• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekniqs

after much pussyfooting around. I think I'm finally going to pursue this thing. Sent an email to a recruiting agency to clarify qualifications needed. If all's good, I'll be taking a TEFL course in the near future and taking the plunge.

edit: well that sucks...gotta hold a BA from one of the 7 main english speaking countries...damn me for going to the Philippines to finish my BSN lol

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Are there any basic resources for talking with ESL kids? I'm working on a weekly talk with two of my cousins and it's just a casual thing. They seem to know a lot of vocabulary, but I feel like i'm always the one driving the conversation, mostly just asking questions. Just wondered if there were any good one on one resources.

Blablurn

So I got a job in China but I'm not sure yet if I wanna take it. I will work there as a texter and translator for company that takes care of German-Chinese relations. Salary will be 6000 RMB in the first 3 months and then 8000 RMB. They will also pay my health insurance and give me 2600RMB housing money every month. We're talking about Beijing here.

I will do a 3 months internship here in Germany before they send me to China. I don't have much work experience so I dont know if I can really be complaining.

Is it possible to survive under these conditions if I go for a small room and a lot of 米饭 in the first months?

PS: Its almost impossible for me to find a decent job in Germany. So I think I kinda have to take it.

PS: Shall we do a 中国 OT? I can do it

numble

So I got a job in China but I'm not sure yet if I wanna take it. I will work there as a texter and translator for company that takes care of German-Chinese relations. Salary will be 6000 RMB in the first 3 months and then 8000 RMB. They will also pay my health insurance and give me 2600RMB housing money every month. We're talking about Beijing here.

I will do a 3 months internship here in Germany before they send me to China. I don't have much work experience so I dont know if I can really be complaining.

Is it possible to survive under these conditions if I go for a small room and a lot of 米饭 in the first months?

PS: Its almost impossible for me to find a decent job in Germany. So I think I kinda have to take it.

PS: Shall we do a 中国 OT? I can do it

Make the OT.

It is possible to survive on that amount. They had nice shared apartment/flats in the student areas that were around that amount back in 2010--so you will share with expat students.

You can get money on the side tutoring English and German. Back in 2010, I knew some guy with a thick German accent getting like 200 RMB/hour tutoring English. I knew a Belgian guy getting around the same to tutor a little Belgian kid.

Once you're in China, you may be better positioned to find other jobs.

Blablurn

Alright. I have plenty of questions. But I guess I save them for the China OT. I guess I will post it in the Community Forum.

Scarecrow

Anyone have any experience teaching in a country besides China or Japan? I'm in China now and thinking I want to try Vietnam in the fall.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was thinking of applying to teach English in Japan but I have a few question to ask;

-What is the pay like?
-Should I somehow fail to get my degree, can I still apply?
-What is the process like when applying?
-What is Japan health care like? since I would need to get replacement hearing aid battery.
-Do I need to know how to speak and read fluently in Japanese?

Laieon

What program are you under?

I'm not under any program, I'm working at a Hagwon that I found through a recruiter. They can be risky (there's some really, really bad schools out there), but if you find a good one it's definitely worth going this route.

I have some friends that went/are going through EPIK and TALK, but they're downsizing so positions are harder to get. They tend to be more stable than Hagwons, and the pay is (I'm pretty sure) the same for the first year (then you could probably find a a Hagwon that's willing to pay more), and I feel like my friends get more time off (but also have more work to do). Another downside is that (I'm pretty sure) if you go the EPIK or TALK route, you'll be the only foreigner at the school, whereas with Hagwons you might have others working there with you, which is nice because you'll have that support network right off the bat.

EPIK and TALK used to be more stable from what I hear, but since they're downsizing so there's no guarantee you'll have that position the following year if you choose to stay.

Jaffaboy

I was thinking of applying to teach English in Japan but I have a few question to ask;

-What is the pay like?
-Should I somehow fail to get my degree, can I still apply? What is the process like when applying?
-What is Japan health care like? since I would need to get replacement hearing aid battery.
-Do I need to know how to speak and read fluently in Japanese?

Pay isn't too bad in most cases, but it's hard to save much in a year due to set up costs and flights.

You can still apply to some places without a degree I think but having a degree will make your life a lot easier in the esl world.

There's national health insurance which is mandatory for all foreigners. I'm pretty sure you could get a replacement hearing aid battery for free/quite cheap. Companies also usually provide health insurance.

You don't have to know any Japanese. At my school you're not allowed to use Japanese in the classroom because it ruins the English immersion. It'll be useful to know a few phrases to get by outside of class but it's not necessary.

thenexus6

So I have been going to a night Japanese class every Wednesday since October which I am enjoying. Two people from my class got accepted by Borderlink to go work in Japan teaching, they actually left the UK about two weeks ago.

I spoke to them briefly about the process and they said (they are a couple) they had had a Skype interview for about ten minutes and got accepted? Is it really that easy with Borderlink?

I am thinking of saving some more money this summer and applying to some places later this year ready for next. I am considering getting a teaching certificate to help strengthen my application.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pay isn't too bad in most cases, but it's hard to save much in a year due to set up costs and flights.

You can still apply to some places without a degree I think but having a degree will make your life a lot easier in the esl world.

There's national health insurance which is mandatory for all foreigners. I'm pretty sure you could get a replacement hearing aid battery for free/quite cheap. Companies also usually provide health insurance.

You don't have to know any Japanese. At my school you're not allowed to use Japanese in the classroom because it ruins the English immersion. It'll be useful to know a few phrases to get by outside of class but it's not necessary.

Thanks for the response.

Forgot to ask this but do I have to any teaching degree or can I use the fact I run a tutoring business with my dad as a good experience?

Raynes

I'm not under any program, I'm working at a Hagwon that I found through a recruiter. They can be risky (there's some really, really bad schools out there), but if you find a good one it's definitely worth going this route.

I have some friends that went/are going through EPIK and TALK, but they're downsizing so positions are harder to get. They tend to be more stable than Hagwons, and the pay is (I'm pretty sure) the same for the first year (then you could probably find a a Hagwon that's willing to pay more), and I feel like my friends get more time off (but also have more work to do). Another downside is that (I'm pretty sure) if you go the EPIK or TALK route, you'll be the only foreigner at the school, whereas with Hagwons you might have others working there with you, which is nice because you'll have that support network right off the bat.

EPIK and TALK used to be more stable from what I hear, but since they're downsizing so there's no guarantee you'll have that position the following year if you choose to stay.

Thanks for your reply, really helpful! You may be the only english scholar at your school, but you definitely have a bigger support network under a program like TaLK due to the month long orientation. Also I'm coming straight out of university and into this with no work experience. TaLK pays for your round trip. And also I don't know any Korean, so would be hard for me to get a position. I doubt I'll get this though since I'm applying so late. They also reduced the time from 1 year to 6 months for everyone applying, due to uncertainty of the programs future. Also TaLK is discontinued for 2016.

What are chances for someone like me with a (soon-to-be) TEFL Certification, but no college degree to land a job in China or Japan?

There is always companies willing to take people without degrees but I would be sure to do some serious research on them before applying/accepting if you find any. Most require a teaching jobs require degree in general is all, but like I said, I have no doubt there are a few out there that do not require it. Most likely it will be a private/third party company looking at prospects like that compared to actual schools is my bet.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
What are chances for someone like me with a (soon-to-be) TEFL Certification, but no college degree to land a job in China or Japan?
Some people use fake degrees you can buy online and get away with it. YMMV, and if you were ever caught they might throw you out.

The stumbling block is more the visa application. It's a real hassle for them to apply for a working visa for someone with no degree, but if it's a more remote school who are desperate for a teacher then they'll probably do it.

There is always companies willing to take people without degrees but I would be sure to do some serious research on them before applying/accepting if you find any. Most require a teaching jobs require degree in general is all, but like I said, I have no doubt there are a few out there that do not require it. Most likely it will be a private/third party company looking at prospects like that compared to actual schools is my bet.

Some people use fake degrees you can buy online and get away with it. YMMV, and if you were ever caught they might throw you out.

The stumbling block is more the visa application. It's a real hassle for them to apply for a working visa for someone with no degree, but if it's a more remote school who are desperate for a teacher then they'll probably do it.

Thanks for the replies!!! What makes it more complicated for someone without a degree to obtain a Visa? I take it that is just a country regulation and bias towards those with a degree? It just sucks since I want to teach and do something that my heart is in the right place for, but didn't finish college because of costs and working full-time + hours.

Jaffaboy

Thanks for the response.

Forgot to ask this but do I have to any teaching degree or can I use the fact I run a tutoring business with my dad as a good experience?

Any degree is fine :) Definitely mention you have that experience somewhere. You don't need teaching experience for most jobs but it'll definitely help. Good luck!

sasimirobot

Lets just say that its very possible in China, and somewhat difficult but not impossible in Japan.

I have done the work permit paper work for quite a few people who didn't have a degree and have not had any problems. The only one that didn't work was a guy from South Africa because the Chinese government wanted an original copy of his degree.

You can even find visa agents that will do all the paper work for you also, they will even provide a degree/bribe for you to use.

Thing about China is that if there is a will there is a way. It usually involves money

About the degree and not having one. I am in the same boat. I went through the Skype interview process with some agencies in Beijing and got offered a couple jobs, but declined. Maybe in the future just for the experience.

But I really wanted to teach in Japan. I applied at some agencies and they liked my corporate training and management experience, blah, blah. I'm going through the process fine, but the recruiter didn't read my resume right and then degree thing came up. She was like sorry, I didn't read thoroughly enough. We can't proceed. Which sucked, they liked me in the interviews. But I guess it was a hard point.

I was in contact with some agency in a Japan rural area who was open to me not having the degree but only if I had hands on ESL teaching experience first. She was the one who recommended I try China first, lol.

Anyways. Good luck. And if anybody knows of an opportunity for a Japan teaching job, hook me up ;)

Ahhh ok. I always heard that China was open to people with a TEFL that don't have a four-year degree. I know Japan can be quite strict, but I am more than happy to teach in China for experience. :) What agencies are you all going through. I leave for Prague later this year to start my in-person TEFL training and am so excited!!!!

Sup guys. I posted in here a few months ago when I was looking for work in China and got some really good advice from some of you. While it might be a bit late now I'd like to say thanks for the wisdom that was shared with me.

Furthermore, after that incident I decided to reconsider my plans and I chose to pursue teaching opportunities in South Korea. It's been a long and tiring mission (Jesus Christ it has) but as of tomorrow I will finally be off on my travels and spreading knowledge of the English language.

I'm going to be living in a fairly sleepy town called Icheon (not to be confused with Incheon) which is about an hour to the south of Seoul. I've read all the horror stories (bad schools, culture shock, loneliness, language barrier, etc.) but by this point I just want to experience these misadventures for myself and hopefully come out of it all a richer character.

So if anyone has any advice or perhaps wants to dote upon a soon-to-be friendless ex-patriot trying to get by in a completely foreign environment, hit me up.

And if anyone has some questions about the South Korean process feel free to ask. I don't have a huge amount of experience to offer but I'd love to give back something to the community here.

Scarecrow

Does anyone have a masters degree? If I want to keep doing this kind of work, it looks like I'm going to need to earn one to stay competitive. What kind of degree do you have and what was the process of studying for it? Are online ones available?

I'm going to be living in a fairly sleepy town called Icheon (not to be confused with Incheon) which is about an hour to the south of Seoul. I've read all the horror stories (bad schools, culture shock, loneliness, language barrier, etc.) but by this point I just want to experience these misadventures for myself and hopefully come out of it all a richer character.

So if anyone has any advice or perhaps wants to dote upon a soon-to-be friendless ex-patriot trying to get by in a completely foreign environment, hit me up.

This is my first year in china, so I don't have too much experience, but I haven't found the language barrier to be too much of a problem. Most people know a little bit of English. Plus, there's a great app called Baidu Translator that can translate lots of Asian languages like chinese, japanese, korean, plus lots of other western languages. I use that app since the google translate app doesn't work that well over here.

I think if you keep an open mind you will do fine. As Agent Cooper would say, " However, it just goes to prove a point that once a traveler leaves his home he loses almost 100% of his ability to control his environment. " Go with the flow!

Jintor

It's important that you make your home a space you feel secure/safe/comfortable in just to recharge etc, i.e. don't sleep on a futon/whatever just because you're in x country when you really need a bed to get a good night's sleep (and other things of that nature)

Seriously I spent a month on a futon out of sheer bloody-mindedness before I just said 'fuck it' and went and got a mattress because my back was killing me

watershed

Banned
Sup guys. I posted in here a few months ago when I was looking for work in China and got some really good advice from some of you. While it might be a bit late now I'd like to say thanks for the wisdom that was shared with me.

Furthermore, after that incident I decided to reconsider my plans and I chose to pursue teaching opportunities in South Korea. It's been a long and tiring mission (Jesus Christ it has) but as of tomorrow I will finally be off on my travels and spreading knowledge of the English language.

And if anyone has some questions about the South Korean process feel free to ask. I don't have a huge amount of experience to offer but I'd love to give back something to the community here.
Explore the hell out of your town. Even the smallest towns have great restaurants, cafes, etc. I really suggest finding what works for you in your town so that you don't "escape to Seoul" every weekend.

Live comfortably because you should be making enough money to do so. Sleep well, meet people, exercise, see the country, etc. Be open minded and try everything. There are wonderful traditional Korean restaurants that a lot of foreigners never try or never seek out. Go to those places.

I seriously doubt the horror stories are the norm. Typically, kids are pretty fantastic. Do your best and consider everything a learning experience. I don't know if you are working private or public but whichever it is, prepare to be flexible but don't give in to every demand, especially if it's something you have good reason to say no to. Other than that, just have a good time.

Rejected by JET (first time applying). Guess I can finally make plans for this summer. Good luck to everyone else here that applied!

Boogiepop

So I got alternate for JET. Kind of disappointed since I thought I was decently qualified and did well on the interview, outside of tripping up a little on the speaking Japanese. I guess all I can do now is keep up with forms and wait?

Anyone have any advice/info or when I could expect to reasonably figure anything out?

So I got alternate for JET. Kind of disappointed since I thought I was decently qualified and did well on the interview, outside of tripping up a little on the speaking Japanese. I guess all I can do now is keep up with forms and wait?

Anyone have any advice/info or when I could expect to reasonably figure anything out?

Same here, alternate. Sucks, but I guess its not quite as bad as being rejected.

From what I've read the alternate status peeps can be contacted anywhere from a few weeks after the accept/alt/reject contacts are made to find out who is willing to go vs. those who had their plans change, all the way to freaking December...

Ugh hope I get called as a replacement soon if at all. Feel like being called weeks or months after they send the main group out is pointless and kinda blindsides people. Supposedly the list of upgraded alternates was big last year whatever that means. Hard to not feel disappointed after all the time though.

Rejected by JET (first time applying). Guess I can finally make plans for this summer. Good luck to everyone else here that applied!

Sad to hear it, there is always next year/other companies if you still are interested.

Aizo

Banned
I didn't get into JET, but my girlfriend did. We planned on moving back to Japan this Summer, so I guess I'll have somewhere to stay!

CorvoSol

Hey guys! I didn't know this was a thing! I've been teaching English in Zhenjiang, Jiangsu, China for the last month. I'm really enjoying this entire thing. China is absolutely wonderful. We went to a strawberry festival this last weekend, and my students are finally easing away from being terrified of a white dude with a beard, haha.

Same here, alternate. Sucks, but I guess its not quite as bad as being rejected.

From what I've read the alternate status peeps can be contacted anywhere from a few weeks after the accept/alt/reject contacts are made to find out who is willing to go vs. those who had their plans change, all the way to freaking December...

Ugh hope I get called as a replacement soon if at all. Feel like being called weeks or months after they send the main group out is pointless and kinda blindsides people.

One of the folks in my city was brought in as an alternate in..October, I think. The person he replaced bailed a week before flying out with the normal groups so they knew they needed a replacement back in August but it still took a while to sort out. The dude found out about being brought in a month before he eventually arrived, judging by when he mailed me, so it seems they do give alternates some time to prepare. He's a high school ALT, though, so it might be different in that case. High school classes can go just fine without an ALT there, as opposed to elementary. Apparently he even gets told he's unneeded for English class and to just sit in the office regularly.

One of the folks in my city was brought in as an alternate in..October, I think. The person he replaced bailed a week before flying out with the normal groups so they knew they needed a replacement back in August but it still took a while to sort out. The dude found out about being brought in a month before he eventually arrived, judging by when he mailed me, so it seems they do give alternates some time to prepare. He's a high school ALT, though, so it might be different in that case. High school classes can go just fine without an ALT there, as opposed to elementary. Apparently he even gets told he's unneeded for English class and to just sit in the office regularly.

Yeah I saw similar stories from people who went with the main intake/alternates. I guess its a how much you show you want to help out or some type of thing.

But holy shit, checking out some of the other forums like reddit and ithinkimlost... apperently people got acceptance emails yesterday, and got another today saying was a mistake. most are who applied out of Houston. WTF.

WoodWERD

I'm in China but still fairly new. I'd just say to keep your standards and expectations in check when you arrive somewhere new. The fewer expectations you have and the more flexible you are will make things less stressful, imo. And just be prepared to laugh off the stupid/crazy shit you're bound to encounter.

JET Canada results are coming out! I got on the alternate list and I'm pretty excited about that even though it means I'm still in a sort of limbo right now!

Aizo

Banned
Since my girlfriend got into JET, I'm trying to get a job in the same area (although we don't know where that will be yet). If it were Tokyo, I have possible jobs, but that's highly unlikely. What are some teaching programs that allow you to specifically choose where you would work?

Since my girlfriend got into JET, I'm trying to get a job in the same area (although we don't know where that will be yet). If it were Tokyo, I have possible jobs, but that's highly unlikely. What are some teaching programs that allow you to specifically choose where you would work?

Interac is the one that sounds like they try hard to get people in locations they request. Basically if you want/need to be in a city for a significant other or w/e people say Interac is the one to try. JET is pretty much countryside placements it seems but it might work out depending where she gets plopped into.

Definitely worth trying but might be iffy until you know where she will be and can decide which companies to apply to when it gets a bit more clear in the coming weeks/months.

Aizo

Banned
I hope my girlfriend is placed in a city so I can get another job somewhat easily... I hope we end up in Himeji or somewhere in the Kinki region, but we'll see...

Izuna

Banned
Oh shiiiii

First interview was epicly awesome to Gaba (Japan).

But unfortunately I got caught up on a silly question on my way home -- explaining the difference between think and know. I ended up reading a ton of philosophical articles and made the whole thing overly complicated, so now I can't think of a way to explain it simply.

Otherwise, it seems the Taito station in Shinjuku doesn't have fighters anymore. Whoops. Travel from Mejiro is good and my Xbox/Netflix works fine. Ready to come back in August and start working.

Aizo

Banned
How quickly can one get into Interac?
Oh shiiiii

First interview was epicly awesome to Gaba (Japan).

But unfortunately I got caught up on a silly question on my way home -- explaining the difference between think and know. I ended up reading a ton of philosophical articles and made the whole thing overly complicated, so now I can't think of a way to explain it simply.

Otherwise, it seems the Taito station in Shinjuku doesn't have fighters anymore. Whoops. Travel from Mejiro is good and my Xbox/Netflix works fine. Ready to come back in August and start working.

What kind of stuff did they ask you? Where are you hoping to work with Gaba?

Aizo

Banned
Interesting. Doesn't sound too intense. Does Gaba mostly give you the choice of where you'd want to specifically work?

How quickly can one get into Interac?

I don't remember the exact circumstances but I've had two friends who've gone to Japan to work under Interac and the space between them posting about Interac interviews on Facebook to posting about being in Japan seemed very brief. Practically rapid compared to the months it takes to get into the JET program. I think there are several interviews in the process but they're in rather quick succession compared to the one big interview with JET.

Izuna

Banned
Interesting. Doesn't sound too intense. Does Gaba mostly give you the choice of where you'd want to specifically work?

For the most part, but check their website, they have a breakdown of where their 41 centres are.

I'll tell you more when I start work but, the vibe I got is (quote me)

Is a degree always necessary for the Japanese programmes? I haven't got one but I've been working in a high school as a learning support assistant for the last five years. Working and living in Japan is something I'd love to do but the cost of getting a degree (in the uk at least) is ridiculous.

Sorry if this is something that gets asked all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom