• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

RPGCrazied

Beat ToS in 55 hours, not even all side stuff done. This is one long game, I just forgot how long. Now to read the novel in the CE. Going to have to wait on Dawn of The New World until after I play through FFX and X-2 HD. Probably be awhile. lol

th4tguy

Beat ToS in 55 hours, not even all side stuff done. This is one long game, I just forgot how long. Now to read the novel in the CE. Going to have to wait on Dawn of The New World until after I play through FFX and X-2 HD. Probably be awhile. lol

I'm 22 hours into TOS. Just got to
the part where I'm about to enter the other dimension/ world.

How much time do I have? May have to put the 2nd TOS till after I finish stick of truth...

Jinto

I'm planning on starting TOS soon. I have both the GC version and this one. I've never played it before. Which one should I start with?

Seda

I'm 22 hours into TOS. Just got to
the part where I'm about to enter the other dimension/ world.

How much time do I have? May have to put the 2nd TOS till after I finish stick of truth...

That's around 30-40% through. Not quite half.

FSLink

Banned
That's what I was thinking, I haven't gotten to it in this release though.

I thought it was too floaty, and sound effects in the game suck. Spells also are pretty lame looking too, so I always preferred Symphonia 1's battle system over it minus the free run.

I thought it was too floaty, and sound effects in the game suck. Spells also are pretty lame looking too, so I always preferred Symphonia 1's battle system over it minus the free run.

This is pretty much my issue. It just doesn't have that "oomph" that I feel Symphonia has. I'm fine with the free run, but I really don't like how much of a pause there is between standard combos. It seems like after you do the last hit you're left open for much longer than the first game and blocking isn't as responsive so you get hit more often.

I went right from a few hours of playing DotNW to Xillia and it was so nice to have that fast combat and free running.

Also, I really dislike the 'taming' system. It feels like the monsters are just there for cannon fodder while you do the real damage. I've never really liked this type of thing outside of Ni no Kuni or Pokemon though, so I can't really hold it against the game.

FSLink

Banned
Also, I really dislike the 'taming' system. It feels like the monsters are just there for cannon fodder while you do the real damage. I've never really liked this type of thing outside of Ni no Kuni or Pokemon though, so I can't really hold it against the game.
Yeah, the monsters suck. They're a bit more useful in Narikiri Dungeon X and in that you can even control them on a New Game Plus.

It just felt like they took Abyss's battle system and made some unnecessary changes to the juggling and hit stun. It feels like every hit you do the enemy's going to drop out, and it doesn't help that Emil has horrible synergy with the rest of the team since he just juggles the combos on his own and does his own thing. He's a lot like Judith, fun to play solo, but fuck trying to get something going like in Abyss or Symphonia where you keep them in hit stun so your mages can hit them with spells.

PKrockin

Plus the elemental grid/Unison Attack system is garbage.

Unused GRADE is lost, right?
1. You keep any grade not spent in the grade shop
2. Grade used in the grade shop will be returned to you on your next NG+
3. Grade spent on EX Gems and materials won't be returned to you

edit: lol that's what I get for getting distracted in the middle of writing replies

Link Man

Banned
Spent GRADE is refunded to you when you reach the GRADE shop again.

Unspent GRADE is directly transferred to a NG+.

EDIT: GRADE used at the Katz or shopkeepers in the game is lost for good.

Huh, did not know this. Only beat the game once.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ah thanks. Regarding Zelos and
Kratos, after the Flanoir scene, Kratos immediately bumps up to my party's-ish level, right? Trying to hit 100 without 10x sucks.

PKrockin

Ah thanks. Regarding Zelos and
Kratos, after the Flanoir scene, Kratos immediately bumps up to my party's-ish level, right? Trying to hit 100 without 10x sucks.

Yeah. Party members will only join at a fixed level until Raine first joins, I think. After that they should always join and re-join at around the average level of the party.

Saiyan-Rox

hey everyone

after being hit with a massive bill for this month i've had to sell some things and one of em is gonna have to be the CE of this I have so is anyone interested? (i hope I can do this here) I do have it on ebay atm for more than it's worth but i'd give it to someone off here for the RRP (which is £70) plus 5 quid P&P making it £75

If i can't do this then by all means lmk and i'll remove the post but thought someone on here would like a chance at getting it :) but i'd have to restrict it to UK buyers only tho, sorry!

lucky thing i have the games on PSN lol haven't had much play time tho only just got upto the first seal in the desert >< south park and college is eating at my time lol

romulus91

i am absolutely loving my first play through... this game holds up surprisingly and i am not sure why

question: what in the hell affects grade ?

PKrockin

i am absolutely loving my first play through... this game holds up surprisingly and i am not sure why

question: what in the hell affects grade ?
The things I'm aware of:

+ Blocking an attack and blocking with magic guard (+0.01 and +0.02 respectively each time)
+ Finishing a battle with full HP or TP (+0.25 each stat for each character)
+ Using a Unison Attack (+0.50?)
+ Finishing within 15 seconds
+ Get a high hit combo
- Get hit (-0.01 each time)
- Use an item
- Party member dies (each time, -0.50 for AI controlled, -1 for player controlled)
- End a battle with someone KO'd or with a status effect (-0.50 for each)
- Hit an enemy with an element it's resistant to
- Enemy gets a high hit combo

Earned grade is also multiplied by like 0.5 if your level is way higher than the enemies'.

romulus91

The things I'm aware of:

+ Blocking an attack and blocking with magic guard (+0.01 and +0.02 respectively each time)
+ Get a high hit combo
- Use an item
- Party member dies (each time, -0.50 for AI controlled, -1 for player controlled)

Earned grade is also multiplied by like 0.5 if your level is way higher than the enemies'.

wow thanks :)! that is more complex than i thought..... any recommendations on which party is ideal? 5 hours in

khaaan

The things I'm aware of:

+ Get a high hit combo
- Use an item

Does negative grade actually take away from your overall "pool"? Does type of combo also impact your grade? I vaguely remember spamming one move over and over and then when I changed up the way I was executing the combo or the techs involved I got a little bump in grade.

PKrockin

wow thanks :)! that is more complex than i thought..... any recommendations on which party is ideal? 5 hours in
At first I use Lloyd, Genis, Colette, and Kratos. The beginning of the game aside, the best party is one that includes Raine. Once she gets mid-level spells, especially Nurse and Photon, she's the most essential character easily.

Does negative grade actually take away from your overall "pool"? Does type of combo also impact your grade? I vaguely remember spamming one move over and over and then when I changed up the way I was executing the combo or the techs involved I got a little bump in grade.
The specific attacks you use in combos doesn't matter, just the number of hits.

PKrockin

Raine should definitely go T-type for healing spells but I find the S-type attack buff (Acuteness?) more useful and Holy Lance is probably way better for single targets than Ray.

Verelios

Raine should definitely go T-type for healing spells but I find the S-type attack buff (Acuteness?) more useful and Holy Lance is probably way better for single targets than Ray.
Honestly don't need Raine on S if Genis is in your party. Man, did he always like Tidal this much?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Wait, can you can mix S and T skills within your available pool as long as they are not a requirement for one-another?
Edit:nvm, you can.

Persona7

Banned
I want to finish my run on TOS but Dark Souls 2 is going to take a lot of my time. I am also really into Dead Rising 2 again.

FFX/FFX-2 HD is next week as well...ugh

SaintZ

THIS. I feel like Ray misses the targets so much but if you don't have it you can't perform Prism Stars :/

PKrockin

THIS. I feel like Ray misses the targets so much but if you don't have it you can't perform Prism Stars :/
Indeed... well it seems the PS2 extras included some new unison attacks with Holy Lance, so I'm ditching Prism Stars and going S this time.

PKrockin

Photon is generally more useful than both since it's one of the few spells that instantly stagger enemies.

Gonna get destroyed by the dragons in the sky boss fight now.

Erm I would like to understand how this image quality manages a mere 30fps on ps3
i0p0HU1NNG3tx.jpg
when uncharted also runs at 30fps.
Unless the pics OP posted are ps2 shots.

PKrockin

Erm I would like to understand how this image quality manages a mere 30fps on ps3 when uncharted also runs at 30fps.

Laziness, obviously. It's based on the PS2 version which was legitimately pushed at 30fps, and they didn't think it was worth it to rework the engine.

This is really a port running at 720p, not a "remastering" or anything like that.

Seda

Erm I would like to understand how this image quality manages a mere 30fps on ps3 when uncharted also runs at 30fps.

Well..

Laziness, obviously. It's based on the PS2 version which was legitimately pushed at 30fps, and they didn't think it was worth it to rework the engine.

This is really a port running at 720p, not a "remastering" or anything like that.

Basically. They did as little work as possible w.r.t. performance.

Persona7

Banned

They ported the PS2 version of the game which is locked at 30FPS. They could have ported the gamecube version and then tried to add in all the extra content from the PS2 version but I don't know how viable it is to open up decade old code bases and then try to combine the content.

On top of that the programmers who probably could make it work might not even be available or any notes could have been lost.

PKrockin

"Professor, what's a philanderer? Is it something to eat?"

Lloyd, you country bumpkin, you.

Also, Holy Lance does twice the damage of the final beam of Ray, for the record.

PKrockin

wtf? The scene where you take Regal to the Lezareno Company Sky Terrace isn't voiced in Japanese. I'm positive that was voiced in the English GC version, and it's voiced in this version if you have the language set to English. It's an important scene, too.

Protag

Banned
wtf? The scene where you take Regal to the Lezareno Company Sky Terrace isn't voiced in Japanese. I'm positive that was voiced in the English GC version, and it's voiced in this version if you have the language set to English. It's an important scene, too.

Thats a little lame

I truly think they ran out of time with some of Regal's stuff in the original Japanese release. He got ripped off in a couple areas before the PS2 re-release.

And that really sucked too, since Regal is my favorite. Luckily they've remedies that with additional content for him since.

Amon37

Enjoyed Symphomia, after 5 hours with DotNW this is going back to gamefly. Emil's horribly whiny voice and the fact im not much into monster raising means this is a no.

Top Bottom