• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys are there are certifications I should get to improve my chances of landing a teaching gig in Japan?

What are things I can do in the states that can improve my chances ?
I'm not in a rush as I have things I need to take care of here.

lupinko

Hey guys are there are certifications I should get to improve my chances of landing a teaching gig in Japan?

What are things I can do in the states that can improve my chances ?
I'm not in a rush as I have things I need to take care of here.

Are you looking at working for a private company or doing something with the government? I'm doing JET right now which is done through the government.

I have a college diploma, a university bachelor's degree and 7 years of teaching conversational English at an English school in Canada.

For jet the Bachelor's is the most important, but other qualifications like the latter for me also helped with my selection I think.

WoodWERD

Holy crap, that's a bummer. How did the robbery go down, exactly? What city are you in?

Came through my laundry room on the 5th floor while I was asleep. I had been gone for 6 weeks and don't know whether the window was locked. Got into a few other teacher apartments too but I got the worst of it....I'm in Chengdu.

Scarecrow

So, I'm in my first week of teaching in China. This is also my first time ever as a teacher. I've had lots of one on one convos with the students, and they seem to be at around an intermediate/upper-intermediate level. Most seem to understand what I'm saying and can hold basic conversations with me.

I've only 8 weeks (one meeting a week) with each class and as of now I'm kinda lost on what I should be teaching them. These are English speaking classes, so I don't need to worry about teaching them writing and reading. It also seems like the school doesn't care what I teach them, either, so long as they are speaking English :/ Apparently, some teachers have gotten away with showing movies for most of the classes! The text books have lessons but are all around poor.

Any advice from experienced teachers would be very helpful.

sasimirobot

So, I'm in my first week of teaching in China. This is also my first time ever as a teacher. I've had lots of one on one convos with the students, and they seem to be at around an intermediate/upper-intermediate level. Most seem to understand what I'm saying and can hold basic conversations with me.

I've only 8 weeks (one meeting a week) with each class and as of now I'm kinda lost on what I should be teaching them. These are English speaking classes, so I don't need to worry about teaching them writing and reading. It also seems like the school doesn't care what I teach them, either, so long as they are speaking English :/ Apparently, some teachers have gotten away with showing movies for most of the classes! The text books have lessons but are all around poor.

Would be useful if you said how big the classes are and the age of the students. With "conversation" classes like this it is good to pick a topic and go over some vocabulary that may be useful first then start a dialogue. Try to get everyone involved but don't push too hard. Remember to avoid closed questions like "Do you like X?" and use more open questions like "What do you think about X?". You can also use games like Trivia/Jeopardy, modern board/card games ( I have used Ticket to Ride, and Love letter to great success, you can find them on taobao.com) Short clips of comedy like Mr. Bean and the new Mickey Mouse series are good, ask questions about what they remember about the scenerio, can they act it out? Good for laughs. Don't just put a movie on and veg. though, you will never improve as a teacher like that, but once in a while as a treat I don't see the problem as long as you get them talking about it and to you. I guess what you want to do is imagine you are the students age/level and pretend you are hanging out, what would you talk about, what would your interests be, what would be fun to do?

Its really up to you how much effort you want to put into it, teaching in China in that type of situation is super easy, but you can make it GREAT for the students if you really prepare well.

Are you looking at working for a private company or doing something with the government? I'm doing JET right now which is done through the government.

I have a college diploma, a university bachelor's degree and 7 years of teaching conversational English at an English school in Canada.

For jet the Bachelor's is the most important, but other qualifications like the latter for me also helped with my selection I think.

Thanks.
I'm more interested in private I guess,
I haven't heard too many good things about Jet ( you are forbidden to use Japanse with your co- workers even if you speak it well )

Wow you have 7 yearsteaching exp.
Maybe I should look to volunteer somewhere .
I saw some Internet jobs , teaching English through the Internet.
In wonder if that would help.

lupinko

Thanks.
I'm more interested in private I guess,
I haven't heard too many good things about Jet ( you are forbidden to use Japanse with your co- workers even if you speak it well )

Wow you have 7 yearsteaching exp.
Maybe I should look to volunteer somewhere .
I saw some Internet jobs , teaching English through the Internet.
In wonder if that would help.

Since when? I use it all the time, and this is the first I've ever heard of it. Also for teaching in Japan, JET is usually the way to go because it is the government. And also many board of educations who get other teachers tend to hire ex-JETs in addition to their JETs.

If anything the horror stories I've heard were all about private firms.

Jintor

You're absolutely not forbidden. Even if you were, how could they practically hope to enforce that?

Jet problems are probably more with frustrations with the Japanese education system than anything, at least on the teaching side of things

Exodist

I'm hoping to apply for JET as soon as the applications begin this October. I live in the UK and I heard about the JET programme just before I went into University (not long after I was accepted) and since then I've pretty much decided that's what I want to do when I finished. I graduated this past July but due to money issues it wasn't best for me to apply the past year. I'm currently sorting out my references and transcript in preparation for the application but I'm a little worried since it requires two references. I've never actually had a job (straight from School to Sixth Form to University) and I only have one person I'd really trust to write a reference for me at University. I've emailed two people regardless, but I'm hoping to get an employer reference since I'm very soon starting a job to save money for the programme, and I think it would be best for an academic and work reference.

At anyrate, I'm interested in contacting people here who have successfully gotten onto the JET programme, but also people who did so in the UK, so I can understand exactly how the UK version of JET does things. As far as I'm aware they're usually pretty similar but I suspect there may be some differences between the US/UK JET application and interview process. As for my credentials, I have none really, just my BA degree. I plan on starting to learn some basic Japanese to at least display an interest and willingness into learning the language, but apart from that no teaching experience. Any tips and help would be appreciated, thanks.

Tekniqs

You're a US citizen with a US passport, and your last 7 years of school education were done in the US, and you have a bachelor's degree. Do a TEFL and you're good to go!

I've just returned to the UK after two years in Korea. It has been the best thing I've ever done, no doubt about it. I've applied to do a CELTA in Barcelona in November, and thinking Spain or Japan by the new year!

THAT'S AWESOME NEWS! This 'idea' just may turn into a reality for me!

edit: any suggestions for the TEFL? I'm currently looking up things about it online...

Since when? I use it all the time, and this is the first I've ever heard of it. Also for teaching in Japan, JET is usually the way to go because it is the government. And also many board of educations who get other teachers tend to hire ex-JETs in addition to their JETs.

If anything the horror stories I've heard were all about private firms.

Thanks!
I guess the stuff i heard is not true .

What area are you in? If I may ask.

lupinko

I'm at the English speech contest this morning with my kids. Wish them luck GAF!

I want my kids to break the competition like Ivan Drago breaking Apollo Creed.

Laieon

Like Sasimirobot suggested, you could always turn it into more of a discussion based class. Here's a pretty good list of topics.

While I was unsuccessful in finding an appropriate TEFL teaching job, I did get a gig where I'm going to Chengdu and possibly Beijing for a few months. Any living tips for Chengdu? I think I remember someone here saying it was a shit hole...

numble

While I was unsuccessful in finding an appropriate TEFL teaching job, I did get a gig where I'm going to Chengdu and possibly Beijing for a few months. Any living tips for Chengdu? I think I remember someone here saying it was a shit hole...
Chengdu didn't seem bad from what I saw of it. It should at least be a major city with a bit of foreigner presence, if that's what you're into. And then you're still close to a lot of the very nice nature spots as well.

lupinko

My girls were indeed Ivan Drago, but they lost to Rocky. :/

Good effort all around and I'm proud of them even though me and many of my peers thought the judging was iffy.

Just sayin!

numble

Here's the deal:
I am an American attorney who has started a "virtual" solo practice. Business is virtually nonexistent at the moment.
I am living in Southeast Asia. I met a girl from Tokyo the other day (a flight attendant), and it got me thinking about going to Japan. I can't afford to live there on the money I make from doing freelance internet writing and the few-and-far-between legal jobs, so I would love to teach english there for at least a year.
It sounds like the private companies are the way to go. Do any of them upgrade you to a "business English" teaching, or is there a special program for those who have expertise like myself? What would you guys recommend I apply for? Are there recruiters for this kind of thing?
Any advice would be appreciated!

To clarify: I have bachelor's, master's and J.D. degrees. Does that help?

Wow, maybe I should do that!
Though I'd like to give Tokyo a try. I spent the day with that girl and have been talking with her since. Would love to see if things work out!

Oh, I didn't know you were an attorney. If you can read Chinese, you can make very good money doing document review. I know of a bunch of US attorneys making $65/hour + OT in China just reviewing Chinese documents all day.

Now if you can't read Chinese, there is good incentive for you to learn.

There is also this program in Shenzhen run by Peking University where they need people to teach Chinese students legal english:
http://chinaipr.com/2013/11/04/2014...chool-of-transnational-law-in-shenzhen-china/

Looks like they're done hiring for the year, though.

There should be a pretty big market for people wanting to improve business/legal English, I feel. I feel like they would want private lessons, and in Beijing/Shanghai though. If you're in Beijing, I would try testing the waters.

Scarecrow

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm teaching in Wuhan and my class sizes are around 40 each with college age kids.

While the vast majority of each class can keep up a convo with me, some are very poor english speakers. I'm not sure how to go about teaching the whole class while at the same time improving on the less skilled students.

GeekyDad

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm teaching in Wuhan and my class sizes are around 40 each with college age kids.

While the vast majority of each class can keep up a convo with me, some are very poor english speakers. I'm not sure how to go about teaching the whole class while at the same time improving on the less skilled students.

Perhaps consider setting aside a few minutes each class to cover fundamentals as a "review."

sasimirobot

You can't. Split them up into groups of 5-6, with at least one having a decent grasp of english. Assign role playing skits, help them flesh out scenarios like a dinner party/school reunion/tour of a city ( these of top off my head, maybe a bit lame, but you can come up with better I'm sure)...Then the next class they can act out these skits. You are not going to be able to hold a convo. class with that many students, if you even asked "whats your name" class would be over before everyone could even answer. Some other ideas that I have used in this type of class include:

-Teams come up with inventions (silly or real) and present them to class

-Teams present a dating or game show

-Short skits/movies filmed with Cell phones, that they can work on between classes with their own ideas. some of these can be great!

Its pretty much limitless what you could do, try a few things and see what sticks. Trust me once you find something to get them motivated you will see some really creative and outgoing things.

So I just took a teaching gig in Hangzhou. The pay and hours are decent, and I'll be teaching primary school kids, which is my preference. A lot of people are surprised to hear that as more often that not foreign teachers tend to prefer teaching high-schoolers or adults. Can't wait to be back! They say they can get the z visa and work permit done in 3 weeks, which is surprising but I'm hoping it works out.

Any gaffers teaching in Hangzhou, elsewhere in Zhejiang, or Shanghai now? Also, when are we gonna get on top of making that China GAF OT? We need one to rival the new Japan thread!

Oh, I didn't know you were an attorney. If you can read Chinese, you can make very good money doing document review. I know of a bunch of US attorneys making $65/hour + OT in China just reviewing Chinese documents all day.

Now if you can't read Chinese, there is good incentive for you to learn.

There is also this program in Shenzhen run by Peking University where they need people to teach Chinese students legal english:
http://chinaipr.com/2013/11/04/2014...chool-of-transnational-law-in-shenzhen-china/

Looks like they're done hiring for the year, though.

There should be a pretty big market for people wanting to improve business/legal English, I feel. I feel like they would want private lessons, and in Beijing/Shanghai though. If you're in Beijing, I would try testing the waters.

Awesome. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for this and the PM. Do they have a Craigslist equivalent where people advertise these services?

Lock your windows. I'm near downtown if you want to grab a drink.

Haha, okay. Good news is that I'm apparently not staying in Chengdu the whole time. Going to Beijing at some point. I will definitely hit you up, though!

Haha, okay. Good news is that I'm apparently not staying in Chengdu the whole time. Going to Beijing at some point. I will definitely hit you up, though!

Whoa whoa whoa, Chengdu is an amazing place! Best food in China by a mile, relatively relaxed pace of life, great nightlife, and all my Chinese friends swear that Chengdu is where all the most beautiful women in China are. I can't really verify that last one, though; as far as I can tell there's a mix just like any major city.

Anyway, Chengdu is my favorite city in China. I would be there for sure had this Hangzhou school not offered me such an amazing contract. I'm a little disappointed; Hangzhou food is incredibly bland compared to Chengdu food. I guess I'll live.

numble

Awesome. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for this and the PM. Do they have a Craigslist equivalent where people advertise these services?
I know there's a Craigslist but I don't know how much it is used in Chinese cities. Beijing has thebeijinger.com, as a pretty good portal for expats with a classified section. But I bet people wanting to improve their English aren't hitting up expat sites.

sohois

HappyBivouac said:
So I just took a teaching gig in Hangzhou. The pay and hours are decent, and I'll be teaching primary school kids, which is my preference. A lot of people are surprised to hear that as more often that not foreign teachers tend to prefer teaching high-schoolers or adults. Can't wait to be back! They say they can get the z visa and work permit done in 3 weeks, which is surprising but I'm hoping it works out.

Any gaffers teaching in Hangzhou, elsewhere in Zhejiang, or Shanghai now? Also, when are we gonna get on top of making that China GAF OT? We need one to rival the new Japan thread!

I'm over in Shanghai and I believe there are a handful of other gaffers here.

Douban
Baixing
Ganji

are all chinese listing sites a la Craigslist. Better be able to read Chinese to use them, though.

Hi guys. It looks like this is the best place to ask for some advice regarding a small issue I currently have. Those who have experience of teaching in China will probably be best suited to helping me out here.

I've been offered a job to teach at a franchise (in Chengdu actually) of a teaching organisation recently and while at first everything was peachy after receiving the offer it now looks like they want me to come over on a L (Tourist Visa) rather than the Z (Work) Visa I thought they were setting me up with. I've been reading horror stories about how employees get bent-over by their employers when they're over on Tourist Visas, and, really, I just what to get a job in China the honest way after reading that the laws around teaching were tightened up last year. They say they'll set me up with the Work Visa later on, but I don't want to be too naive about all of this and end up in a sticky situation when I arrive there - or end up getting in to trouble with the authorities later on.

So any advice? Or advice in general for a first timer looking to work in China?

I've got a degree (in English), a good TEFL certification, and a years worth of work experience (I've been saving like mad these past few months) but I don't have the 1-2 years teaching experience that's asked for everywhere. I'm also 22 and I only graduated about 15 months ago - this might be my biggest problem. Am I out of luck in terms of getting an actual Z-Visa with schools in China because of this?

Also: Great thread guys, some of the advice here has been wonderfully helpful.

There's plenty of jobs in China, so if they aren't going to go all out for a work visa, fuck them.

The experience thing changes depending on province and just plain luck to be honest.

So I just graduated this past May and I've been looking into the JET Programme. I know the application process doesn't start until next month, but what should I do to prepare in advance?

I read above that you need two references, which should be no problem at all. I was born in Japan (I'm an American and have no proficiency with the Japanese language), and I've always wanted to go back and at least visit. This might be a silly question, but does this help my chances at all? I also have no teaching experience.

Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

numble

Hi guys. It looks like this is the best place to ask for some advice regarding a small issue I currently have. Those who have experience of teaching in China will probably be best suited to helping me out here.

I've been offered a job to teach at a franchise (in Chengdu actually) of a teaching organisation recently and while at first everything was peachy after receiving the offer it now looks like they want me to come over on a L (Tourist Visa) rather than the Z (Work) Visa I thought they were setting me up with. I've been reading horror stories about how employees get bent-over by their employers when they're over on Tourist Visas, and, really, I just what to get a job in China the honest way after reading that the laws around teaching were tightened up last year. They say they'll set me up with the Work Visa later on, but I don't want to be too naive about all of this and end up in a sticky situation when I arrive there - or end up getting in to trouble with the authorities later on.

I've got a degree (in English), a good TEFL certification, and a years worth of work experience (I've been saving like mad these past few months) but I don't have the 1-2 years teaching experience that's asked for everywhere. I'm also 22 and I only graduated about 15 months ago - this might be my biggest problem. Am I out of luck in terms of getting an actual Z-Visa with schools in China because of this?

From what I hear places should be able to arrange a visa for you and they may be doing this just to avoid tax.

I think you should apply to those other places even if you don't have the experience listed in the ad.

WoodWERD

What's their excuse at this point? If it's a lesser known language center I probably wouldn't risk it. Give it some time and a few posters here will tell you it's not a big deal to get it converted, which in some places may be correct. Sichuan is not one of the more lax provinces from what I can tell. I transferred from a private college to a public uni this year and was still asked to provide additional work experience to meet the 2 year requirement. If you have some student teaching, tutoring, etc. experience during your college years I'd put that on the resume and see what kind of responses you get with other places offering the Z visa. That said, there are people in Chengdu teaching on all sorts of visas, so it comes down to how much of a risk-taker you are and whether you want your legal status in question for however long. For me it was worth the extra time and hoop jumping so that I could breathe easy (ha!) once I got here.

GeekyDad

With a degree, TEFL, and experience, sounds like you should be holding out for an offer from a reputable university that's willing to give you everything you want.

You're gonna be a far way from home. I wouldn't take a chance on a firm that is already changing the parameters before you've accepted the offer. I'd walk away.

sohois

I would normally be one to say just go for it, as a lot of places will only offer tourist visas initially and technically the requirement for work visas is 25 years old nowadays.

However with the strength of your resume there is no reason to not hold out for a place offering a proper work visa. Unless the school is offering a really good deal, wait for somewhere else

WoodWERD

I couldn't find a SK OT so I'll ask here: anyone know if Chinese National week (10/1-10/7) is a bad time to visit SK? It's supposedly a hellish time to travel in-country, but I'm just picturing throngs of Chinese tourists heading to their neighbor's place too.

A work visa shouldnt be a problem for any legal school to get...

They either dont want to pay the Z-Visa for you, dont have a clue about how to apply for one (a lot of chinese companies dont know this...) or are just a small school, that "uses" foreigners to work for them for almost nothing compared to what they are earning.

Let me just say something. A foreign teacher can earn up to 18.000 RMB each month in XDF if you start there, the biggest language school in China. And thats not a 40 hour week, but more like 25-30. Of course if you work for XDF you need either guanxi/good relationships or you have a lot of degrees.
And of course even if they pay you 18.000 RMB they still earn a lot. The middle school teachers earn even more. Heard they earn about 30.000-40.000 RMB each month.

I know someone who works for XDF. I have the important figures somewhere here ;)

So seeing this you can see a lot of schools are just "using" cheap foreigners to make a lot of dosh.

What's their excuse at this point? If it's a lesser known language center I probably wouldn't risk it. Give it some time and a few posters here will tell you it's not a big deal to get it converted, which in some places may be correct

You usually cant convert a L-Visa easily to a Z-Visa. Afaik you can convert an M-Visa with guanxi to a Z-Visa and an X2-Visa.

I couldn't find a SK OT so I'll ask here: anyone know if Chinese National week (10/1-10/7) is a bad time to visit SK? It's supposedly a hellish time to travel in-country, but I'm just picturing throngs of Chinese tourists heading to their neighbor's place too.

Go anywhere except Beijing. Half the country floods into that city like.. jesus. I still have nightmares from the crowds and barricades.

Going to start getting some basic things ready for JET application this year. Been mulling Interac around in my head for awhile too. I might apply to theirs just to see where it gets me as a potential back up.

Also with my random interest in Korea within the last year might look into EPIK as well. My cousin went to Korea for his teaching job a few years ago or something (mom told me about it as I only met him like twice in my life) and hated it though. Then again only thing I remember about the guy is he complains about everything lol.

Gonna discuss all this with one of my letter of recommendation writers soon hopefully. Been hearing rumblings that the JET applications were moved up either a week or several weeks this year meaning the details will be dropping this week, or in the middle of the month as opposed to Halloween like last year.

Yay another several months of nervous waiting~

Ryan_

Hi all

I'm looking for a place in Asia to do my last internship to become an English teacher. I'm from Belgium and I already have a bit of experience thanks to the previous internships (all in Belgium tho). So I'm looking for an (unpaid or paid) internship of about 2-3 months in early 2015 and thought that some TEFL organisations would perhaps be interested.

My question is, does anyone know any organisations or has anyone done their internship like this? Mind you, I do not have a CELTA cert yet. It would be an internship for a Belgian college.

morch

I have a job offer to work for Sino Bright in China teaching english and a specific subject which i have with a degree, i work in the british education system as support staff...

been offered about 12k / month and free apartment

they seem really nice from the people i've spoken to, but anyone have advice about what i should ask about?

Whoa whoa whoa, Chengdu is an amazing place! Best food in China by a mile, relatively relaxed pace of life, great nightlife, and all my Chinese friends swear that Chengdu is where all the most beautiful women in China are. I can't really verify that last one, though; as far as I can tell there's a mix just like any major city.

Anyway, Chengdu is my favorite city in China. I would be there for sure had this Hangzhou school not offered me such an amazing contract. I'm a little disappointed; Hangzhou food is incredibly bland compared to Chengdu food. I guess I'll live.

Yes, I see that now! I was concerned about his "lock your windows" comment, thinking that it was specifically a high-crime city.

Super excited to go. I fly to Chongqing Friday, then to Chengdu the following week. Business may take us to Beijing, as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

numble

I have a job offer to work for Sino Bright in China teaching english and a specific subject which i have with a degree, i work in the british education system as support staff...

they seem really nice from the people i've spoken to, but anyone have advice about what i should ask about?
Looks like some people get air tickets paid, maybe you want to confirm hours, maybe you want to see how they deal with vacation time/summer.

sohois

How much is the free apartment? Do you have the opportunity to get money instead?

Ask about work hours mainly the requirements for classroom hours AND office hours. Some places ask you to spend X amount of time in class, but won't say until later that you have to spend Y amount of time just hanging around the office.

If you have to pay for gas/water/electricity/internet/etc.

Distance of the apartment to the school and if they will cover travel costs.

What visa they are going to sponsor (Z is the work visa).

morch

Looks like some people get air tickets paid, maybe you want to confirm hours, maybe you want to see how they deal with vacation time/summer.

My contract says i would receive a air ticket every june for about 1500$ on showing receipt.

morch

Ask about work hours mainly the requirements for classroom hours AND office hours. Some places ask you to spend X amount of time in class, but won't say until later that you have to spend Y amount of time just hanging around the office.

If you have to pay for gas/water/electricity/internet/etc.

Distance of the apartment to the school and if they will cover travel costs.

What visa they are going to sponsor (Z is the work visa).

It looks like i have to pay household bills, the apartment is on their campus they say so im guessing close, its a z visa, i remembered to ask that, they haven't said a specific city yet.

My contract says monday to friday 7:30-4:30 with 22-23/30 teaching blocks but that i kinda need to linger in case

This is teaching middle/high school chemistry in English to esl speakers, but the kids get 2 hours English a day.

Theres odd contract clauses like if theres Thursday and Friday public holiday, i work Saturday and Sunday, and if i was to give 2 months quitting there's a 10000rmb fee.

I work in state school sector in 13th coolest neighbourhood in world (no so cool, hackney lol)

Really not sure of it compared to the deals other people have said they got

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom