• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Shahed

I guess certain voice actors may appear to suit specifc roles. But I'm getting bad Cheria vibes from Bailey's performance with Marta. She seems to get that kind of role a lot, and it's near always aggravating. The only time I think I didn't mind it so much was Rise in Persona 4, but even then only in small doses. Marta is constant though. Even Cheria wasn't always that annoying since she was fine whenever she forgot Asbel was around

I guess I don't have to listen to all the skits, but as much as I might want to strangle Marta, having full voiced skits again is nice. I actually watch them now instead of skipping the ones in the first game

(DotNW)
Is Kratos even in DotNW? I don't remember him there, unless it was a tiny cameo or something.

IIRC there's a small cameo scene you can see on a second play through

Kratos narrates the intro as well

Seda

I guess certain voice actors may appear to suit specifc roles. But I'm getting bad Cheria vibes from Bailey's performance with Marta. She seems to get that kind of role a lot, and it's near always aggravating. The only time I think I didn't mind it so much was Rise in Persona 4, but even then only in small doses. Marta is constant though. Even Cheria wasn't always that annoying since she was fine whenever she forgot Asbel was around

I honestly don't really like Baileys voice much at all, too bad she's so prevalent in numerous games.

Shahed

I honestly don't really like Baileys voice much at all, too bad she's so prevalent in numerous games.
I think it's for that type of character I don't like her performances. She's alright when voicing older characters like Kaine, Lust and Catherine. Even Reimi was largely okay despite being a similar character, and Serah was fine as well. It's her younger roles that I have trouble dealing with

Seda, you just spoke my truest of truths.

*high-five*

I actually don't mind her in some stuff like her as Kaine from Nier and Helena from RE6, but most everything just makes me be over her as soon as the character speaks. The same goes for Troy.

SaintZ

IIRC there's a small cameo scene you can see on a second play through
He also narrates the opening scene like in the first game, no? I haven't played DoTNW since release so I'm not sure.

ETA: BEATEN.

Oh and I really like Laura Bailey, but I liked Marta in the game so what do I know.

Yawnier

Banned
I think I'm in the home stretch of this now

I just got Lloyd's fire and ice swords at Dirk's house. I take it there is only a few hours left in the main story?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think I'm in the home stretch of this now

I just got Lloyd's fire and ice swords at Dirk's house. I take it there is only a few hours left in the main story?
Yeah, you're almost there; you're like at the point where you're tired of fighting enemies and want to rush the finale.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah, you're almost there; you're like at the point where you're tired of fighting enemies and want to rush the finale.

Haha. I half don't want the game to end since it's been really good ever since the arrival in Tethe'alla and meeting the rest of the characters there, but on the other hand after almost 50 hours I think I've had my fill of Tales for the time being and I just want to see the ending at this point.

Yawnier

Banned
Just finished ToS, it took about ~50 or so hours. I didn't do a whole lot of side stuff to be honest.

Great game, great ending. Going to take a break before heading back into Xillia.

So in the Symphonia port, how does
Colette learn Grand Cross? I beat Pronyma a while back, and Colette's been in every battle since reaching the correct level. The move still hasn't been activated in battle, though.

EDIT: I finally got it.

PKrockin

So in the Symphonia port, how does
Colette learn Grand Cross? I beat Pronyma a while back, and Colette's been in every battle since reaching the correct level. The move still hasn't been activated in battle, though.
It should activate randomly on spellcasting. Increase her Luck (Rabbit's Foot/sleeping at inns) and keep trying.

Well, I picked this up for $30 at BB today.

That's $1 per frame!

:p

Edit:

Played a little. The 30fps isn't that bad.

Edit 2;

What?! Why is Dawn 60fps? What is this atrocity?!

Persona7

Banned

That's $1 per frame!

Edit:

Edit 2;

This is a port of the PS2 version which is 30FPS and has the extra content. Who knows, maybe they could not integrate the extra content into the gamecube version. Maybe they did not even try.

Gamecube version : 60 FPS

PS2 version : 30 FPS with extra content -> Ported to PS3

The PS2 could barely handle this game and had severe framedrops anyway. If they had ported the gamecube version people would complain about the missing extra content. The two versions of the game are drastically different builds.

I am not sure but I think dawn was 60FPS on the wii.

Eusis

That's $1 per frame!

Edit:

Edit 2;

Finally, I have the answer to my question.

And this likely comes down to which version they ported for each: ToS was the PS2 version and as such got stuck with 30 FPS for some dumbshit reason rather than them pulling a Capcom and trying to mix the two versions together, while Dawn only had the Wii version that likely aimed for 60 at least in combat and so PS3 easily got 60 FPS. It's part of why this collection was CE or bust for me while if it were a GREAT port I might have bothered with even the vanilla version.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
So can anybody recommend a good strategy for fighting Mithos, Kratos, and Yuan? I forgot to fight them during my first playthrough and they sorta wipe the floor with me. Is it best to take out Mithos as quickly as possible since he spams Prism Sword and Ray or focus on Kratos and Yuan?

Seda

So can anybody recommend a good strategy for fighting Mithos, Kratos, and Yuan? I forgot to fight them during my first playthrough and they sorta wipe the floor with me. Is it best to take out Mithos as quickly as possible since he spams Prism Sword and Ray or focus on Kratos and Yuan?

All Divide helped me a lot. And yeah I definitely went for Mithos first.

Shahed

I'd unlock the Devil's Arms first. I made the mistake of doing that later. Would have made the final dungeon and the bosses along the way so much faster. All Divide was necessary though for me

I haven't been on NeoGAF the past month or so, because I've been playing Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I have more than 100 hours into it again.

I have both a collector's edition and a normal edition. It feels really nice to have Japanese audio without having to use an undub. I already have the Gamecube and PlayStation 2 versions of the game, so I suppose it shouldn't be so special, since I could already play it anyway. And in HD with Dolphin or PCSX2. But it's been a great reason to want to rediscover the game again and I've been spending all of my freetime playing it.

I've heard people say that there are flaws with the port. But it hasn't really been that noticeable to me. I still love this game so much. And I'm happy to say that I have more than 100 hours into the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Is there a noticeable difference between the fluidity of the ps3 and GameCube versions since they are different framerates?

I know namco probably won't do it but would it really be that difficult to patch the ps3 version so the framerates is 60?

PKrockin

Is there a noticeable difference between the fluidity of the ps3 and GameCube versions since they are different framerates?

I know namco probably won't do it but would it really be that difficult to patch the ps3 version so the framerates is 60?
It is noticeable. I don't know how difficult it would be to patch, all I can say is the PS3 version is adapted from the PS2 engine which was probably designed from the beginning to be 30fps.

Zafir

Seda, you just spoke my truest of truths.

*high-five*

I actually don't mind her in some stuff like her as Kaine from Nier and Helena from RE6, but most everything just makes me be over her as soon as the character speaks. The same goes for Troy.
Yep, same for me. It's just unfortunate that they always seem to do the same annoying voice. Probably voice directions fault. It makes me sigh every time I see either Troy or Bailey in something, and that seems to be nearly everything lately.

Protag

Banned
Finished it just 15 minutes ago.

I adore this game, ending anime sequence looked greaaaaaat in HD. Even better than when i first saw it 10 years ago.

Symphonia is probably THE best tales of. That final fight, mithos using his mystic arte on me, ffuuuuuuu so good. Felt bad for him, he was a person who lost his way. Haaa man, amazin just how i remembered it.

I finished my Symphonia playthrough yesterday. It's definitely a barebones port, but I still enjoyed revisiting the game. It was nice to actually fight Abyssion and Seles this time.

I also started Dawn of the New World last night. This is my first time through, so the combat took some getting used to after just playing Symphonia. I just got out of the Underground Ruins below Asgard and the boss fight was pretty annoying. While Chapter 2 hasn't been great by any stretch, it's still a massive improvement over Chapter 1, which was probably one of the worst introductions I've played in an RPG.

Seda

I finished my Symphonia playthrough yesterday. It's definitely a barebones port, but I still enjoyed revisiting the game. It was nice to actually fight Abyssion and Seles this time.

I also started Dawn of the New World last night. This is my first time through, so the combat took some getting used to after just playing Symphonia. I just got out of the Underground Ruins below Asgard and the boss fight was pretty annoying. While Chapter 2 hasn't been great by any stretch, it's still a massive improvement over Chapter 1, which was probably one of the worst introductions I've played in an RPG.

Indeed. I think Dawn of the New World is an alright game - a step or two down from the top Tales titles, but not totally terrible. But the introduction is about as awful as you can get.

Yawnier

Banned
Finished it just 15 minutes ago.

I adore this game, ending anime sequence looked greaaaaaat in HD. Even better than when i first saw it 10 years ago.

Symphonia is probably THE best tales of. That final fight, mithos using his mystic arte on me, ffuuuuuuu so good. Felt bad for him, he was a person who lost his way. Haaa man, amazin just how i remembered it.

It was sort of scary how similar Mithos and Lloyd were to each other, but how different they were in their ideals at the same time (not sure how else to put it in words, haha). The last few hours of the game was amazing though.

I`m playing through Graces f right now myself, and I don`t find it has the same charm that ToS has but it`s still decent and the battle system really opens up later on in the main arc.

Indeed. I think Dawn of the New World is an alright game - a step or two down from the top Tales titles, but not totally terrible. But the introduction is about as awful as you can get.
Would you say most of the game is closer to Chapter 2 or Chapter 1, storywise? If it's closer to 2 I should be able to make it through without too many issues. If it goes back to being like Chapter 1... well, at least I'll get some good laughs.
It was sort of scary how similar Mithos and Lloyd were to each other, but how different they were in their ideals at the same time (not sure how else to put it in words, haha). The last few hours of the game was amazing though.
Mithos is probably still my favorite Tales villain. As unlikely as it is, I really wish we'd get a mainline Symphonia prequel one day with Mithos' group as the protagonists. The game would be amazing for the ending, alone.

Seda

Would you say most of the game is closer to Chapter 2 or Chapter 1, storywise? If it's closer to 2 I should be able to make it through without too many issues. If it goes back to being like Chapter 1... well, at least I'll get some good laughs.

Mithos is probably still my favorite Tales villain. As unlikely as it is, I really wish we'd get a mainline Symphonia prequel one day with Mithos' group as the protagonists. The game would be amazing for the ending, alone.

I don't think it ever gets as cheesy/campy/eyeroll-worthy as the first chapter is again. Some of the plot points surrounding the conclusion are honestly pretty silly, and somewhat confusing. It takes a while for Emil/Marta to be even a little likable, but luckily Sheena/Regal stick around for a while early on which helps to ground the cast a bit.

And my favorite Tales antagonist by far /is/ the one in DotNW. I haven't gotten around to this HD port yet, but I want to see if my stance on him changes or not.

I just started Chapter 3 in Dawn of the New World and the quests are already feeling pretty repetitive. Do they ever get more varied, or are they pretty much the same for the rest of the game?

Finalow

uhm, regarding the important scene near the end of the game where some characters comes to Lloyd's room, I didn't get
Kratos, I read that "he's gonna show after a couple of characters" but I rejected everyone and in the end Lloyd went out automatically with Raine.
How did I miss that?

also, are there multiple endings?

Seda

uhm, regarding the important scene near the end of the game where some characters comes to Lloyd's room, I didn't get
Kratos, I read that "he's gonna show after a couple of characters" but I rejected everyone and in the end Lloyd went out automatically with Raine.
How did I miss that?

also, are there multiple endings?

That was changed in the PS2 version. Now he has to be in your top 3 affection point values to show up. There aren't really multiple endings, a couple of scenes change depending on which party member is the one you go out with in Flanoir, but it doesn't significantly affect anything. Except if you go with Kratos, which will affect a boss battle.

Finalow

That was changed in the PS2 version. Now he has to be in your top 3 affection point values to show up. There aren't really multiple endings, a couple of scenes change depending on which party member is the one you go out with in Flanoir, but it doesn't significantly affect anything. Except if you go with Kratos, which will affect a boss battle.
oh, that explains why he didn't show up. ok, thanks.

I finished Dawn of the New World a couple of days ago. It's definitely a lot weaker than the mainline Tales games I've played, but I still enjoyed it. The final chapter was easily my favorite section, but a lot of game seemed like missed potential to me. I didn't start getting invested until the game was already almost over. If some of the character and plot developments had been introduced earlier on and built up over a longer period of time, the game might have felt a bit less uneven.
Just as one example, the entire party from Symphonia finally joining up felt like awesome payoff until I remembered the game was practically over. I think it would have worked better if that happened around Chapter 6.

The final chapter still didn't make up for how awful Chapter 1 was. Even after the first chapter was over, there was still some cringeworthy dialogue sprinkled through the rest of the game. There were also a few too many conflicts based on miscommunication for my liking.

Tenebrae and Richter were easily the best new characters. Even if Richter seemed a bit too similar to Kratos early on, he became more unique as the game progressed.

Emil and Marta were definitely annoying for the first few chapters. While they both got alright by the end, I still didn't find myself liking them nearly as much as the protagonists in other Tales games.

I never quite got as used to the combat as I have in other entries and the monster mechanic felt pretty shallow, but the gameplay was passable for the most part. The quests got repetitive really quick, though.

As a side-entry the game is passable, and I'd only recommend buying it if you've already gone through every mainline Tales game you're able to play and still need a fix. While I doubt I'll ever go back to it, I'm still glad I played it once.

Zalman

So what is the best way to experience this game? GameCube or PS3? I've wanted to play it for a while and decided to wait for the PS3 version, but I've heard mixed things about it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So what is the best way to experience this game? GameCube or PS3? I've wanted to play it for a while and decided to wait for the PS3 version, but I've heard mixed things about it.

Gamecube version tbh. 60fps on combat, it doesnt have the translation fuck ups it has one the new one and while it might miss some content (Ps2 content) its the better version still.

FSLink

Banned
Gamecube version tbh. 60fps on combat, it doesnt have the translation fuck ups it has one the new one and while it might miss some content (Ps2 content) its the better version still.

Agreed though if you grab the PS3 version for cheap thanks to the PSN sale going on right now, it's not a bad decision.

Pics_nao

Either I'm remembering wrong or is there not a lot of voiced scenes in ToS? I just started and outside of the intro, every scene isn't voiced. Just got to Martel Temple and I was pretty sure that everything up till now was voiced. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong. >_>

FSLink

Banned
Either I'm remembering wrong or is there not a lot of voiced scenes in ToS? I just started and outside of the intro, every scene isn't voiced. Just got to Martel Temple and I was pretty sure that everything up till now was voiced. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong. >_>

Nah not every scene is voiced, even in the original versions.

PKrockin

Yeah, some of the story scenes aren't voiced. That one with a priest dying isn't voiced but the one right after when you meet and hire Kratos is. I thought that the Japanese PS2 version had more voiced scenes but I may be thinking of Vesperia.

RPGCrazied

I finally start Dawn of The New World(haven't played it before), and gosh Emil sure is whiney. Please tell me he gets better? So far he seems like another version of Collette. He is always saying "I'm sorry!"

Seda

I finally start Dawn of The New World(haven't played it before), and gosh Emil sure is whiney. Please tell me he gets better? So far he seems like another version of Collette. He is always saying "I'm sorry!"

As TheGreatLugia has discussed in this thread (and I've brought it up several times as well when this game is a topic of conversation), the first chapter is unbelievably awful in almost every respect. The game and characters do get better - although never really great. Emil mans up just a little, but nothing significant. As I mentioned earlier, I feel that when the ToS cast comes around (like Sheena/Regal) I think they help to add balance to the roster.

Except the dry-humored Tenebrae is typically pretty great.

Seda

8Ge6kWN.png

Got back around to this finally.

Dawn of the New World has lots of really silly plot points:

-Finding a baby dragon to break a Garuda's defenses
-Using Tenebrae as a fishing pole to catch a turtle to distract a monster in Triet Ruins
-Pretending to turn in Regal to the vanguard so he can use his hi-tech handcuffs to disable their security
-A golem being equipped with a self-destruct bomb that 'kills' tenebrae
-A town emergency dealing with a frog eating seafood gels
-Everything dealing with Decus's cologne
-Stuffing Marta into an iron maiden to get through a vanguard checkpoint, persuading them not to check inside because it is 'cursed'
-Tenebrae turning into Celsius to distract guards

Anyways, I still maintain that Richter is one of the series's better, if not best, antagonist.

Dawn of the New World definitely has its issues, but I've never seen it as 'worst JRPG ever' that I have seen thrown about at times. It's really a bummer that the ToS cast is practically useless in battle, especially on higher difficulties.

Holmes

Does anyone know if a character can get their swimsuit title twice in subsequent playthroughs? If Colette gets it in the first playthrough, and then she's somehow still in my top 2 in my second playthrough, does she get it again? Or is it bumped down to the next person?

Top Bottom