• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 is now free to play forever

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Despite already owning the game, this announcement has me hopping back into the game. Going to play with a buddy tonight. Should be good times, as usual. :)

Dityrink said:
I haven't played in years, why do you think it's trash?

Probably because of hats.

Which I never understood because they are completely optional and dont effect the game (Except for one set for each class that really isnt great/nobody uses).

My theory is that the people who hate TF2 because of hats do so because they are jealous of the hat wearing aristocracy.

wearing hats in TF2 is the most fucking useless thing ever since you cannot see yourself wearing them, besides some small animations

I still fell for it :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Summary Man said:
The things that originally attracted me to TF2 were the artstyle and apparent simplicity, the latter of which seems to have been lost in the years since its release. It's fantastic for fans looking for new ways to play the game, but no-so-great for people like me now intimidated by the vast amounts of weapons and items added to the player inventory.
Don't be intimidated. When you start the game your inventory will be the same size as it was back when the game launched. You will have the regular baseline weapons for each class so you can learn how the game generally works.

Any of the alternate weapons and items that came since then, you will get at a steady pace from random drops and class specific achievements.

smurfx

get some go again
lol i get all my valve games for free. somebody once gifted me half life 1 and then half life 2 and episode 1 and then i got gifted the orange box. got portal for free when valve gave it away and then i got portal 2 for free from my cousin who bought the ps3 version. funny thing is i haven't played any of the games. i did pay for counter strike source and left for dead 1 and 2 which are other games i haven't played. only game i have played a good deal is counter strike. i probably would play them if i didn't have such a shitty pc. my laptop has a good processor but a crappy built in videocard.

According to the FAQ, free users won't get hat drops or be able to trade away items they find, and will have less crafting options (to prevent alt accounts and item mining). Other users will be able to gift them stuff, though.

They've also got systems in place to monitor alt account creation and make sure abuse doesn't occur with cheaters circumventing bans.

Dug

Banned
Zerokku said:
http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

Free accounts don't get hats and can't trade. Sounds fair enough.
qzaVK.png

incase you can't get in.

elfinke

Hmmm, I haven't played TF2 in yonks despite loving every moment of it that I did play. My medic + your pyro/heavy = domination. Since then the PC has gone on the backburner, and I'm reasonably certain my old laptop doesn't have the powaah to run it.

It seems there is a large GAF playing community though - might have to get back into it with a new PC later this year.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
EmCeeGramr said:
They've also got systems in place to monitor alt account creation and make sure abuse doesn't occur with cheaters circumventing bans.
But they only need one new account to circumvent the ban. This renders the ban list on any server essentially useless.

It also mentions in the FAQ that people who have paid for TF2 at any time will get a "Proof of Purchase" hat.

So there, that will quell those itching for hats.

Montresor

Too bad the 360 version is broken and ignored and too bad I don't game on PCs for anything other than DOTA. Valve sounds like they're making sweet love to their PC TF2 users.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly.
Uh, so it isn't like the other F2P games that require a Steam purchase? Uh oh.

Orayn

Montresor said:
Too bad the 360 version is broken and ignored and too bad I don't game on PCs for anything other than DOTA. Valve sounds like they're making sweet love to their PC TF2 users.
Mostly Microsoft's fault for not allowing Valve to drop a massive update on the game for free.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like all the money off the useless hats came out for a good.

Jzero

Dug said:
qzaVK.png

incase you can't get in.
Fair enough.

Valve said:
Q. What do I get if I paid for the game?
To thank you for your years of support, we will be giving players who have purchased TF2 a special Proof of Purchase hat to wear on any character in-game.
Sweeet

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Montresor said:

They always have.

Qwomo

Dityrink said:
The people who dislike TF2 are used to an unevolving, static multiplayer experience with shallow rewards and mediocre support after release, and little community interaction or appreciation, so they use that metric to grade other multiplayer games. Ergo, TF2, being abnormal, is deemed "trash".
Montresor said:
That's always been Microsoft's fault, not Valve's.

Card Boy

Banned
Campster said:
Oh no! Free high quality content was released for three years and now the game totally suxx!
Dityrink said:

I don't know what his reasons are but I think the game is trash aswell. It all went downhill when the Achievements and unlockable weapons started happening for each class.

Then we got all these hats, weapons, crafting, trading and drop system and that was the final straw for me.

This isn't isolated to one or two servers, basically all servers are ruined with people trading, crafting, or achievement grinding. People don't even bother playing seriously anymore, the game has being in the dunny (toliet) for quite awhile.

Is my only option to host a server? Ef that for a joke. I hate to say this but the PS3 version is the most 'pure' version of TF2 available, despite being a technical mess.

DTKT

The free to play FAQ seems to be down.

How exactly are you a "paid" account? Is it just that you bought the game when it was priced?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DTKT said:
The free do play FAQ seems to be down.

How exactly are you a "paid" account? Is it just that you bought the game when it was priced?
Buying the game prior to F2P (which also nets you a hat), or buying anything from Mann Co.

Jzero

DTKT said:
The free do play FAQ seems to be down.

if you ever paid anything for the game or in game

Edit: beaten

Wow, I hadn't checked the uber update thread, but this was incredible.

Loved Meet the Medic, but I don't think it topped Meet the Spy.
I guess Pyro is finally up to bat... >: D

Really awesome that the game is free now. Enjoy, all of you who have not played yet!

Meet the Medic was neat, though I disliked the multiple Soldiers. In the "Meet The..." universe, each class is a character. They have their own specific personalities and idiosyncrasies. There aren't two Scouts or three Spies, just as how there aren't two versions of me running around. Suddenly throwing all of this out of the window and introducing multiple soldiers was off-putting, to say the least. I didn't realize that the Red and Blu teams were fighting in the Clone Wars.

Chinner

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
Meet the Medic was neat, though I disliked the multiple Soldiers. In the "Meet The..." universe, each class is a character. They have their own specific personalities and idiosyncrasies. There aren't two Scouts or three Spies, just as how there aren't two versions of me running around. Suddenly throwing all of this out of the window and introducing multiple soldiers was off-putting, to say the least. I didn't realize that the Red and Blu teams were fighting in the Clone Wars.
what the fuck

KiKaL

Gez said:
I don't know what his reasons are but I think the game is trash aswell. It all went downhill when the Achievements and unlockable weapons started happening for each class.

Then we got all these hats, weapons, crafting, trading and drop system and that was the final straw for me.

This isn't isolated to one or two servers, basically all servers are ruined with people trading, crafting, or achievement grinding. People don't even bother playing seriously anymore, the game has being in the dunny (toliet) for quite awhile.

Is my only option to host a server? Ef that for a joke. I hate to say this but the PS3 version is the most 'pure' version of TF2 available, despite being a technical mess.

Wow you must have some really bad luck. I've never ran into any of those problems except the first week for each new achievements. Most that is still done in trading servers and achievement servers. You ever play on GAFS server?

Luigi87

Jack Scofield said:

Have you not noticed the number of times the BLUs have been killed in these videos?

Jenga

Banned
Gez said:

play on servers other than achievement farming or trading

ElRenoRaven

Man Valve are being hit hard. The FAQ is hard to get to and my download is averaging 100kb/s when normally I average a shit ton more.

Card Boy

Banned
Jenga said:
play on servers other than achievement farming or trading

I don't think you understand. Normal servers still have Achievement farming/trading/crafting, i literally mean it when i say ALL servers. I live in Australia, there are going to be less a vaierty servers available than say in America or Europe.

Amagon

LOL!!! I'm in love with that Medic video. Makes me feel like a kid again and I got tears going on rite about now. Thank you Valve! :) I really do hope they could make a longer series for these TF2 vids.
EDIT: Wrong thread, same bananas

Orayn

The hat situation is... Weird. The weapon unlocks really aren't hard to acquire or use at all, but just knowing the hats and other items are there has a way of making you cynical about it all. I had the same complaints about the changes as a lot of people in this thread a few weeks ago, but I decided to log back on and play with a big group of old internet buddies - It was great. The game was still every bit as entertaining as it was in those first few magical weeks after release. Maybe I'm just willfully blind, but I just don't see anything broken or un-fun about it.

Mik2121

jim-jam bongs said:
Valve are so well positioned to completely own the Asian market with Steam it's almost sickening.
With a free-to-play FPS? If you mean with the f2p DOTA, then yeah (for China anyway), but posting that comment in this thread makes it sound like f2p tf2 is going to help them, when it really isn't...

Top Bottom