• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP) - official site up [ToP demo is up]

Rpgmonkey

Crap, keep forgetting the demo is tomorrow and not today. Saw her twitter post about it coming tomorrow and got confused for a second.

I really want to see how ToP's updates hold up.

jRPG said:
How will one go about getting the demo? Will I need a Japanese PSN account, or will it appear online somewhere?

It'll be on PSN and it appears that you can download it off the official website.

duckroll

Finished the demo. Pretty impressed with the improvements. The battles are MUCH faster with Cless not running back after every attack or move, and magic not pausing the game at all. In general the mobility and playability is greatly improved and you get more TP back after a battle. The downside is that the game still has TP. The improvements to the battle engine definitely encourage more use of special attacks to end the battles even faster, but the fact that TP limits that is a drag. They did a good job with what they had to work with though.

Rpgmonkey

Ugh, hadn't touched my PSP in months, had to both update and charge it. :lol

The only versions of ToP I've ever played were the SFC and GBA versions, so this is an improvement in just about every way over what I've played. The lack of constant pauses makes things a lot smoother, it's about at Eternia's pace now, but with much tighter controls. Something about it still feels "stiffer" than Eternia though, maybe it's just the animations.

But eh, it's Phantasia. It made some cool improvements, but I never really cared for the game much anyway.

And I still hate TP in Tales games. >:|

kiryogi

Banned
urgh it's Phantasia alright. I can't really stand playing this :/ Too far dated. Great in it's time but not today.

Bebpo

Banned
Tried the demo. Battle system feels totally different. Gone is the stiff choppy feeling and instead is a nice smooth battle system. Gives me a little hope that the Narikiri system may turn out alright.

Sprites are still kind of super old and ghetto and outside of battle it looks like a SNES game stretched to a PSP screen. Zero interest in ever replaying ToP like this, but the battle system is definitely an improvement.

Top Bottom