• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 is now free to play forever

Main issue with this are cheaters.

If cheaters can simply make a new Steam and get a TF2 every time they get banned, it'll be something awful.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Summary Man said:
The things that originally attracted me to TF2 were the artstyle and apparent simplicity, the latter of which seems to have been lost in the years since its release. It's fantastic for fans looking for new ways to play the game, but no-so-great for people like me now intimidated by the vast amounts of weapons and items added to the player inventory.

Play the classic servers like a smart person, it's the only way to save your sanity from bad balance gameplay!

Ashes1396 said:
are there any free2play games on ps3?

Free Realms. But that is utter shit.

If Valve put it on PS3, finally, with the updates they'd be cockslapping MS after years of "well, we may make the updates DLC on 360... maybe..."

DogWelder

Summary Man said:
I've always wanted to play this game (and probably will, now that it's free), but the longer I wait, the higher the barrier to entry seems to be. I feel as though I will be completely lost and confused when I first boot up TF2.

I browsed the "Uber Update" thread, for example, and was stunned to see all the new weapons released solely in this single update. They all have damage modifiers, crit modifiers, mobility restrictions, and so on an so forth, and that's not even including weapons released in previous updates. Also, there's the whole deal with item crafting (I seriously have no idea what this is or how you do it) and crates (likewise). I would have absolutely no idea where to begin or know which weapon/item combinations are the most useful.

The things that originally attracted me to TF2 were the artstyle and apparent simplicity, the latter of which seems to have been lost in the years since its release. It's fantastic for fans looking for new ways to play the game, but no-so-great for people like me now intimidated by the vast amounts of weapons and items added to the player inventory.
Don't be intimidated man, especially since there's gonna be a ton of newbs joining. Just so you know, none of that superfluous crap matters all that much when you first start. Default weapons are almost always the best set-up to play when first starting. Crafting, crates, trading, you'll learn it quick or won't care for it, it's not a big deal.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Won said:
Interesting. No idea what that means for the community, cheaters or hat prices, but interesting.
Its F2P. The way the F2P model works it is likely they hoping to get new hat buying players in the community. This is not a neutral benevolent move.

ill be impressed with Valve when Half-Life 3 is free to all at launch. Otherwise they are just a company trying to get money from my wallet into their bank account like every other company.

Wow. Just wow. I feel-at the same time- really happy I bought the Orange Box on the Christmas sale of '09- and at the same time, kinda disappointed in myself for buying the Orange Box on the Christmas sale of '09. If any, ANY company deserves money and full price for its games- It's Valve. And it's even weirder that Valve is almost constantly lowering the price of their games with sales, price reducing, and even making them Free 2 Play! Oh, well- the more the merrier- now TF2 gonna get flooded with new accounts (I guess?).

water_wendi said:
Its F2P. The way the F2P model works it is likely they hoping to get new hat buying players in the community. This is not a neutral benevolent move.

ill be impressed with Valve when Half-Life 3 is free to all at launch.

Yes, but compared to other F2P models, TF2 DOESN'T require you to make a single purchase to get the items you want (for the most part). It just is a much quicker, more efficient way than crafting, or idling, or drops.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really, really love that Valve are completely shameless in their public litmus testing, it's so damn fascinating.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Experiment my ass, seems to me the only reason they did this is because there was no money left to be made with selling copies. How long has this been out now? I remember paying 2,50 for mine 2 or 3 years ago

Salmonax

Summary Man said:
I've always wanted to play this game (and probably will, now that it's free), but the longer I wait, the higher the barrier to entry seems to be. I feel as though I will be completely lost and confused when I first boot up TF2.
It's understandable that you'd feel this way. It is a little disappointing that the game has become as cluttered and, at times, ugly as it has.

But you can pretty much ignore all that stuff and still be as effective as anyone else. The new weaponry, crafting system, and decorative elements have mainly been a measure to keep veterans engaged, but I don't think they compromise the integrity of the game itself.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool, makes sense since there can't be many Steam users left that want the game but haven't bought it yet.

That being said, I want my $5 back dammit!

sk3

Banned
Honestly is it that big of a deal? I guess it is in the fact that one of the most popular online games becomes free, but who is still paying for this that doesn't have it? It's been like $2 on countless sales.

Baha

water_wendi said:

ill be impressed with Valve when Half-Life 3 is free to all at launch. Otherwise they are just a company trying to get money from my wallet into their bank account like every other company.

Well no shit. Obviously they are making enough money from the Mann. co store alone that they can afford to make the base game f2p. HL3 for free? How does making a single player game free make any kind of financial sense?

For reference, in the first month of the store, one set of items brought in 50,000 dollars for the creator.

Valve takes in 75% of the money, so that 50,000 was only 25% of what Valve made from the sales.

Yea... I have a feeling this model will work just fine without changing the game for old time players at all.

Thermite

3343w5z.gif

hamchan

sk3 said:
Honestly is it that big of a deal? I guess it is in the fact that one of the most popular online games becomes free, but who is still paying for this that doesn't have it? It's been like $2 on countless sales.

All the people in between the $2 and free price levels, which is quite a lot.

commissar

DisenLedZep said:
Main issue with this are cheaters.

If cheaters can simply make a new Steam and get a TF2 every time they get banned, it'll be something awful.
This is my one concern. That said there were already cheaters. But now they have little to lose.

Here's to many more years of TF2 :D

Mrbob

sk3 said:

I believe this is being done to try and tap into the Asian markets. For example, Gabe said in a discussion yesterday how gaming worldwide is much bigger than we all think. He cited 10 million DOTA players from China alone. Perhaps Valve are attempting to tap into this market whom don't buy a lot of games but where F2P is rapidly emerging as a viable option.

And this is yet another reason why EA has their work cut out for them with Origin. Valve will get more publicity with this than EA got when they mentioned Origin 18 times during their presser.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Baha said:
Well no shit. Obviously they are making enough money from the Mann. co store alone that they can afford to make the base game f2p. HL3 for free? How does making a single player game free make any kind of financial sense?
A brand new game for free would be worthy of the gifs used in this thread.

Yasae

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
For reference, in the first month of the store, one set of items brought in 50,000 dollars for the creator.

Valve takes in 75% of the money, so that 50,000 was only 25% of what Valve made from the sales.

Yea... I have a feeling this model will work just fine without changing the game for old time players at all.
See? They get a 3/4 cut for not doing anything. That's how you make money.

Not serious... Kind of.

BigAT

Is it odd that I kind of want to play more TF2 now that it's free despite the fact that I've owned the game for almost 4 years?

Ceebs

Mrbob said:
I believe this is being done to try and tap into the Asian markets. For example, Gabe said in a discussion yesterday how gaming worldwide is much bigger than we all think. He cited 10 million DOTA players from China alone. Perhaps Valve are attempting to tap into this market whom don't buy a lot of games but where F2P is rapidly emerging as a viable option.
I have no doubts this is just their idea of a beta test for DOTA2's release. Work out the bugs with TF2 so they can ship DOTA2 with the most ease.

Nabs

Iadien said:
Incoming cheaters by the thousands.
Maybe, but I'm guessing Valve will only give the game to active accounts with games on it. I guess if you want to cheat, you'll have to horde accounts during Steam sales.

Angry Fork

Paid 10$ for Orange Box on Steam about a year and a half ago. Feel ripped off now, if I just waited I would've gotten it for free + all the updates... wtf valve

EVERYONE DOWNLOAD THIS AMAZING GAME. BEST MULTIPLAYER EVER. Best 10$ I ever spent =D

Ezalc

I paid for this game, I demand an entirely useless visual distinction that only those who have paid for said product can attain even though I no longer have any interest in playing this game due to said pointless visual distinctions and the accompanying other distinctions used to cause harm to my enemy players.

Thoraxes

In one of the interviews they mention being able to disable things on F2P accounts in case they get out of hand.
I wonder if there's a way for freeloaders to upgrade their accounts so they can bypass that distinction? I would guess so.

Nabs

Thoraxes said:
In one of the interviews they mention being able to disable things on F2P accounts in case they get out of hand.
I wonder if there's a way for freeloaders to upgrade their accounts so they can bypass that distinction? I would guess so.

Buy something from the Mann Co?

well Valve certainly showed how to keep those fuckers at bay, but still, triple the community, triple the annoyances

I just want them to change the STABSTABSTAB sniper motto. It's bloody awful

Top Bottom