The unanimous verdict seems to be the best Tales game in almost a decade. Since Tales has largely coasted during that time, it may not seem like a huge praise, but it is a genuinely good game compared to Zestiria which was too flawed IMO to recommend.

Ganado

Basically the exact quote I was looking for. If this ends up Day 1 (or close) on PC as well, I'll be a pretty damn pleased.

Wait what? You mean a Vesperia port or what? Because Berseria is launching the same day on PC as PS4.

Inuhanyou

Will I need to catch up on Zesteria before playing ths?

No. Its a prequel. At most there are a few characters you will recognize if you played Zestiria, but they don't intentionally call back to Zestiria at all in a "hey remember this?" sort of way, more like a "ah, its that dude!" sort of way.

Its good cause i'd never recommend zestiria to people.

decisions

I heard "best Tales since Vesperia" from the import crew about Xillia 2 (which I couldn't even play 5 hours of), so I refuse to get hyped for this game that looks exactly like Zestiria.

Inuhanyou

Vesperia after all these years is still the best looking tales game wth...

In term of art style sure, but the assets themselves are close to Graces F quality which was wii game. And i guess it makes sense going by that distinction

GunBR

I played the japanese demo and loved the battle system
What was the reception of this one during the japanese launch?

Inuhanyou

^ Very positive, especially surprising given the crazy rejection of Zestiria. The Japanese fans who played Berseria were very happy. Baba leaving the Tales team's development arm really helped the game i feel.

I heard "best Tales since Vesperia" from the import crew about Xillia 2 (which I couldn't even play 5 hours of), so I refuse to get hyped for this game that looks exactly like Zestiria.

Xillia 2 was basically a copy paste of Xillia except for the story. If you hated that game you'd hate Xillia 2.

Berseria does a lot of things better than Zestiria objectively, and Xillia and Graces as well.

Mifec

Xillia 2 was basically a copy paste of Xillia except for the story. If you hated that game you'd hate Xillia 2.

Berseria does a lot of things better than Zestiria objectively, and Xillia and Graces as well.

I liked Xillia and hated Xillia 2's pacing and intro tbh.

Yep I herd the same from many places not just here and Xillia 2 is the worst game in the entire series as far as I'm concerned, and sadly I didn't stop playing it for 5 hours like you did, I finished it and the bitter aftertaste still hasn't left my mouth. Also I thought the first Xillia game was at least okay, the second game is just so awful in so many ways.

So yeah, Berseria might end up being great but I won't believe any of the hype for a Tales game ever again.

Man all these people being scared of Berseria's quality, I can't remember the last time I was disappointed in a tales game. They always met up with my usually huge hype.

BRING ME BERSERIA, I NEED IT!

Inuhanyou

I liked Xillia and hated Xillia 2's pacing and intro tbh.

well the story and writing can make a difference too as i said :p But its good that berseria had a great story that is not bland and annoying like Zestiria, nor overcomplicated, generally disconnected from the plot of the original and generally full of holes like Xillia 2.

jrcbandit

Yep I herd the same from many places not just here and Xillia 2 is the worst game in the entire series as far as I'm concerned, and sadly I didn't stop playing it for 5 hours like you did, I finished it and the bitter aftertaste still hasn't left my mouth. Also I thought the first Xillia game was at least okay, the second game is just so awful in so many ways.

So yeah, Berseria might end up being great but I won't believe any of the hype for a Tales game ever again.

Weird, I never heard anything that good about Xillia 1 or 2, both were majorly lacking. Same with Zestiria. Usually, people pre-hype a Tales release but once it finally releases in Japan people acknowledge that the game kinda sucks. However, the importers this time make it sound like Beseria is going to be good for once.

Mifec

well the story and writing can make a difference too as i said :p But its good that berseria had a great story that is not bland and annoying like Zestiria, nor overcomplicated, generally disconnected from the plot of the original and generally full of holes like Xillia 2.

Well lets hope for no Denuvo then so I can buy it and support the games on day 1. (though if God Eater is anything to go buy that won't happen)

dezzy8

These games are going to sell so poorly. I feel sorry for GR2 sales. RE7 and P5 are going to dominate. Everyone else will get scraps and then go on sale in 2-4 weeks. I'm just going to sit and wait for sales. Fuck this.

These games are going to sell so poorly. I feel sorry for GR2 sales. RE7 and P5 are going to dominate. Everyone else will get scraps and then go on sale in 2-4 weeks. I'm just going to sit and wait for sales. Fuck this.

Maybe, but the CE sold out quick everywhere. I didn't even get one and I've gotten one from every other Tales release.

Details about preorder bonus:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/429660/announcements/detail/702956339911803498
Dear Tales of fans,

We know you're all waiting for the preorder bonus, while we update the page, here is the bonus you can get:

• 10% off if you own Tales of Zestiria or Tales of Symphonia (not cumulative)
  • A 15-min Skits video
We are also thrilled to confirm that Tales of Berseria will have a PC demo! It will start on January 10th, so be ready!

A demo, huh? Maybe it's the same as Japan got?

They changed the cutscene... wasn't expecting them to do that.. guessing it was done for ESRB reasons.. small spoiler for the first hour or so of the game
In the JP version, Laphicet got run through w/ the sword

GunBR

Persona 5 gonna launch only in april

But I agree that GR 2 and Berseria gonna have poor sales

Paltheos

No. Its a prequel. At most there are a few characters you will recognize if you played Zestiria, but they don't intentionally call back to Zestiria at all in a "hey remember this?" sort of way, more like a "ah, its that dude!" sort of way.

Its good cause i'd never recommend zestiria to people.

*obligatory reminder post to everyone else that some people love Zestiria*

Seiryoden

I haven't pre-ordered this game. I hard quit Zestiria after 4 hours and thought "This ain't for me any more." I knew when I deleted the install that I wouldn't be buying the next Tales Game. This series has - for me - lost its way so much.

I really enjoyed Zestiria so if this is a substantial improvement on that game, then I'll be there Day 1. Gonna finish up Trails in the Sky SC and some other Steam games in the mean time hopefully.

Datschge

They changed the cutscene... wasn't expecting them to do that.. guessing it was done for ESRB reasons.. small spoiler for the first hour or so of the game
In the JP version, Laphicet got run through w/ the sword
Good catch. It's also quite a bit longer with that change, and
Velvet running and actually managing to catch him seems more realistically doable this time, the long time on the stick seemed painfully exaggerated in the original

Tohsaka

The producer probably shouldn't have said they weren't going to censor the western version if they were going to do it anyway:

CzLIN_NXgAI3cks.jpg:large

Anoxida

On the fence this time around. I used to love the tales series but Xillia, Zestiria and to a lesser degree graces f has soured me on the series greatly. It looks to me that while Berseria improves on a lot of things it's still cut from the same cloth as Xillia and Zestiria. Jap import threads generally tend to be a lot more positive as well so I don't trust any of you who has played it!

Datschge

The producer probably shouldn't have said they weren't going to censor the western version if they were going to do it anyway
But Velvet is still Velvet just as he promised.
=P

The Western side likely pushed for the change when they noticed that one scene as is would make the game rated adult only in some markets while the release is intended for all markets at once (sans Japan). Starting a shitstorm due to that is just inane.

aitakute

On the fence this time around. I used to love the tales series but Xillia, Zestiria and to a lesser degree graces f has soured me on the series greatly. It looks to me that while Berseria improves on a lot of things it's still cut from the same cloth as Xillia and Zestiria. Jap import threads generally tend to be a lot more positive as well so I don't trust any of you who has played it!
Do you trust Japanese peole's reviews? Because almost all of them were positive too. Or maybe you just can't trust anyone

I've never skipped a modern Tales game since Vesperia and I don't intent to. However I'm going to hold back from buying this game at release due to its close proximity to Nioh, which would be out in like 2 weeks later...there's no way I could complete it before then. And then Persona 5 after that.

Glad to hear that it's doing well though.

Top Bottom