• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Generally speaking just make sure you're not caught flat footed by questions like "Why do you want to come to Japan", "What will you do when you come back", "How would you deal with *x situation which is challenging*" (usually: homesickness, intense culture fatigue/shock, not being able to speak the language fluently, inaka living etc) and just ensuring that you are telling the truth on your SoP/other stuff you've submitted.

Realistically you should be thinking about all of these questions anyway on the assumption that you'll be moving to a different country, so hopefully it won't be too hard coming up with answers.

I may have missed it, but did you have to give an example lesson? At my interview location last year, the next two people were taken to a separate room and given separate teaching scenarios for elementary, junior high, and senior high school. You had to start the interview by teaching one of the scenarios in front of them for three minutes. I chose the elementary scenario cause it seemed easiest, to be honest, but they took that decision to mean I wanted to teach elementary.

My lesson was wack, but I guess they liked the energy and tone with which I gave it.

Boogiepop

Reposting from the Japanese Learning thread since it fits better here:

I've been doing some freelance translating for the last few months and I'm actually starting to get some work with one company. However, I noticed JET prohibits "side-jobs". Would doing some online freelance translating while doing the JET program be a problem with that? Just something I'm kind of worrying about as I'm getting ready for my interview with them, and I feel actually asking about that would probably be a bad idea...

Jaffaboy

Reposting from the Japanese Learning thread since it fits better here:

I've been doing some freelance translating for the last few months and I'm actually starting to get some work with one company. However, I noticed JET prohibits "side-jobs". Would doing some online freelance translating while doing the JET program be a problem with that? Just something I'm kind of worrying about as I'm getting ready for my interview with them, and I feel actually asking about that would probably be a bad idea...

Don't tell them. As long as you don't do it during your hours with your JET school it's nothing to do with them.

Hey all!! I just found this thread and have a couple of questions regarding teaching in Japan or China:

1.) For someone like me who doesn't have a college degree (Yet), but wants to get a TESL Certificate, am I in any way qualified?

2.) Do they accept people with degrees unrelated to English and teaching it (Physics, Art-related, Social Work, etc...)?

I may have missed it, but did you have to give an example lesson?

My lesson was wack, but I guess they liked the energy and tone with which I gave it.

Nah, I think this depends on region you apply from. In USA we only have to do the interview but some places might do it here as well, no grammar test either. That said though I did get asked "give an example of a lesson you would do with a class" which is in the same vein but not a demo. Once again, the best answer is based on what hypothetical age group your teaching.

Overall the best advice I got from the Miami coordinator before my interview on another forum, was "be yourself, pretentious overly practiced answers are obvious."

Realistically you should be thinking about all of these questions anyway on the assumption that you'll be moving to a different country, so hopefully it won't be too hard coming up with answers
Yup. Questions like Why Jet or Japan, ect. are all things you should have an idea of before you even sent out the application I would think.

Don't tell them
That would be my plan if I was taking a side job haha. Online jobs, there is no way they would or could know about it in general. Read about a few people in JET who buy things for people in Japan and ship them internationally for a small profit, few extra hundred bucks a month or something. But if its for an actual company, and you are getting cut a real check and stuff, JET won't let you do it officially. That is simply their rule. Once again... could probably get away with it but no need to ask because officially its not allowed.

1.) For someone like me who doesn't have a college degree (Yet), but wants to get a TESL Certificate, am I in any way qualified?

2.) Do they accept people with degrees unrelated to English and teaching it (Physics, Art-related, Social Work, etc...)?

1. Most companies or organizations that hire require a degree and thats it, be sure to check the info on specific companies to see if they require anything different, TESL is just extra for most. Some require it as well, in general its one of those makes you look like an even better hire.

2. Yup, any degree can apply and get it. Though there is some question to why some people would want the jobs when they have degrees/qualifications to be making 50x the money instead.

Jintor

My pred was regularly freelancing written pieces for various magazines and sites the entire time he was here. Just don't tell anyone and you're probably golden.

Nah, I think this depends on region you apply from. In USA we only have to do the interview but some places might do it here as well, no grammar test either. That said though I did get asked "give an example of a lesson you would do with a class" which is in the same vein but not a demo. Once again, the best answer is based on what hypothetical age group your teaching.

That would be my plan if I was taking a side job haha. Online jobs, there is no way they would or could know about it in general. Read about a few people in JET who buy things for people in Japan and ship them internationally for a small profit, few extra hundred bucks a month or something. But if its for an actual company, and you are getting cut a real check and stuff, JET won't let you do it officially. That is simply their rule. Once again... could probably get away with it but no need to ask because officially its not allowed.

My interview was at the Tennessee Consulate-General.

As for side jobs, you can get them but you need approval of your supervisor, which is really unlikely. I technically have a side job doing translations for the tourism company for my city (this company isn't part of the municipal government). I was given permission to do that and get paid for it separately, but that's probably just because it doesn't take much time and is still promoting my city.

WoodWERD

Tax time is around the corner, any of you Americans have experience filing for your exemption with the IRS? Did you file directly or use someone like HR Block?

numble

Tax time is around the corner, any of you Americans have experience filing for your exemption with the IRS? Did you file directly or use someone like HR Block?
I would just download the forms and file directly. Remember if you don't yet qualify for the bona fide residence test, you can get an extension for until you do meet the test.

had my interview today in NYC, I'm pretty happy about how I did, including the japanese part. i could have done slightly better to show off my strengths but overall it was fluid and none of the questions were surprising. now the long wait till april. good luck to everyone!

Interview with JET went pretty well. Certainly there were things I'm sure I could have done better but I'm happy with how I presented myself and answered their questions.

Jintor

頑張って。。。

ちょっと心配している。。。日本語を勉強することはちょっと難しいだねよ。でも、毎日練習知られば、やさしくなる。。。かも知らない。

...I think...?

morch

The JET wait can be tough, and I couldn't cope with the wait again this year, so much like the LE ps4, good luck neogaf guys and girls!

I'm trying to cram basic mandarin vocabulary myself

I wonder how many people turn a stint of jet interac, epik, China ones... into a long term thing?

I wonder how many people turn a stint of jet interac, epik, China ones... into a long term thing?

Good question. Does not seem like many to be honest. In terms of Japan, Interac seems like its for people who are going to be in Japan if they get the job or not for the most part, then fills in the gaps with folks who just want to go. Jet and epik looks like it grabs the "omg I want an adventure in Japan/Korea like Scarlett Johansson in that one movie" a good bit of the time haha.

Seems like more just leave when their time is up rather than try to find a solid reason to stay. Definitely are a few foreigners who get their foot in the door with companies like this then stay when their contracts are up though.

Good question. Does not seem like many to be honest. In terms of Japan, Interac seems like its for people who are going to be in Japan if they get the job or not for the most part, then fills in the gaps with folks who just want to go. Jet and epik looks like it grabs the "omg I want an adventure in Japan/Korea like Scarlett Johansson in that one movie" a good bit of the time haha.

Seems like more just leave when their time is up rather than try to find a solid reason to stay. Definitely are a few foreigners who get their foot in the door with companies like this then stay when their contracts are up though.

The majority of JET teachers are that way, especially since the JET Program is pretty insistent from the off that your time as an ALT is limited (almost as if they think it's a selling point), but there are also definitely some serious ALTs around--two in my city were recently offered a full-time job directly by their high schools once their time with JET was up. I wouldn't say that example is common, but it can lead into a career. My island of some 50,000 people still has a lot of former JET people living here (I'd say 15-20) after having gotten married to a local or working in tourism/farming, etc. It's not glamorous, but it's long term.

I was with Interac for 5 years. I have some good friends who are still working for them, one has been there for maybe over 7 years, another is a lifer (he's married and in his early 40s). A couple have transitioned into becoming university professors. Of course, I've also seen people stay for just the one year contract and take off.

WoodWERD

I have a hard time seeing myself returning to the rat race that is corporate America. I'm not in love with teaching or China (yet), but I'll continue to soak up the lifestyle and take advantage of the abundant travel opportunities. It's a matter of time until I find something better and/or figure out whether I want to improve my credentials to open more doors.

Speaking of which, I'll be in Taiwan from the 11th-20th if anyone happens to be there and wants to grab a beer.

Jaffaboy

I'd say an overwhelming majority of people teaching with EPIK were there to either pay off student loans back home, or because they couldn't find work back home. There weren't very many people in my city that could boast working an EPIK job any more than 4 years, but there were some people that had started with EPIK and had gone to academies, hagwons or university jobs after. If you're business minded you could make a life out in Korea I'm pretty sure, but not with a long term position with EPIK.

Mistake

Hey everyone, I'll be heading back to Beijing soon and am looking for ideas on good games to bring from the US. Some for adults, some for kids, since they don't have much there. I picked up uno, skip bo, monopoly, and twister. I tried looking for Guess Who? which would be good for teaching questions and faces, but they don't sell the original anymore and the new ones are crap. I'd get it online, but it's $30. Maybe I'll grab candy land, but I'm not sure what else. Anyway, more suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys

Jaffaboy

Hey everyone, I'll be heading back to Beijing soon and am looking for ideas on good games to bring from the US. Some for adults, some for kids, since they don't have much there. I picked up uno, skip bo, monopoly, and twister. I tried looking for Guess Who? which would be good for teaching questions and faces, but they don't sell the original anymore and the new ones are crap. I'd get it online, but it's $30. Maybe I'll grab candy land, but I'm not sure what else. Anyway, more suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys

Go Fish
Pictionary
Apples to Apples
SCRABBLE!!!
JUNIOR SCRABBLE!!!

Those were my bread and butter. Kids absolutely love Uno and Twister too, so good call on those!

Guess Who is good, but you can make your own. I made a version with monsters and stuff, kids loved it! :>

Go_Ly_Dow

Are short term teaching contracts (2-4 months) that common in China?

Completed 2.5 years of my degree, paused my studies and moved back home. Finishing the last .5 next Jan. Since I've got the freedom am thinking it would be good to do something like that in the summer.

Go_Ly_Dow

Bumping again :)

When it comes to TEFL is there a particular provider anyone in the UK would recommend?

Also do employers frown upon online only based courses? There's a 120 or 150 hour programme I'm interested in, but I am completely new to this.

Completed 2.5 years of my degree, paused my studies and moved back home. Finishing the last .5 next Jan. Since I've got the freedom am thinking it would be good to do something like that in the summer.

I'm not sure about China, but Korea offers 6 month teaching contacts for people who haven't finished, or have just finished their degree through a program called TALK Korea.

Bumping again :)

When it comes to TEFL is there a particular provider anyone in the UK would recommend?

Also do employers frown upon online only based courses? There's a 120 or 150 hour programme I'm interested in, but I am completely new to this.

I don't think online only courses are necessarily looked upon as bad, but having a practical element is a plus, even if the rest is online.

WoodWERD

I'd say pretty uncommon, but I don't work on the training mill side of things. You probably wouldn't have trouble finding a job as summer camps are popular, though you'll be in shady visa territory.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm not sure about China, but Korea offers 6 month teaching contacts for people who haven't finished, or have just finished their degree through a program called TALK Korea.

I don't think online only courses are necessarily looked upon as bad, but having a practical element is a plus, even if the rest is online.

I'd say pretty uncommon, but I don't work on the training mill side of things. You probably wouldn't have trouble finding a job as summer camps are popular, though you'll be in shady visa territory.

Cheers both of you.

Will seek to do a online + classroom based TEFL.

Also if there's nothing like that available in China will perhaps seeking a small stint in Europe. Anything to give me practical experience to boost my chances of getting in to Japan.

Darksol

I'm Canadian, without a university degree (college diploma only) but once I finish up this CELTA certification (EFL teacher certification) I'm going over to Japan again to live with my love and teach at whatever place will accept me. Probably a small private language school like she does. I know my options are limited, but it is possible as I know people living and working there with less. My Japanese is intermediate, I have a place to live, and I qualify for a working holiday visa, so I don't have to line up employment ahead of time.

Plan is to spend that year with my working holiday visa finding a source of employment as well as tutor on the side for extra scratch. My love and my friends are teachers, so they've been very helpful to me so far. By the end of that year hopefully I'll have an employer willing to vouch for my standard working visa the following year.

Hey, I'm thinking about doing this. Just looking for some input onto my situation.

Graduated last June, degree in Film Studies. I still want to pursue this as a career long term but 9 months later, I'm living with my parents, working full time night shift hours in a hotel, and am finding it difficult to see a direct path forward.

So my motivation is, I love to travel, want to immerse myself in a different country for a long period and this seems like a good way, also, to save some money and give myself a sense of purpose and enjoyment in life while I continue to develop other plans in the background. It would be the first job I'd take which I think is actually borderline useful and interesting, also.

Right now I can see there is a TEFL course with a few openings this weekend. £195, 20 hour weekend course and 100 hours online coursework. Good idea? Part of me wants to book it right now, but I figure I'd give myself a few hours to mull it over, do a little research. It's not a huge amount of money but enough that I don't want to spend it without thought.

I think on paper I'm a stereotypical candidate, right?

Jaffaboy

^ Change Film Studies for Illustration and working in a hotel for a warehouse and you have me 4 years ago. I went to Korea for two years and I haven't looked back since. Gained a CELTA and moving to Japan tomorrow. Do it!

^ Change Film Studies for Illustration and working in a hotel for a warehouse and you have me 4 years ago. I went to Korea for two years and I haven't looked back since. Gained a CELTA and moving to Japan tomorrow. Do it!

I only sent out an application yesterday and I am setting up a phone interview with a company called Aclipse for next week. They are recruiting for Chungdahm Learning in South Korea - anyone have any inside info or experience with either of these names?

I also applied to Interac, haven't heard anything back from that yet.

vern

What up guys/gals... I don't teach out here, but I live in Shanghai.

Is there any GAF Wechat group? I need new people to spam with gifs...

How about GAF meetups? I browsed the thread a bit, excuse me if I missed it.

If anyone is in Shanghai and down for some Smash or Mario Kart or going out for drinks sometime let me know.

What up guys/gals... I don't teach out here, but I live in Shanghai.

Is there any GAF Wechat group? I need new people to spam with gifs...

How about GAF meetups? I browsed the thread a bit, excuse me if I missed it.

If anyone is in Shanghai and down for some Smash or Mario Kart or going out for drinks sometime let me know.

Sorry, 老北京人 here ;)

Edit: Seems we still dont have a China OT.

vern

Sorry, 老北京人 here ;)

Edit: Seems we still dont have a China OT.

你好哥们儿。没事儿。 你的中文很棒! Haha... I was just in Beijing at CNY for a few days. Always like that place, it's not quite Shanghai though.

So no China OT and no GAF WeChat group? 好可怜

morch

so yeah i arrived in Shandong last week, im nearly at the end of an 8 day shift teaching American maths and chemistry to the same kids 3 hours a day

plus various work dinners, yay sea slugs *cry*

actually im quite liking it in my city of 1 million, relaxed but not too quiet!

numble

so yeah i arrived in Shandong last week, im nearly at the end of an 8 day shift teaching American maths and chemistry to the same kids 3 hours a day

plus various work dinners, yay sea slugs *cry*

actually im quite liking it in my city of 1 million, relaxed but not too quiet!

So are you teaching Americans, or American curriculum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom