• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP) - official site up [ToP demo is up]

Aru

Always wanted to finish Phantasia, but the only version released in Europe was the crappy GBA remake.

I know this has almost 0 chance to come over here, but I'd gladly buy it.

Bebpo

Banned
It's not Tales of Phantasia ^^;

just like this thread's popularity, nobody cares about Narikiri Dungeon. Hurry up and announce Graces Director's Cut, Vesperia 2, or a new mainline Tales already.

What month did the Tales announcement event get moved to?

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Wow great another japanese PSP title that won't get released in the US. There needs to be another company like Xseed that will take a risk on bringing over all these titles left in Japan. Actually more like 3 or 4 companies.

Bebpo said:
It's not Tales of Phantasia ^^;

just like this thread's popularity, nobody cares about Narikiri Dungeon. Hurry up and announce Graces Director's Cut, Vesperia 2, or a new mainline Tales already.

What month did the Tales announcement event get moved to?
Its both Phantasia and Narikiri Dungeon. Yes, I know they already released it, but they are putting Phantasia again and changing the battle system it seems.

Festival is 5th-6th June but we'll probably have one of those briefings where they lie about what platforms the franchise will focus on, and where they demote previously pushed-as-main-entries games that haven't sold as previous main entries. Maybe a logo or two for new games too.

Oh, 15th anniversary, I really hope we get something as good as for the 10th, just without the rushed polishing Abyss had please.

TheChaos

Silent Death said:
Wow great another japanese PSP title that won't get released in the US. There needs to be another company like Xseed that will take a risk on bringing over all these titles left in Japan. Actually more like 3 or 4 companies.

Namco takes after Nintendo and actively blocks any of their games from being localized by a different third-party company. I remember Vic Ireland asked them if his company could localize Tales of Destiny II, and they flat-out refused.

TheChaos said:
Namco takes after Nintendo and actively blocks any of their games from being localized by a different third-party company. I remember Vic Ireland asked them if his company could localize Tales of Destiny II, and they flat-out refused.

I think this used to be the case, but Retro Game Challenge, Fragile, and Sky Crawlers indicate that this now only applies to Tales games... though the distinction is purely academic here.

The only publishers that still seem to have a blanket ban are Square-Enix and Nintendo, with a couple incredibly rare exceptions for the latter.

Famitsu article up
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1233050_1407.html

Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon
jpgb38.jpg

ayr6va.jpg

15qdnqd.jpg

2emegko.jpg

huk3nl.jpg

1zr2dlf.jpg

Tales of Phantasia
s1kgt5.jpg

8volxi.jpg

16krg3c.jpg

Producer: Ryuuji Odate
Director: Tomomi Masubuchi
Developer: Namco Tales Stuido

Aru

Tales of Phantasia looks the same as in the previous PSP remake, outside of battles.

I wonder how much the battle system has been upgraded ?

SaintZ

Is the Nakiri Dungeon part of the game a remake of the Nakiri Dungeon that came out for the GB?

I have a soft spot for ToP; It was one of the first RPGs I played even if controlling Cless was a pain in the ass. Also, the new logo is awful.

duckroll

SaintZ said:
Is the Nakiri Dungeon part of the game a remake of the Nakiri Dungeon that came out for the GB?

I have a soft spot for ToP; It was one of the first RPGs I played even if controlling Cless was a pain in the ass. Also, the new logo is awful.

Yes, it is a remake of the very first Narikiri Dungeon which took place in the ToP world.

Rpgmonkey

Looks almost like Tales of Destiny PS2. Love the 2D Tales style. :eek:

Really wish they made a 2D mainline game on the PSP now if they're never going to bring the style to current-gen consoles. :(

I really don't like Tales spinoffs, but ND1 seemed to be the odd duck out of them, so this might be interesting. I'll wait and see.

duckroll

Mr.Wuggles said:
does it say who the developer is?

edit: derp, it's right there. wouldn't be surprised if this is by the Hearts team.

I wouldn't put too much stock in "Tales Studio" being listed if I were you. Officially Tales of Versus is by "Tales Studio" too, but it was actually developed by Matrix.

cress2000

The new ToP battle sprites look incredibly out of place. And once again, they aren't even updating all of them. They should just ground-up remake the whole fucking game once more and stop this stupid cycle of ports with marginal "improvements" every several years.

Even with the removal of the spell/summon pausing, I have my doubts it'll magically bring the battle system up to even Eternia's level.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
duckroll said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in "Tales Studio" being listed if I were you. Officially Tales of Versus is by "Tales Studio" too, but it was actually developed by Matrix.

i'm aware of that, but look at the backgrounds and spritework. very Hearts/Destiny R-ish.

duckroll

Mr.Wuggles said:
i'm aware of that, but look at the backgrounds and spritework. very Hearts/Destiny R-ish.

Yes, you do have a point, especially with the battle sprites in the Narikiri Dungeon parts not being SD at all. I'm just saying, it's not definite just because of the developer listing. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait...

http://i40.tinypic.com/s1kgt5.jpg[/img
Thats just before you get controll in ToP, when Chester comes to Cless's house to go hunting...

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/16krg3c.jpg[/img
And thats the opening scene of the game, when those 4 guys are fighting Dhos... Though Cless is there...

Whats going on here? Oh well, I'll find out in 5 years when it gets fan translated. Looks great IMO. The normal over world looks like something from ToE too.

Edit: Oh, I am a fool. The last 3 ARE Tales of Phantasia.

duckroll

Drkirby said:
Whats going on here? Oh well, I'll find out in 5 years when it gets fan translated. Looks great IMO. The normal over world looks like something from ToE too.

What? That's not Cless...

Drkirby said:
Wait...

http://i40.tinypic.com/s1kgt5.jpg[/img
Thats just before you get controll in ToP, when Chester comes to Cless's house to go hunting...

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/16krg3c.jpg[/img
And thats the opening scene of the game, when those 4 guys are fighting Dhos... Though Cless is there...

Whats going on here? [B]Oh well, I'll find out in 5 years [/B]when it gets fan translated. Looks great IMO. The normal over world looks like something from ToE too.

Edit: Oh, I am a fool. The last 3 ARE Tales of Phantasia.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
What? That's not Cless...
16krg3c.jpg

Thats not Cless?

Tales_of_Phantasia_Battle_Screenshot.png

tut5tale.gif

Odd, never noticed how much that guy in the intro looks like Cless's SNES sprite. Most likely because he is on screen for all of 20 seconds. And I dislike how all the characters got redesigned for the remakes, sure, it matched the official artwork, but I liked there original looks.

duckroll

Drkirby said:
Odd, never noticed how much that guy in the intro looks like Cless's SNES sprite. Most likely because he is on screen for all of 20 seconds

Have you ever played ToP? That's a really dumb comment if you've played the game...

Negator

Thinly veiled Bandai Namco hate thread?

It's like every tales thread is like this. I hate them so much, I'm just about ready to give up on the Tales series.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Further attempts to derail the thread will result in casualties. Just saying...
Fine fine, we will talk about the game that will not be in English for 5 years instead of debating stupid plot points of the original.

The overworld reminds me of Hearts, but more of ToE, except its in 3D then 2D.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hopefully the fan community will pick this up for translation, cuz I know Namco sure as hell won't.

How was the one PSP Narikiri dungeon game that actually got localized? I feel bad for never picking it up, even though I own all the other Tales releases in this country.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
djtiesto said:
Hopefully the fan community will pick this up for translation, cuz I know Namco sure as hell won't.
I really doubt it. The GBA version rightly bombed in North America, and they didn't bring over the PSP version, so Namco must not have much faith in the Phantasia name for International sales.

Aru

djtiesto said:

How was the one PSP Narikiri dungeon game that actually got localized? I feel bad for never picking it up, even though I own all the other Tales releases in this country.

Maybe it's similar, but TotW Radiant Mythology isn't a Narikiri Dungeon game.
Unlike this one, there isn't any overworld or town maps. Only cheap and bland random generated dungeons.

duckroll

Yeah it looks like the Tales of Hearts team is working on this one as suspected. The battle programmer and the battle planner are from ToH at least. Haven't checked the other names yet.

john tv

This looks so totally ZZZ to me. Why don't they stop remaking the same shit over and over again and focus on something new and interesting? Sigh.

duckroll

john tv said:
This looks so totally ZZZ to me. Why don't they stop remaking the same shit over and over again and focus on something new and interesting? Sigh.

They did. No one bought them. :p

duckroll

john tv said:
I said new and interesting. Not just new. :)

For most people, Narikiri Dungeon will be new and interesting though. It's an almost PS2 level remake of a GBC game. What's wrong with that? ^^;

The original Narikiri Dungeon is one of the few Tales games I never got a chance to play, having never owned a portable system outside of the Game Gear for many years.

Would love to play it in English, but after so many years of having to figure these games out in their native language I've actually started to remember some of the characters for common skills, which is saying something since my kanji reading skills these days are god awful.

I really hope Phantasia's sprites are a little less short and stubby, but if it plays fluid I guess there isn't too much room to complain.

I will try very hard not to derail this thread even though it brings up so much hate and bile towards Namco's American offices.

Didn't ToP for the GBA get a crap localization anyways? I think that would be reason enough to go at it again, not that they will.

FSLink

Banned
Phantasia unfortunately looks a bit lazy (as usual). At least we get a better Battle UI and no more spell pause apparently. But still...
I hate that they update all the main characters' sprites, but still leave the rest (enemies, characters in the intro) in the old Cabbage Patch kids style.

Compare:
8volxi.jpg

16krg3c.jpg

Though let's hope this one gets brought over because Phantasia: ND is really interesting, and an added Phantasia enhanced port is a nice bonus.
That and so we can forget that the lousy GBA localization ever happened. -_-

Top Bottom