• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWERD

I've heard about TEFL. What does it consist of? Is it hard to obtain, and would it be better to earn one in-class or online seeing how cost varies from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars.

Thanks

I was going to suggest teaching in your recent thread. I'm 32 and gave up a cube career to move to China. October marked one year for me and I can't say I have any regrets. I work 2 days a week and have a 2 month vacation coming in January and then again in the summer. I make a fraction of what I used to, but that's not really an issue for me. You can pretty much craft your own lifestyle; if you want to put in some hours and make bank you can do that, or you can live pretty comfortably with minimal hours. I'd say it'd be a huge improvement over working retail if you can handle the culture shock and being far from friends/family. You certainly won't be shamed but definitely gawked at, but it's harmless and usually amusing.

As far as TEFL goes, it's better to have one than not imo. It's not a requirement everywhere but it's easy to get and I can't think of any good reasons not to get one. Mine was a combination of in-class and online, but I don't feel that I got a whole lot out of it honestly. It's good for getting your feet wet but not much beyond that in my experience. Online only certs are good enough for most, but if you have the option to do something in a classroom I'd say go for that as it looks better to potential employers. Give some job ads a look in places you're interested in and that should give you a pretty good idea of what is generally looked for.

sasimirobot

Got the job and the contract. My gf owns an apartment about 15 minutes from there by coincidence, so my salary before tax comes to 27,000RMB. Life is good.

congrats. hook me up
MaLHm8Z.png
MaLHm8Z.png
MaLHm8Z.png

lupinko

I bought Land Before Time (original) for my ninensei since the Diana Ross song is in the textbook but low and behold no Japanese subtitles!

Oh well it shouldn't be a total bummer given kids' attention spans, I remember in 9th grade in my Japanese class, my classmates watching Totoro (unsubbed) gave them mixed messages, luckily I had the dubbed VHS long ago.

I don't condone dubs but eh I can't do anything about it. At least the Japanese voice acting is decent and all the text is still in English as well as the Diana Ross song.

morch

Okay so the school i applied for in kunming has sent me visa invitation letter but it's for for zhucheng in shandong, i really don't want to go a backwater town. Can i pull out now without affecting future z visa chances?

numble

Okay so the school i applied for in kunming has sent me visa invitation letter but it's for for zhucheng in shandong, i really don't want to go a backwater town. Can i pull out now without affecting future z visa chances?

It should have no effect on other employers offering visa support to you, and you technically haven't submitted the visa application to the PRC embassy/consulate yet, so it shouldn't have an effect there either.

Blablurn

Hey guys. I might have a skype interview with a chinese school in the near future. I would like to know if you have some good advice on how to nail those interviews.

Are there any specific questions too maybe? Something that a Chinese school always wants to know? It's for a German teaching position.

And I've got another question:

Are those Tefl Online courses legit? I'm talking about something like this http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl . How do they work? Are you connected to some guy or even a class at some point? Or is it all you and your exercises?

Hey guys. I might have a skype interview with a chinese school in the near future. I would like to know if you have some good advice on how to nail those interviews.

Are there any specific questions too maybe? Something that a Chinese school always wants to know? It's for a German teaching position.

And I've got another question:

Are those Tefl Online courses legit? I'm talking about something like this http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl . How do they work? Are you connected to some guy or even a class at some point? Or is it all you and your exercises?

Actually, no. Its the schools that need you, not you that needs the schools. Most of the time at least. If you tell me the name of the school, I can check. Big schools like XDF and such want someone who can speak without any dialect and behaves well.
Smaller schools take pretty much everyone.

And you know you would need a Z-Visa to teach, right? I mean most schools will tell you something like "Hey. We can provide you a F- or M-Visa. No problem. If that doesnt work, a 3 months L-Visa is also cool. When you are here we will help you with everything." and then after the three months you are fucked and they dont remember ever saying they would help you.

you can get a job in china pretty easily if you get a tefl certificate
I've been thinking about doing this lately. My fiancée is about to finish up her bachelors and we both want to teach abroad. I was gonna either get a TEFL or TESOL certificate. Are they worth it? What's the likelihood we would be able to stay together as well.

I've been thinking about doing this lately. My fiancée is about to finish up her bachelors and we both want to teach abroad. I was gonna either get a TEFL or TESOL certificate. Are they worth it? What's the likelihood we would be able to stay together as well.

You can get more money if you have such a certificate.

Staying together.. If the school is looking for more than one teacher, that would be possible, but it depends on the school.
And judging by your username you seem to be black. It will be a bit harder for blacks to get a teaching position, at least in China, than for white people.

Blablurn

Actually, no. Its the schools that need you, not you that needs the schools. Most of the time at least. If you tell me the name of the school, I can check. Big schools like XDF and such want someone who can speak without any dialect and behaves well.
Smaller schools take pretty much everyone.

And you know you would need a Z-Visa to teach, right? I mean most schools will tell you something like "Hey. We can provide you a F- or M-Visa. No problem. If that doesnt work, a 3 months L-Visa is also cool. When you are here we will help you with everything." and then after the three months you are fucked and they dont remember ever saying they would help you.

Yeah, I know about the Z-Visa thing. I hope that wont be a problem.
I try to get something German-related but unfortunately the amount of jobs is way less compared to English teaching jobs.

I think my English is pretty good. Using it every day for years now. I'm sure I could do the job when it comes to basic English. But if they ask me to explain something like "present perfect" I don't know if I could deliver the answer.

On the other hand, when I was in China, friends of mine, got gigs in China even though their English skills were not that hot.

No idea. A German gig would certainly be better.

I was talking about this job . they even offered me an interview already but i asked for some more information before we go for it. maybe that was a noob move :/

but they dont mention the school and not the city.

at least the recruiter added me on skype. so maybe im not out of the race.

You can get more money if you have such a certificate.

Staying together.. If the school is looking for more than one teacher, that would be possible, but it depends on the school.
And judging by your username you seem to be black. It will be a bit harder for blacks to get a teaching position, at least in China, than for white people.
Thanks for the info. As far as it being harder for blacks, lets just say I'm pretty used to it by now lol.

Yeah, I know about the Z-Visa thing. I hope that wont be a problem.
I try to get something German-related but unfortunately the amount of jobs is way less compared to English teaching jobs.

I think my English is pretty good. Using it every day for years now. I'm sure I could do the job when it comes to basic English. But if they ask me to explain something like "present perfect" I don't know if I could deliver the answer.

On the other hand, when I was in China, friends of mine, got gigs in China even though their English skills were not that hot.

No idea. A German gig would certainly be better.

I was talking about this job . they even offered me an interview already but i asked for some more information before we go for it. maybe that was a noob move :/

but they dont mention the school and not the city.

at least the recruiter added me on skype. so maybe im not out of the race.

I see. Getting a Z-Visa got a bit more complicated since last year though. A lot of cities want 2 years of working experience nowadays...

As from what I can see is they need you asap. Which kinda means even if you behave bad you will easily get a job. You should still ask the name of the school, so you can check the internet. In the ad I can only see that its in Heilongjiang, but not the name of the school.

Thanks for the info. As far as it being harder for blacks, lets just say I'm pretty used to it by now lol.

It is still different in Asia than it is in the western world I would say. I know some schools flatly refuse employing a black person, because the parents of the children (if that the age you are going for) dont want their children to be taught by a black person. In a lot of ads you can even see they will never employ a black person.
I know XDF has some black person teaching the children, but they are the biggest language school there, so they would get enough children to enlist anyway.

Blablurn

I see. Getting a Z-Visa got a bit more complicated since last year though. A lot of cities want 2 years of working experience nowadays...

As from what I can see is they need you asap. Which kinda means even if you behave bad you will easily get a job. You should still ask the name of the school, so you can check the internet. In the ad I can only see that its in Heilongjiang, but not the name of the school.

It is still different in Asia than it is in the western world I would say. I know some schools flatly refuse employing a black person, because the parents of the children (if that the age you are going for) dont want their children to be taught by a black person. In a lot of ads you can even see they will never employ a black person.
I know XDF has some black person teaching the children, but they are the biggest language school there, so they would get enough children to enlist anyway.

Yeah, I asked for further information like the school name and the exact location in the email i sent them. They were nice actually. When I sent the first mail they pointed out that I forgot to add my CV lol.

Well, let's see, let's see.

Yeah, I asked for further information like the school name and the exact location in the email i sent them. They were nice actually. When I sent the first mail they pointed out that I forgot to add my CV lol.

Well, let's see, let's see.

If you have Weixin or QQ you can add me. I can tell you a bit more about such jobs. I was also looking for other jobs since I have a german law degree (1. Staatsexamen), but kinda hard to find another job with that degree, so I will just stay 1 more year there and maybe teach german there. Should have studied engineering ;)

Blablurn

If you have Weixin or QQ you can add me. I can tell you a bit more about such jobs. I was also looking for other jobs since I have a german law degree (1. Staatsexamen), but kinda hard to find another job with that degree, so I will just stay 1 more year there and maybe teach german there. Should have studied engineering ;)

My NeoGAF name is also my Weixin name : D I will gladly accept any help I can get haha

Yeah, engineering. Would have been kinda useful thinking back. I have my bachelor in Regionalstudien China & Sozialwissenschaften. For some reasone many people who graduated found smth. Unfortunately I have problems with that so far. I tried to look for something in Germany but the wait is starting to annoy me. So I was hoping that maybe China could work.

Zophar

If anyone wants a pretty solid ESL job (full-time, international school) with an apartment in Qingdao, PM me. You'll be my replacement as I'm moving back home. I'm making 15k/month and I'm certain they'd match that for you.

micster

Hey man! Just ogt my E-mail as well! Congrats to both of us! Now to truly think about it.
Congrats, fella! Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking. Or which seminar did you attend?

Just sent an application in myself! Any advice for the interview stage? :)

Good luck! I can only talk about the UK branch, but the Skype interview was very nice and relaxed. Make sure you read everything about the company on their FAQ just in case, have answers prepared for why you want to teach and why do it in Japan. Also have some questions to hand about the process.

It took me 23 days to go from applying to being given a job offer.

Grats to you guys who got accepted. Interac is my fallback if JET is a no go in January. Decided why not instead of thinking about it too much.

Just sent an application in myself! Any advice for the interview stage? :)
I am staffthe trainer with Interac in Chiba. Be yourself and don't go in with the mindset that being a native speaker is enough. The focus of the ALT is the students. The students are the ones you need to impress so think of how you plan to do that. Happy students equal happy schools equals happy BOEs equals happy Interac equals happy ALTs.

Laieon

Feeling pretty down. Found out today that I'm losing my job because my Hagwon isn't doing all that great financially. My boss gave me a months notice, and he said he'll pay for my apartment for another month so that I can find another job if I want to stay in Korea. I don't think he's going to pay for my return airfare though (if I choose to move back to the States), which is a pretty big bummer to say the least.

Hoping I can find another job in my city (Jeonju), because I love it here. I've only been here a little less than 5 months, so I don't really want to go through the whole "learn where everything is and find people to hang out with" thing again.

caesar

Banned
Feeling pretty down. Found out today that I'm losing my job because my Hagwon isn't doing all that great financially. My boss gave me a months notice, and he said he'll pay for my apartment for another month so that I can find another job if I want to stay in Korea. I don't think he's going to pay for my return airfare though (if I choose to move back to the States), which is a pretty big bummer to say the least.

Hoping I can find another job in my city (Jeonju), because I love it here. I've only been here a little less than 5 months, so I don't really want to go through the whole "learn where everything is and find people to hang out with" thing again.
Sorry to hear it, not an uncommon problem. Seoul always has plenty of hagwon jobs.

Shit that sucks, I am in Seoul and one of the part timers at my school is in the same situation. Their main school is closing down and the school was going to pay for the apartment for another two months but they negotiated and will pay for the flight back. Make sure you call the labour board to make sure you can get your flight. Immigration frowns on bosses leaving people in the country like that, it is usually one of the things hagown bosses have to take care of when they are settling everything up.

Congrats, fella! Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking. Or which seminar did you attend?

It took me 23 days to go from applying to being given a job offer.

Orlando, Florida! Been to Japan twice and finally made the decision yesterday to accept the offer! Dunno what city I'll be in but my hope is to be near Osaka, lol.

What cities you going for?

Fina1e

Is it possible for someone with just a B.A and no experience to find a decent hagwon gig or is it too saturated and I need a TESOL/Celta to even be considered?

micster

Orlando, Florida! Been to Japan twice and finally made the decision yesterday to accept the offer! Dunno what city I'll be in but my hope is to be near Osaka, lol.

What cities you going for?

Ah, awesome. Is it true you have to perform your demo lesson in front of the other candidates? Here in the UK we just do it to camera with one person in the room filming it.

Didn't really say any specifics. I did slightly mention around Osaka in the interview though, as that was my favourite part of my 2 months in Japan this year.

Ah, awesome. Is it true you have to perform your demo lesson in front of the other candidates? Here in the UK we just do it to camera with one person in the room filming it.

Didn't really say any specifics. I did slightly mention around Osaka in the interview though, as that was my favourite part of my 2 months in Japan this year.

Yup, we interviewed at a hotel in Orlando about a month ago. Only 5 of us showed up for the interview and when it came time to do our demos, we used the other candidates as an audience. Kicked ass though as I had some facilitation skills from my job.

Awesome, I'll see if I can settle in my area first before I ask for a transfer to Osaka or Tokyo. I know those places are off-limits until you get some experience from your first year working for them.

Jaffaboy

Is it possible for someone with just a B.A and no experience to find a decent hagwon gig or is it too saturated and I need a TESOL/Celta to even be considered?

There's loads of Hagwons out there and I think you could find a fairly decent one still with what you have, but I'd always recommend doing a TEFL even if it's just an online one for 100 hours (which takes 20 if you're smart :p). You can bang that out easily in a week, and it pays for itself with some knowledge and the boost to your resume. CELTA ain't necessary, but I've just completed mine and it's an amazing course, though quite tough. I'd only do one if you really really think teaching English is for you, but if it's just a year away stick to TEFL. You wouldn't be able to apply the stuff you learn from a CELTA in Korea anyway...

Jintor

Man, teaching elementary schoolers is so much more fun than teaching completely checked out junior high students

lupinko

I don't know how to deal with this crap at one of my schools. Basically I'm dealing with a really unprofessional and incompetent idiot.

Normally I separate work from life but shit has been bothering me for days now.

I'm not going to keep it real, since that would be stupid and in general not keeping it real has done me wonders in recent years.

Sigh, I'm conflicted because if I stop giving a shit I'd feel better but doing so compromises me as a professional and abandons the students' education which I really don't want to do.

Ugh, I wish I could discuss this further.

I don't know how to deal with this crap at one of my schools. Basically I'm dealing with a really unprofessional and incompetent idiot.

Normally I separate work from life but shit has been bothering me for days now.

I'm not going to keep it real, since that would be stupid and in general not keeping it real has done me wonders in recent years.

Sigh, I'm conflicted because if I stop giving a shit I'd feel better but doing so compromises me as a professional and abandons the students' education which I really don't want to do.

Ugh, I wish I could discuss this further.

Can't ya talk to a higher up about the situation? One thing I learned from the Interac presentation they showed us was that in case of ANY conflict with a fellow teacher, NEVER take the matter into your own hands. Better to get in touch with your company and let them take care of it.

lupinko

Can't ya talk to a higher up about the situation? One thing I learned from the Interac presentation they showed us was that in case of ANY conflict with a fellow teacher, NEVER take the matter into your own hands. Better to get in touch with your company and let them take care of it.

I've actually come to some peace with it now after some days raging in my own spare time. I have my advisors at the board of education but ultimately it's that teacher's classes, and I'm just the assistant. I don't wish to go further but I tried my best, I know I can't change the system but I tried to work around it and even that didn't go well.

It's not a battle worth fighting for, which does make me feel bad because it's those students in particular that I like the best since they were the ones who reached out to me when I first came here back in Feb. And I just want to not only help them for their exams but also inspire them in general. I know it's not going to affect all but even just one shows that I did something good. It sounds like inspiration believe crazy talk but hey it got me here.

I just have to work through this as professionally as possible. I already have to walk a tightrope trying to deal with the other absentminded teachers, one of them who openly mocked a disabled student in front of me, which to this day still pisses me off.

RivalCore

Hey English-Teaching-Gaffers.

I've been thinking about applying to teach English in Korea in the near enough future. I'll be finishing my current position teaching in an university come June so I'd ideally like to have something in motion before that. I applied a long time ago before I actually finished college and started my design/teaching career so I'm familiar enough with the application process.

So my questions for the people teaching in Korea are;

Does my university teaching (3 years) count as relevant experience? (Don't have a Masters, but I can do the TEFL online course easily enough)

I'm turning 29 in January, so that puts me towards the older side of applicants. Would that be a problem?

I'm not doing this really for the money, but I'm also conscious that I will need to save something for the inevitable future. Are people finding the salary is allowing them to put something away?

I had wanted to do this after I finished college, but the career thingy got in the way but it's always something I wanted to go back and try before I move into the professional world.

morch

looks like i'm off to china in February, got my passport all visaed up with a z entry sticker... looking forward to gving a new type of career a go, teaching a weird mix chemistry/maths/english :D

anything to recommend to take along to the middle kingdom with me, apart from my vita and 3ds, some smart clothing and some books?
:D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey English-Teaching-Gaffers.

I've been thinking about applying to teach English in Korea in the near enough future. I'll be finishing my current position teaching in an university come June so I'd ideally like to have something in motion before that. I applied a long time ago before I actually finished college and started my design/teaching career so I'm familiar enough with the application process.

So my questions for the people teaching in Korea are;

Does my university teaching (3 years) count as relevant experience? (Don't have a Masters, but I can do the TEFL online course easily enough)

I'm turning 29 in January, so that puts me towards the older side of applicants. Would that be a problem?

I'm not doing this really for the money, but I'm also conscious that I will need to save something for the inevitable future. Are people finding the salary is allowing them to put something away?

I had wanted to do this after I finished college, but the career thingy got in the way but it's always something I wanted to go back and try before I move into the professional world.
Good. Korea was awesome. Isn't as good now as when I went since EPIK is now gone. If you have a bachelor's you should be good. Is recommend reading up on effective ways to actual teach English though and bring some simple games like Taboo with you as well.
Depending on the class you're teaching and where, you'll most likely be doing more encouragement for discussion than teaching. Still, you should get some grounding in the basic rules to explain so that you're not using the "I'll find out for you later" excuse.

sasimirobot

looks like i'm off to china in February, got my passport all visaed up with a z entry sticker... looking forward to gving a new type of career a go, teaching a weird mix chemistry/maths/english :D

anything to recommend to take along to the middle kingdom with me, apart from my vita and 3ds, some smart clothing and some books?
:D

take nothing. go straight to the bank and open a taobao/alipay account. buy anything and everything you want:

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2014-10/27/content_18808774.htm

no really, there is almost nothing you would need to bring you can't find in china

morch

nice one, I booked my flight, only allowed 20kg with cathay pacific but got a return ticket for under £600 from their post xmas sale :D

5kg of my allowance will be my ps4 and 3ds xl and vita :D

I'm really excited! also need to borrow loads of schemes of work, homeworks and lessons from my current school in England from science and maths departments, might make life a bit easier :D

Go_Ly_Dow

About 5-6 months from finishing my degree around June 2015.

Is there anything I can do around now to prepare for wanting to teach in Japan through JET?

Looking in to a TEFL/Celta course? Doing it now? Do it in June? Any type of Job I should go for with my business degree between June-Apr that may boost my appeal?

Even tho I wouldn't be able to start teaching until March/April 2016 assuming I got through just thought it would be work asking.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

banagher

You wanna be able to show them two things.
-An interest in Japanese culture.
-Experience with working with kids.

If you can show something that combines both even better.
What i did was, i went and found various volunteer work in my city ranging from helping out with the local japanese summer festival to things like tutoring grade 1 kids at a local charity.

As of right now i'm a recent uni graduate and a current applicant for this years JET programme. Just got my letter confirming i've passed the initial stage and can interview in person so i think i've done well so far.

It's a long process so good luck.

Jaffaboy

So I've been applying for jobs in Japan from the UK to hopefully get out there in the next couple of months. I've registered to GaijinPot to look at the job board there but noticed that an overwhelming majority of teaching jobs require that I already reside in Japan, yet they also say that visa sponsorship is available.

Is it typical to go to Japan without a visa and look for jobs whilst there, and then apply for the visa with a sponsorship whilst in the country? Just seems like a backward system to be honest. I'd rather fly over there knowing I'm going into a job and a place to live, or is this just standard and I'll have to bite the bullet? Cheers.

So I've been applying for jobs in Japan from the UK to hopefully get out there in the next couple of months. I've registered to GaijinPot to look at the job board there but noticed that an overwhelming majority of teaching jobs require that I already reside in Japan, yet they also say that visa sponsorship is available.

Is it typical to go to Japan without a visa and look for jobs whilst there, and then apply for the visa with a sponsorship whilst in the country? Just seems like a backward system to be honest. I'd rather fly over there knowing I'm going into a job and a place to live, or is this just standard and I'll have to bite the bullet? Cheers.

Most of those are for spouses of people who moved to Japan and need/want a job or former contract teachers with companies like JET/Interac whose contract ran out or were not resigned/fired. Or in general people who can afford the 3 month stay without a work visa and want to stay on a real job.

In general companies that hire outside Japan like Interac especially, try to draft actually in Japan first then get the rest from outside. Then there are also a few that are in Japan only as it saves on costs and hassle.

Sage00

Once And Future Member

You can get a working holiday visa - http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/working-holiday.html

Most jobs where you're going to a specific area will want you there already yeah (so they guarantee you will come). Places like Interac who place you themselves, give you flights, etc are usually the ones to take overseas applicants.

Jaffaboy

Thanks for the info you guys! I just had a chat with a recruiter from ECC who's invited me to a seminar. Time to go through the grueling elimination process of grammar tests and demo lessons. Sounds tough, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Good. Korea was awesome. Isn't as good now as when I went since EPIK is now gone. If you have a bachelor's you should be good. Is recommend reading up on effective ways to actual teach English though and bring some simple games like Taboo with you as well.
Depending on the class you're teaching and where, you'll most likely be doing more encouragement for discussion than teaching. Still, you should get some grounding in the basic rules to explain so that you're not using the "I'll find out for you later" excuse.

EPIK is gone?

630b78c1ea.png

Can you expand on what you said as someone told me the same thing before but it doesn't seem to be gone/ending to me.

Laieon

EPIK is gone?

630b78c1ea.png

Can you expand on what you said as someone told me the same thing before but it doesn't seem to be gone/ending to me.

I'm pretty sure EPIK isn't gone, but they're definitely downsizing. All the EPIK teachers in my city got this email last month:

NOTICE:2015 RENEWALS (Edited)

We apologize about our belated notification for FEB&MAR renewals.
All government organizations were under parliamentary inspection, where we get the answer for budgets from, and its finally about to end. We would like to ask for your kind understanding. Application for renewal will be sending out to your main school today.

However, Some of you may already have heard but 30% of Jeollabukdo Office of Education’s budget on Guest Foreign Language Teachers has been cut. Due to this reason, there is a possibility that you can be transferred to another city/district within Jeollabukdo after you successfully renew your contract.

Please be advised that screening for renewals will be intensified as compared with the preceding year. (Besides scores from school evaluation and interview result, we will be reviewing your co-teaching video and your yearly performance reviews)

If you have any questions or any concerns, Feel free to email me to ****

Jaffaboy

EPIK isn't gone, but they're cutting positions. Mainly high school and middle school positions, and smaller/rural elementary schools. There's no need for some of those schools to have their own dedicated native teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom