• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

devo1989

Any word on the ability to swap the shooting controls to L1/R1 on the PS3 ? Really the only thing swaying me to the 360 version if not.

Grisby

Sethos said:
Never understood that, Swat 4 was so bad compared to the epic pile of sex that was Swat 3 ... Guess that's just me :(

;/ I'm not a huge PC gamer and stumbled upon SWAT4 when it came out by chance. I really liked the action and the atmosphere. The online was complete awesome sauce too.

Ive always wanted a cop game set in chicago in the 80's, but this will do. Is there any info on the 3 disc situation and if its just the missions and that city is open on all the discs? And are there side stuff to do and find besides the main story and how that will be handled with the disc swapping. Just trying to figure out 360 or ps3, im a sucker for achievments and have 100% red dead and bully because of them. So im leaning 360.

Fjordson

Outtrigger888 said:
Ive always wanted a cop game set in chicago in the 80's, but this will do. Is there any info on the 3 disc situation and if its just the missions and that city is open on all the discs? And are there side stuff to do and find besides the main story and how that will be handled with the disc swapping. Just trying to figure out 360 or ps3, im a sucker for achievments and have 100% red dead and bully because of them. So im leaning 360.
They've said you switch twice at "natural breaks in the story". They pertain to the main story cases. Everything else is unaffected.

Peff

So does deactivating the clues also switch off the investigation music? Kind of pointless to use it if you have a music track telling you that there is stuff left to investigate.

Stampy

Peff said:
So does deactivating the clues also switch off the investigation music? Kind of pointless to use it if you have a music track telling you that there is stuff left to investigate.

I doubt this will be removed. Even some point & click adventure games use this technique. It adds to the overall atmosphere.

newsguy

So I'm reading that on foot gameplay is like GTA 4 but this game doesn't use Euphoria and uses its own engine. How do we know it wont be total shit?

Chesskid1

Banned
Peff said:

yeah the musical cues in the first 15 min were really damn good. i don't really know which are cues and which are actually game music though, so i don't know what we are losing. we'll find out i guess.

hopefully you can replay missions from the menu. if so, i'll play it once regularly, then once with cues off to see the differences and decide from there which one i would prefer to play.

Peff

Stampy said:
I doubt this will be removed. Even some point & click adventure games use this technique. It adds to the overall atmosphere.

Yeah, I doubt it too... hopefully the music stopping actually means that you've just found "enough" evidence to pull the case together but you can keep looking if you want, that would make it a non-issue.

BurningNad

After not realizing that this game is coming out next week (god damn this month is going fast) until today, I went and preordered at Amazon. Now my hype is back and hype-ier than ever! Everything I read about this game is awesome. I hope it lives up to it all.

rdrr gnr

Hey guys, I went to Amazon earlier today to see if they offered release date delivery again and I saw they did. But when I went into my cart to select it - it wasn't there. So I contacted a representative and they said they would look into it and let me know in 1-2 business days (and that if that was the case I'd still get the $15 promotion). So if some of you guys missed out, go spam their customer service and they might implement it again. US only, btw.

Stampy

Peff said:
Yeah, I doubt it too... hopefully the music stopping actually means that you've just found "enough" evidence to pull the case together but you can keep looking if you want, that would make it a non-issue.

Judging from the in-game instruction "Music will fade down to indicate that all clues at a location have been discovered" points out rather strongly that even if hints are turned off, your only option, if you wish to play as a real detective, would be to turn the sound off too. You know, maybe role playing as a deaf detective, breaking the stereotypes in the noire genre and stuff like that.

Stampy said:
... your only option, if you wish to play as a real detective, would be to turn the sound off too. You know, maybe role playing as a deaf detective ...

Not sure if kidding, but surely you can turn off the music independent from the other sound effects. I plan on doing this, actually, unless it proves too difficult.

Peff

NEOPARADIGM said:
Not sure if kidding, but surely you can turn off the music independent from the other sound effects. I plan on doing this, actually, unless it proves too difficult.

That could work too, assuming Phelp's partners don't act as another "I have a feeling there's something else here" barrier. We'll see.

I really hope the investigation parts of the gameplay are puzzle driven. I want to figure stuff out. Not handheld or vibrated to the hidden clue. This game fascinates me and frustrates me. Let it be an evolution of PC Adventure games and not a high budget simon says.

I need this game to succeed in so many ways. The adventure genre shouldn't be dead.

Stampy

NEOPARADIGM said:

Was joking, but from a different perspective (trying to make it a hyperbole). I was not even thinking that anyone would find it suitable to kill the music in the game just to have that freedom of not knowing when investigation should be closed in a certain location. If this game is as strong as it seems to be in the investigation department, turning music on and off, as the situation calls, would be a real hassle.

Taking into account that this game is more than anything else a cinematic experience, I think rummaging a location for more than is needed would be going in opposite direction of what the authors of the game intended.

LProtag

Yeah, I too hope that I can get a fulfilling experience if I leave on all the sound options. If I can feel like I'm doing all the detective work, even if the game is 'holding my hand' as some would say, then I'm going to enjoy it a lot. I hope they managed to pull that off.

cackhyena

I know this can be applied to most games, but I really wish they had a developer commentary like Valve does for this game in particular. Would be awesome.

Peff

Stampy said:
Was joking, but from a different perspective (trying to make it a hyperbole). I was not even thinking that anyone would find it suitable to kill the music in the game just to have that freedom of not knowing when investigation should be closed in a certain location. If this game is as strong as it seems to be in the investigation department, turning music on and off, as the situation calls, would be a real hassle.

Taking into account that this game is more than anything else a cinematic experience, I think rummaging a location for more than is needed would be going in opposite direction of what the authors of the game intended.

I was mostly joking too. Given that detective work is the big selling point of the game it would be neat to be able to play with as little help as possible, but I don't think any of the evidence searching segments are going to be very difficult regardless since they don't look very complex to begin with (can you combine stuff for example?). So if it comes to that I'll just take what "no assists" offers and leave the rest be.

Grisby

cackhyena said:
I know this can be applied to most games, but I really wish they had a developer commentary like Valve does for this game in particular. Would be awesome.

Yeah, that'd be super cool. Considering how long this thing was in development.

Stampy

It's nice to know that fast travel option is automatically included from the beginning of the game in the notebook options. But what is not nice is that in-game talk between characters is abruptly cut off if a destination point is reached. :/

Chesskid1 said:
it's not only the 3 disks, the ps3 version has an exclusive case (while 360 has a uniform iirc) + ps3 is lead platform. the exclusive case is swaying alot of ppl.

MK9 outsold on ps3 cause of kratos, right?

Yeah but a single case is nothing compared to a controller preference or if you like to see your live friends list/party chat, etc. Again, if you prefer most of the 360's attributes (the aforementioned) then it would be silly to get the PS3 just because of a single extra case and one disc. Now the tech lead I'll accept, but that won't be a big deal unless the 360 is real bad which I doubt. It'd be nice to see some 360 footage to get an idea but I guess I'm jumping in with blind faith :lol

element

I preordered the 360 today. Ended up getting $20 off, so $43 with tax and shipping. No release day delivery though :(

The fact I can install the disc to my HDD and play with little sound is super nice to me.

My biggest fear with the 360 version is them pulling a Mass Effect 2 with the game where if you want to replay missions/cases from earlier in the game (assuming you can, if not would be a very bad choice), you have to constantly switch to whichever disc that case was on.

That + PS3 lead + extra case made it an easy choice. The achievement bug is no longer on me, and I don't care about Xbox Live in a singleplayer experience.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Those who watched the first fifteen minutes- did you regret it afterwards or would you say go for it? I...I don't know what to do. :(

Lakitu

st5fu
chubigans said:
Those who watched the first fifteen minutes- did you regret it afterwards or would you say go for it? I...I don't know what to do. :(

It doesn't spoil a whole lot. Just gives you an insight into how all the detective stuff works. It only hyped me even more.

chubigans said:
I don't regret it at all. It's pretty much a tutorial

It did make me look forward to the full game a lot more after though.

Sethos

Banned
chubigans said:

Didn't spoil anything at all, there wasn't too much revealed and it felt like a really good taster of the game, the atmosphere and how it'll pan out. Do yourself a favour and watch it.

LProtag

I called my Best Buy and they said that if I preorder with in-store pickup online I can get my copy at the midnight release. Probably will be the same for all other Best Buys, in case any of you were wondering about that.

Net_Wrecker said:
My biggest fear with the 360 version is them pulling a Mass Effect 2 with the game where if you want to replay missions/cases from earlier in the game (assuming you can, if not would be a very bad choice), you have to constantly switch to whichever disc that case was on.

That + PS3 lead + extra case made it an easy choice. The achievement bug is no longer on me, and I don't care about Xbox Live in a singleplayer experience.

They already confirmed that that's not the case. You ONLY switch to progress the story, you'll never have to go back to a previous disk for any reason (besides starting a new game ;P)

Aspiring

So with all these unboxing videos, did somebody see the Xbox 360 version? I am worried this is going to be another Blue Dragon and have all the discs juts crammed on top of each other rather than each having the own seperate holder. anyone know if each disc has its own holder?

LProtag

Anddd Amazon has release day shipping open again when I checked just to see before ordering from Best Buy. Going with that!

bitoriginal

Aspiring said:
So with all these unboxing videos, did somebody see the Xbox 360 version? I am worried this is going to be another Blue Dragon and have all the discs juts crammed on top of each other rather than each having the own seperate holder. anyone know if each disc has its own holder?

From what I gathered earlier in the thread, they will unfortunately be stacked on top of each other.

Squall ASF said:
They already confirmed that that's not the case. You ONLY switch to progress the story, you'll never have to go back to a previous disk for any reason (besides starting a new game ;P)

Yeah to PROGRESS the story, but if you can replay missions (and aren't there achievements related to case "scores"?) disc swapping might become an issue depending on how they do it.

Gorgon

Squall ASF said:

I think you're confusing things. The cases are spread throughout the 3 discs. If you want to replay an earlier case from, say, disc 1, then obviously you will have to change the disc.

Chesskid1

Banned
here's the 360 packaging for those who were curious

had to edit out the guy's name cause he wrote a bad website on it

2wnzm94.png

LProtag

Looks like he got it from Best Buy.

Granted, I would have liked the suit from Best Buy a little more, but the 15 dollars of Amazon credit can do a whole lot more for me than 15 dollars at Best Buy.

Chesskid1

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Looks like he got it from Best Buy.

Granted, I would have liked the suit from Best Buy a little more, but the 15 dollars of Amazon credit can do a whole lot more for me than 15 dollars at Best Buy.

yeah the guy who bought it on craigslist/took the pic said the guy had 15 copies each of the 360 version and ps3 version and he was selling them all on craigslist, california i think. he could tell they were from best buy, iirc i think cause of the dlc.

looks like a flippy thing in the middle, right?

LProtag

Amir0x said:
god detective suits are so lame

i wonder how much content a bonus case traditionally has

I'd have liked a bonus case too, but right now I'm a little tight on money so Amazon seemed the best deal for me in terms of money, but I'd be willing to shell out for DLC later. You know what I mean?

RisingZan

Neo Member
Chesskid1 said:
here's the 360 packaging for those who were curious

had to edit out the guy's name cause he wrote a bad website on it

2wnzm94.png

Am I wrong or does that appear to be a "flippy" case, where discs 1 & 2 sit on a plastic flap and disc 3 sits on the other side of the case proper. Kind of like the 360 version of Castlevania. Certainly doesn't look like the discs are just stacked on top of one another. Joy.

Top Bottom