• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World new Video

Sagitario

Joule said:
What happened to overlimiting? Did they really take that out?

There is an enemy [soldier] using overlimit in this video:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3787849
Starts at 2:58... the overlimit looks way cooler in KoR than ToS or TotA... [the person is not surronded by a dark aura anymore (it's translucent, think of cosmos in Saint Seiya) and the person using it has some semitransparent shadows following him, like Soma or Juste in the Castlevania games]...

Joule

Farore said:
There is an enemy [soldier] using overlimit in this video:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3787849
Starts at 2:58... the overlimit looks way cooler in KoR than ToS or TotA... [the person is not surronded by a dark aura anymore (it's translucent, think of cosmos in Saint Seiya) and the person using it has some semitransparent shadows following him, like Soma or Juste in the Castlevania games]...

So it's back to ToS style overlimiting then. Without the get out of combo free burst property of ToA's overlimit, I can see almost all the boss fights barring the multi boss fights to be not very worthwhile. While you might not utilize the previous max hit combo, I'm sure there'll be many variants of absolute lock down you can use.

I mean unless higher difficulty modes grant enemies some extreme recovery speed or something, it'll be like playing ToA again (where the most interesting and actually worthwhile fights are the multi boss ones). I'm talking about this on a multi play perspective though.

Joule

Farore said:
I seriously did not understand any of that... >__> ...

I'm just basing this on the max hit combo video I posted. It appears that even if the bosses have a overlimit, they won't be able to use it if they're stuck in a infinite stun lock (even the ones in ToA required you to juggle so they couldn't overlimit, this is just on the ground). Which makes me think that the overlimits are back to what they were in ToS (iirc you can't use them to get out of combos freely).

The boss fights which contain multiple enemies such Alice and her Beasts would be more worthwhile since you can't apply this particular combo right off the bat (supposing you choose to do so).

The comparison to ToA is based on my experiences with it on a 4player coop situation (I've played all the Team Symphonia games this way). Many of the single enemy boss fights really paled in comparison to the multiple enemy ones. It's actually back to ToS-like play with corning the enemy and keep them there till you win in coop play.

I just hope on higher difficulties bosses have some sort of defense against this. You could choose to not use it but I think in a 4player coop situation it might happen a little too easily because of the increase in coordination.

GamerSoul

I think it's just an outcome of having two great characters that can stun the enemy :) We still don't know if this works with the other characters.

Joule said:
I'm just basing this on the max hit combo video I posted. It appears that even if the bosses have a overlimit, they won't be able to use it if they're stuck in a infinite stun lock (even the ones in ToA required you to juggle so they couldn't overlimit, this is just on the ground). Which makes me think that the overlimits are back to what they were in ToS (iirc you can't use them to get out of combos freely).

Yeah, in ToA, enemies will use there overlimit as soon as they get it, so you couldn't combo if you let them hit the floor. It definitely has to be the stun that kept him in because basically all max Tales combos involve pinning the enemy into a wall, but this one had him being slapped and dragged all over the place.

The boss fights which contain multiple enemies such Alice and her Beasts would be more worthwhile since you can't apply this particular combo right off the bat (supposing you choose to do so).

The comparison to ToA is based on my experiences with it on a 4player coop situation (I've played all the Team Symphonia games this way). Many of the single enemy boss fights really paled in comparison to the multiple enemy ones. It's actually back to ToS-like play with corning the enemy and keep them there till you win in coop play.

I just hope on higher difficulties bosses have some sort of defense against this. You could choose to not use it but I think in a 4player coop situation it might happen a little too easily because of the increase in coordination.

I think most tales 3D tales games are like this, although there are some exceptions. Boss fights with multiple enemies are usually more exciting, hectic, and really make use of the Free Run.

kiryogi

Banned
I know I said it earlier, but it must be said again. It's really been too long since an actual original tales entry in some decent form. (I'm discounting Destiny as it wasn't new, but a remake) I seriously recommend any Symphonia fan if not a Tales fan in general to check out KoR. It's fantastic being able to revisit it again. Seeing familar faces, and all the changes the world has gone thru since the end of Symphonia. But on it's own, they've been able to introduce some new very lovable characters right off the bat. Marta's instantly onto Emil as soon as they meet, and it makes for some really cute skits. As Kagami mentioned: "It's a nice change of pace when the heroine is in lovey-dovey mode right from the beginning".

Speaking of the skits though, that's something that's been sorely missed since any real Tales 2-3 years ago. Innocence and Tempest couldn't deliver on this department, but KoR has it with the full package. Tons of voiced skits with personality and humor that'll instantly draw you into their world. In general though, there's a lot of acting period due to the amount of cutscenes. So it's not necessarily a halfass job of anything. Yeah, it's still a spinoff, but a really well presented one for what it is. While it may not be named ToS2, everything about it is so well detailed and fleshed out, it'd really feel like you were back right after it ended.

Mmm yeah, I definitely have been enjoying KoR thus far. There's more to mention, but that's for later.

kiryogi said:
I know I said it earlier, but it must be said again. It's really been too long since an actual original tales entry in some decent form. (I'm discounting Destiny as it wasn't new, but a remake) I seriously recommend any Symphonia fan if not a Tales fan in general to check out KoR. It's fantastic being able to revisit it again. Seeing familar faces, and all the changes the world has gone thru since the end of Symphonia. But on it's own, they've been able to introduce some new very lovable characters right off the bat. Marta's instantly onto Emil as soon as they meet, and it makes for some really cute skits. As Kagami mentioned: "It's a nice change of pace when the heroine is in lovey-dovey mode right from the beginning".

Speaking of the skits though, that's something that's been sorely missed since any real Tales 2-3 years ago. Innocence and Tempest couldn't deliver on this department, but KoR has it with the full package. Tons of voiced skits with personality and humor that'll instantly draw you into their world. In general though, there's a lot of acting period due to the amount of cutscenes. So it's not necessarily a halfass job of anything. Yeah, it's still a spinoff, but a really well presented one for what it is. While it may not be named ToS2, everything about it is so well detailed and fleshed out, it'd really feel like you were back right after it ended.

Mmm yeah, I definitely have been enjoying KoR thus far. There's more to mention, but that's for later.

I'm definitely going to get this one, but I want to wait for it to hit the USA.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
thanks for confirming my worst fears, kiryogi : )

blu said:
all prominent tales so far have been a huge time sink for me.

Man I remember a number of years ago when I unknowingly came across a Tales of Title, probably don't remember which it was exactly, but anyway upon seeing this game I thought I must've stumbled onto what was one of the biggest secrets ever because nobody I knew had any idea a game such as this even existed. They only knew about things like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

I was just as impressed as then as I am now with this series.

I really didn't suspect this Wii title would end up being something I wanted this much, but this has been a pleasant surprise if there ever was one. I always thought it looked surprisingly better than what I had expected, but really who could've known? It's a truly awesome thing when I can look forward to 2 worthwhile titles from this series so close to together.

I'm beyond excited for both this and Vesperia right now.

Jiggy

kiryogi said:
[...]they've been able to introduce some new very lovable characters right off the bat. Marta's instantly onto Emil as soon as they meet, and it makes for some really cute skits. As Kagami mentioned: "It's a nice change of pace when the heroine is in lovey-dovey mode right from the beginning".
Second favorite Symphonia-universe character reconfirmed. :O Go, go, ye girl who knows what she wants. :D

kiryogi

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Second favorite Symphonia-universe character reconfirmed. :O Go, go, ye girl who knows what she wants. :D

On the Collet side of things, when I finally met up with her. She had some super funny and cute skits :D

Like calling Tenebrae wan-chan, which irritates him to no end. Or impersonating Refill while demostrating to Emil what a ruins maniac is. So good

And, it came to my attention someone called me out on my quick thoughts. Well. that's what they were. I mentioned that I'd say more later, and I will. I was going to post some cons but realized that wasn't the point of this post. I called out specifically Symphonia fans and Tales fans and confirmed for them about the one of the biggest key elements of a Tales game, the characters. Not just that though, the world of Sumphonia also lives on and I'm sure there are those that loved that universe.

Jiggy

After reading that, I may just never read another spoiler again. That sounds flipping amazing and I'll love to see it. :O

It's a good thing that playing through the original Symphonia six times proved to me that I can get crazy enjoyment from a fun scene even when I already know what's going to happen. That sounds flipping amazing and I'll love to see it. :O

jarrod

Banned
Datschge said:
Thanks. There are actually tons more connections, many are just hard to confirm due to the lack of easily available game staff lists. Years ago there was an effort on 2ch outlining all those connections, they all turned out to be correct where verifyable.
You can really see it in their design choices honestly... Lufia, Wild Arms and Golden Sun for example, they're all like lost siblings design wise.

Really seems to me a lot of the smaller modern RPG makers are descended from either Telenet and/or Falcom ultimately.

kiryogi

Banned
Namco just put this up on their site for those who took their survey:

wall_sample.jpg

Credit to aquary from the official namco tales forum for this:

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1095

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
JIGGY! i'm back from exile!

also, loving this game. the price, the concept, it'll hold me very tightly for at least a weekend (a super gaming binge weekend). i can't wait until i get to see some beatdowns on my most hated (or in colette's case, simultaneously loved and hated) characters of last generation. though, i did see a video and my fears about Lloyd's not really evilness have been confirmed.

i wanted to beatdown on Lloyd :'(

at the very least, i wanted to see him fall in battle to our heroes and then as his last words regret his actions, followed by his death. it would have been epic. so much lost potential... :'(

kiryogi

Banned
Farore said:
New Tales survey.... huh?

I didn't get any survey in my mail and I always get them... weird... :(

I shoulda said Namco Japan. They always have surveys up for each game on the official jp site.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ Sweet! I'm always looking at paintings in games, I'm glad when they put stuff like this.

ivysaur12

Banned
Alaluef said:
^ Sweet! I'm always looking at paintings in games, I'm glad when they put stuff like this.

What's that a painting of? I feel like I should know...

And how does the 150k (or 130k in Media Create) compare to the other Tales games? What do they usually do in their second week?

kiryogi

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
What's that a painting of? I feel like I should know...

And how does the 150k (or 130k in Media Create) compare to the other Tales games? What do they usually do in their second week?

Well the key here is I believe it only shipped like 170k.

ivysaur12

Banned
kiryogi said:
Well the key here is I believe it only shipped like 170k.

Oh shit.

And looking at the other first weeks, it actually did fairly comparable to ToS, but not that well compared to the other PS2 Tales games. It's cleared all of the recent portable Tales for the first week, at least.

But if they only shipped 170k, that actually makes me kind of happy. Hopefully the demand is still high, I want to see this one do well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ivysaur12 said:
Oh shit.

And looking at the other first weeks, it actually did fairly comparable to ToS, but not that well compared to the other PS2 Tales games. It's cleared all of the recent portable Tales for the first week, at least.

But if they only shipped 170k, that actually makes me kind of happy. Hopefully the demand is still high, I want to see this one do well.

It will probably end up around 250-275K, which all in all has to be considered a success.

ivysaur12

Banned
schuelma said:
It will probably end up around 250-275K, which all in all has to be considered a success.

You think it'll only do another 100k? Hmm... maybe.

At 275k, that would still make it the 3rd best selling 3rd party Wii game in Japan. And it would be in the top 15 overall. Not too bad, but I wish it did more. Someone needs to beat Dragon Quest Swords before Monster Hunger 3 comes out.

EDIT: Actually, the original ToS on the Gamecube only did around 300k in Japan. So maybe that's not too bad.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ivysaur12 said:
You think it'll only do another 100k? Hmm... maybe.

At 275k, that would still make it the 3rd best selling 3rd party Wii game in Japan. And it would be in the top 15 overall. Not too bad, but I wish it did more. Someone needs to beat Dragon Quest Swords before Monster Hunger 3 comes out.

Well, RPGs' are generally pretty frontloaded. For example, ToS GC had a 1st week of 183K and ended up at 322K LTD. If ToS:KoR has similiar legs it will reach about 265K.

Prax

Richter's cool. Although he seems like a mix of Kratos and Jade (neither of whom I like very much!). I still find it funny how Marta's feet look really small because of how thick they made her boot and the height of her heel... how do girls do that to themselves!

Also, I'm going to go crazy trying to find the perfect wolf and bird pokemon to be my pets Xaanh and Alphinas.. perhaps even a tiger to be GLS. Someone, show me all the monsters available and their final evolutions! I need to decide!

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Prax said:
Also, I'm going to go crazy trying to find the perfect wolf and bird pokemon to be my pets Xaanh and Alphinas.. perhaps even a tiger to be GLS. Someone, show me all the monsters available and their final evolutions! I need to decide!

Gotta catch'em all! ;)
Digimon > Pokemon

Jiggy

note: non-spoiler people, keep away from my music links since you never know what related videos might show up in YouTube's related video sections

Okay, so I've been listening to some of the music from this game on YouTube, such as this boss battle theme and this battle theme, and I have to ask... Are the original pieces in this game actually composed by Sakuraba after all ? They remind me of Baten Kaitos quite a bit (which is a very good thing!), so I'm just curious here since I thought he wasn't supposed to be involved.

Anyway, at least going from what I've heard I think the new music simply demolishes the old themes. :eek: I'll be interested when I finally get around to playing this, because I can barely imagine how whichever old themes made it in are supposed to stack up to the likes of this battle theme, much less be side-by-side within the same game. :eek: I mean, even the few ToS themes I can say I loved aren't close to on par with this stuff due to being composed with a very simplistic nature that lacks any real countermelodies and so forth, so I wonder if these two musical styles feel clashing in any way.

Prax said:
I still find it funny how Marta's feet look really small because of how thick they made her boot and the height of her heel...
Yeah, I always thought so too--

because of how thick they made her boot and the height of her heel...
Hmm?
height of her heel
Uh... Wait, what?

*squints at a picture*
...ARGH, how did I not notice until now? D: D: D: All that time I thought her feet were just really small and the black parts were the color of her boots. Character sabotage total. ;_;

how do girls do that to themselves!
I have my theories, though they're none too pleasant. ;_; Now, luckily for girls like Marta (or Tear, or others), their clothes aren't in their own hands and so their shoes don't say much about their personality, because some human designer unfortunately decides these things for them. But that still doesn't mean I'll be able to fully overlook it. D:

Sagitario

Jiggy37 said:
note: non-spoiler people, keep away from my music links since you never know what related videos might show up in YouTube's related video sections

Okay, so I've been listening to some of the music from this game on YouTube, such as this boss battle theme and this battle theme, and I have to ask... Are the original pieces in this game actually composed by Sakuraba after all ? They remind me of Baten Kaitos quite a bit (which is a very good thing!), so I'm just curious here since I thought he wasn't supposed to be involved.

Anyway, at least going from what I've heard I think the new music simply demolishes the old themes. :eek: I'll be interested when I finally get around to playing this, because I can barely imagine how whichever old themes made it in are supposed to stack up to the likes of this battle theme, much less be side-by-side within the same game. :eek: I mean, even the few ToS themes I can say I loved aren't close to on par with this stuff due to being composed with a very simplistic nature that lacks any real countermelodies and so forth, so I wonder if these two musical styles feel clashing in any way.

It has been confirmed by Datschge that Sakuraba was directly involved...

The spin-off sequel Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk for Wii was released on June 26th in Japan and is scheduled for within 2008 in North America, the latter getting it under the name Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Avex Trax is planning a four disks soundtrack for release on July 9th (AVCD-23646~9). Mr Sakuraba composed, arranged and remixed parts of the soundtrack.

Furthermore NBGI plans to release Tales of Vesperia for XBox 360 in Japan on August 7th, in North America during August and in Europe within 2009. An international demo of the game is already on the Japanese XBox Live Marketplace and will be available worldwide starting July 14th. Warner Music will release a four disks soundtrack release of it on August 20th (WPCL-10491~4). Mr Sakuraba is responsible for composing and arranging a part of the soundtrack.

TEAM Entertainment is planning a Tales of Series Battle Arrange Tracks album (catalogue number KDSD-00230) for release on August 27th. Mr Sakuraba is confirmed to be both the composer and arranger for this. Rumoured but not yet confirmed tracks are:

* Take up the Cross (Tales of Phantasia)
* Battle Organization (Tales of Rebirth)
* Encounter (Tales of the Tempest)
* The Edge of a Decision (Tales of the Abyss)
* Keep Your Guard Up! (Tales of Symphonia)
* Relentless Assault (Tales of Destiny)
* Common Destiny (Tales of Destiny PS2)
* Theme of Battle (Tales of Destiny 2)
* Confrontation (Tales of the Tempest)
* The Die is Cast (Tales of Rebirth)
* Strange Battle (Tales of Eternia)
* The Wilderness of Sadness (Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk)

According to the official page music from the upcoming Tales of Vesperia will be included as well.

Plus, the legend for KoR has changed from:

Reused compositions with no direct involvement of Mr Sakuraba

to:

In cooperation with other composers

And about the Tales of Series Battle Arrange Tracks album: needs more Fatalize, Beat the Angel and At the Time of Farewell... but OMG... a soundtrack release of the Tales fighting themes =D [I guess only Legendia would be missing and maybe the TotA themes composed by Motoo Fujiwara :_(]

I love me some Sakuraba :D ...

Sagitario

Well, I just listened to the new battle themes... all excellent I must say...
The final battle one is great, but my favorite definitely is the one against Decus/Alice... it's soooooo freaking good :D ...

And Decus's Hi-ougi is hilarious [and devastating]... :lol

Some of the remixes/rearrangement of the old ones are really good and cool too... =)

Sagitario

Seriously, the battle themes [specially bosses] of KoR are really good [much better than the normal battle songs of ToS and TotA], and IMO the new versions of the old songs are the better editions...

And Beat the Angel is IN :D :D :D [not rearranged though]...

080708_1b.jpg

080708_2.jpg

Jiggy

Full Force is kind of a wash to me--the remixed version has an awesome new section, but I like the original's lighter instrumentation more. Like A Glint of Light is kind of the opposite, where the new version is the lighter one and I like it more because of that. And as with FF, I love the new section that was added, so hooray for that.

But yeah, in general the new battle songs thoroughly blow away everything from ToS other than Fatalize, and I'm pleasantly surprised by that turn of events. :eek: I honestly was just expecting (and wanting) a bunch of remixes that may or may not have ended up better than the originals, but instead the situation is more that I almost don't care about the old songs right now. The new stuff just plain sounds good to me.

Prax

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I always thought so too--

Hmm? Uh... Wait, what?

*squints at a picture*
...ARGH, how did I not notice until now? D: D: D: All that time I thought her feet were just really small and the black parts were the color of her boots. Character sabotage total. ;_;

I have my theories, though they're none too pleasant. ;_; Now, luckily for girls like Marta (or Tear, or others), their clothes aren't in their own hands and so their shoes don't say much about their personality, because some human designer unfortunately decides these things for them. But that still doesn't mean I'll be able to fully overlook it. D:

It hurts me so deep inside! Especially when all the other girls had NORMAL shoes and boots! (Maybe this is part reason why I didn't like TotA as much as well! What's with Tear's and Lagretta's stupid high heels?). I'll.. maybe I'll just tell myself that Marta's heel is at least NOT a stiletto and that she just enjoys playing ballerina and adding that to her combat moves...

Also... ...

Has anyone translated the lyrics for the opening song yet? I love knowing the lyrics and trying to link it to the story (it made TotA's opening song, karma, and the game itself more awesome). On the other hand, knowing the lyrics for Ring a Bell made ToV's opening song worse and probably the game that much worse. X|

Jiggy

Prax said:
It hurts me so deep inside!
You and me both. ;_; This is one reason that I wish almost every game had multiple costumes for all of its characters and I was disappointed to hear they're not around...

Costumes for the North American release, please, Namco. ;_; We were an enormous factor in making ToS a worldwide success and yet we're waiting a while longer for our English version, so we can have a little bonus like that, right? Please? D:

Jiggy

GAF's Volcynika put up five videos from the English version of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Volcynika

They look to me like they're all early-game, but if you're avoiding spoilers, stay out! :p

Thoughts:
-The player sucks at Tales battles. <_< Just kind of stands in front of enemies after attacking and lets them retaliate... For that reason, I'm not really going to comment on the battles.
-Emil sounds alright. Marta sounds good, although a bit deeper than I'd expect her to be; I like her voice. Richter's voice is fine, although the inflections are--iffy, I think. I think I give the edge to Tenebrae for best voice of the new characters in these videos, IMO.
-Lloyd's voice isn't ToS Lloyd. ;_; I can't tell if it's Radiant Mythology Lloyd either, but it sounds closer to that than ToS.
-Yay for subtitles! I also love the text boxes for normal dialogue.
-Load time for the battles... mm, we'll see what I think when actually playing it and experiencing it repeatedly, as opposed to seeing it once.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jiggy37 said:
-Lloyd's voice isn't ToS Lloyd. ;_; I can't tell if it's Radiant Mythology Lloyd either, but it sounds closer to that than ToS.
oh good. Maybe this means Colette got fixed too

ivysaur12

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
GAF's Volcynika put up five videos from the English version of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Volcynika

They look to me like they're all early-game, but if you're avoiding spoilers, stay out! :p

Thoughts:
-The player sucks at Tales battles. <_< Just kind of stands in front of enemies after attacking and lets them retaliate... For that reason, I'm not really going to comment on the battles.
-Emil sounds alright. Marta sounds good, although a bit deeper than I'd expect her to be; I like her voice. Richter's voice is fine, although the inflections are--iffy, I think. I think I give the edge to Tenebrae for best voice of the new characters in these videos, IMO.
-Yay for subtitles! I also love the text boxes for normal dialogue.
-Load time for the battles... mm, we'll see what I think when actually playing it and experiencing it repeatedly, as opposed to seeing it once.

I'm a bit sad they couldn't get Lloyd's VA of all people to come back. He was the main character after all. Oh well...

And Marta sounds so much better than her Japanese counterpart. Who's the voice actress though? She sounds like Melissa Fahn... sort of?

Emil sounds like a pansy.

EDIT: Oh, fuck... Johnny Yong Bosch is the VA for Emil. Couldn't he have at least done his Guy voice, which was somewhat decent? Ugh.

Jiggy

Emil's strange to me. In some of the videos he sounds really shy, and in others he puts on a tough voice.

grandjedi6 said:
oh good. Maybe this means Colette got fixed too
I can't decide whether I more want Heather Hogan back or more don't. I know a lot of people hated her work in Symphonia. I thought she was okay, but suffered from the same problem as everybody in the GC game, which is that the voice samples sounded like they were recorded at like 64 kbps or something. (I don't know exactly what it was, but they definitely felt "off" to me. All of them.) If she came back and delivered the level of quality she had in The World Ends With You, which is her most recent work (and so it's what I'm most likely to judge her current merit by), then I'd be a very, very happy Colette-fanloving GAFer.

That's on a personal level. But since so many people hated her voice work in Symphonia, I'd like it if at least a few people who were buzz-killed mostly by the voice acting could potentially change their minds. (And I do admit I'm honestly curious how much of the perception about her character was driven by her voice as opposed to her actual script, but that matter will never be testable, really...)

Top Bottom