• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Reputation

Gunship

The first verse and bridge to the chorus is great and prepares you for something massive, but then it's a bit like letting the air out of a balloon and the whole track just nosedives into a meandering, directionless mess. It almost sounds like a shit remix of a great song, the way her voice just hangs over a really empty and boring backing track.

Terrible, lazy ending as well - the way it just abruptly stops says a lot about the lack of structure.

overcast

I'm gonna be honest it's a bit better than I expected. I'm definitely not too big of a Taylor Swift fan, but it will probably get stuck in my head.

That "old taylor is dead" part might be one of the cheesiest things I've heard. Might also get popular 🤷🏻

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yes! Listen to it. She made an extremely diverse album with a lot of heart and charm. And the Country/Nashville inspired songs are amazing. It’s more along the lines of what Joanne should have been, tbh.

I bought tickets for me and my gay bestie to see her in October. It’s that good.

Joanne...

v7DgWJn.gif

Ok sis... I'll give it a listen this weekend.

I'm trusting you here.

I like it now

I told my friend @ work to listen to Serpent's song to see what she thought. She "hated it at first, but it gets really catchy after the first couple of times".

Sigh!

I'm sorry the be that guy, but....

Damn, Taylor must be doing something right, because this neogaf thread is super big for a pop song. She's definitely succeeds in creating controversy enough for people to care.

OrionX

I thought I was gonna love it at first, then it reached the chorus and I was like wtf is this shit, but now it may be starting to grow on me.

Either way I think it'll be a hit cuz I'm pretty sure she has one of the most stable fanbases in existence.

OchreHand

Song is weird. But I thought Blank Space and Bad Blood were weird too.

But Taylor's management team are geniuses. Everything they do is calculated to get maximum exposure.

I'm sorry the be that guy, but....

Damn, Taylor must be doing something right, because this neogaf thread is super big for a pop song. She's definitely succeeds in creating controversy enough for people to care.

Even if the song is bottom-tier, it’s all the drama that has created one of the biggest pop moments of the year. She is definitely making a statement, even if her song is mediocre.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't doubt Republican will hit #1 on the charts but I doubt this will sell anywhere close to 1989 numbers.

zethren

Banned
I don't care for the song, it's not catchy at all (which is what I look for in pop music). Much respect to her recently though, and her feud with Kanye is hilarious.

hughesta

Banned
lol at bunnybear thinking that anyone but them gives a single fuck about record sales

god I wish Taylor's lyrics and vocals on this track were better because I really do like the production. She's almost biting Kilo Kish on the hook and I think it works but the things she's saying are egregiously obnoxious.

I actually kinda liked it but holy shit the "the old Taylor is dead" part on the phone was pure 100% unfiltered all-natural cringe.

I am not going to be able to handle hearing this on the radio 20 times a day. The verses are fine, but once it gets to the part where it repeats "look what you made me do" a billion times, I want to do physical harm to my ear drums.

If this song was released under a name, we wouldn't give it two listens, horrible song.

I've mentioned this a couple of times on here, but it is interesting all the talk of star power not being a thing any more in Hollywood. Which I think does seem to have some truth to it. But, it is certainly alive and well in the music industry. Miley Cyrus' new song is just beyond boring, and is approaching a billion views on youtube. If that were just a random youtuber putting that out, no one on earth would give it a second listen. But, the pop industry still knows how to get people to latch on to their stars.

Dartastic

The first verse and pre-chorus are kinda neat and then the chorus kicks in and Taylor what are you doing this is so bad
Yeah. That "look what you made me do" bit is... really bad. Like it feels like she's playing her fans or something, saying "oh, too bad I just have to basically not have a chorus. You made me do this."

holy shit

is this why popgaf died

on topic
I like the song a lot honestly
May I ask out of pure curiosity what aspects of the song you liked? I found myself wholly indifferent to the song and I didn't understand what she was referring to when she said "look what you made me do". Who made her do what, exactly and what was the result of what she did?

I still don't understand. Any/context help would be appreciated and being that you liked the song I assume you have the context I need. :)

Xater

Radio hosts today hyped this up and then I had to listen to this hot garbage. Boy was this a bad song. It's like 3 different hooks that don't fit together in a single song. Everything wrong about modern pop music.

Top Bottom