• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP) - official site up [ToP demo is up]

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The ToP:ND remake looks sooooooo good. I kinda wish it was Phantasia that got that treatment the first time it was released on PSP but at least they're including an updated version of it here. Now if only Namco would bring it over. :\

Rpgmonkey

Phantasia actually looks kinda fun now that it's not pausing every 5 seconds. The more they update the main character's battle sprites and nothing, the uglier the game looks though...

Guess the Hearts team will be the ones that handle portable games. A remake is a good way for them to have two major games in one year without both being mothership titles I suppose, assuming they plan on squeezing the Vesperia team's game into Winter.

Looks like a good remake, and I do enjoy a good dungeon crawler.

So why haven't they come out with a 'Tales Fighter' yet? ;)

Edit: oops.. wasn't aware there actually was one

jiggle

mjemirzian said:

because they have?
image-thumb88.png

image-thumb106.png

Cep

Banned
For the love of Christ, will they ever update Phantasia?

How many is this? 1 Snes game and 3 enhanced ports of the psx one?

When they do this again(and it is when, not if) they should have the decency to do it from scratch.

At least we get ND. But knowing our luck, the game will not be released in the US (and I think the fan translators may have gotten tired of translating the same game over and over).

kiryogi

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Looks like a good remake, and I do enjoy a good dungeon crawler.

It's called Tales of Versus and lord it sucks.

Jigsaw

Banned
so this is tales of phantasia 1+2 remakes on one umd?damn you namco,let xseed publish it in english if you dont want to : (

duckroll

Btw, this game uses an Aerial Linear Battle System which continues the trend from ToDr and ToH: no TP, fast paced aerial combos, emotional gauge, etc. :D

kiryogi

Banned
duckroll said:
Btw, this game uses an Aerial Linear Battle System which continues the trend from ToDr and ToH: no TP, fast paced aerial combos, emotional gauge, etc. :D
Hum. EG and not CC?

Rpgmonkey

EBG seems like the EG, just far more balanced.

I was thinking that using an actual percentage (or having the EG consumption of skills scale based on a character's max EG) instead was all they really needed to do to fix much of the "spamminess" of ToH, it's nice to see that they went through with it.

I'm going to assume you can't change costumes mid-battle in real-time. That'd be an awesome gameplay mechanic and would have a ton of potential for unique combos.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
You think being a bundle would give this a better chance to come out here?

Oh, who am I kidding, that's just MORE to localize, MORE reason not to.

R.I.P. Namco, you were great once.

Aru

Cep said:
Looks good.

I suppose we will never get a Tales game with Remake/Desitny 2/Rebirth level of sprite work.

Shame.

Not until Bamco authorizes a third party publisher to grab those.

Rpgmonkey

In new news, a new character was added who's not only playable in ND, but also in ToP. Londrine or something, she looks like a melee fighter in ND, but there are no pics of her in ToP.

There's so little balance/variety in the party for most of the game, so I'm hoping she doesn't pop in around the last few hours of the game like Chester and Suzu. It likely also means more weird shenanigans for the ToP universe/timeline, but whatever interest I had in that was killed off long ago anyway. :p

Now that it seems like they're taking the whole package pretty seriously, I'm actually starting to get interested in this. I just hope the update of ToP's battlesystem isn't totally half-assed and imbalanced...

duckroll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0RhDwOOiw

TV ads have begun!

Other news that some people might have missed:

- Game will be out on 5th Aug in Japan.

- In early July there will be a ToP demo showcasing some new additions to this version. It will be fully voiced, they'll be showing the new character Londrine in ToP itself, and you can get a taste of the faster battle system.

- In late July there will be a Narikiri Dungeon demo showcasing a few costumes and stuff and giving players a taste of the remake itself.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I can count on one hand the amount of import gaffers who care about the Tales of franchise, and that's just for the mainline games.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks alright. Have mine pre-ordered since I never played Narikiri and the original is a legit Team Destiny Tales game.

The 2d on 3d story stuff/dungeons look decent but they seem really plain and low budget compared to the PS2 games in that style. Between that and the animation for battles looking totally non-flashy, it seems like Namco must not have given this a particularly decent budget.

ToP is a waste of space though. How hard would it have been to implement the Ariel XLMB or whatever the latest iteration is called that's in Narikiri into the main ToP game. Giving ToP a good battle system would be a heck of a lot better incentive to replay it than giving it...faster battle speed & 1 new playable character. When I played ToP a few years ago for the first time on the psp version the battle system was dreadful. You really have to endure a terribly dated system to enjoy the rest which is likable.

Gotta finish up ToDr before this comes out in August so I can be caught up on main tales games ^^;

kiryogi

Banned
Placed my preorder as soon as NCSX had it up. Didn't realize there was a new character for the Phantasia universe. What a clusterfuck :lol

Rpgmonkey

Battles seem pretty cool. Seems a lot like Hearts's battlesystem without the DS's limitations holding it back. The Asbel costume is a nice touch, a few more from other Tales games would've been nice (assuming that's the only cameo).

They REALLY need to do a definitive, full-fledged, console remake of Phantasia with the same amount of time and effort they would put into a mainline game, that brings it up to date with the universe it created.

Cep

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Battles seem pretty cool. Seems a lot like Hearts's battlesystem without the DS's limitations holding it back. The Asbel costume is a nice touch, a few more from other Tales games would've been nice (assuming that's the only cameo).

They REALLY need to do a definitive, full-fledged, console remake of Phantasia with the same amount of time and effort they would put into a mainline game, that brings it up to date with the universe it created.

Do not worry, I am sure with 3~4 remakes they make inside the next 10 years, at least one of them will be decent.

Yazuka

And there is no chance in hell this will see a release outside of Japan right? FFS, Namco bring them over. Guess I'll have to start study Japanese soon.

kiryogi

Banned
Yazuka said:
And there is no chance in hell this will see a release outside of Japan right? FFS, Namco bring them over. Guess I'll have to start study Japanese soon.
If you really love tales, you would have came to this conclusion years ago. Importing is the only way to go for a majority of the releases. Especially Team Destiny titles.

MechaX

Yazuka said:

At this point, you would make more progress by importing and playing blind, importing and playing with a translation guide, or simply waiting for a fan translation (although the Tales fan-translation projects are notoriously slow, it's still a better alternative than waiting for a Namco localization).

BluWacky

duckroll said:
http://topndx.namco-ch.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtffCJPnwFs

They finally opened up the Systems page for the ToP port. There's a video showing the faster and improved modifications made to the battle system. Looks.... a little promising... maybe.

Actually, that doesn't look too bad. I haven't played Phantasia since the SNES version but battles certainly look a lot closer to something like Eternia at least.

Stupid question, but is this an enhanced version of the PSP full voice edition they did a couple of years back or "just" a spruced up Playstation port? The number of different iterations of Phantasia is a little confusing off the top of my head...

duckroll

BluWacky said:
Stupid question, but is this an enhanced version of the PSP full voice edition they did a couple of years back or "just" a spruced up Playstation port? The number of different iterations of Phantasia is a little confusing off the top of my head...

It's an enhanced version of the PSP Full Voice Edition. :)

Sagitario

I would love to replay ToP with the improved battle system, as long as the timing isn't as bad as Eternia [even though I enjoyed GBA ToP :lol ]...

Datschge

duckroll said:
It's an enhanced version of the PSP Full Voice Edition. :)
According to the blog the battle improvements are done by Climax which also did the Wallbreaker minigame in ToVS. Wallbreaker was widely considered more fun than the main game by Matrix, but Climax barely got credited since Wallbreaker had it's own mine staff listing screen. Anyway the producer claims Climax was picked to bring Wallbreaker and ToE like battle speed to ToP or something like that.

Sagitario

Datschge said:
According to the blog the battle improvements are done by Climax which also did the Wallbreaker minigame in ToVS. Wallbreaker was widely considered more fun than the main game by Matrix, but Climax barely got credited since Wallbreaker had it's own mine staff listing screen. Anyway the producer claims Climax was picked to bring Wallbreaker and ToE like battle speed to ToP or something like that.

That's interesting...
They should release Wallbreaker on DSiware or PSP minis or something...

duckroll

The official site has updated with a video of the new playable character in ToP (she's playable in both Narikiri Dungeon and in ToP, but the video is in the ToP Systems section). It also shows how much faster the ToP battle engine is now in much more detail. I'm looking forward to trying to demo tomorrow! :D

jRPG

How will one go about getting the demo? Will I need a Japanese PSN account, or will it appear online somewhere?

Top Bottom