• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 is now free to play forever

Ydahs

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what stops hackers now recreating new Steam accounts and continuously applying their hacks? Knowing Valve, they might have measures which take this into account?

Regardless, this can only be seen as a positive in my eyes. Will be great to see more packed servers and ensure the game's survival for a greater period.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Chinner said:
what the, and i paid for tf2 as well! i demand a hat, i say, a hat!
All paid users deserve a "Filthy Stinkin' Rich" hat while free users get a "Dirty Poor" hat. Do it, Valve!

So I have a question. What is the mentality behind people who pay for hats? It's something I just don't really get. Are there people who pay for maybe one really cool hat and that's it? Or is it mostly hat addicts who get everything to fill out a collection? When a hat could be $10, I say to myself, well, I could be spending that $10 on another game, rather than something relatively useless. Is it mostly just people who get really sucked into the game? I know for WoW with the pet/mount store I would have possibly bought one or two things if I had the money to burn, but it's still something I would have had to think about.

Is the impulse buy threshold of some people really just higher? I know for me on Steam I'll buy almost anything for $2.50 or below, but $5 or higher I'll have to think about whether the deal is worth it or not.

That said, this is exciting news even though I never really enjoyed the TF2 gameplay too much compared to some other shooters. (I bought the Orange Box when it wasn't on sale for $30).

Thoraxes

Diablohead said:
Were you not a PSO junkie like most of gaf? :(
That was in my younger days :)
Yes I did play a lot of PSO too, on both PC and GC. If I can find my memory card I can find out how much time I spent on that, if i can find it >.>

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hope there's some badge for TF2 players that bought the game way back when!

Yasae

Banned
Thoraxes said:
That was in my younger days :)
Yes I did play a lot of PSO too, on both PC and GC. If I can find my memory card I can find out how much time I spent on that, if i can find it >.>
No Dreamcast VMUs? Hall of Shame.

EDIT: Ok fuck it, I'm playing somewhere until the update.

Forkball

CarbonatedFalcon said:
So I have a question. What is the mentality behind people who pay for hats? It's something I just don't really get. Are there people who pay for maybe one really cool hat and that's it? Or is it mostly hat addicts who get everything to fill out a collection? When a hat could be $10, I say to myself, well, I could be spending that $10 on another game, rather than something relatively useless. Is it mostly just people who get really sucked into the game? I know for WoW with the pet/mount store I would have possibly bought one or two things if I had the money to burn, but it's still something I would have had to think about.

Is the impulse buy threshold of some people really just higher? I know for me on Steam I'll buy almost anything for $2.50 or below, but $5 or higher I'll have to think about whether the deal is worth it or not.

That said, this is exciting news even though I never really enjoyed the TF2 gameplay too much compared to some other shooters. (I bought the Orange Box when it wasn't on sale for $30).
Hats are difficult to get, and for people who have more money than time, buying items is a great way to stay up on the game without investing so much time into it. Also, some people just buy them as a way to support Valve and the community members who spend a lot of work trying to improve the game.

hamchan

CarbonatedFalcon said:

Same mentality as the people who pay for 360 avatar clothes and PS Home stuff. They just really like dressing up their avatars I guess :-/

It's pretty much the same thing as dress up dolls except for gamers.

jediyoshi

thetrin said:
I hope there's some badge for TF2 players that bought the game way back when!

There are already badges you can sport that signify if you started playing before a certain date.

Yasae said:
No Dreamcast VMUs? Hall of Shame.

EDIT: Ok fuck it, I'm playing somewhere until the update.
real PSO hardcores imported the Japanese dreamcast version because they couldn't wait for the domestic release

Question for the TF2 pros, do you need hats to make your character better? do you need hats to acquire items? what type of limitations are there for none hat players?

Depending on the answer I will DL this, I have played my share of F2P games so I know the BS these games do in order to make their money...

TheOGB

Banned
I've been listening to epic FINAL COUNTDOWN-type music for about an hour now

when can I stop

Nemesis121 said:
Question for the TF2 pros, do you need hats to make your character better? do you need hats to acquire items? what type of limitations are there for none hat players?

Depending on the answer I will DL this, I have played my share of F2P games so I know the BS these games do in order to make their money...
Hats only make you look cooler. That's it.

Ceebs

Nemesis121 said:

Hats are cosmetic only with the exception of 3 specific hats which are part of a set bonus with some items.

Everything else is just epeen.

Nemesis121 said:

No to all three.

There were several sets that gave bonuses that required a hat to go with the set items, but only one of them is really good and you can craft the hats needed for those sets with items that get dropped during gameplay (i.e., without paying a cent). Either way, they'll all pretty much sidegrades to the default vanilla loadouts. Valve has even said that they'll never do that again, but they don't wanna piss off the people who paid for them by removing the existing sets completely.

Nemesis121 said:

with the exception of 3 hats, all of them are cosmetics, however, before you say something along the lines of "cool, I guess I don't have to worry about hats" keep in mind that hats in TF2 have some mysterious addictive properties, and once you are expose to them...
You are already hat

Remy

Nemesis121 said:

Valve said:
"Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. “I buy hats,” a behatted man seems to say. “I am better than you!”

In wartime, hats were a useful way of conferring rank, and ensuring that casualties were confined to the lower classes (hence the famous command of “Don't fire till you see the tops of their heads” at the Battle of Bunker Hill by William Prescott, a general renowned for only shooting enemy combatants who were poor). During peacetime, hats have been instrumental for men to let the non-hatted know just who is wearing the hat around here."

This should answer most of your hat questions.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jediyoshi said:
There are already badges you can sport that signify if you started playing before a certain date.

I want more! :p

water_wendi said:
Its F2P. The way the F2P model works it is likely they hoping to get new hat buying players in the community. This is not a neutral benevolent move.

ill be impressed with Valve when Half-Life 3 is free to all at launch. Otherwise they are just a company trying to get money from my wallet into their bank account like every other company.

oh the noes! a company trying to get you to buy their product? GASP! oh wait... WAIT... the atrocity of giving a game away for free? Who does Valve think they are?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
venne said:
Game's trash now anyways.

It should be free.

Oh no! Free high quality content was released for three years and now the game totally suxx!

Top Bottom