• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

For the new jets bring old school photos from elementary and your high school year book. The kids really love it. And bring lots of stickers, when you get there you'll know why. Better from your home country so it'll be more special. Also bring pennies or whatever 1 cent piece equivalent you have as those make good prizes.

Neo C.

I did the interview and wasn't too bad, but I've got the feeling I could have done better. :/
Now, I should look for alternatives, the next JET application won't come till next year.

Is it even possible to get one of these jobs without a college education? I would love to teach English abroad but I haven't been to college because I don't know what I want to do in life. I feel like this would be a great oppurtunity for me to find that out. I was looking into the TESOL certificate as well. But if you need at least a bachelors degree then I don't qualify for anything.

Neo C.

Is it even possible to get one of these jobs without a college education? I would love to teach English abroad but I haven't been to college because I don't know what I want to do in life. I feel like this would be a great oppurtunity for me to find that out. I was looking into the TESOL certificate as well. But if you need at least a bachelors degree then I don't qualify for anything.

Try looking for private schools, they vary greatly in terms of conditions.

watershed

Banned
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in here for a while. I've been teaching in South Korea for the past few years but am thinking of making the switch to Japan. Outside of the Jet program, what's the best way to teach English in Japan? Can anyone recommend any specific companies or programs? I'm fully qualified in terms of an English degree, TEFL certification, and teaching experience. I just want to find the best opportunity to teach in Japan. Any help is much appreciated!

lupinko

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in here for a while. I've been teaching in South Korea for the past few years but am thinking of making the switch to Japan. Outside of the Jet program, what's the best way to teach English in Japan? Can anyone recommend any specific companies or programs? I'm fully qualified in terms of an English degree, TEFL certification, and teaching experience. I just want to find the best opportunity to teach in Japan. Any help is much appreciated!

Most of the recent posters doing Japan in this thread, myself included are former, current and future JETs. But the first post has really detailed info on other avenues in Japan.

watershed

Banned
Sorry for the double post but does anyone here have experience teaching in Hong Kong? I'm doing research on their primary and secondary school NET program at the moment and would love to hear any first hand experience.

In the past, it was very much possible in China, and I would've recommended that, but they changed the visa laws last year and you now need to have a bachelor's degree to get a work visa. It's still technically possible to teach English in China without a degree, as you won't find anyone cares about your visa status in smaller, less-developed cities, but it's still illegal.

Laieon

I finally had my interview with EPIK last night. I initially thought it went pretty well, but as time passes I keep thinking of different things I should have said or different ways I should have phrased something I did say. Really anxious right now, the waiting game sucks.

watershed

Banned
I finally had my interview with EPIK last night. I initially thought it went pretty well, but as time passes I keep thinking of different things I should have said or different ways I should have phrased something I did say. Really anxious right now, the waiting game sucks.
EPIK isn't very harsh with their "weeding out" of candidates. I think you will be fine as long as your qualifications and attitude are good.

In the past, it was very much possible in China, and I would've recommended that, but they changed the visa laws last year and you now need to have a bachelor's degree to get a work visa. It's still technically possible to teach English in China without a degree, as you won't find anyone cares about your visa status in smaller, less-developed cities, but it's still illegal.

It depends how big the school is. If its XDF, they have enough money to provide a working-visa for you with some Hongbao...

If its just a small school and the police gets to know there is a foreigner working there and the school doesnt wanna give some money to the policeman/station, the teachers can say good-bye to China...

Though in almost all other jobs besides being a teacher, no one cares about that. People are working with an F or M-Visa and the company can just say "they are helping us, they are trainees" and its okay.

WoodWERD

Question for those in China with Z-visas/Foreign Expert Certs: did you have to do another health exam if you changed schools within the same province? It's a minor annoyance but I was hoping the red tape would be a lot less since I'm already in the province with legit paperwork. Instead I'm being asked for original docs yet again. I am completing my current contract on good terms and moving to a different uni this fall (Sichuan).

Question for those in China with Z-visas/Foreign Expert Certs: did you have to do another health exam if you changed schools within the same province? It's a minor annoyance but I was hoping the red tape would be a lot less since I'm already in the province with legit paperwork. Instead I'm being asked for original docs yet again. I am completing my current contract on good terms and moving to a different uni this fall (Sichuan).

In my experience most workplaces in CHina dont even know the visa-situation about the Z-Visa at all, especially schools...

Thats one of the biggest annoyances about working in China. No one, who employs foreigners, really has a clue what to do for the visa of their employee, even if its just a transfer of your working-visa...

WoodWERD

Yeah, just a roll of the dice like everything else. I was looking forward to a nice long break and going home this summer. I finish classes the 2nd week of June and won't start again until September, but it seems I'll be holding my breath on the new residence permit. My current docs expire 7/15 and I informed the new school that it's possible to start the paperwork a month before expiration, so we'll see how long it actually takes. Looks like I'll be twiddling my thumbs for a few weeks but maybe I can travel around here a bit.

Well, its biggest industry is fishing, but its population is 65,000 (of which apparently 38.5% is above 60) so I wouldn't call it a village. The geography of it is pretty cool, with the livable area of the island being entirely flanked by two mountain rangers:

I2nxbGJ.png

It's not a very modern place, but it's right off the coast of one of the major metros of Tohoku, Niigata city, approx. an hour-long ferry ride away.

The most interesting thing I've been able to find about it is that it was historically the island that political exiles were sent to.

All in all, it's not precisely what I wanted, but I'm still excited.

I don't know why I didn't think to post this here, but better late than never.

If anyone has a basic grasp of linguistics, or could at least quickly learn phonetics etc., and has a standard American or British accent then I might be able to get you a job in Tokyo. My school needs smarter teachers than the average schmucks around here and gaffers tend to have brains :p Sorry about the accent requirement, the school is basically aimed at men and women who want to sound native-like and that means "General American" or "Received Pronunciation" for some reason.

PM me if you're interested.

Not sure if this is allowed on GAF so delete if needed. I work for Interac in the Chiba branch here in Japan. I am the branch trainer and we are always on the look out for native speakers/fluent English speakers. A degree is needed for us to sponsor your visa. We look after around 15 boards of education in Chiba from Tateyama in the south to Funabashi in the north west. While I can't make any promises, good candidates are always wanted. No promises of course. Key hiring times are August and then March/April. It's not a difficult job and there is quite alot of free time which allows you to pursue other employment. Lazy bastards who think a native ability to speak English is all that is needed need not apply. Had enough of those. PM me for more details if interested.

Out of the 30 or so people leaving from my particular consulate, no one is within even 200 miles of me. I guess most people choose to go to the big cities—four within my group are being sent to Tokyo proper, a few to Kyoto and Osaka—which is kind of disappointing.

Sado Island seems like it's gonna be wicked lonely, English-wise, but I'm also pretty excited for the learning opportunities that can come from that isolation and building a real sort of bond with my community.

Lazy bastards who think a native ability to speak English is all that is needed need not apply. Had enough of those.

This sort of thing does kind of infuriate me. Even back home in the US, when I would be among other certified ESL teachers it would take everything I had not to yell "Stop teaching English wrong!!". Nothing disappoints me more than someone telling an English language learner that they are speaking or writing "wrong" because it's not precisely the way that particular teacher would speak or write. It's even worse when there's an English language learner at a relatively high level who gets critiqued by a teacher down to a simpler level of usage because they don't trust them to use intermediate English. So many occasions where, if you weren't thinking of this student as a "dumb foreigner" or whatever bias you're holding, you would never ever think that sentence or structure is inaccurate. They may have been good people, but they weren't linguistically or understandingly approaching the job, which I think is important.

Laieon

Found out a few weeks ago that I didn't make it into EPIK, so I've been interviewing with a bunch of Hagwons until I found one that I felt comfortable with. Got word this morning that I was accepted at one in Jeonju. I really liked the director when I spoke with him, so I went ahead and accepted the offer.

I leave July 15th, which is a few weeks earlier than I was hoping to leave, but I'm incredibly excited.

WoodWERD

This thread's gotten quiet...must be summah time. I just wrapped up my first year at a uni in China and I'm ready for a break back in the states. Being in a small town got pretty boring but I'm looking forward to next semester. I'll be working at a different uni in Chengdu proper this time so life should be a lot more interesting. Loving the laid back lifestyle though. I'm going to give it another semester or two before I decide whether I want to do this for awhile, and go get a masters/teaching cert to double or triple my little salary.

Oh man, why did I not know about this thread when I applied to JET in October! What a shame! Congrats to all who got in! I am super jealous! I honestly thought I had a good chance of getting in considering I had a 4.0 GPA, I was president of a science education club, members of other organizations like KDP, worked as a substitute teacher for 1 year, have ESOL, Reading, ESE K-12, & Elementary Ed. K-6 teaching certificates, and a bachelors in Exception Student Education. But I guess the expungement on my record was more than enough reason for them not accept me.

I always knew in the back of my mind that the one thing preventing me from getting accepted would be my expungement, so I worked extremely hard in school to try to balance it out. I remember when they released the list of applicant numbers being accepted for interviews and not seeing my number made me really sad but that's life. I was crushed and moved onto my next goal which is getting my masters. I got accepted to start my masters in TESOL this fall, so once I have that degree I will try applying again. I really do want to live/teach in Japan one day. That's a dream I will still try to make happen but as always everything happens for a reason.

TLDR; I was not accepted into JET and will reapply one day in the future. ;)

n64coder

But I guess the expungement on my record was more than enough reason for them not accept me.

I always knew in the back of my mind that the one thing preventing me from getting accepted would be my expungement, so I worked extremely hard in school to try to balance it out.

I'm not that familiar with expungement. Is this a prior criminal conviction that is sealed? Is it something that you can treat as never having existed? If so, how did they find out about it?

Bummer that you couldn't get into the program but hopefully it goes better the next time.

I'm not that familiar with expungement. Is this a prior criminal conviction that is sealed? Is it something that you can treat as never having existed? If so, how did they find out about it?

Bummer that you couldn't get into the program but hopefully it goes better the next time.

Ya, with an expungement no one can ever see what crime I was arrested for but they can see that I got something expunged off of my record. But normally most jobs only complete standard background checks and on those an expungement wont show up. They only appear on full FBI background checks, which JET requires applicants to complete. Also, you have to mark on the application form if you have ever been convicted/arrested for a crime or got something expunged.

WoodWERD

Ya, with an expungement no one can ever see what crime I was arrested for but they can see that I got something expunged off of my record. But normally most jobs only complete standard background checks and on those an expungement wont show up. They only appear on full FBI background checks, which JET requires applicants to complete. Also, you have to mark on the application form if you have ever been convicted/arrested for a crime or got something expunged.

That's some bullshit. If it's any consolation, the rest of Asia is basically your oyster with those qualifications, outside of Japan and maybe SK. I know EPIK in SK requires the FBI check but not sure if there are alternatives that don't aside from hagwons.

Porcile

Oh man, why did I not know about this thread when I applied to JET in October! What a shame! Congrats to all who got in! I am super jealous! I honestly thought I had a good chance of getting in considering I had a 4.0 GPA, I was president of a science education club, members of other organizations like KDP, worked as a substitute teacher for 1 year, have ESOL, Reading, ESE K-12, & Elementary Ed. K-6 teaching certificates, and a bachelors in Exception Student Education. But I guess the expungement on my record was more than enough reason for them not accept me.

I always knew in the back of my mind that the one thing preventing me from getting accepted would be my expungement, so I worked extremely hard in school to try to balance it out. I remember when they released the list of applicant numbers being accepted for interviews and not seeing my number made me really sad but that's life. I was crushed and moved onto my next goal which is getting my masters. I got accepted to start my masters in TESOL this fall, so once I have that degree I will try applying again. I really do want to live/teach in Japan one day. That's a dream I will still try to make happen but as always everything happens for a reason.

TLDR; I was not accepted into JET and will reapply one day in the future. ;)

While I don't have as many qualifications, I do have plenty of experience teaching university students as well as kids with special needs, I got great grades on my BA, have an MA at the highest grade, ran a club at university and I have a spotless criminal and health record. Needless to say, I didn't get an interview with JET.

Granted, I applied in the UK where competition is undoubtedly high with graduates applying from much more prestigious universities (my university wasn't even on the list), but honestly I feel like my age will always hold me back from JET. I graduated from my MA two years ago, and I know JET is more of a graduate program. I'm considering applying to Interac in September, and while I'm at it, I'll probably re-apply for JET, but I feel like it's no longer a route open to me. I'll stick at it though but next time I'm not going to approach it from a do or die perspective.

While I don't have as many qualifications, I do have plenty of experience teaching university students as well as kids with special needs, I got great grades on my BA, have an MA at the highest grade, ran a club at university and I have a spotless criminal and health record. Needless to say, I didn't get an interview with JET.

Granted, I applied in the UK where competition is undoubtedly high with graduates applying from much more prestigious universities (my university wasn't even on the list), but honestly I feel like my age will always hold me back from JET. I graduated from my MA two years ago, and I know JET is more of a graduate program. I'm considering applying to Interac in September, and while I'm at it, I'll probably re-apply for JET, but I feel like it's no longer a route open to me. I'll stick at it though but next time I'm not going to approach it from a do or die perspective.

Fuck! I didn't know the age thing was a big deal breaker for them I am currently 28 and I will be 30 by the time I finish grad school. I guess I will still apply again but seems like I need to start looking at other routes to get into Japan or look at other Asian countries. Now I feel old. lol. :(

Fuck! I didn't know the age thing was a big deal breaker for them I am currently 28 and I will be 30 by the time I finish grad school. I guess I will still apply again but seems like I need to start looking at other routes to get into Japan or look at other Asian countries. Now I feel old. lol. :(

I got accepted at 26 and I definitely know a few people in their early 30s who have gotten through, so I wouldn't get too demotivated about your age.

Porcile

I got accepted at 26 and I definitely know a few people in their early 30s who have gotten through, so I wouldn't get too demotivated about your age.

How long has it been since you graduated though? I don't think I can compete with the fresh graduates over here in the UK.

RM8

Guys, I'm going to apply on Interac... but I'm not sure if I should right now. I've concluded my studies, but I still don't have my "title" (not sure how this works in other countries, but basically I need to finish my thesis in order to get this "title" - which I'll do by the end of the year). Do you think I should apply now and mention I'm going through this? Or would you do it once you're done with it? I'm 26 right now, but I'll be 27 when that happens... man, I feel like I have no chance :(

Guru-Guru

Banned
Guys, I'm going to apply on Interac... but I'm not sure if I should right now. I've concluded my studies, but I still don't have my "title" (not sure how this works in other countries, but basically I need to finish my thesis in order to get this "title" - which I'll do by the end of the year). Do you think I should apply now and mention I'm going through this? Or would you do it once you're done with it? I'm 26 right now, but I'll be 27 when that happens... man, I feel like I have no chance :(
Not familiar with Interac, so I can't comment on your question...BUT, I have met plenty of teachers who came here when they were in their late 20's. Don't worry about your age!

RM8

People on Reddit say the same thing. I'll apply soon and hope I make it! :D Any suggestions for my "personal statement"? It's my chance to show I'm good at English despite my non-native status, but is there anything worth mentioning or avoiding? For example my job history and stuff.

Also a couple of questions: First, the application form asks for your desired environment. To be honest I'd be willing to go anywhere (that's the option I chose), but I'd definitely prefer "Suburban" or "UrbanMetro" over "Rural". Do you think choosing any other option makes me less likely to succeed?

Second, they ask for "at least two supervisors (academic or professional)". The thing is... my current boss doesn't speak one lick of English :x Let alone Japanese... do you happen to know if I must be working for these "referees"? Because I could provide Japanese references otherwise.

RM8

Welp, Interac didn't take me :(

I wonder if I should keep trying with other schools... I was told by people who made it that being non-native is indeed a big disadvantage.

I wonder if I should keep trying with other schools... I was told by people who made it that being non-native is indeed a big disadvantage.
Welp indeed... I hope that's an obstacle I'll be able to overcome. Is Interac one of the better private institutions?

Never give up. :)

watershed

Banned

Yeah, sorry to tell you this a little late but being a non-native speaker of English almost rules you out automatically for English teaching jobs in Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, and many other Asian countries. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will be tough. Have you passed any internationally recognized English proficiency tests or something to prove your native level English?

Yeah, sorry to tell you this a little late but being a non-native speaker of English almost rules you out automatically for English teaching jobs in Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, and many other Asian countries. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will be tough. Have you passed any internationally recognized English proficiency tests or something to prove your native level English?
This is not directed at me at all, so I apologize in advance for the hijack, but do you have any idea what would be considered...sufficient proof of near-native fluency by such an institution? I got a score of 118 the last time I took the TOEFL (iBT)--and since the results are only good for 2 years, I'll probably have to take it for a 3rd time--so that should count for something. I can also prove that all of my schooling (from the first grade to the end of my undergraduate studies) has been in English. Surely they'd be able to make an exception, right?

watershed

Banned
This is not directed at me at all, so I apologize in advance for the hijack, but do you have any idea what would be considered...sufficient proof of near-native fluency by such an institution? I got a score of 118 the last time I took the TOEFL (iBT)--and since the results are only good for 2 years, I'll probably have to take it for a 3rd time--so that should count for something. I can also prove that all of my schooling (from grade 1 to the end of my undergraduate studies) has been in English. Surely they'd be able to make an exception, right?

I don't have a lot of experience with this area since i am a native speaker but the TOEFL is internationally recognized and a high score would definitely help. Depending on what kind of job you are looking for, your education in English will help also. For example, I have known many non-native speakers of English who have been able to find employment in hagwons and private schools in South Korea.

I don't have a lot of experience with this area since i am a native speaker but the TOEFL is internationally recognized and a high score would definitely help. Depending on what kind of job you are looking for, your education in English will help also. For example, I have known many non-native speakers of English who have been able to find employment in hagwons and private schools in South Korea.
I just looked up how natives tended to fair on the test, and they seemed to get an average of ~100 points out of 120. The Brits scored about a 96 on average, though. (Yikes.) So that puts me in a good place.

I'm glad to hear about non-native English speakers still finding employment at private schools in SK, though. Hopefully the same will apply in Japan. :)

EDIT: But yeah, rm88, taking the TOEFL seems like a good idea in this case if you haven't already. It will be one less thing they could potentially hold against you.

Gorillaz

Haven't had a chance to really say much in this thread, but I subbed awhile back. Been looking into international education for awhile so I might end up looking into something like JET program

I am starting to get interested in the JET program after my study abroad experience in Japan this Summer. I will be getting some proper details soon and let you guys know how it goes. It's a tough decision to make and I may end up giving up my Engineering career to go through with this.

I just dont want to regret giving up the opportunity to do this. Theres always chances for me in the States later.

Laieon

I leave Monday for Korea, incredibly excited. Feels weird that I only have less than 48 hours to go. Only other country I've been to is Canada, and since I'm from the US that doesn't really count.

WoodWERD

I leave Monday for Korea, incredibly excited. Feels weird that I only have less than 48 hours to go. Only other country I've been to is Canada, and since I'm from the US that doesn't really count.

Enjoy the ride! It was definitely a surreal feeling for me landing in China...been a crazy year and I'll be back for more in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom