• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if i was to give 2 months quitting there's a 10000rmb fee.

This is a bit worrying to me. The contract I just signed requires a 2 month notice, but the only thing I give up by doing so is my end-of-contract bonus
but hey, it's China, so who knows if the contract will mean anything to begin with!

morch

The justification is recruiting replacement, but cause of china national day i got until next week to think of what to ask agent and school representative

WoodWERD

Yes, I see that now! I was concerned about his "lock your windows" comment, thinking that it was specifically a high-crime city.

Super excited to go. I fly to Chongqing Friday, then to Chengdu the following week. Business may take us to Beijing, as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I was just bitter about the loss, but I'm sure you've noticed every apartment complex in China has bars and barbwire. We didn't have bars, now we do :\

To the last few posts: working weekends to make up for a holiday is just how they roll here. It's lame, but not worth losing sleep over. Sounds like your airfare reimbursement is solid, I think I get 10 or 12k. Paying your own bills sounds like a headache, I'd see if you can get them to include it. The only "bill" I have here is my cell phone, to which I walk down the street and give some random shop 40 kuai for a month of service.

Jintor

Englipedia is a great site, but their shoutbox community is utterly nutter paranoid about this troll that's been harassing them for some time. I just got banned for apparently being one of his alt accounts... which, needless to say, I am not.

So I guess I'm looking for a different livechat community to hang out with during school hours.

I'm in Chongqing for my job now, and the food here is mind-blowingly good. Good thing I love spicy stuff.

They set me up with a huge apartment and have been buying all of my food. Feels good man.

GeekyDad

I'm in Chongqing for my job now, and the food here is mind-blowingly good. Good thing I love spicy stuff.

They set me up with a huge apartment and have been buying all of my food. Feels good man.

Congrats. How would you rate the air quality so far?

morch

The company has confirmed my job offer is in zhucheng and i have a day or so left to decide, there is also a kunmin vacancy but they're pushing me towards to the zhucheng one which would suggest they're rather desperate to find teachers, especially as i have no direct teaching experience

Is this the case in China a lot of the time?

I'm really tempted because the money sounds good, they sound serious about the children's education which is a good sign and are accredited by the british columbian board of education. But i can't find anything like stories of teachers from there or anything how well they look after staff inregards to workload and expectation, which from working in a UK school, contracts can be deceiving!

The company has confirmed my job offer is in zhucheng and i have a day or so left to decide, there is also a kunmin vacancy but they're pushing me towards to the zhucheng one which would suggest they're rather desperate to find teachers, especially as i have no direct teaching experience

Is this the case in China a lot of the time?

I'm really tempted because the money sounds good, they sound serious about the children's education which is a good sign and are accredited by the british columbian board of education. But i can't find anything like stories of teachers from there or anything how well they look after staff inregards to workload and expectation, which from working in a UK school, contracts can be deceiving!

To the bolded: in the vast majority of cases, yes it is.

There are more and more people every year moving to China to take teaching jobs, but the demand is huge all around the country, and the fact is that most schools in smaller cities just want any foreigner who speaks decent English. They would be choosy if they could, but they simply don't have that luxury in most cases. Bigger cities with bigger foreign populations present a slightly different story, but even then there are still English training schools on every corner and often not enough foreign teachers to fill all the positions out there.

What this also means is that you won't often find reliable accounts of what a school is like just by searching online. And if you do find a "review" or something, keep in mind that because schools will often take whatever teacher that they can get, the people who are quick to complain about a school might themselves be the problem. I've met too many "teachers" in China who don't take education seriously, slack off most of the time, and honestly don't belong anywhere near a teaching job. Complaints from these people mean very little when they're showing up 10 minutes late to class and expect everything to be just fine.

There are a few schools here and there that will legitimately screw you over, though, and you need to be prepared for that possibility. Just know that if you're being forced to do an unreasonable amount of hours without overtime pay or something of that sort, you can start looking for other jobs and not have too much difficulty finding something else. If your employer is screwing you, do not hesitate to jump ship for something better. I had to do this once, and it was entirely worth it. Went from the worst work environment I've ever experienced, to the absolute best I've experienced.

Use your own personal judgment. Be prepared for an awesome experience, but also be prepared for the worst, just in case.

And my number one piece of advice, though not relevant to your immediate concerns: If you want to have a good experience in China, make lots of friends and come with an open mind. Things will not be like they are in the west, and they'll be different in ways you hadn't even thought of. Just take it all in, make some good friends, and have a blast.

pubba

HappyBivouac has some excellent advice and it's well written too.

I agree with the statement regarding job availability here. There were some changes made to work visa rules last year (I think?) and since then there has been a huge surge in teacher demand across China.

I've been here in China for two years and just started my 4th job a couple of days ago. The first job lasted 2 weeks before I quit, the second in Nanjing was better and I worked for a startup training centre for just over a year. In January I upgraded again to a full time kindy job in Wuxi, where I lasted 9 months before being offered a job here in suzhou. My new school basically offered me double my previous salary to move here, and the workload is ridiculously easy compared to any other job I've had teaching ESL.

I'm sure you will love China. It's exotic, confusing, beautiful, ugly, absurd and surreal. I've never been happier! Every day presents something new and it's a life-affirming place to be.

I've never heard of a 10k penalty for leaving before a contract is finished. My last school had a 60 day clause in the contract, so I resigned at the end of July and left 2 months later.

Some other positives of living in China: the cost of living is fantastic. I've struggled to save money before living here. The travel options are also great; Japan, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand and Korea are all wonderful places to visit and they are only a few hours away.

You will have no problem making friends. The term 'language exchange' is all you need. Are you single? Before I got married I was dating non-stop and I look like John Goodman.

If you ever visit Suzhou, let me know. That goes for all China-GAF.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was curious if the language schools have been having issues with all the recent changes in foreign worker rules. Some counties have had them for a while and others just started them but they got stricter recently because of the debacle at Jakarta International School. I know the required experience restrictions have been giving some international schools, including the one I work at, big headaches with trying to get around them through bribes and loopholes, but I hadn't really heard anything in regards to the language schools and whether they have been affected at all.

I was curious if the language schools have been having issues with all the recent changes in foreign worker rules. Some counties have had them for a while and others just started them but they got stricter recently because of the debacle at Jakarta International School. I know the required experience restrictions have been giving some international schools, including the one I work at, big headaches with trying to get around them through bribes and loopholes, but I hadn't really heard anything in regards to the language schools and whether they have been affected at all.

From asking around, what I've heard is "it depends on the province/city." In other words, the officials in more developed cities tend to take the rules more seriously, and in less-developed areas they don't really give a shit. Schools in less-developed areas still hire people on tourist visas and advertise "no degree required!" even though it's the law.

I'm sure you will love China. It's exotic, confusing, beautiful, ugly, absurd and surreal. I've never been happier! Every day presents something new and it's a life-affirming place to be.

I've never heard of a 10k penalty for leaving before a contract is finished. My last school had a 60 day clause in the contract, so I resigned at the end of July and left 2 months later.

Some other positives of living in China: the cost of living is fantastic. I've struggled to save money before living here. The travel options are also great; Japan, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand and Korea are all wonderful places to visit and they are only a few hours away.

You will have no problem making friends. The term 'language exchange' is all you need. Are you single? Before I got married I was dating non-stop and I look like John Goodman.

I love your description of life in China. It's perfect.

Also, yes, it's undeniably a great place to be if you're single and looking. That's a valid quality-of-life consideration in and of itself. We could have a long conversation about how foreign guys can get whatever action they want in China and whether it's really true or not, but you have to understand that it's also just a matter of living in such a heavily-populated place. More people = more dating possibilities. If you're young and not looking to settle, it's great. Just don't be one of those guys who goes around cheating and makes the rest of us look bad.

Side note: I'm seeing there are more and more of us, and I kind of want to start putting together an OT for China-GAF. Probably won't happen until I'm actually back in China next month, however. Until then, if anyone would like to help me compile some useful info, links, videos, write-ups and so forth, that would be great! Feel free to PM.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
From asking around, what I've heard is "it depends on the province/city." In other words, the officials in more developed cities tend to take the rules more seriously, and in less-developed areas they don't really give a shit. Schools in less-developed areas still hire people on tourist visas and advertise "no degree required!" even though it's the law.

Makes sense. After all the headache, we actually got a pass in the end because the son of a high ranking government official goes to our elementary school, but other schools in our city had to go through significant hoops.

I'm in Chongqing, full of beautiful women. Where's the best place to go and what's the introduction line? I am better looking than John Goodman, if not by a lot.

sasimirobot

I'm in Chongqing, full of beautiful women. Where's the best place to go and what's the introduction line? I am better looking than John Goodman, if not by a lot.

Just open a Weixin/Wechat account and start reeling them in by the boatloads. Or just go to any bar and walk up to any woman you want and say "hello".

Anywhere, and "Hi, what's your name?" It doesn't take much. Just be friendly.

EDIT: I see it's already been covered.

pashmilla

Banned
So I'm currently in my first year of uni (doing an English Language degree) and teaching English in Asia is definitely something I'm looking at for after graduation. I'm torn between Korea and Japan atm, can anyone offer any suggestions as to why one might be better than the other/pros and cons, etc.?

Side note: I'm seeing there are more and more of us, and I kind of want to start putting together an OT for China-GAF. Probably won't happen until I'm actually back in China next month, however. Until then, if anyone would like to help me compile some useful info, links, videos, write-ups and so forth, that would be great! Feel free to PM.

The good, the bad or the ugly?

Its nice being back in Germany once in a while and dont have to deal with dirty places, spitting people, rude drivers etc. ;)

So I'm currently in my first year of uni (doing an English Language degree) and teaching English in Asia is definitely something I'm looking at for after graduation. I'm torn between Korea and Japan atm, can anyone offer any suggestions as to why one might be better than the other/pros and cons, etc.?

Not an expert nor have I lived there myself and been asking that very question myself as I contemplate filling out an application for Japan. Heres my list/thoughts

Japan pros:
It's Japan, sounds silly but it does count for a lot depending on why, even if it stems from anime, video games, or martial arts.
Sounds like a nice place to get away for a year and grow alone/get to know yourself
Possibility of being in the middle of nowhere countryside are high
Multiple fronts of interest are here for me in terms of media and sociological interests
Not a very hard place to live
Fairly safe but crap happens of course, mean that in multiple ways crime, transportation ect.
Considered an "easy" job

Cons:
The countries bureaucracy causes more issues than it prevents, but they still don't realize or recognize it. Causes foreigners to pull their hair out.
Has not changed much. Problems from 20-30 years ago are still problems. Maybe not as many but still there. This slow to change pace can be annoying.
Have to pay for a surprising amount of stuff, even with the more cushy companies.
Jaded English community there/been there aka superiority complex. Those people seem to hate anyone with an actual interest in Japan, even if its simply from as before, anime ect. Same hate gets applied to people who have more serious reasons for wanting to go. Bunch of D-bags it seems haha.
Chance of being in the middle of nowhere is high, but once again can be a pro if your like me.
Chance of being in Tokyo is high, can be a pro. It was just announced that places like JET are looking to up the number of Tokyo placements from 10 to 500. This is of course likely because of the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. That said, it means there will be a ton of people having to set up their own pad, in one of the most expensive cities in the world.
Decreasing value of the Yen.
Decreasing pay scale overall, can still live fine if your not buying your imported orange juice from Florida every morning.
Lack of any real interest of the world outside Japan by a majority of the people/students, this varies of course but it can be an annoying chip on peoples shoulders by what I've read.
By the book society and work force that you will follow, even if its inefficient and outdated.
Terrible set up of roads, super small lanes, akward turning areas in intersections, a billion blind turns because roads/walls are built at intersections ect.
Very far behind technology wise, the tech capital connotation is from the late 80s early 90s. Over priced media, $60 DVDs or higher ect.

All that said it definitely can be great it seems. As we know most people only post about stuff like this in response to something negative not positive.

Korea Pros:
Not a complete steaming pile of a country anymore
Chances of being a city are high
Higher pay, more equal to what Japan was years ago
Depending on the company you get your apartment paid for, you just handle utitlies in most cases. some those are paid as well!
Interest in English seems a fair bit higher thanks to many of their celebs speaking English well. Very much a English=success mindset for many parents at the moment
Mostly modern society. Lots of up to date tech and what not in cities, in the country it can seem like the middle ages in a lot of spots. Seoul in particular spends a lot of money on making itself a futuristic city visually.
Level of English understanding is vastly higher than Japan for w/e reason
Lots to do outside of the job
Interest in selling the good sides of the country to foreigners no matter what it takes lol
Good road set up, very similar to America but newer in most cases.
Cheap public transportation, taxi's in particular are some of the cheapest in the world.
Insane internet speed
Seemingly a bit more friendly than Japan, some say more America like but thats a grain of salt comparison imo.

Bad:
Hit or miss reaction to foreigners. Some are welcomed openly some are pretty much told to go f themselves, not served at restaurants ect.
Visual society can seem extremely shallow. Unless you are trying to become some celebrity I don't really count this as an issue but some people do.
Despite the trend to be modern lots of old mindsets still permeate those who have never been outside the country.
Terrible drivers, lots of doing what ever they f they want.
Competitive schooling views for students can be draining for those not used to it.

Probably more but these are the ones I see most.

Like I said I don't live in either but looking online and talking to my cousin who did Korea a few years ago, this is what I see the most. In short it seems like Japan simply is stagnated in its systems which can be a problem, Korea is trying to be modern but their might be issues faced as well. These are just the considerations I got going in my mind.

Since its your first year of Uni you got time to decide and think on it more. Just keep an eye on both and weigh your options when the time comes.

Anywhere, and "Hi, what's your name?" It doesn't take much. Just be friendly.

EDIT: I see it's already been covered.

Possible success tonight from a club. We'll see if she responds to the WeChat invite.

Sorry for derailing the thread for love advice.

On topic, did I mention that I love it here? I may have to search out a teaching job so that I can stay in Chongqing after my work here is done. Then again, there's a flight attendant in Tokyo who wants to see me, as well.

I'm thinking that 90% of my decisions about going places are driven by women...

Possible success tonight from a club. We'll see if she responds to the WeChat invite.

Sorry for derailing the thread for love advice.

On topic, did I mention that I love it here? I may have to search out a teaching job so that I can stay in Chongqing after my work here is done. Then again, there's a flight attendant in Tokyo who wants to see me, as well.

I'm thinking that 90% of my decisions about going places are driven by women...

Hey, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Good luck!

The good, the bad or the ugly?

Its nice being back in Germany once in a while and dont have to deal with dirty places, spitting people, rude drivers etc. ;)

All of the above! But yeah, I hear you. I'm a weirdo, though; I enjoy the bluntness of the people and the grittiness of it all. I kind of bask in the "authenticity", if that makes any sense.

morch

Well I've said yes to my agent, she emailed me a load of forms, i need to ask when i should quit my job since i need to give 4 weeks notice... Anyone have any idea how long it will take at minimum? Im in London if that affects anything

Im really excited!

Well I've said yes to my agent, she emailed me a load of forms, i need to ask when i should quit my job since i need to give 4 weeks notice... Anyone have any idea how long it will take at minimum? Im in London if that affects anything

Im really excited!

That's awesome! So you'll be in zhucheng then? I'm not familiar with that particular city, but my past experiences with Shandong province have all been really pleasant. Shandong people on the whole tend to be very outgoing and genuine to strangers; a quality I really appreciate after spending time in Zhejiang where a lot of people seem to practice a kind of cold, rehearsed politeness.

morch

Nah, kunming branch, looks much nicer

My Japanese tutor is from qingdao originally and has done a lot of travelling and didn't know zhucheng existed until i showed her which made me wonder it's size.

Kunming looks beautiful. Good temperature range for a cracker like me ;)

Currently got some medical form and work permit details to fill out, i think I'll be there before Christmas.

Will 20000 rmb tide me over until first payday to settle in?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Japan Cons:
Very far behind technology wise, the tech capital connotation is from the late 80s early 90s. Over priced media, $60 DVDs or higher ect.

This is true, and hilarious considering the Western image of Japan as "futuristic".

Dat techno-orientalism.

Should be more than enough, but that obviously depends on your desired standard of living. I'm going back to China on a lot less than that, honestly.

Strangely the prices in Beijing to buy meat from a local market are higher than eating a meat dish in a restaurant nowadays.
The prices really are high now compared to about 2010 when I first visited China.

20.000 are more than enough though, but compared to a german supermarket I would say the price in chinese supermarkets (except some fruits/sweets) for almost everything is far higher now in Beijing than in Germany. Kinda strange to see, since most people earn far less.

Curious to see how Kunming, practically in the opposite corner of the country, compares with Beijing as far as cost of living.

(we really need that China GAF OT for these discussions)

My fiancée wants to teach english abroad. She will have her bachelors by next year but I haven't even started school yet. What are the chances of us being accepted together if I get a TEFL or TESL certificate?

Curious to see how Kunming, practically in the opposite corner of the country, compares with Beijing as far as cost of living.

We do, but I am not a native english speaker, so I wait for one to open it ;)

My fiancée wants to teach english abroad. She will have her bachelors by next year but I haven't even started school yet. What are the chances of us being accepted together if I get a TEFL or TESL certificate?

Depends which country and which school you apply for. In China for a good/big school like Xindongfang you would either need a TESL certificate or know someone who works there. Smaller schools take almost every native english speaker, if they arent black. But in my experience often screw you with the visa or a far too low salary.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Have to completely disagree with this point. Japan just moves differently from the west in those markets, where corporations have pushed in a different direction e.g. in the US and Europe card payment technology at the behest of Mastercard/Visa, digital music distribution from Apple and the recording industry to combat piracy, and so on. The general stuff you see day to day, from transport to internet/cellular connectivity, banking to event ticketing and even the bathrooms are leaps and bounds above anything in the west generally and certainly in the rest of Asia. (Speaking from experience of Tokyo - haven't lived in other regions). Because they prefer to use paper money than cards doesn't really change that.

morch

Yeah im pretty interested too, looks like ill be experimenting with food and my terrible mandarin, mainly employing geiwo zhege/nage

Siyou

To the bolded: in the vast majority of cases, yes it is.

There are more and more people every year moving to China to take teaching jobs, but the demand is huge all around the country, and the fact is that most schools in smaller cities just want any foreigner who speaks decent English. They would be choosy if they could, but they simply don't have that luxury in most cases. Bigger cities with bigger foreign populations present a slightly different story, but even then there are still English training schools on every corner and often not enough foreign teachers to fill all the positions out there.

What this also means is that you won't often find reliable accounts of what a school is like just by searching online. And if you do find a "review" or something, keep in mind that because schools will often take whatever teacher that they can get, the people who are quick to complain about a school might themselves be the problem. I've met too many "teachers" in China who don't take education seriously, slack off most of the time, and honestly don't belong anywhere near a teaching job. Complaints from these people mean very little when they're showing up 10 minutes late to class and expect everything to be just fine.

There are a few schools here and there that will legitimately screw you over, though, and you need to be prepared for that possibility. Just know that if you're being forced to do an unreasonable amount of hours without overtime pay or something of that sort, you can start looking for other jobs and not have too much difficulty finding something else. If your employer is screwing you, do not hesitate to jump ship for something better. I had to do this once, and it was entirely worth it. Went from the worst work environment I've ever experienced, to the absolute best I've experienced.

Use your own personal judgment. Be prepared for an awesome experience, but also be prepared for the worst, just in case.

And my number one piece of advice, though not relevant to your immediate concerns: If you want to have a good experience in China, make lots of friends and come with an open mind. Things will not be like they are in the west, and they'll be different in ways you hadn't even thought of. Just take it all in, make some good friends, and have a blast.

I'm curious how you accomplished this without any visa issues.

Depends which country and which school you apply for. In China for a good/big school like Xindongfang you would either need a TESL certificate or know someone who works there. Smaller schools take almost every native english speaker, if they arent black. But in my experience often screw you with the visa or a far too low salary.
Well that sucks but I'm not surprised as always. So China doesn't treat blacks well?
Is going the TEFL or TESL route even worth it to go with my fiancée? We don't want to get separated.

pje122

HappyBivouac has some excellent advice and it's well written too.

I agree with the statement regarding job availability here. There were some changes made to work visa rules last year (I think?) and since then there has been a huge surge in teacher demand across China.

I've been here in China for two years and just started my 4th job a couple of days ago. The first job lasted 2 weeks before I quit, the second in Nanjing was better and I worked for a startup training centre for just over a year. In January I upgraded again to a full time kindy job in Wuxi, where I lasted 9 months before being offered a job here in suzhou. My new school basically offered me double my previous salary to move here, and the workload is ridiculously easy compared to any other job I've had teaching ESL.

I visted Suzhou last year. Nice area.

Yeah it's a problem here in China for sure. There will be some job listings that will straight up say "whites only" or similar things. It's mostly due to parents, especially in small cities who are unable to understand multiculturalism. They think only white people can be native English speakers or come from English speaking countries. Very rarely do people believe me when I say I'm Canadian here just because I'm black. The word African was one of the first words I learned in Mandarin just because I kept hearing it so often.

Not exactly the same situation, but I have a Chinese friend here who studied English lit at an American university and spent 7 years in the country. His English is perfect and he has almost no accent. But he's still unable to get a good job as an English teacher. He has to settle for public schools because none of the high-paying private schools or the university want to hire Chinese teachers.
Extremely late on this but I figured as much. Always been sort of interested in teaching english abroad, more specifically in Asia but I know my race will definitely play a factor in getting a decent job.

sasimirobot

As for the blacks being treated "badly", that hasn't been my experience. At the training school I worked at in Xian the American black guy was the most popular and ended up being head manager. Also we currently employ a mixed guy and I have never heard of him having problems because of his skin color.

I get called Indian/xinjiang/mexican on occasion but I have never felt it was an insult, just curiosity, I'm half spanish btw. At the end of the day if you are not Han or fluent in Mandarin, you are gonna never fit in completely, the color of your skin is like a tiny part of the over all problem of being foreign in China. Not a deal breaker at all, especially if you have been exposed to Western form of "racism", and I use quotes because I feel the version most people experience is China is not malicious...

As for the blacks being treated "badly", that hasn't been my experience. At the training school I worked at in Xian the American black guy was the most popular and ended up being head manager. Also we currently employ a mixed guy and I have never heard of him having problems because of his skin color.

I get called Indian/xinjiang/mexican on occasion but I have never felt it was an insult, just curiosity, I'm half spanish btw. At the end of the day if you are not Han or fluent in Mandarin, you are gonna never fit in completely, the color of your skin is like a tiny part of the over all problem of being foreign in China. Not a deal breaker at all, especially if you have been exposed to Western form of "racism", and I use quotes because I feel the version most people experience is China is not malicious...

It is not malicious. It can be quite bad though. If you can speak and understand chinese and talk about black people, you often hear things like monkey/猴子 or similar things.
It actually feels more like a lot of people look down on black people, like in the 1900s in Europe.

Its also not a problem finding a "normal" job in China if you are black besides being a teacher, but a lot of schools are scared to employ black people, because the parents of the children dont want their children to be taught by black people. At least thats what I heard.
It also depends on the schools of course. XDF has a lot of black teachers.

Well that sucks but I'm not surprised as always. So China doesn't treat blacks well?
Is going the TEFL or TESL route even worth it to go with my fiancée? We don't want to get separated.

I wouldnt say they dont treat them well. If you arent causing any problems, I would say it wouldnt really matter.
But the general view of blacks is quite distorted in China. If you talk to someone about black people, often you hear things that would make me quite mad at them, even though they dont mean it in a bad way.

The younger, educated generation is more open though.

I'm curious how you accomplished this without any visa issues.

Often its not a problem if you have a working visa. The company you worked for just has to give the documents to the company you will work for.
Or if they are lazy they just dont report you to the PSB.

Of course I also heard of some companies that were "mad" that someone quit, told the PSB and they had to leave the country in 1 month IIRC.

Have to completely disagree with this point. Japan just moves differently from the west in those markets, where corporations have pushed in a different direction e.g. in the US and Europe card payment technology at the behest of Mastercard/Visa, digital music distribution from Apple and the recording industry to combat piracy, and so on. The general stuff you see day to day, from transport to internet/cellular connectivity, banking to event ticketing and even the bathrooms are leaps and bounds above anything in the west generally and certainly in the rest of Asia. (Speaking from experience of Tokyo - haven't lived in other regions). Because they prefer to use paper money than cards doesn't really change that.

Mmm I'd agree there, true enough. Though there are tons of contrasts to that. Seeing a ramen/buger vending machine still being used daily with a picture of a baseball star from 1987 on it is not hard to find though lol. Its definitely random at least in many ways, but agree with the them being on point with a lot of other stuff.

Bathrooms though, thats a dice roll to say the least. Find all the plug in toilets you want man, those holes in the ground still exist in mass haha.

aznpxdd

Are there anyone on GAF teaching English in Shanghai?

I'm currently attending a part time MBA program there and a lot of my classmates are looking for private English tutor for their kids.

GeekyDad

Don't wanna go too off-topic, but I have a question for China-GAF. I have been doing language exchanges with folks from China and Taiwan. I'm currently meeting with a mother and her son. She teaches me Mandarin, and in exchange, I'm helping her son with his English. He is a great kid but has trouble focusing. So, I want to try and make it more fun for him. I was thinking of doing some type of vocabulary game with him where he could earn points for each word he translates correctly. Then, once he accumulates enough points, he can be rewarded with a small prize. The boy loves Matchbox-type cars, but holy cow -- shipping to China is so expensive. So, I'm trying to figure out if there's some way I can just buy a gift certificate for him online and his mother receive it there. They live in Xi'an.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

sasimirobot

I assume you are in the states. Is there anyway for you to set up an Alipay account? If so you can check taobao.com for the items you want, send me the money by Alipay and I could buy them for you and sent it to the kid.

numble

I assume you are in the states. Is there anyway for you to set up an Alipay account? If so you can check taobao.com for the items you want, send me the money by Alipay and I could buy them for you and sent it to the kid.

Don't wanna go too off-topic, but I have a question for China-GAF. I have been doing language exchanges with folks from China and Taiwan. I'm currently meeting with a mother and her son. She teaches me Mandarin, and in exchange, I'm helping her son with his English. He is a great kid but has trouble focusing. So, I want to try and make it more fun for him. I was thinking of doing some type of vocabulary game with him where he could earn points for each word he translates correctly. Then, once he accumulates enough points, he can be rewarded with a small prize. The boy loves Matchbox-type cars, but holy cow -- shipping to China is so expensive. So, I'm trying to figure out if there's some way I can just buy a gift certificate for him online and his mother receive it there. They live in Xi'an.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Taobao also accepts international credit cards (I think they add 3% or 5% service charge) this can be an option. You just enter their address for shipping. You can also try setting up an account at Amazon.cn, it should also take international credit cards. You just enter their address for shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom