• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

redhairedking

I've played both before so I decided to start with DotNW and am actually enjoying it so far. Don't get me wrong, it's got nothing on Abyss or Hearts R, but it isn't as bad as I remembered it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Enjoyed Symphomia, after 5 hours with DotNW this is going back to gamefly. Emil's horribly whiny voice and the fact im not much into monster raising means this is a no.
Awwwww helllll nawwww, you did not just diss Johnny Yong Bosch.

Holmes

Not getting the CE, but I did get my hands on the steelbook case, which doesn't take as much place on the shelf and is just as pretty. <3

Seda

lihz5Qk.png

wahoo

Roto13

Enjoyed Symphomia, after 5 hours with DotNW this is going back to gamefly. Emil's horribly whiny voice and the fact im not much into monster raising means this is a no.

Emil is the worst. The worst. He spends the first hour of the game trying to work up the balls to thank someone. I will never play Dawn of the New World again and it is almost entirely because of that whiny little turd.

PKrockin

Emil isn't the worst. Marta is, for fawning over Emil 24/7 for no fucking reason.

Even I don't think I can sit through DotNW's atrocious beginning again. I think I'll listen to the soundtrack and then order Legendia since it'll be a while before Xillia 2 comes out.

Shadownet

Banned
Hey guys, I need to reach Rodyle at level 36 to get the Gung-Ho title.

Some people online suggest that I avoid random battles which I have been doing, and start killing off party members in required battles so they don't gain the exp. I can't go over level 36.

So my question is, what's the best way to kill off party member? Control them yourselves? Equip weak weapons for them?

HawthorneKitty

Hey guys, I need to reach Rodyle at level 36 to get the Gung-Ho title.

Some people online suggest that I avoid random battles which I have been doing, and start killing off party members in required battles so they don't gain the exp. I can't go over level 36.

So my question is, what's the best way to kill off party member? Control them yourselves? Equip weak weapons for them?
Yeah, just set them to Manual and watch them die.

Shadownet

Banned
Thanks for the tip!

Have anyone gotta the Gung-Ho title yet?
(On the PS3 version obviously, not GameCube or PS2.)

I'm trying to do this on the first play through. I really don't want to have to play through this game 2 more times. One on mania mode and one more on normal mode with 1/2 exp just for this stupid title.

Toki767

I'm like 6-7 hours into the game. Just got done with Palmacosta ranch or whatever. I'm so bored. This game gets more interesting right?

Combat and music are great though.

HawthorneKitty

I'm like 6-7 hours into the game. Just got done with Palmacosta ranch or whatever. I'm so bored. This game gets more interesting right?

Combat and music are great though.
If you think racism is interesting, sure it does.
Thanks for the tip!

Have anyone gotta the Gung-Ho title yet?
(On the PS3 version obviously, not GameCube or PS2.)

I'm trying to do this on the first play through. I really don't want to have to play through this game 2 more times. One on mania mode and one more on normal mode with 1/2 exp just for this stupid title.
If you're not going for the plat, I'm not sure why you're going after Gung ho...

luokyl

As someone who played a gimped version of this game originally (Pal50), I don't remember the game being this bad!

The game has this weird intermittent stutter on the world map, and the entire world map perspective feels strange. And I don't remember the run in towns being limited to 8 directions! The audio clips sound incredibly hissy.

Have I just forgotten how limited the original was or is there a bunch of problems in this port?

FSLink

Banned
As someone who played a gimped version of this game originally (Pal50), I don't remember the game being this bad!

The game has this weird intermittent stutter on the world map, and the entire world map perspective feels strange. And I don't remember the run in towns being limited to 8 directions! The audio clips sound incredibly hissy.

Have I just forgotten how limited the original was or is there a bunch of problems in this port?
There were a bunch of problems in the Japanese PS2 port as far as the world map goes. The PS3 port is based off that one.

PKrockin

Wha? Uh, you are using the analog stick, right?

Yeesh, this game aged a bit worse than I thought it would. Definitely kind of difficult to get used the hang of again after playing more recent games. I stopped with ToS after about an hour but started DotNW up and am finding it much easier to get into.

Finalow

Raine should definitely go T-type for healing spells but I find the S-type attack buff (Acuteness?) more useful and Holy Lance is probably way better for single targets than Ray.
interesting, I think I'm going to do this now - Raine T-type. (iirc I have an item that can change that)

who's better, Regal or Zelos? I'm trying to use 2 melee 2 caster strategy. but then again, I probably shouldn't care since the game hasn't really been much hard so far.

I should be around 60% of the game,
I'm in the Renegades base
and holy fuck, ship's controls are so god damn awful.
also my reaction to most of the scenes > lol. last one was
Colette being kidnapped by Rodyle.
whatever, I'll just stop caring.

just beat the game for the first time today. I've beaten tales of xillia and tales of the abyss. Symphonia is ok but it drags alot and has alot of filler similar to abyss. Voice acting was pretty good for the most part. Some of the dungeon puzzles really killed the pacing of the game, but overall i'd give TOS a 8.5/10. Solid RPG but Xillia still remains my favorite Tales game.

Shadownet

Banned
Because you'd need to basically go through it 3 times to plat anyways...

Well I just beat the Ice Temple. and 4 of my characters combined are at 144. So if I can avoid all battles, I can go to Palmacosta Ranch next and beat Rodyle. So It look like I will be able to do this in 2 playthroughs. thank god.

Biker19

Banned
Wait, so they kept the ps2 version's 30fps in the HD rerelease? What the fuck?

What a fucking fraud. 30fps? Really? Screenshots look pretty bad, too.

Agreed. Namco must've just done a straight port of the PS2 version, used the Gamecube fonts for translation, increased the resolution, & said, "Here you go guys, a HD version of Symphonia!".

So lazy, even though PS3 is clearly more powerful enough for 60 FPS on older games like this.

PKrockin

interesting, I think I'm going to do this now - Raine T-type. (iirc I have an item that can change that)

who's better, Regal or Zelos? I'm trying to use 2 melee 2 caster strategy. but then again, I probably shouldn't care since the game hasn't really been much hard so far.

I should be around 60% of the game,
I'm in the Renegades base
and holy fuck, ship's controls are so god damn awful.
also my reaction to most of the scenes > lol. last one was
Colette being kidnapped by Rodyle.
whatever, I'll just stop caring.

I would say Zelos is better overall, although Regal's AI seems better. Problem with Regal is he can't really handle groups of enemies.

Shahed

Well I just beat the Ice Temple. and 4 of my characters combined are at 144. So if I can avoid all battles, I can go to Palmacosta Ranch next and beat Rodyle. So It look like I will be able to do this in 2 playthroughs. thank god.

Have you played the game before? At some point late on you have to make a choice. Depending on the choice you'll get titles and maybe an item. 3 of these items are unique so you have to do 3 playthroughs no matter what if going for plat simply for the collectors book alone. Normally I think you'd need 4 (or 5?) playthroughs for all the titles, but I think that can be done in 3 if you save and reload well

Shadownet

Banned
Have you played the game before? At some point late on you have to make a choice. Depending on the choice you'll get titles and maybe an item. 3 of these items are unique so you have to do 3 playthroughs no matter what if going for plat simply for the collectors book alone. Normally I think you'd need 4 (or 5?) playthroughs for all the titles, but I think that can be done in 3 if you save and reload well

I finished the game before. But that was like 10 years ago. And I didn't get all the titles. I just did it once.

Update: finally got Gung-Ho title. Along with I Hate Gels, Brave Soul and Friendship First. Thank god that's over.

Bladenic

I'm using Lloyd, Raine, Presea and Zelos, and enemies are getting wrecked.

Pretty much the best party right here. Regal could take either Presea or Zelos' spot, but Presea is a bit stronger and tankier, while Zelos has the benefit of fitting in multiple roles.

Ultimadrago

My team has always been Lloyd (Me), Genis (Sister), Raine, [Insert character here] (Decoy. Usually a household friend's favorite or Sheena for A.I. )

PKrockin

Presea with Glory and a Black Onyx gives no fucks about getting hit, she will take heat from 4 enemies and knock them the fuck out with Mass Devastations and Beasts.

Finalow

I used Presea for a couple of bosses and it worked quite well. time to get the fuck out my active party, Genis.

uh, mystic artes, I've onlye found 3 of them (Lloyd, Colette and Genis), did I miss all the other or those 3 are the only ones that get a mystic arte? Also are they supposed to be some sort of "hidden" tech or what? I mean, the game didn't mention them at all.

PKrockin

I used Presea for a couple of bosses and it worked quite well. time to get the fuck out my active party, Genis.

uh, mystic artes, I've onlye found 3 of them (Lloyd, Colette and Genis), did I miss all the other or those 3 are the only ones that get a mystic arte? Also are they supposed to be some sort of "hidden" tech or what? I mean, the game didn't mention them at all.
They seemed like they were intended to be secrets in the original release. Of course now Namco screwed this up by making Mystic Artes such a big part of the marketing yet there are no clear indications when or how you can do them.

I can't stand the requirements for Lloyd's MA.
Oh... yeah, pushing all three buttons at the same time is probably going to be tough on the awful DS3 pad.

Oh... yeah, pushing all three buttons at the same time is probably going to be tough on the awful DS3 pad.

I almost did it twice. The first time, I forgot that you need to have a specific title on Lloyd (da fuck). The second time, I had everything right, and pushed the buttons a second after Raine healed me out of red health.

Finalow

ok, I just read that the PS2 version has at least one mystic arte for every character, so does this one. then I guess that it was just the gc version to have only those 3 mystic artes.
and yeah, Lloyd's ma is stupid, I won't even try.

PKrockin

I almost did it twice. The first time, I forgot that you need to have a specific title on Lloyd (da fuck). The second time, I had everything right, and pushed the buttons a second after Raine healed me out of red health.
You don't need to equip the title on Lloyd, you just need to have reached the point in the story where he gets the title.

If you want a surefire way to do it, assuming this still works in the port, you can start holding block, start holding attack, then press tech once he's back to the blocking animation. I've never done this myself since it was easy enough on the GC pad but it should work.

Top Bottom